Backpack Oz Reviews

144 Wakefield St, Adelaide, Australia

I really enjoyed staying at this hostel as the rooms were clean, there were plenty of bathrooms, showers etc. there was also a great fun atmosphere here from the other guests and staff

• 8th Apr 2015

Tuesday nights free bbq and pool is great, good for meeting new people. Kitchen spotless, whole hostel is cleaned daily. Wifi is a little temperamental but is free! Comfy rooms, lots of space, good fun atmosphere without being a 'party hostel'. I would definitely stay again :)

Nice hostel, great people. BBQ night awsome.

• 6th Apr 2015
  • Poland

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great atmosphere - especially on Tuesday night when there was a yummy free BBQ and a pool competition afterwards. Rooms were spacious and tidy. The bathrooms were a bit outdated but generally clean. Big plus for all the poor backpackers: there's a Dominos just next door where you can get Pizza for 5$ all night. All in all I had a great time at Backpack Oz and would definitely return.

The staff were fantastic! Was only there for one night but made me feel very welcome with a free bbq (the best thing I've had in months, and a pool competition!

Fastest internet we had in all of Australia. They had an awesome Tuesday free dinner. White board had a list of things to do everyday for those non pre-planned trips. There was a lot more to see in Adelaide then I thought. Wish I would have had more time there. Average 10 min walk to Rundle Mall/ and Street. Located in the Heart of the city. The open air cinema on Glenelg beach is a MUST do if the weather is nice and you have good company.

A very good place to stay in. Staff, location all good. Tuesday BBQ shouldn't be misses.

The best hostel in Adelaide. If you are a solo traveler, you should stay here. Cons: the carpet in the floor is a little bit old and filthy

Only a few minutes walking from Rundle Mall. there's free lockers in the room (bring your own lock). Bathrooms were clean but the rooms could get dingy and packed easily. very few outlets in my room (the cave- 12 bunks) other than 1 power bar, there were a few upper bunks near power outlets though.

• 10th Mar 2015

Excellent Location and very good value for money. Needs a little bit of repair of room door. Carpets are clean but very old.

• 8th Mar 2015

Best hostel I've been in OZ so far. Great staff, very informative (apart from an Asian girl who was always upset) Great atmosphere. There's a pool table to play for free. A nice garden. It's close to everything. Wifi works really well and it's free. Free suncream. I'll come back if I ever visit Adelaide again.

Overall it's ok as hostels go. The staff are friendly and helpful, there's a kitchen, tv, free wifi(!!!), a bar etc.. so you can't go wrong. The rooms were clean and basic however although there was never generally a queue for the bathrooms they don't seem to have many toilets/showers per the amount of beds/rooms and they were a bit old and dingy.

Hi, We have enough bathrooms as per the Australian Standards and like you said there is rarely a queue to get in the shower. We are currently planning some renovations - but in the meantime they are cleaned very well - which is the main thing. Happy travels!

Everything was really good except (and I'm reaching for straws here): - The AC was actually too cold and could not be regulated or turned off - No own alcohol until the in house bar closes (10 pm)

Thanks for your review - too cold is better than no air conditioning in Adelaide during February - trust us! Our bar is pretty cheap - $3.50 beers during Happy Hour and then $5 thereafter. Cheers

Hostel is very nice and location is perfect!

Thanks for taking the time to comment - we appreciate your kind words. Happy travels!

Nice place, the staff do well getting the whole hostel involved in activities.

Great free BBQ on Tuesdays!

Room was a bit dated and could have been cleaner but comfortable, main kitchen/lounge/common areas were clean and tidy, hostel really lacked any sort of atmosphere but probably more down to the people who were staying at the hostel at the same time as us rather than any fault of the staff who were always friendly and helpful, decent enough place to stay if you want a central location in Adelaide, would probably stay again as it's decent value for money.

I was only there for four hours btw 12am-4am and everything was organised perfectly so that I could continue my travels and get some sleep. I would highly recommend this hostel.

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment - even though you were only with us for 4 hours (!) - hope you can stay longer next time!

Good hostel, good location (though a bit further to the bus station than I was lead to believe) with big lockers for backpacks and comfy beds. Staff were really helpful and knowledgeable with things to do in the area. Only downside for me was the very small kitchen space for cooking in, for the size of the hostel, a larger kitchen would have been better as really squashed if more than 2 people wanted to cook at the same time. Enjoyed my stay here, would stay again and recommend to others.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff (advice and tour booking!). Wifi and breakfast are included! Half way between the Greyhound bus station and the city center.

Thanks for the nice comments and happy travels.