Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Central hostel in Sydney's party district. Different rooms - e. g. first floor to the street is really great with balcony, others are party very small. Didn't have the chance to try the breakfast included because I left for the airport early. Good shuttle service for 12 AUD.

Staff very friendly

• 15th Nov 2014

Would stay again.

Really friendly and helpful staff. Great kitchen facilities, lots of equipment! Good choice for breakfast. We were really grateful for the free bbq on Wednesdays. Bathroom facilities were modern and kept very clean! Our first time in a hostel and we really enjoyed staying!!! Thanks guys!!!

• 4th Nov 2014

nice courtyard, great people, nice rooms, tasty breakfast kitchen is very crowded at dinnertime

Great long term hostel. lots of people working there on holiday work visas. Great environment, super social, reminds me of a uni dorm. Great place to get set up in Sydney. Free breakfast is awesome to cut costs and start day off right. Potential risk of bed bugs, and showers were typically kind of dirty are the only bad things to say about it. Awesome experiance 10/10 would stay again.

No complaints except our bedroom floor hasn't been swept since we've been here and I'm not a fan of the shower curtain as I find them unhygienic. Excellent free wifi, staff, breakfast and friendly atmosphere.

No value for money, small rooms, really dirt and distuating bathrooms, small kitchen, I could possible move without get hurt. Noise from the street, very thiny walls. You can hear ANYTHING! Some positive things: - Location, close to supermarket, trainstation, botanic garden and only 30 minutes walk to the Opera House and the City. - The kitchen area is nice and clean - Friendly long-term people - Wifi

The rooms including the bathroom was dirty. Beds we're small and really old and squeaky, you couldn't turn while sleeping without waking up everyone. An excellent WiFi was promised, it wasn't good. Sometimes there wasn't even a connection. That's why I left the hostel after 2 nights, although I've booked one more night.

Really enjoyed my stay at Backpackers HQ, everything was modern and facilities were good. Free breakfast really helpedwith your budget in Sydney. Everyone was really friendly and there was a great atmosphere at the hostel. Only problem I found was that the kitchen was tiny for how many people there were in the hostel, bit if a nightmare trying to cook. Staff at reception were really helpful, would stay there again.

I have REALLY enjoyed my stay at Backpackers HQ! People and atmosphere are awesome! The location is decent ( right close to the Kings Cross station, a grocery, a liquor store and maybe 20 min walk from the Sydney Botanical Gardens!) The only negative thing I can think of is the location of the showers, you have to walk through the common dining area to use the main bathrooms/showers! Room 17 is prime.

• 12th Sep 2014

I stayed there twice. Make sure you get a room with an indoor bathroom. Otherwise it's freezing to go take a shower on the ones at the hall area. Breakfast is ok. People seem to be living there which made it hard to meet people. Def not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in Australia nor in Asia. Good location considering the price and how close it is to the train station.

Have to pay deposit of 40AUD for key and a plastic cup, very strange. Cutlery and plates are in the kitchen. Why I have to hold the cup in my room?! Brekkie very basic, just toast and spreads and cereals.

Quite possibly the best hostel I've stayed at. The only negatives I can come up with are that the bunk bed squeaked, the shower curtain let water through and thereby creates mini-floods in the bathroom, the refundable deposit is $40, and the common patio/kitchen/courtyard closes at 10 (but there is still another, smaller kitchen and a common tv room you can use). Fantastic design, lovely people, exceptionally clean, better breakfast (with fruit!) than any other hostel I've been to.

The room smelt.

Really nice hostel! A bit pricey in relation to other hostels nearby, but it's worth it. The included WiFi is very fast, unlimited, and available throughout the whole building thanks to eight (8) access points! Kitchen facilities are a bit crowded during peak times, which makes it hard to cook, but other than that they're really good.

The staff do not knock before entering a room- rude. When changing one morning, an older man walked into the room whilst I was in my underwear. I was clearly very embarrassed but he made no effort to apologise or to leave the room to let me compose myself! Weird atmosphere as most people live permenantly making it cliquey. Also found a mouse had eaten some of our food stored in the kitchen and the staff were neither surprised nor proactive in sorting out the problem.

• 18th Aug 2014

I loved this hostel!!! They had large lockers in each room and plenty of room to move around. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a good time and our tour bookings went through. Bathrooms were clean, with a free breakfast, and free wifi! If I ever go back to Sydney I will definitely stay here again!

• 8th Aug 2014

I know I booked to stay in a hostel but there are standards for these places. The staff were unfriendly, didn't communicate well, and completely unhelpful. I stayed in a 8 person dorm and had to walk downstairs and through the common eating area to use the toilet or shower. The kitchen was a mess and had things crawling around in the microwave. If I had to choose between here and the brothel across the street, I'd choose the brothel hands down. Run away!

Nice shared space inside and nice outdoor deck area. Small rooms, weird/small uncomfortable bathrooms. Small and awkward kitchen space that gets very crowded at meal times. Nice staff in a pretty good location. Not a great place to stay but not a bad one either.

« first « Prev 1 2 3