Backpack Guesthouse / Shantee House Reviews

Takacs Menyhert u. 33, Budapest, Hungary

I felt very much at home and met a lot of cool people. Very tranquil vibe, lots of plants, very interesting Buddhist quote books. Very nice clean wooden floors. Free coffee. Can't recommend enough.

Had been recommended the hostel a number of times for the great traveller's atmosphere it has. Unfortunately this appeared to have left as the peak season finished. As a result we weren't able to socialise at the hostel as much as we would have liked to and also found ourselves a 15 minute tram journey away from the centre. The hostel itself is however a very nice place with an amazing garden to relax, and some very friendly staff.

This hostel.... After 4years from our first stay here, we had to return! The place has changed since then but for the good. You can't find a better atmosphere in the hostel world. With the garden, all the hang out spots and everyone being social and friendly, you won't want to leave. I will be returning in the future!

We stayed at Shantee House on the recommendation of a friend who visited six years ago, as it really made an impression on her! The only downside to staying here is that it's a little far from town, on the Buda side, rather than the more vibrant Pest side – but in the end that didn't bother us, as it was an easy 15-minute ride on the 49 tram into town (even though we went into town every night for dinner/drinks).

Shantee House was by far the best hostel experience I have had. The staff is amazing, the atmosphere is incredible and the other tenants are wonderful. I will definitely return for my next visit to Budapest!

Big lockers in rooms, but not enough for bags. No locks on bedroom doors. Buda, far from the main side of Budapest, but away from the 'party area' so noise wasn't an issue. Really nice atmosphere, Kitchen and communal areas for people to meet each other No wifi in room.

I would highly recommend this place for Budapest

• 29th Aug 2014
  • India

Chilled hostel with lovely staff. Its about 20 minutes from town so not too far out, the street its on is somewhat unassuming but easy to get to by road. World of warning if you go for a tent in late August or September make sure you bring a sleeping bag as it gets chilly at night.

Most amazing hostel I've ever been to! The atmosphere is super chill with lots of hammocks and plants and really cool people hanging out having a good time. I would definitely recommend this place. It felt like home instantly, and it was super easy to meet people as a solo traveler. I think it was a little far from the city center, but worth it for the price and atmosphere (I think it was maybe a 20 minute tram ride). Thank you Shantee house! Hopefully I will visit again soon.

• 11th Aug 2014

Ok so this is one of my favorite hostels, it's beautiful and peaceful with hammocks and greenery outside. The hostel and kitchen have a communal feel with a communal food basket and shelf on the fridge, I spend 5 nights here in the end because me and my friend loved it so much. The common area is beautiful and peaceful and a great place to meet people in the evenings. I slept in the tipi outside for 3 nights which was cheap and a lot of fun, would recommend this to anyone who has a hippy spirit!

Okay, but super super crowded.

This hostel had more of a hippie vibe to it, but if you're looking to relax then this is the place to do it. It's a little far from the city center but Budapest's public transportation makes it easy to get around. There is a gate and 24 hour desk service as well as lockers so nothing to worry about there. I had an incident where someone was sleeping in my tent but I'm guessing it was just a drunken mistake. Overall it was a relaxing hostel which is definitely what I needed.

Great place, sad to leave it :(

Was a nice stay and a good all round vibe. I'd go back again

• 22nd Jul 2014

Nice atmosphere, relaxed people. I happened to have a bad night because of the heat in the tent in the garden and barking dogs from neighbours but the hostel itself was great.

• 21st Jul 2014

Nice hostel in a nice setting. A bit out of town but only a short trip by public transport to be in the centre. Was overbooked when I arrived so a lot of people mist out on beds and were setting up mattresses on the ground with whatever space they could find. I stayed downstairs and to be honest rooms and bathrooms were a bit damp. This being said I had a look upstairs and it looked much nicer. Staff friendly.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. The staff were absolutely amazing, the vibe was super relaxed and friendly, I wish I could've stayed a lot longer. Will recommend to any friends going to budapest!

we were in the downstairs rooms which seemed really dark and dank. downstairs was also 1 shower/bathroom which was used by the 3 downstairs rooms people + those who slept outside. if you stay inside, try to get an upstairs room where its lighter and has better shower/bathroom access.

• 11th Jul 2014

This hostel was the best one we Went to on our one month trip. All the staff are really kind and they made you feel like home. The hostel was made by people that have been traveling around themself and that really shows. There is no lock to the rooms but you can get a lock for free and you can put your stuff in a locker.

Best hostel I've been to in my entire life. The rooms were clean, the showers and toilets got cleaned every day, the staff is amazing, the atmosphere is unbelievable. 10/10, would never stay anywhere else while in Budapest.

• 7th Jul 2014