Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

The location requires a couple of trains to get to the tourist areas, there wasn't many good places to eat nearby and I did not feel safe and comfortable walking around the streets, even during the day. I didn't speak to all of the staff but only found one staff member helpful and welcoming during my stay. One thing which helped me choose the hostel was free breakfast but it's very limited and was cleared away before half 9. It may also help to clean rooms more thoroughly to avoid the smell.

I felt welcome by the staff and the free breakfast was really good. Had more stuff than you usually get (fresh fruits, cereals, honey and lots more). My room was small, but alright, the rest of the hostel is modern and comfy. The only problem is, that the kitchen+ common area is half open, what kind of sucks in winter. Was freezing the whole time! But nonetheless I recommend to stay there.

I arrived at midnight and had to put in my sheets, whichwas difficult in the dark and the upper bunkbed. It was also kinda cold. But all in all alright.

Personnel nice. Big and clean rooms. Beds really squeaky. But guys be aware of few stuffs: everything is open so it's really cold. Impossible to have my breakfast without my hat and winter jacket. I couldn't stay in the common areas neither.when it's 10 degrees outside it's the same inside. Not convenient at all. And the worst : rats in the kitchen looking for food . Which is disgusting. I couldn't cook anymore when I've seen them . I had to get food and eat outside.

• 23rd Jun 2015

This hostel looked cool, but it was roach infested, several came swarming out of the kitchen cuboard. It was also loud, we had a window open to the common area that we could not close. Guests did not follow the 10:00 sound curfew. And our sink was clogged.

Cockroaches. They're tiny but everywhere during the night. Rats. Never spotted them but pretty sure they're the ones who ripped off my food in the kitchen storage area overnight. Would have stayed longer otherwise.

• 22nd May 2015
  • South Korea

Stayed in a 4 share room, great, clean, nice big lockers, we had our own bathroom which was clean and ventilated. Amazing staff and common area. Absolutely have nothing to complain about.

We had a great stay and loved the staff. Location is really great, organization was good, kitchen was great, breakfast really good! each person had a big locker which is amazing. The only thing is the cleaning people never cleaned the shower in a week/ The floor was a bit dirty as well. And there have been a billion cockroaches in my room but I think they are working on it. Great hostel!

Staff were very lovely and helpful. Breakfast was a nice bonus! Good location.

A good hostel , great staff , free breakfast and wifi . The atmosphere was good to but not for people hew like to party.

Booked for 3 nights ended up staying for 9, such a great hostel. Good atmosphere throughout the hostel, staff are extremely friendly! Kitchen was fairly small and got really busy at certain times, but other than that couldn't fault the place!

Good hostel. Stayed in my fair few so this was a great little place to stay. Definitely stay again.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Wales

This was the best hostel I have stayed in yet. Very nice staff, solid internet and great rooms. Free breakfast and a pretty good location.

lovely commom area, helpful and friendly staff, good location. there were alot of cockroaches, and the kitchen was a tad small.

• 10th Apr 2015

Vi bodde först i 14-beds dorm, i rum 17 för att vara exakt, och det var såååå mycket kackerlackor i rummet! Vi hade i sängarna, väskorna, över golv och väggar! Det var så dåligt städat och gick knappt att bo där Morgonen efter pratade vi med personalen och bad om att antingen få checka ut eller få nytt rum, hon vi pratade med var väldigt otrevlig men tillslut fick vi ett annat rum som var (8 bes dorm) som var fräschare! Se upp med er mat i köket, springer gigantiska råttor där på natten!

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Sweden

Karolina the receptionist was so so helpful and friendly!! Generally really clean but the rooms and ensuites were a little dirty. Breakfast was great! Kitchen was overcrowded though.

Liked it, but to be honest people stuck shoes in the doors so it would be easy to just get into any room. There is a massive cockroach problem. They are in the beds, lockers, kitchen etc. nice courtyard and good stuff, free breakfast an the wifi is good.

Very nice atmosphere and guests! Facilities are fine but there are a lot of rules to follow... Staff is fine also...except for KAROLINA the receptionnist at night..she is the BEST! hope Ill see you around Australia!

Nice hostel in the middle of Sydney, staff were friendly and helpful and the courtyard and kitchen are lovely. The rooms were big enough and sheets clean. The private bathroom was small and smelly. It also attracted a lot of insects. Really close to the trains, and all the sights though! Enjoyed the stay overall, but kings cross is not for the faint of heart

The place is reasonably clean and very nice, also if It seems they are fighting a battle with some small insects, and I'm not sure if they are winning it. . They also have a nice area to eat, with a patio, but unfortunately it closes at 10 pm because it's close to some rooms. After that time there's basically no space to use your laptop, except a small tv/common room often occupied with other people partying.