Backpackers Citihostel Reviews

61-62 Lower Gardiner Street, Dublin, Ireland

Pros: Clean sheets ,friendly staff if you ask for support, great location, pay for what you get, cheapest hostel locally Cons: mice traps and pest control stickers, out of reach microwave

The room we were given was in the basement, it was filthy, there was holes in the walls, the toilet was dirty, the sink was barely hanging on as was the toilet. It was noisy all through the night, our door barely locked properly leaving security in question. I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. Possibly the worst place I've ever stayed in.

reception staff not very helpful. no organisation when we checked. was placed in 3 different in the first 10 mins of our stay. out of the 2 rooms we were in both were full off eastern European men that worked in Dublin and the dormitories smelt. after our first night we came home and my friends bed had been taken by someone else. we found out the next day that it was some that had wondered in of the street. the bathrooms in the back block of the hostel were dirty and broken.

We first arrived at the hostel with a friend who wasn't staying the night, she was just waiting for us & the staff wouldn't let her stay very long, the bunk beds weren't comfortable at all, the top didn't have railing on the right side which was dangerous if the person rolled over they could fall out the window & when we got back to the hostel later one of the staff forced his way into the room to make sure we didn't have the person with us. I've stayed in a number of hostels & this is worst one

only one toilet and two showers for everybody....

The hostel already know that my room flooded at 2.30am - it was a very dingy room - they arranged for me to go to their sister hostel at 3am which was not ensuite -it was noisier being near the road with single glazing and had a board between my room and the kitchen so people talking in the kitchen at 3am didnt help - I had to get out of bed twice and tell the night porter and then tell the people directly to be quiet and move on- I had to walk up the street of Dublin in my pjamas -

• 7th Feb 2015

tidy clean and update shower facitites..as they were disgusting I contemplated getting my money back and going elsewhere and I would have done if I wasn't only staying for three nights. also i'm pretty certain the sheets had not been changed just made so they looked clean if so that is unacceptable. the staff were friendly but weren't very knowledgeable about certain areas. just needs a bit of care and attention and the place could be really successful as the layout and location are ideal

• 22nd Jan 2015

Few things - unclean, rubbish left in our room with over flowing bin for 2 days. Toilet facilities are substandard, the showers are either freezing or boiling hot. The internet is shockingly slow and disconnects and unreliable the hostel is also filled with people who work in the city and live in the hostel, these guys are mostly good guys but are much older, and tend to keep to their own language speaking groups, not a 'hostel' experience.

• 15th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

maybe some of the rooms inside are okay, but we were placed in a dorm that was essentially a back shed. The entire building smelt of stale beer and the beds were dirty. The bathrooms were awful and the shower didn't have a door. Couldn't get wifi from the room either. Yes it's cheap but there are much better places for the same price on the same street. We thought it was actually a bit funny but don't stay there if you are even the slightest bit fussy.

It was very dirty, unprofessional, and I couldn't wait to leave.

• 6th Dec 2014

The room me and my two friends got was worst one the we have stayed so far. Had a horrible smell, was really dirty and we weren't able to use the bathroom and toilet. Gladly we just stayed one night there. We got in left our stuff and went out because wasn't possible to stay there more than 20 min. We woke up the next day packed our stuff and left as quick as we could. I really don't recommend it to anyone

The facilities were dirty and stunk so nobody in my group showered for fear of getting more dirty. The room had more beds than advertised and they were full of creeps because the price is so cheap. There are no lockers to keep your backpacks which was really inconvenient because once the guy sleeping next to me threatened my life, I had to sleep on my backpack to make sure it didn't go anywhere and I had something to protect myself with. You get what you payed for, and this was dirt cheap.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

This hostel was an absolute dive. The showers were dirty and always clogged so you had to shower in ankle deep water.. The hostel was full of long term old Eastern European men who killed any sense of travellers' atmosphere. It was in a convenient location but I think there are much better hostels nearby. Only stay at this hostel as an absolute last resort! Otherwise you will regret it. I'm a reasonably seasoned traveller and this was the worst hostel i've ever stayed in.

At arrival we were informed that the hostel was overbooked. Staff was not friendly and they didn't even appologize. After insisting they had to give us a room, because we had a valid confirmation mail, they 'offered' us an alternative. We had to pay 20 euro extra because they would provide us with a 'private' room a few blocks further. Lies apparently. One room with no heating. Not a private but a shared toilet and shower, which we didn't use because they were too dirty. Nice!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

The Hostel is okay for people who are staying for one or two nights, want an excellent location ( about 5-7 minutes away fom the City Centre) and don't need to shower there - otherwise flipflops are a must have. And you should also know that you have access to a kitchen but you have to bring your own ingredients. The matress was surprisingly good. It's good for a weekend trip where you just need a cheap hostel to sleep and maybe eat there and want a excellent location. Otherwise it's rubbish.

• 25th Oct 2014

Very dirty, especially the toilets. My brother went to the toilet and because the cleaner was waiting for him he went to the room while the guy was cleaning. When my brother were back his eye contact were gone!! We asked in reception and they didnt see anything but that guy was around and told me that he put the eye contact in the BIN!! why? I said and he told me that my brother was a princess and so slow. He was upset with us with no reason and he put all my brother's stuff in the bin.

The shower room were disgusting: holes in the ceiling, malfunctioning toilets and showers. I actually bought flip-flops just to take a shower. The doors to the shower did not close properly and did not give full privacy. I only saw a handful of showers for a hostel this large; i do not this is good accommodation. The kitchen was rather dirty and in a poor state. There was not much kitchen ware to use. The pictures promised a rather interesting hostel; however it was not the case. False ad.

We booked two double bedrooms and get one four bedroom for the SAME price! What a cheek! The room was really disgusting! It was horrible to take a shower! The location was okay and we were outside as long as possible. Never again!

Kitchen needs some attention, more cutlery and tap repairs. Shower leaked water onto toilet floor

Hostel location is great right next to everything. bed was comfortable and warm considering how cold it was outside. Bathrooms were disgusting!