Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

best hostel I stayed at!

• 14th Aug 2015

Great ommunal read but shred dorm needed more ventilation and the bathroom was disgusting.

• 6th Aug 2015

Full of rats and cockroaches

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Spain

Kitchen is very dirty and in the night I could spot 4 rats in the kitchen. Dorms are ok. Beds are too squeaky. The breakfast was good and it has a nice garden and common room

This place is more like a home than a hostel. As soon as you walk in you're made to feel very welcome. The rooms are great for the price you pay and the kitchen area is like a Japanese garden, it's so nice! I've extended by stay here I've liked it that much. It's not a party hostel so be weary of that. Everyone here is still social but it's more for travellers who work.

The location requires a couple of trains to get to the tourist areas, there wasn't many good places to eat nearby and I did not feel safe and comfortable walking around the streets, even during the day. I didn't speak to all of the staff but only found one staff member helpful and welcoming during my stay. One thing which helped me choose the hostel was free breakfast but it's very limited and was cleared away before half 9. It may also help to clean rooms more thoroughly to avoid the smell.

I felt welcome by the staff and the free breakfast was really good. Had more stuff than you usually get (fresh fruits, cereals, honey and lots more). My room was small, but alright, the rest of the hostel is modern and comfy. The only problem is, that the kitchen+ common area is half open, what kind of sucks in winter. Was freezing the whole time! But nonetheless I recommend to stay there.

I arrived at midnight and had to put in my sheets, whichwas difficult in the dark and the upper bunkbed. It was also kinda cold. But all in all alright.

Personnel nice. Big and clean rooms. Beds really squeaky. But guys be aware of few stuffs: everything is open so it's really cold. Impossible to have my breakfast without my hat and winter jacket. I couldn't stay in the common areas neither.when it's 10 degrees outside it's the same inside. Not convenient at all. And the worst : rats in the kitchen looking for food . Which is disgusting. I couldn't cook anymore when I've seen them . I had to get food and eat outside.

• 23rd Jun 2015

This hostel looked cool, but it was roach infested, several came swarming out of the kitchen cuboard. It was also loud, we had a window open to the common area that we could not close. Guests did not follow the 10:00 sound curfew. And our sink was clogged.

Cockroaches. They're tiny but everywhere during the night. Rats. Never spotted them but pretty sure they're the ones who ripped off my food in the kitchen storage area overnight. Would have stayed longer otherwise.

• 22nd May 2015
  • South Korea

Stayed in a 4 share room, great, clean, nice big lockers, we had our own bathroom which was clean and ventilated. Amazing staff and common area. Absolutely have nothing to complain about.

We had a great stay and loved the staff. Location is really great, organization was good, kitchen was great, breakfast really good! each person had a big locker which is amazing. The only thing is the cleaning people never cleaned the shower in a week/ The floor was a bit dirty as well. And there have been a billion cockroaches in my room but I think they are working on it. Great hostel!

Staff were very lovely and helpful. Breakfast was a nice bonus! Good location.

A good hostel , great staff , free breakfast and wifi . The atmosphere was good to but not for people hew like to party.

Booked for 3 nights ended up staying for 9, such a great hostel. Good atmosphere throughout the hostel, staff are extremely friendly! Kitchen was fairly small and got really busy at certain times, but other than that couldn't fault the place!

Good hostel. Stayed in my fair few so this was a great little place to stay. Definitely stay again.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Wales

This was the best hostel I have stayed in yet. Very nice staff, solid internet and great rooms. Free breakfast and a pretty good location.

lovely commom area, helpful and friendly staff, good location. there were alot of cockroaches, and the kitchen was a tad small.

• 10th Apr 2015

Vi bodde först i 14-beds dorm, i rum 17 för att vara exakt, och det var såååå mycket kackerlackor i rummet! Vi hade i sängarna, väskorna, över golv och väggar! Det var så dåligt städat och gick knappt att bo där Morgonen efter pratade vi med personalen och bad om att antingen få checka ut eller få nytt rum, hon vi pratade med var väldigt otrevlig men tillslut fick vi ett annat rum som var (8 bes dorm) som var fräschare! Se upp med er mat i köket, springer gigantiska råttor där på natten!

• 8th Apr 2015