Backpack Oz Reviews

144 Wakefield St, Adelaide, Australia

Fastest internet we had in all of Australia. They had an awesome Tuesday free dinner. White board had a list of things to do everyday for those non pre-planned trips. There was a lot more to see in Adelaide then I thought. Wish I would have had more time there. Average 10 min walk to Rundle Mall/ and Street. Located in the Heart of the city. The open air cinema on Glenelg beach is a MUST do if the weather is nice and you have good company.

A very good place to stay in. Staff, location all good. Tuesday BBQ shouldn't be misses.

Excellent Location and very good value for money. Needs a little bit of repair of room door. Carpets are clean but very old.

• 8th Mar 2015

Overall it's ok as hostels go. The staff are friendly and helpful, there's a kitchen, tv, free wifi(!!!), a bar etc.. so you can't go wrong. The rooms were clean and basic however although there was never generally a queue for the bathrooms they don't seem to have many toilets/showers per the amount of beds/rooms and they were a bit old and dingy.

Hi, We have enough bathrooms as per the Australian Standards and like you said there is rarely a queue to get in the shower. We are currently planning some renovations - but in the meantime they are cleaned very well - which is the main thing. Happy travels!

Everything was really good except (and I'm reaching for straws here): - The AC was actually too cold and could not be regulated or turned off - No own alcohol until the in house bar closes (10 pm)

Thanks for your review - too cold is better than no air conditioning in Adelaide during February - trust us! Our bar is pretty cheap - $3.50 beers during Happy Hour and then $5 thereafter. Cheers

Hostel is very nice and location is perfect!

Thanks for taking the time to comment - we appreciate your kind words. Happy travels!

Nice place, the staff do well getting the whole hostel involved in activities.

Great free BBQ on Tuesdays!

Room was a bit dated and could have been cleaner but comfortable, main kitchen/lounge/common areas were clean and tidy, hostel really lacked any sort of atmosphere but probably more down to the people who were staying at the hostel at the same time as us rather than any fault of the staff who were always friendly and helpful, decent enough place to stay if you want a central location in Adelaide, would probably stay again as it's decent value for money.

I was only there for four hours btw 12am-4am and everything was organised perfectly so that I could continue my travels and get some sleep. I would highly recommend this hostel.

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment - even though you were only with us for 4 hours (!) - hope you can stay longer next time!

Good hostel, good location (though a bit further to the bus station than I was lead to believe) with big lockers for backpacks and comfy beds. Staff were really helpful and knowledgeable with things to do in the area. Only downside for me was the very small kitchen space for cooking in, for the size of the hostel, a larger kitchen would have been better as really squashed if more than 2 people wanted to cook at the same time. Enjoyed my stay here, would stay again and recommend to others.

Extremely friendly and helpful staff (advice and tour booking!). Wifi and breakfast are included! Half way between the Greyhound bus station and the city center.

Thanks for the nice comments and happy travels.

Good/normal hostel. Nothing to complain about.

VERY IMPRESSED!! we ended up moving across the street to 'the guest house' for more privacy which was so nice of the staff. The room was clean and comfortable and even had a TV! I felt spoiled staying here and would definitely stay again! 10/10

Thanks! Glad you felt spoiled! Hope to see you again

I would say Backpack OZ might be the best hostel in Adelaide. I like the atmosphere and the ppl who stay in there. The room is comfortable, and the bed is quite cozy. The bathroom and lavatory are both clean.

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Taiwan

Thanks for the nice comments ... we think we are the best hostel in Adelaide but what we think does not really matter ... so it is nice to hear it from a guest. Cheers!

My stay at the hostel was nice, Keep on the good job ! Thanks

• 30th Dec 2014

Thanks! We will!

Pretty decent hostel by Australian standards, pool table and sausage BBQ night were good, free breakfast, on the flipside the atmosphere was a bit dial-tone and they had a couple strange local Australian people staying there. Definitely stay there again

Cool place with a good vibe and friendly staff. The free pool table is an excellent addition.

Yes the free pool / 8-ball table is well loved and well used. Our staff are very important to our guests experience and we select and train them carefully. Happy travels.

Great free bbq on Tuesdays, decent complimentary breakfast and nice matrasses (beds). They organized a lot of events (due to Christmas) and created a nice atmosphere. Daily update on what to do in the city, weather etc. Definitely a hostel to recommend

The free Tuesday BBQ is highly valued and we really try to organise things to help guests to meet each other and get the most out of their stay in beautiful Adelaide. Thanks for the nice comments and we hope to see you again. Cheers!

Nice hostel in a good location, right next to Chinatown. Cameras all over the place, which isn't a bad thing, just different. I definitely think the camera in the kitchen kept things cleaner ;). Really great staff, definitely a fun place. Happy hour drinks, pool competitions and an awesome free bbq while we were there. Proper free bbb too, lots of good food! Great hostel.