Backpack Guesthouse / Shantee House Reviews

Takacs Menyhert u. 33, Budapest, Hungary

Shantee House is a gem waiting to be personally discovered by people who have never been to Budapest. I enjoyed every second of it & felt at home from the moment I got there. Never before had I stayed at a hostel with such a communal vibe and openness to discuss intellectually stimulating topics. The garden is blissfully relaxing, the restrooms are kept clean, the kitchen stays packed with food for communal consumption, and best of all the staff is friendly and helpful! Thanks Bori!

• 29th Jul 2015

Lovely hostel! Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. It was a pity that it was too crowded (tents and people everywhere), so not a lot of space to sit and eat.

• 28th Jul 2015
  • Belgium

One of the best hostels ive stayed in for meeting new people, great if youre travelling alone

• 26th Jul 2015

By far one of the best hostels I have ever had the pleasure to stay in. It was full of like-minded and friendly individuals who made my stay so wonderful, especially as I was travelling on my own. The hostel is located on the outskirts of Budapest but transport links are perfect and it was quite nice to be in a more tranquil area of the city for some peace. It was a chilled environment, amazing decor and outdoor area. The communal food fostered a really nice atmosphere of sharing.

• 14th Jul 2015
  • Sweden

Our best hostel by far, such lovely people, atmosphere, room and vibe - the shantee way is the only way

Wonderful place! I already look forward to another visit :)

• 12th Jul 2015
  • Denmark

Such a wonderful place! I don't even know why I stayed anywhere else before!

Coolest hostel I have stayed in. Feels like home as soon as you enter and a great atmosphere to make friends and chill. Not in very centre of town but it was no problem getting there during the day or night. Stayed an extra 2 nights cause I couldn't bring myself to leave!

This is the hostel to sit back and relax after a long day exploring Budapest. People come here with the intention to kick back, engage in conversations, make new friends, and make plans to go out at night. The staff is very helpful with any questions you may have about the city. Enjoy tea, hookah, hammocks, comfortable lounge, stocked kitchen, comfortable beds, buddas, and tranquil music. Located on a residential street on the Buda side, very close to train/metro station.

Probably the best hostel I've stayed in. Everyone is so chill and wants to make friends. The kitchen is fully equipped (they even have a cupcake tray) and the communal food is the greatest idea ever. The staff are amazing, they know exactly which direction to point you in if you ask them, Brian is a champion. Never been so relaxed and felt so at home in a hostel. Careful when booking though, some people accidentally booked tents and didn't realise how hot they can get in summer.

The vibe of this hostel was amazing! Everyone was so kind and a really nice place to stay if you want to chill for a day just lying in your bed or hang out with hostel staff/other travellers, still very easy to get in to the middle of the city and enjoy all the main attractions. Very beautiful and cozy garden too!

• 2nd Jul 2015
  • Sweden

Everybody was really friendly from the start. The staff were so helpful in telling us what was worth doing/how to get there etc. Best atmosphere I've ever come across in a hostel, genuinely feels like a community that you fit into straight away. Not at all a party hostel so if that's what you're into this may be a bit too chill. But for tired travellers looking to meet like minded people in a tranquil and beautiful place it is ideal.

Staff were incredible and general energy was the best of any hostel ive been to.

Good hostel with good vibes. Not too party crazy, but social. Good facilities. Location is far from center, but connected with public transit

I couldn't make it to this hostel, because anyway it seems safe and excellent, I made the reservation because a friend of mine told me it's amazing, definitely I have go to and try

Owner was very down to earth and easy to get along with.

Absolutely everything you want in a hostel. Friendly staff, groovy place, multiple hang-out options and reading nooks, excellent vibe. We stayed in the dorm and in the yurt, which was lovely and well-priced. A quiet place, not a party zone at all, but it creates that charming hostel community perfectly.

My only complaint was that I wish I could have stayed longer! The Shantee House is a vacation and experience in itself- I could have stayed at the hostel the whole time and been happy. I appreciated the Buda side of town, much quieter than the Pest side, and only ran into trouble one night when public transportation made it more difficult to get back to the hostel. I do want to clarify the "2 person tent" for future guests- I accidentally booked it thinking it was the yurt. It's not! Oh well:)

• 5th Jun 2015

The Shantee House is amazing - everything a great backpacker should be! We really enjoyed our stay there as the atmosphere is incredible and the staff super nice and chill. It's not right in the center of Pest but everything is super easy to get to by tram. 100% recommendable - Thanks a tonne!

• 25th May 2015

Amazing place. A bit away from the central city but the staff were so nice and it showed that a lot of attention had gone into making it such a nice place. We booked the tent thinking it was simply cheaper and not as nice as the rest of the hostel but it was very unique and I preferred it over the rooms :)