Backpack Guesthouse / Shantee House Reviews

Takacs Menyhert u. 33, Budapest, Hungary

Most amazing hostel I've ever been to! The atmosphere is super chill with lots of hammocks and plants and really cool people hanging out having a good time. I would definitely recommend this place. It felt like home instantly, and it was super easy to meet people as a solo traveler. I think it was a little far from the city center, but worth it for the price and atmosphere (I think it was maybe a 20 minute tram ride). Thank you Shantee house! Hopefully I will visit again soon.

• 11th Aug 2014

Ok so this is one of my favorite hostels, it's beautiful and peaceful with hammocks and greenery outside. The hostel and kitchen have a communal feel with a communal food basket and shelf on the fridge, I spend 5 nights here in the end because me and my friend loved it so much. The common area is beautiful and peaceful and a great place to meet people in the evenings. I slept in the tipi outside for 3 nights which was cheap and a lot of fun, would recommend this to anyone who has a hippy spirit!

Okay, but super super crowded.

This hostel had more of a hippie vibe to it, but if you're looking to relax then this is the place to do it. It's a little far from the city center but Budapest's public transportation makes it easy to get around. There is a gate and 24 hour desk service as well as lockers so nothing to worry about there. I had an incident where someone was sleeping in my tent but I'm guessing it was just a drunken mistake. Overall it was a relaxing hostel which is definitely what I needed.

Great place, sad to leave it :(

Was a nice stay and a good all round vibe. I'd go back again

• 22nd Jul 2014

Nice atmosphere, relaxed people. I happened to have a bad night because of the heat in the tent in the garden and barking dogs from neighbours but the hostel itself was great.

• 21st Jul 2014

Nice hostel in a nice setting. A bit out of town but only a short trip by public transport to be in the centre. Was overbooked when I arrived so a lot of people mist out on beds and were setting up mattresses on the ground with whatever space they could find. I stayed downstairs and to be honest rooms and bathrooms were a bit damp. This being said I had a look upstairs and it looked much nicer. Staff friendly.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. The staff were absolutely amazing, the vibe was super relaxed and friendly, I wish I could've stayed a lot longer. Will recommend to any friends going to budapest!

we were in the downstairs rooms which seemed really dark and dank. downstairs was also 1 shower/bathroom which was used by the 3 downstairs rooms people + those who slept outside. if you stay inside, try to get an upstairs room where its lighter and has better shower/bathroom access.

• 11th Jul 2014

Best hostel I've been to in my entire life. The rooms were clean, the showers and toilets got cleaned every day, the staff is amazing, the atmosphere is unbelievable. 10/10, would never stay anywhere else while in Budapest.

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

This is a really nice and relaxed hostel with great staff! Nice and clean rooms, common areas and kitchen. Don't miss this place if you are in Budapest and looking for a peacefull stay.

Staff were really lovely and welcoming, great kitchen which was always clean and well-equipped. Very relaxed vibe, an absolute pleasure to stay!! Would definitely come back in a heartbeat!

Really great hostel. Great place to go and chill out, relax in a hammock, smoke some sisha. The staff were fantastic, really friendly and helpful. I'm not sure what else I can say, it's an amazing hostel.