Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

I have REALLY enjoyed my stay at Backpackers HQ! People and atmosphere are awesome! The location is decent ( right close to the Kings Cross station, a grocery, a liquor store and maybe 20 min walk from the Sydney Botanical Gardens!) The only negative thing I can think of is the location of the showers, you have to walk through the common dining area to use the main bathrooms/showers! Room 17 is prime.

• 12th Sep 2014

I stayed there twice. Make sure you get a room with an indoor bathroom. Otherwise it's freezing to go take a shower on the ones at the hall area. Breakfast is ok. People seem to be living there which made it hard to meet people. Def not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in Australia nor in Asia. Good location considering the price and how close it is to the train station.

Have to pay deposit of 40AUD for key and a plastic cup, very strange. Cutlery and plates are in the kitchen. Why I have to hold the cup in my room?! Brekkie very basic, just toast and spreads and cereals.

Quite possibly the best hostel I've stayed at. The only negatives I can come up with are that the bunk bed squeaked, the shower curtain let water through and thereby creates mini-floods in the bathroom, the refundable deposit is $40, and the common patio/kitchen/courtyard closes at 10 (but there is still another, smaller kitchen and a common tv room you can use). Fantastic design, lovely people, exceptionally clean, better breakfast (with fruit!) than any other hostel I've been to.

The room smelt.

Really nice hostel! A bit pricey in relation to other hostels nearby, but it's worth it. The included WiFi is very fast, unlimited, and available throughout the whole building thanks to eight (8) access points! Kitchen facilities are a bit crowded during peak times, which makes it hard to cook, but other than that they're really good.

The staff do not knock before entering a room- rude. When changing one morning, an older man walked into the room whilst I was in my underwear. I was clearly very embarrassed but he made no effort to apologise or to leave the room to let me compose myself! Weird atmosphere as most people live permenantly making it cliquey. Also found a mouse had eaten some of our food stored in the kitchen and the staff were neither surprised nor proactive in sorting out the problem.

• 18th Aug 2014

I loved this hostel!!! They had large lockers in each room and plenty of room to move around. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a good time and our tour bookings went through. Bathrooms were clean, with a free breakfast, and free wifi! If I ever go back to Sydney I will definitely stay here again!

• 8th Aug 2014

I know I booked to stay in a hostel but there are standards for these places. The staff were unfriendly, didn't communicate well, and completely unhelpful. I stayed in a 8 person dorm and had to walk downstairs and through the common eating area to use the toilet or shower. The kitchen was a mess and had things crawling around in the microwave. If I had to choose between here and the brothel across the street, I'd choose the brothel hands down. Run away!

Nice shared space inside and nice outdoor deck area. Small rooms, weird/small uncomfortable bathrooms. Small and awkward kitchen space that gets very crowded at meal times. Nice staff in a pretty good location. Not a great place to stay but not a bad one either.

Cleanliness of hostel room bathrooms can be improved Staff grumpy and non approachable Found the kitchen too small for the amount of people

• 5th Aug 2014

Best receptionist since travelling for 9 months. Super helpful and thoughtful!! Was is Karolina?? I am sure I'm wrong but she's polish and amazing!!

• 4th Aug 2014

Very strict rules, but the best hostel we've stayed in the past 7 months if you look at cleanliness, wifi, atmosphere, ...

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

Lovely hostel- nice communal areas, good free breakfast, free wifi, friendly and helpful staff. Only draw back is that some of the long stay people think they own the place and can be rather rude, but this is obviously not the hostel's fault! Would definitely stay again though!

This is one of the few hostels I have stayed at where you could see that the staff made a huge effort to keep the place clean. Some commenters on here didn't like that the hostel has rules, but I, for one, found that they kept the place from being simply another loud, dirty, party hostel. Great location as well. I would definitely stay again. Note to staff: making everyone keep up with their own cup for the duration of their stay is kind of annoying.

Didnt have lockers to all bed in the room and only took the trash not cleaned the room.

• 31st Jul 2014

Unfortunately this hostel has a lot of long stay guests and they take over the kitchen and tables after 6pm so it's really hard to cook or have somewhere to sit after this time. It's a really nice hostel with a nice kitchen, outdoor area and other facilities but the long term stayers make a huge mess everynight and usually have the toilets plugged by about 8 pm so this really detracts from the hostel. They are adding additional toilets but after 11 pm there are only 3 available for everyone.

Staff were great and rooms very secure. Only problems were shower was iffy, lots of heavy fines (easily avoidable though) and so many long termers that if you're only there for a day or two it's hard to break in

Pros: good location, aesthetically pleasing. Cons: unreliable WiFi, small showers with unpredictable water temperatures, bathrooms facing common area without door to separate the two (awkward), staff not very polite/helpful, loud common room that can be heard from all rooms at all times, excessive rule enforcement=unfriendly atmosphere

Awesome hostel, internet is fast, pretty clean, staff is very friendly and kind, but the bed are very noisy!!

• 16th Jul 2014