Backpackers Hotel Toyo Osaka Reviews

1-3-5, Taishi, Nishinari, Osaka, Japan

Like most of the other reviews, you get what you pay for. It's pretty much the cheapest lodging you can get and with a private room to call your own. Decent space with a comfortable enough tatami bed and good location-near tennoji, namba and KIX. Heater/air-con was a bit wonky(?), whole place seemed worse for wear, door frames were oddly quite low, shared toilets gave off quite a smell, but shower was great (same type as many other better hostels). Just tailor your expectations accordingly

You will get what you pay for here, rooms are freezing cold, beds are uncomfortable and the bathrooms from level 2 up aren't the cleanest and smell really bad.

good location

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Lithuania

relaxed place with a friendly atmosphere. would stay there again

• 11th Mar 2015

I commend the staff for a very nice chit and chat with their visitors! So friendly! Kazu San and others are so great at it! I'd definitely be back here when I go solo again in Osaka!

• 11th Mar 2015
  • Philippines

I stayed one night (private rm) and this was my first time at a hostel. The staff are super-friendly, helped me with my belongings+printing. My room was SUPER small+old, but I think the sizes are mentioned. The neighborhood is sketchy, but I felt safe walking alone at night as a female. The place needs remodeling, but they do try w/ wall murals. The showers on 1F are very nice, but the sinks on the 2F dispense only cold water. It's also a large and old hostel, so don't expect 200% warm+fuzzy.

GREAT value for money. Super cheap for a very servicable room and facilities. As others have said, the second floor bathroom doesn't smell the nicest, but it's not awful, either. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and though I didn't spend much time at the hostel, I felt the same way about the others staying there/the community. It's nicely located between two different stations making travel anywhere easy, Universal Studios is ~30 minutes away. Fantastic place to stay if you're on a budget.

The area around this hostel is okay. Nothing really there, but it is like 5 mins from shinsaibashi/amemura/dotonburi, which is awesome. The staff were all SUPER nice and seemed really cool, but aside from a really fun quirky vibe, the facilities are pretty weak. Actually, the walls were super thin and I could totally hear the neighbors clearly and the space in the door is so wide, the light coming through was like a beacon that made it a bit hard to sleep. It was cheap though, so I'd stay again.

Paid for a single room with a heater and I'm glad I did because it was cold and rainy the two days I was there. Not bad for the price, but you might be able to find better as the building is old and the floors are in need of repairs. My room was okay but the 2nd floor bathrooms were disgusting. Bathrooms on first floor are much better, showers are clean and okay. Staff was friendlyand helpful. Overall my stay was okay but I wouldn't stay there again.

nice hostel. pretty close to the metro station (1 min walk)

Good location, nice common room. Many travelers, near a subway station. The seperate room for each guest is interesting and nice. The rooms doesn't have heater can be annoying after a long day. The aged staff was bit annoying. The hostel and facilities are old. Cleanliness is not that great.

The staff and the people living their were nice. The many showers was also convenient.

Cool single rooms Japanese style worth doing. Excellent common room lots of backpackers! Please include more detailed directions on email and HW its not clear which exit is east when you not at it..

Really nice Hostel close to station and the atmosphere so good !! I really enjoy there !

• 1st Mar 2015

VERY COLD DORMS, HARD MATTRES OR RATHER TOO THIN DESPITE MORE SHEETS, JUST TO FEW WARM SHOWERS BUT ALL FOR THAT PRICE IS ACCEPTABLE

It was very nice! the location of hotel is close to subway station. we could move late at night without warry. Moreover I could gain so many information about others tourlist who lived same hotel. You can share and talk about your trip with other person in the common room.

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • South Korea

LOVED this hostel! Gave me such a great experience in Japan!

1. Great location. Right next to station, near spa world and Osaka tower. 2. Good privacy. Only 4 hot showers for 3 levels which makes showering at peak times difficult. Locked rooms. 3. Staff were awesome, friendly and recommend Yuji for information. 4. Hot water and cool provided and good common room to meet people if solo traveller. 5. Beds were comfy. I would definitely recommend a heater in winter for ¥200 more.

I did have one major negative experience during my stay. When I paid for a private room I had the expectation that I would be able to bring guests to my room. After a night out drinking I brought a lovely lady I met in Osaka back to my room. The staff member on duty followed us up to our room and informed me that I could not have guests in my room after a certain (undisclosed) time. He refused to leave until she left and would not even let us stay in the common area. This rule was not posted.

• 18th Feb 2015

I really enjoyed talking with everyone here. My only complaint is that the bathroom on the second and third floor smelled horrible. Even so, I would still stay here again because it is a good value, you get your own room, and the staff was always helpful.

• 17th Feb 2015