Backpackers HQ Reviews

174 Victoria St, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Karolina the receptionist was so so helpful and friendly!! Generally really clean but the rooms and ensuites were a little dirty. Breakfast was great! Kitchen was overcrowded though.

Liked it, but to be honest people stuck shoes in the doors so it would be easy to just get into any room. There is a massive cockroach problem. They are in the beds, lockers, kitchen etc. nice courtyard and good stuff, free breakfast an the wifi is good.

Very nice atmosphere and guests! Facilities are fine but there are a lot of rules to follow... Staff is fine also...except for KAROLINA the receptionnist at night..she is the BEST! hope Ill see you around Australia!

Nice hostel in the middle of Sydney, staff were friendly and helpful and the courtyard and kitchen are lovely. The rooms were big enough and sheets clean. The private bathroom was small and smelly. It also attracted a lot of insects. Really close to the trains, and all the sights though! Enjoyed the stay overall, but kings cross is not for the faint of heart

The place is reasonably clean and very nice, also if It seems they are fighting a battle with some small insects, and I'm not sure if they are winning it. . They also have a nice area to eat, with a patio, but unfortunately it closes at 10 pm because it's close to some rooms. After that time there's basically no space to use your laptop, except a small tv/common room often occupied with other people partying.

Very convenient place to stay

• 20th Mar 2015
  • Spain

Aside from Carolina?, the staff/owners are very weird... they threaten $50 fines constantly, using cameras to pick out certain ppl in the kitchen. very strict on guest as well! it didn't feel dirty but I saw several cockroaches and never saw my bathroom be cleaned. Kings Cross is the red light district and a bit of a walk from the centre, though the underground is very near. the atmosphere is mixed as many ppl are long term workers. Free breakfast was the best I've had so far though.

Found staff quite rude, on arrival I was bogged down with consequences (fines) for if you don't follow the hostels many many rules. They take a scan copy of your passport and credit cards. The hostel was dirty. Also the kitchen closes which is inconvenient. Most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on which squeaked when I breathed.

I sat on a chair with that apparently was covered with ants. After that I found out that the staff was informed that 2 weeks earlier the same rhing happend to another girl and they disn't clean it. That made me mad cause I couldn't sit for days!! Also the staff was very controlling and full of mistrust of the guests. Kept tellibg me that there is a camera at the reception and that they can see if I payed or not. Positive was the free breakfast and the good location.

1 2 Next » last »