Backpack Guesthouse / Shantee House Reviews

Takacs Menyhert u. 33, Budapest, Hungary

Seems like a wonderful hostel but during Spring, Summer and Autumn when the seasons are much nacer and you can enjoy the garden. I arrived just before Christmas when it was very cold. I ended up switching hostels because of distance and meeting up with friends in the center. Like I said, seems like a nice hostel but the distance really did it for me once I got there.

Friendliest place we stayed while backpacking Europe. We made good friends in the common areas and received great recommendations from the staff including a restaurant where I had traditional goose, it was the highlight of my trip. I'd love to stay there again! The only downside of our private room is that the shower drained really slowly and was part of the bathroom floor so we always needed our sandals for a couple of hours after showering.

Great hostel! Very good atmosphere and lovely staff. Everything was clean and very spacious. I felt very at home. Kitchen was great lots of communal foods. Location is outside the city but if you want to be outside the busy areas this is perfect.

Awesome decor and amazing zen garden.

• 26th Sep 2015

Amazing hostel. Staff is all so generous, kind, and caring. Great, beautiful facilities. Lovely gardens and spots to sit all over the place. Beautiful atmosphere. Communal vibe which rocks. If you have a general idea of public transportation, hopping on the 107 bus, the night bus, or the teams to the city center won't be a pain. Very easy to get access to city center. Lovely people :)

Fantastic place

Simply the coolest hostel with the most laid-back atmosphere and great decor. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The garden is a real treat.

Great place to stay with super friendly staff. The hostel is nicely decorated with a zen atmosphere, kitchen to cook/prepare meals, chill out area both inside and out with hammocks and a super nice garden. Location is a bit far from the center but easily accessible with public transport and for cheap. This can also be an advantage if you're looking to have your peace and quiet. Definitely recommend as a solo traveler! Thanks guys and keep up the good work

Awesome. I loved the sheesha lounge.

This place was dirty! They also have a pet cat and dog that live there, so beware if you're allergic. This is also NOT a central location to the fun stuff of Budapest and doesn't have the best access to public transport (and taxis in Budapest are a total hassle). If you get a good group of people the atmosphere's cool, though.

I had a lovely stay at shantee house! It was a very tranquil hostel which felt more like a home to be honest. The music they pplayed and the hammocks and yurts outside were so lovely! Reallllly nice vibes. A little bit far out, but in a good way. Yeah, really nice x

Very nice hostel. Has the best atmosphere and lots of commom areas, clean, good beds, green lovely garden, good music playing all the time and stylish. When real travelers open a hostel, the difference with the others is like day and night. They know what the travelers need. Just when i was thinking backpacking europe gets boring, shantee house comes to my rescue.

Excellent hostel. A bit out of the way of the centre of Bidapest but well worth it and public transport is very cheap.

The tents aren't as described in the site and can't support rain. The showers are very bad. The hostel is too far from the center. They don't have lockers and there are people sleeping everywhere around the house.

This is possibly the nicest hostel available. The 6 bed room we stayed in was spotless with a large ensuite bathroom with a shower. We never had to wait to use showers either as ladditional male and female toilets available on the same floor. The vibe in his hostel is very relaxing - a lovely place to chat and meet new people. Do not be put off by the location as budapest is well linked with transportation and takes approx 10 mins into centre. Finally the staff were extremely helpful and lovely!

From looking at the website we thought we would be staying in a big tepee, however we were put in a two man tent that we couldn't fit into at all. Because of the heat we couldn't physically stay in the tent for more than ten minutes until about 1.30 in the morning. We got very little sleep because the tent was so uncomfortable. We moved to another hostel in the centre of Buda where we realised that the location of the Shantee house in the outskirts of pest was very poor as well.

A magical oasis! If you want to stay somewhere close to all the bars and nightlife I recommend staying on the other side of the river.