Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

The room smelt.

Really nice hostel! A bit pricey in relation to other hostels nearby, but it's worth it. The included WiFi is very fast, unlimited, and available throughout the whole building thanks to eight (8) access points! Kitchen facilities are a bit crowded during peak times, which makes it hard to cook, but other than that they're really good.

The staff do not knock before entering a room- rude. When changing one morning, an older man walked into the room whilst I was in my underwear. I was clearly very embarrassed but he made no effort to apologise or to leave the room to let me compose myself! Weird atmosphere as most people live permenantly making it cliquey. Also found a mouse had eaten some of our food stored in the kitchen and the staff were neither surprised nor proactive in sorting out the problem.

• 18th Aug 2014

I loved this hostel!!! They had large lockers in each room and plenty of room to move around. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a good time and our tour bookings went through. Bathrooms were clean, with a free breakfast, and free wifi! If I ever go back to Sydney I will definitely stay here again!

• 8th Aug 2014

I know I booked to stay in a hostel but there are standards for these places. The staff were unfriendly, didn't communicate well, and completely unhelpful. I stayed in a 8 person dorm and had to walk downstairs and through the common eating area to use the toilet or shower. The kitchen was a mess and had things crawling around in the microwave. If I had to choose between here and the brothel across the street, I'd choose the brothel hands down. Run away!

Nice shared space inside and nice outdoor deck area. Small rooms, weird/small uncomfortable bathrooms. Small and awkward kitchen space that gets very crowded at meal times. Nice staff in a pretty good location. Not a great place to stay but not a bad one either.

Cleanliness of hostel room bathrooms can be improved Staff grumpy and non approachable Found the kitchen too small for the amount of people

• 5th Aug 2014

Best receptionist since travelling for 9 months. Super helpful and thoughtful!! Was is Karolina?? I am sure I'm wrong but she's polish and amazing!!

• 4th Aug 2014

Very strict rules, but the best hostel we've stayed in the past 7 months if you look at cleanliness, wifi, atmosphere, ...

• 4th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

Lovely hostel- nice communal areas, good free breakfast, free wifi, friendly and helpful staff. Only draw back is that some of the long stay people think they own the place and can be rather rude, but this is obviously not the hostel's fault! Would definitely stay again though!

This is one of the few hostels I have stayed at where you could see that the staff made a huge effort to keep the place clean. Some commenters on here didn't like that the hostel has rules, but I, for one, found that they kept the place from being simply another loud, dirty, party hostel. Great location as well. I would definitely stay again. Note to staff: making everyone keep up with their own cup for the duration of their stay is kind of annoying.

Didnt have lockers to all bed in the room and only took the trash not cleaned the room.

• 31st Jul 2014

Unfortunately this hostel has a lot of long stay guests and they take over the kitchen and tables after 6pm so it's really hard to cook or have somewhere to sit after this time. It's a really nice hostel with a nice kitchen, outdoor area and other facilities but the long term stayers make a huge mess everynight and usually have the toilets plugged by about 8 pm so this really detracts from the hostel. They are adding additional toilets but after 11 pm there are only 3 available for everyone.

Staff were great and rooms very secure. Only problems were shower was iffy, lots of heavy fines (easily avoidable though) and so many long termers that if you're only there for a day or two it's hard to break in

Pros: good location, aesthetically pleasing. Cons: unreliable WiFi, small showers with unpredictable water temperatures, bathrooms facing common area without door to separate the two (awkward), staff not very polite/helpful, loud common room that can be heard from all rooms at all times, excessive rule enforcement=unfriendly atmosphere

Awesome hostel, internet is fast, pretty clean, staff is very friendly and kind, but the bed are very noisy!!

• 16th Jul 2014

I've been in Australia since September last year and this is defiantly the best hostel I've stayed in so far. The owners/staff have though about every little detail including plug sockets for the top bunkers, showing us the facilities when checking in and free continental breakfast. I stayed in a 10 bed dorm with an en-suit which was great, the only thing that could have made it better would have been free tea and coffee throughout the day but otherwise I really enjoyed my stay.

• 15th Jul 2014

$50 fines for not cleaning up was ridiculous, everyone felt the need to rush to clean up therefore the kitchen was hectic as no one wanted a stupid fine. Kitchen was small and dirty anyway. Staff were rude and wanted a copy of my card which I had to give or I couldn't get my deposit, I was very uncomfortable with this. Overall rooms were ok but atmosphere was depressing and everyone was very noisy, wouldn't stay here again.

Thank you for your feed back. As you can gauge from our other reviews & guest feedback you seem to be the only person with such concerns. We pride ourselves on being a clean, secure & organized hostel & the fines only effect guest who do not have the thought or courtesy to consider others. As our kitchen & common areas are for the use of ALL guest it is very important that guests simply clean up after themselves.

administrator must remind theirs cleaner who must washing the bathroom in a dorm room every day, don't just clean the rubbish, because the shower room and the toilet is not cleanliness and look like yellowing. but in first floor the public bathroom and toilet are the cleanest !

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

My stay at Backpackers HQ was a great experience. Staff were very friendly and provided invaluable advice with regards to day trips and a general orientation of Sydney - Thanks Carolina, Tom and all) Located very close to Kings Cross Station which makes it easy to get just about anywhere, and 20 min walk to the Opera House through the wonderful Royal Botanic Gardens. Bring your own padlock for Lockers. More bathroom sinks needed and kitchen can get busy. One sink in kitchen also insufficient.