Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

The place is reasonably clean and very nice, also if It seems they are fighting a battle with some small insects, and I'm not sure if they are winning it. . They also have a nice area to eat, with a patio, but unfortunately it closes at 10 pm because it's close to some rooms. After that time there's basically no space to use your laptop, except a small tv/common room often occupied with other people partying.

Very convenient place to stay

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Spain

4 bed dorms are big, plenty of space! Lockers in all doorms. Only negative is that the beds are very squeaky

• 26th Feb 2015

Stayed in a lot of hostels, this one has everything you want from a hostel experience and they do it perfectly.

A decent hostel. Highly recommended for backpackers looking for a proper Sydney experience. Bondi beach and the CBD are easily accessible from kings cross and the hostel is a near-perfect base for all sightseers and travellers who don't want to pay premium rates.

Overall a good stay. Beds are comfortable though super squeaky, at least in my room, and some dorms have the added bonus of ensuite bathrooms. Facilities are good and security as well with two locked doors to get into the building at night and it's a generally clean place. My one complaint is that check out is way way way too early - before 10 am in a set up where you remove your sheets and bring them to the reception when you go so the bed is immediately ready for the next check in.

Great place and very beautifull but mixed rooms can be a little messy and dirty depending on the guests there. Good experience

• 5th Feb 2015
  • Chile

The hostel was beautiful, inside and out. The Kitchen was well maintained, and the outdoor patio area was stunning. The Internet was slow, and frequently wouldn't work so you'd have to switch to a different network over and over. the people working there were nice, and helpful when it was needed. The location was convenient but wad very loud at night, which was not a problem for myself, but it is across the street from a very busy club. Overall I had a nice stay.

Nice garden and clean kitchen, breakfast also pretty good for a hostel. Staff was very unfriendly though (one exception) which made me leave the hostel. Also strange prices for the rooms. When I arrived there I paid the online price, but when I wanted to extend my stay, the price for the room was suddenly $11 more and the staff was unwilling to give me a discount and also very unfriendly and didn't listen to what I was saying. Good facilities but wouldn't stay there again.

This hostel is having a huge problem with roaches. They are everywhere and this is something that needs to be fixed because it is not nice at all. You r not allowed to bring friends, if you do, you will be fined with 50 $. The staff is mostly friendly. There is a older guy, he is a bit weird. He did not allow me to take a scale to my room for checking the weight. The atmosphere is alright but i had much better hostels in sydney. Would not recommend to stay here.

14 bed door was so dirty, I could not even find a path to get to my own bed. managers seemed not ccare enough to do anything about this when i claimed about its cleanliness. i saw small cockroaches everywhere and i woke up in middle of night with sound of mice squeaking in walls. Outside looks pretty good in this hostel, but horribly dirty inside. I do NOT recommend this hostel. WORST one I ever staied in 17 mont of traveling around the world.

We were a bit disappointed. We had another association with that hostel, because of all the good comments. It was definitely a nice hostel and well located, but there are a lot of things to improve. First of all there was no aircon, nowhere! The beds are very annoying, if you just turn around. The bathroom in our bedroom was nice, but the toiler lid was loose. It was clean, but not the cleanest. Anyway, it is a very beautiful hostel, but without aircon and new beds we wouldn't recommend it.

It's like sleeping in a sauna every night. The kitchen is located at the back with an outside area, first night my food got stollen (I understand this happens from time to time) then the second day I came to my new food to find that some rodent had eaten it all, with there being no door on the kitchen anything can just wander in. Lot of long term travellers there, most are welcoming some not so much.

DON'T STAY HERE. The manager(Bruce) is disrespectful, blunt and unhelpful. few reasons to complain; 1I was way over charged for my room. 2My food was stolen 3There was NOTHING deluxe about the poorly circulated bad-smelling pit. Typically,NYE and NY Day would be pricey But to stay I HAD to book 5 nights and after the 2nd the price went right down as now the nye celebrations were over.Therefore I was paying 70$per night extra (110$ per night total) for what others were paying as low as 30$.robbed

Hostel was great! Very friendly and helpful staff. A great layout which encourages a good atmosphere and more social backpackers. The facilities and location are good. Only things that could improve is the wifi and lack of air con in the rooms.

The hostel was very clean and modern, the kitchen & bathrooms were spotless. The outdoor seating area beside the kitchen was great & the kitchen had everything you need plus the free breakfast was a bonus! The wifi is free and is really fast. The staff were very pleasant and the hostel dog is adorable! The hostel is right beside the train station and close to the city & shops. The rooms are roasting because the fan isn't great & we were paying $100 p/n due to New year rates which was over priced

Excellent hostel, rooms were great, modern, and spacious. Staff really helpful and free breakfast was a great touch.

• 24th Dec 2014

This place was alright. I stayed in there over Christmas. All the working backpackers had formed their own little clique and were pretty determined not to let anyone join in on their fun which wasn't great for the atmosphere. Also, this place seems to enjoy marketing its wifi which is quite simply terrible. Especially in the evenings, it can take hours to just sign on to the wifi. Very nice design but won't be coming back.

A very clean and proper hostel, with a cool an unique atmosphere

• 21st Dec 2014

This hostel could be a charming place if it was not for the total lack of isolation of the room, and the extremely dirty rooms. There is no noise restriction policy whatsoever, and most of the rooms have no windows, I have experienced a lot of hostels before, and I really don't mind people having fun in the commons rooms, unfortunately in this hostel the noise level goes beyond the roof. Also the cleaners waking you up at 8 o'clock are more an annoyance than anything, and the roaches are a bonus

• 21st Dec 2014