BackPacker's Republic Reviews

Street Chaykovskogo, 37, St Petersburg, Russia

I have stayed in dozens of hostels and this is the first I did not like. One staff member was very nice however the other was not. Zero atmosphere. Lights always off and very quiet. No common room, no music, no interaction with other guests. There are a few great bars on the street, the only good point. Long walk ( 30-40 min ) to Palace Square but good location for Helsinki Rail Station. The toilets were clean but the shower was dirty. I did feel safe and the beds were comfortable.

Small cozy place.Staff are very courteous and easy-going and really make you feel at home.Dorms are very spacious, with power points,free lockers( no need for your own padlock),and very comfortable beds.Very clean and quiet,central location and reasonably priced.

We never found the hostel, though we had payed the reservation fee and announced our arrival time NO ONE answered the phone! And the guidance on the hostelworld site is really contradictory. None of the local Café workers, near the address, even knew the place. I'm not even sure does this place exist or is it just a fraud. Don't Go if you don't know where it is.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • Finland

Disappointed by the management. Not the same atmosphere than that described in the previous posts. Unwelcoming ( no good morning , no tourist advice...).

The hostel was very comfortable and clean. It is not far from the metro as well. So i would reccomend this hostel

Nice hostel, good location, washing machine and free basic breakfast, overall a decent clean hostel. Hostel was pretty empty while we stayed so it didn't have a lot of atmosphere.

We met two personel in the hostel. The one with short hair behaves us like we are not a customer but people who she doesnt like. We felt ourselves very strange with her unsymphatetic behviours. The other girl was always smiling and helping. In hostel, there is no locker service but check-in time is quite late which is 2 pm and if you come to city with train and so early, there is nothing you can do with your luggages. Hostel is full of mosquitos and there is no spray for it.

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Turkey

great hostel! very clean, rooms are very nice and spacious,quiet at night, friendly staff. located in a nice and quiet neighbourhood, 10min walk to the "historical heart".perfect!

A great place to stay in Spb. The girls that work there will do anything to help everybody and the location is a walk away from many attractions. I love it!!

• 11th Jul 2014

it was great stay in this hostel. Value for money and excellent staff. umm I cant wait to come back saint Petersburg and this hostel :)

Very helpfull staff, clean place, backpackers friendly

I felt a bit lost with this hostel.Staff does not bother to recommend activities to people. There is a lot to do in the city but you have to find out all by yourself which can be frustrating. At night staff used to be really loud, so I woke up several times at 5 in the morning and couldnt go back to sleep since they would not calm down. Also I felt staff does not normally mix with non russians or russian speaking guests. In short, didnt like the atmosphere,didn't feel like a backpacker's place.

• 16th Jun 2014

Love the cat.

This is one of the best hostel I have ever been to. For sure it's the cleanest. Location-wise, it's 5-6 minutes walking to a metro station, located in a quiet area of Petersburg (on a parallel street there are embassies to give you an idea), close to many restaurants and 24hours shops. The girls are really nice and there's always a nice atmosphere in the hostel. They also have a lovely cat, Mochila :-) Highly recommended! The only issue is that the common area is a bit too small.

View all St Petersburg Hostels