Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Great hostel however the only thing I could pick at was the fact that after 10 the kitchen was locked until the morning so if your up late and want some food or up early before work your stuffed , apart from that id highly recommend this place

• 12th Dec 2014
  • Scotland

Great hostel. Great environment. The staff is friendly, resourceful, and helpful. I immediately felt welcome. I used this hostel initially because a friend stayed there and recommended it to me when I first got to Sydney. Then I did a tour of the east coast and when I returned to Sydney I didn't even look into other hostels because I knew this was where I'd want to be.

• 24th Nov 2014

Everything good. Awesome location (bit of a dodgey area) but if you're looking to party on kings cross you couldn't be closer. Only bad thing is the kitchen it terrible. The smallest kitchen I've ever been in. Only a 2 sets of stoves and 1 sink. Pretty terrible and chaotic around meal time which led to us buying simple warm up food or going out. Other than the sucky kitchen, everything was clean secure and all round livable. Oh cleaners hoovering in the room at early hours was a bit annoying

Central hostel in Sydney's party district. Different rooms - e. g. first floor to the street is really great with balcony, others are party very small. Didn't have the chance to try the breakfast included because I left for the airport early. Good shuttle service for 12 AUD.

Staff very friendly

• 15th Nov 2014

Warning: For anyone considering staying here/long term housing: Staff seem friendly, accommodating and helpful up front but that is a two faced facade! Immediately upon letting them know there were severe issues with cleanliness(including disgusting bathrooms and cockroaches crawling all over the kitchen!) and basic kitchen appliances not working we were kicked out. They don't want to clean, fix, honour their own lease or deal with anything. You will be screwed over if you raise any concerns.

• 14th Nov 2014

Would stay again.

I have been travelling Australia for almost two years and this is one of the worst hostels i've stayed in. The staff are the rudest, most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered. If you do not wash and dry just one plate or kitchen utensil you will incur a $50 fine. One guy who could not speak English, had his photograph taken by the camera and posted around the hostel "congratulations you have a $50 fine waiting." welcome to Australia, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

• 12th Nov 2014
  • Wales

Really friendly and helpful staff. Great kitchen facilities, lots of equipment! Good choice for breakfast. We were really grateful for the free bbq on Wednesdays. Bathroom facilities were modern and kept very clean! Our first time in a hostel and we really enjoyed staying!!! Thanks guys!!!

• 4th Nov 2014

nice courtyard, great people, nice rooms, tasty breakfast kitchen is very crowded at dinnertime

Great long term hostel. lots of people working there on holiday work visas. Great environment, super social, reminds me of a uni dorm. Great place to get set up in Sydney. Free breakfast is awesome to cut costs and start day off right. Potential risk of bed bugs, and showers were typically kind of dirty are the only bad things to say about it. Awesome experiance 10/10 would stay again.

No complaints except our bedroom floor hasn't been swept since we've been here and I'm not a fan of the shower curtain as I find them unhygienic. Excellent free wifi, staff, breakfast and friendly atmosphere.

No value for money, small rooms, really dirt and distuating bathrooms, small kitchen, I could possible move without get hurt. Noise from the street, very thiny walls. You can hear ANYTHING! Some positive things: - Location, close to supermarket, trainstation, botanic garden and only 30 minutes walk to the Opera House and the City. - The kitchen area is nice and clean - Friendly long-term people - Wifi

The rooms including the bathroom was dirty. Beds we're small and really old and squeaky, you couldn't turn while sleeping without waking up everyone. An excellent WiFi was promised, it wasn't good. Sometimes there wasn't even a connection. That's why I left the hostel after 2 nights, although I've booked one more night.

Really enjoyed my stay at Backpackers HQ, everything was modern and facilities were good. Free breakfast really helpedwith your budget in Sydney. Everyone was really friendly and there was a great atmosphere at the hostel. Only problem I found was that the kitchen was tiny for how many people there were in the hostel, bit if a nightmare trying to cook. Staff at reception were really helpful, would stay there again.

I have REALLY enjoyed my stay at Backpackers HQ! People and atmosphere are awesome! The location is decent ( right close to the Kings Cross station, a grocery, a liquor store and maybe 20 min walk from the Sydney Botanical Gardens!) The only negative thing I can think of is the location of the showers, you have to walk through the common dining area to use the main bathrooms/showers! Room 17 is prime.

• 12th Sep 2014

I stayed there twice. Make sure you get a room with an indoor bathroom. Otherwise it's freezing to go take a shower on the ones at the hall area. Breakfast is ok. People seem to be living there which made it hard to meet people. Def not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in Australia nor in Asia. Good location considering the price and how close it is to the train station.

Have to pay deposit of 40AUD for key and a plastic cup, very strange. Cutlery and plates are in the kitchen. Why I have to hold the cup in my room?! Brekkie very basic, just toast and spreads and cereals.

Quite possibly the best hostel I've stayed at. The only negatives I can come up with are that the bunk bed squeaked, the shower curtain let water through and thereby creates mini-floods in the bathroom, the refundable deposit is $40, and the common patio/kitchen/courtyard closes at 10 (but there is still another, smaller kitchen and a common tv room you can use). Fantastic design, lovely people, exceptionally clean, better breakfast (with fruit!) than any other hostel I've been to.

The room smelt.