Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

It's like sleeping in a sauna every night. The kitchen is located at the back with an outside area, first night my food got stollen (I understand this happens from time to time) then the second day I came to my new food to find that some rodent had eaten it all, with there being no door on the kitchen anything can just wander in. Lot of long term travellers there, most are welcoming some not so much.

DON'T STAY HERE. The manager(Bruce) is disrespectful, blunt and unhelpful. few reasons to complain; 1I was way over charged for my room. 2My food was stolen 3There was NOTHING deluxe about the poorly circulated bad-smelling pit. Typically,NYE and NY Day would be pricey But to stay I HAD to book 5 nights and after the 2nd the price went right down as now the nye celebrations were over.Therefore I was paying 70$per night extra (110$ per night total) for what others were paying as low as 30$.robbed

• 31st Dec 2014

The hostel was very clean and modern, the kitchen & bathrooms were spotless. The outdoor seating area beside the kitchen was great & the kitchen had everything you need plus the free breakfast was a bonus! The wifi is free and is really fast. The staff were very pleasant and the hostel dog is adorable! The hostel is right beside the train station and close to the city & shops. The rooms are roasting because the fan isn't great & we were paying $100 p/n due to New year rates which was over priced

Excellent hostel, rooms were great, modern, and spacious. Staff really helpful and free breakfast was a great touch.

• 24th Dec 2014

This place was alright. I stayed in there over Christmas. All the working backpackers had formed their own little clique and were pretty determined not to let anyone join in on their fun which wasn't great for the atmosphere. Also, this place seems to enjoy marketing its wifi which is quite simply terrible. Especially in the evenings, it can take hours to just sign on to the wifi. Very nice design but won't be coming back.

A very clean and proper hostel, with a cool an unique atmosphere

• 21st Dec 2014

This hostel could be a charming place if it was not for the total lack of isolation of the room, and the extremely dirty rooms. There is no noise restriction policy whatsoever, and most of the rooms have no windows, I have experienced a lot of hostels before, and I really don't mind people having fun in the commons rooms, unfortunately in this hostel the noise level goes beyond the roof. Also the cleaners waking you up at 8 o'clock are more an annoyance than anything, and the roaches are a bonus

• 21st Dec 2014

Nice atmosphere, beautiful courtyard, well-equipped kitchen and helpful staff. The hostel is located in King's Cross, supposedly a dodgy area but I didn't have any trouble at all. I saw some cockroaches on the facilities and one in our room and the beds were squeaking a lot.

Very good hostel with excellent people. Love the place, definitely recommend it

• 17th Dec 2014

This is a really nice place to stay - even though a little more pricey than other places around the same area. Quiet, with an open court yard and open kitchen, lots of plants and a bunch of free stuff throughout the week (i.e. BBQ, free breakfast). They advertise free unlimited 'fibre-type' internet. Unfortunately the network was slow most of the time. You could use it to look up mails and say 'Hi' on Facebook but that's all. Uploading images or watching Youtube videos was near impossible.

Good hostel, with a nice staff. Good kitchen and A Nice garden. The only thing i didnt like were the camera's in the kitchen.

• 15th Dec 2014

Great hostel however the only thing I could pick at was the fact that after 10 the kitchen was locked until the morning so if your up late and want some food or up early before work your stuffed , apart from that id highly recommend this place

Great hostel with friendly, helpful staff. Only downside is the common area closes very early, meaning everyone has to cram into one small tv room which was less than ideal. Also, lots of ways to accrue charges while there ($50 fine for not washing dishes (there's a security camera and public humiliation involved), a fine for losing cups (you are given two to take care of upon check in), etc. Open the patio back up or keep it open longer and this would get a perfect score.

Great hostel. Great environment. The staff is friendly, resourceful, and helpful. I immediately felt welcome. I used this hostel initially because a friend stayed there and recommended it to me when I first got to Sydney. Then I did a tour of the east coast and when I returned to Sydney I didn't even look into other hostels because I knew this was where I'd want to be.

• 24th Nov 2014

Everything good. Awesome location (bit of a dodgey area) but if you're looking to party on kings cross you couldn't be closer. Only bad thing is the kitchen it terrible. The smallest kitchen I've ever been in. Only a 2 sets of stoves and 1 sink. Pretty terrible and chaotic around meal time which led to us buying simple warm up food or going out. Other than the sucky kitchen, everything was clean secure and all round livable. Oh cleaners hoovering in the room at early hours was a bit annoying

Central hostel in Sydney's party district. Different rooms - e. g. first floor to the street is really great with balcony, others are party very small. Didn't have the chance to try the breakfast included because I left for the airport early. Good shuttle service for 12 AUD.

Staff very friendly

• 15th Nov 2014

Warning: For anyone considering staying here/long term housing: Staff seem friendly, accommodating and helpful up front but that is a two faced facade! Immediately upon letting them know there were severe issues with cleanliness(including disgusting bathrooms and cockroaches crawling all over the kitchen!) and basic kitchen appliances not working we were kicked out. They don't want to clean, fix, honour their own lease or deal with anything. You will be screwed over if you raise any concerns.

• 14th Nov 2014

Would stay again.

I have been travelling Australia for almost two years and this is one of the worst hostels i've stayed in. The staff are the rudest, most unfriendly staff I have ever encountered. If you do not wash and dry just one plate or kitchen utensil you will incur a $50 fine. One guy who could not speak English, had his photograph taken by the camera and posted around the hostel "congratulations you have a $50 fine waiting." welcome to Australia, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!

• 12th Nov 2014