Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Very convenient place to stay

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Spain

Aside from Carolina?, the staff/owners are very weird... they threaten $50 fines constantly, using cameras to pick out certain ppl in the kitchen. very strict on guest as well! it didn't feel dirty but I saw several cockroaches and never saw my bathroom be cleaned. Kings Cross is the red light district and a bit of a walk from the centre, though the underground is very near. the atmosphere is mixed as many ppl are long term workers. Free breakfast was the best I've had so far though.

Found staff quite rude, on arrival I was bogged down with consequences (fines) for if you don't follow the hostels many many rules. They take a scan copy of your passport and credit cards. The hostel was dirty. Also the kitchen closes which is inconvenient. Most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on which squeaked when I breathed.

I sat on a chair with that apparently was covered with ants. After that I found out that the staff was informed that 2 weeks earlier the same rhing happend to another girl and they disn't clean it. That made me mad cause I couldn't sit for days!! Also the staff was very controlling and full of mistrust of the guests. Kept tellibg me that there is a camera at the reception and that they can see if I payed or not. Positive was the free breakfast and the good location.

Location Ok, Cleanliness Ok, Lunch, great, good value for price! Good hostel compare to a lot in KC!

4 bed dorms are big, plenty of space! Lockers in all doorms. Only negative is that the beds are very squeaky

• 26th Feb 2015

Stayed in a lot of hostels, this one has everything you want from a hostel experience and they do it perfectly.

A decent hostel. Highly recommended for backpackers looking for a proper Sydney experience. Bondi beach and the CBD are easily accessible from kings cross and the hostel is a near-perfect base for all sightseers and travellers who don't want to pay premium rates.

Overall a good stay. Beds are comfortable though super squeaky, at least in my room, and some dorms have the added bonus of ensuite bathrooms. Facilities are good and security as well with two locked doors to get into the building at night and it's a generally clean place. My one complaint is that check out is way way way too early - before 10 am in a set up where you remove your sheets and bring them to the reception when you go so the bed is immediately ready for the next check in.

Great place and very beautifull but mixed rooms can be a little messy and dirty depending on the guests there. Good experience

• 5th Feb 2015
  • Chile

The hostel was beautiful, inside and out. The Kitchen was well maintained, and the outdoor patio area was stunning. The Internet was slow, and frequently wouldn't work so you'd have to switch to a different network over and over. the people working there were nice, and helpful when it was needed. The location was convenient but wad very loud at night, which was not a problem for myself, but it is across the street from a very busy club. Overall I had a nice stay.

Nice garden and clean kitchen, breakfast also pretty good for a hostel. Staff was very unfriendly though (one exception) which made me leave the hostel. Also strange prices for the rooms. When I arrived there I paid the online price, but when I wanted to extend my stay, the price for the room was suddenly $11 more and the staff was unwilling to give me a discount and also very unfriendly and didn't listen to what I was saying. Good facilities but wouldn't stay there again.

This hostel is having a huge problem with roaches. They are everywhere and this is something that needs to be fixed because it is not nice at all. You r not allowed to bring friends, if you do, you will be fined with 50 $. The staff is mostly friendly. There is a older guy, he is a bit weird. He did not allow me to take a scale to my room for checking the weight. The atmosphere is alright but i had much better hostels in sydney. Would not recommend to stay here.

1 2 Next » last »