Backpackers Central Hamilton Reviews

846 Victoria St., Hamilton, New Zealand

I made a wrong booking , I know it was my fault ! But I tried get the refund back , I sent an email but I haven't got any reply back . I'm pretty disappoint because I expended nearly 50 bucks .

• 26th Jan 2015

Stuffy and cramped rooms and kitchen common area with no windows. Unfriendly staff, limited internet access. Good for one night but not more.

I had a room with a private bathroom. Sink and toilet were clean, but the floor hadn't been swept in quite some time. There was hair all over the place, it was pretty nasty. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed either. The next day after checking out I had little welts or bites all over my body so I'm thinking the sheets hadn't been changed either. Guess this room was "missed" by the cleaner.

Nice hostel in the middle of cowtown (hamilton) comfy beds and ok sized rooms, plenty showers and toilets. Staff fruendly and helpful, nice large kitchen and common area with digital tv and DVDs to rent. One snag is zero alcohol policy but even saying that's its a very minor problem. Would stay here again

A strange hostel that does some things amazingly well, but then fails in others. Really enjoyed the included breakfast, the swipe card entry into the rooms (which also had lockers inside too), and the included Wi-Fi! On the other hand, the place is in need of an upgrade as the mattresses were a bit worn down, the halls and kitchen a little worn down as well. The staff were super friendly though which was nice.

Thought the owner was lovely and very friendly. The atmosphere was very nice and relaxed. It was nice to chill out and watch films in the evening.

Very helpful staff, very clean hostel and nice facilities: big kitchen and bathrooms. It gets noisy at night.

Awesome!!!!!. Staff were very cooperative and helpful.

• 23rd Nov 2014
  • India

I really enjoyed my stay, and the free breakfast is a nice pleasant surprise. I would definitely recommoned this hostel to my friends

Free breakfast featuring cereal and toast. Key card entry into your rooms. Communal bathroom with adequate number of stalls and shower access. Nice, but slightly small area for watching movies. Large Kitchen. Lockers. Rooms are a bit small, but there were lockers in my room, a large mirror and we had a window. No drinking on site. Can be a bit loud if your neighbors are up late chatting. Overall, nice stay.

Dirty room, smells like hell.

Friendly staff and helpful service alround will recommend

• 14th Nov 2014
  • New Zealand

Excellent customer service. I arrived at 4am to somehow a welcoming greeting :)

• 30th Oct 2014

on window rooms ok. but the inside rooms had no windows and so no ventilation (even though there was ducting on the ceiling). Some backpackers had smelly clothing/ laundary. with this and no ventilation meant rooms were stuffy. The comments i got was , at least prison would have ventilation. I thought that accomodation that was cramped would have required fire sprinklers. especially inside rooms , that had no windows.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

Bedroom was extremely dirty. Stains on the bedspread, hair in the sheets, and a strange smell that hits you as you walk through the door. Bugs aplenty in the bedroom as well. The bathrooms and showers were so dirty that we ended up forgoing a shower just so we wouldn't have to use the facilities. Pros: Plenty of couches in the lounge with free coffee/tea/hot cocoa, which was greatly appreciated. The staff were also pretty cheerful. Terrible overall.

• 18th Oct 2014

Very helpful staff, polite and informative - hostel itself had a very cosy feel to it and good facilities

Pretty decent hostel, clean, safe, and good location. Wasn't much of an atmosphere though. Upon arrival I was told the price had gone up because they now provide breakfast. Online it mentioned free breakfast, and all over the hostel was posted "free breakfast" so it was frustrating that they charged me extra. The breakfast was a simple cereal and toast, which is nice if it's free, but I didn't have the option to not pay for it. The way the extra charge was handled felt very unprofessional.

The internet didn't always work which was frustrating at times. Not all the rooms had lockers which I wish they had mentioned before I had booked. But they were helpful in moving me to a different room for just a couple extra dollar. It had lockers and a window which the first one didn't so it was a lot nicer. Being located in the basement was a little depressing at times. Overall, an okay place to stay.

At the quieter end of town. Single room had saggy uncomfortable mattress. The sheets smelled clean but had some marks/hairs. Room smelled damp/musty/smokey - told staff who said they would act upon it. Otherwise room spotlessly clean (though heavily marked carpet) and bathrooms excellent and very clean.

Didn't have the free wifi as promised, the internet just worked on the computers in like 5 minutes.......