Backpack Oz Reviews

144 Wakefield St, Adelaide, Australia

Older building but great staff, free bikes, and very clean kitchen and bathrooms!

• 16th Jun 2015

We only had a night in Adelaide so this was the perfect hostel. Walking distance from everything... quiet enough to relax but still had a social vibe. Will definitely be back :)

• 13th May 2015

First hostel I've ever stayed in and was pleasantly surprised, lovely staff, good location and plenty of bathrooms.

Probably one of the best I stayed at. Incredible staff/owner, nice atmosphere (nice to get to know people), good money value (free breakfast, free tea or coffee all day, free detergent, cooking utensils, spices and plates available) and clean. While watching a movie with most people yesterday, Sam (the owner) offered us pop corn and ice creams.

The facility was everything you could want out of a hostel. Staff were very friendly and the BBQ on Tuesday night is a great way to meet people at the hostel. As good a location as any, great value for your money.

Good place to stay. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful.

Kind and courteous staff, extremely well located, comfortable and affordable room. Would not hesitate to stay again.

• 26th Apr 2015

Kitchen: tiny / cleanliness: poor. Every single item in the room was weather totally dusty (what are they doing when they clean the room?!) or broken. In some cases both. / There were bins in the toilet room. Higher then my knees and hell, I'm tall!: they were full. Absolutely full. When opened them, you could smell the old tampons. Not emptied in the 3 days I stayed there. How disgusting is that?! / Was bloody in the room cause you couldn't close the window properly. And so on. Hated it.

We don’t often get a poor review like this so we take it seriously. We had a new cleaner commence during your stay but we replaced them quickly due to their performance. NOTE: we have dedicated purpose built sanitary units (bins) in each bathroom for female sanitary products (tampons). We believe we offer a very good standard of cleanliness as indicated by our overall cleanliness rating (80%) but failed this during your stay and apologise for this Thanks for the feedback.

But busy for my liking but that's a personal preference. Staff were friendly apart from the Chinese on reception. Needs to work her people skills. Staff happy to help and talk to you. Rooms cleaned daily. Some free snap on the odd night. Pool tournaments. Happy hour on the beers. Very good location to the CBD. VFM - 6/10. Had to pay for laundry.

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel as the rooms were clean, there were plenty of bathrooms, showers etc. there was also a great fun atmosphere here from the other guests and staff

• 8th Apr 2015

Tuesday nights free bbq and pool is great, good for meeting new people. Kitchen spotless, whole hostel is cleaned daily. Wifi is a little temperamental but is free! Comfy rooms, lots of space, good fun atmosphere without being a 'party hostel'. I would definitely stay again :)

Nice hostel, great people. BBQ night awsome.

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Poland

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great atmosphere - especially on Tuesday night when there was a yummy free BBQ and a pool competition afterwards. Rooms were spacious and tidy. The bathrooms were a bit outdated but generally clean. Big plus for all the poor backpackers: there's a Dominos just next door where you can get Pizza for 5$ all night. All in all I had a great time at Backpack Oz and would definitely return.

The one lady working reception, the Asian lady was very cold and unwelcoming. The rest of the staff and the whole hostel was pretty amazing. The kitchen is a bit small and they have no sharp knives or knife sharpener. But great hostel

The staff were fantastic! Was only there for one night but made me feel very welcome with a free bbq (the best thing I've had in months, and a pool competition!

Fastest internet we had in all of Australia. They had an awesome Tuesday free dinner. White board had a list of things to do everyday for those non pre-planned trips. There was a lot more to see in Adelaide then I thought. Wish I would have had more time there. Average 10 min walk to Rundle Mall/ and Street. Located in the Heart of the city. The open air cinema on Glenelg beach is a MUST do if the weather is nice and you have good company.

A very good place to stay in. Staff, location all good. Tuesday BBQ shouldn't be misses.

The best hostel in Adelaide. If you are a solo traveler, you should stay here. Cons: the carpet in the floor is a little bit old and filthy

Good party hostel with the staff organising fun activities. Door to big dorm didn't close easily so the room wasn't locked most of the time.

Only a few minutes walking from Rundle Mall. there's free lockers in the room (bring your own lock). Bathrooms were clean but the rooms could get dingy and packed easily. very few outlets in my room (the cave- 12 bunks) other than 1 power bar, there were a few upper bunks near power outlets though.