Backpackers In Paradise Reviews

40 Peninsular Drive, Surfers Paradise, Australia

WARNING! This hostel is the one you have to go to when all the other hostels are full. I think a reasonable price per night should around 13-15 dollars for what you get. -Alcohol is strictly forbidden. Every night they search the rooms and confiscate all alcohol. Then you have to buy overpriced drinks in their bar. -In my room we were 14 people on 1 bathroom which could not be locked. -No air conditioning. Just really noisy ceiling fans. -Staff is not very friendly. -The kitchen is just mess

• 11th Jan 2016
  • Sweden

Hi, thanks for your opinion of our hostel. Having a licensed bar in Queensland means you cannot legally bring alcohol onto the premise. This is clearly stated on numerous signs around the hostel. Our bar prices are considerably cheaper than any other bar anywhere in Surfers with beers from $4?

Really enjoyed our stay here! Despite all the negative reviews I found it great value for money and the place seemed pretty clean too. The only places in the hostel that were dirty was the dorm room which is down to the other people staying at the hostel not the hostel itself, if someone throws food on the floor after the rooms been tidied and cleaned I don't see how he hostel staff can be blamed. This hostel also had a brilliant amount of communal space, great for relaxing and meeting people

• 10th Jan 2016

Dirty bathrooms. Only one for 14. Very old mattress, feels like sleeping on the floor.

Absolutely filthy! The shower was covered with mould. There was dust and rubbish all over the dorm floors. The 'lockers' where broken cupboards that couldn't lock. Beds weren't available in the room they checked us into. The credit card machine automatically charged me in GBP with a 3.5% conversion charge. The staff were rude and unhelpful with any queries, especially with anything regarding cleanliness or payments. their bar crawl took you to the four worse bars in town.

The hostel room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. The toilet was disgusting as it had been stained brown, and the shower facilities had hair and grime everywhere. The floor in the actual hostel room was so dirty there was dust balls and dirt everywhere. There were snot stained on the walls and there was garbage from previous guests everywhere. Overall the cleanliness and conditions of the hostel room were appalling.

• 5th Jan 2016

The room 25 ( with 20 people) it is too dirty! When i got out the hostel, which was 6 30am, the kitchen was not opened and i lost my food, that i putted on the fridge, and there was a plaque saying that opened at 6 am.

The hostel is very desorganized, by the time I`ve stay in I had to wait until the recepcionist find a room with availables beds since the room I`ve booked first was already full. Also, the whole hostel is very badly clean.

Rooms never felt that clean and the some staff were very rude. Hostel shouldn't be allowed to advertise free Wi-Fi when it's only for 30 minutes then you have to pay. Kitchen was small, crowded and hot. Not enough tables outside

The staff wasn't very welcoming or helping at all. The fans didn't work in our rooms which made it boiling hot 24/7. One of the rooms I stayed in didn't have any curtains so I woke up at 6 every morning because of the sun. My stay here wasn't good at all. And the free wifi they wrote about when I booked it is only for 30 minutes per day, and it was the slowest ever. 15min surfing and 15min buffering, way to go

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Sweden

We arrived and I was feeling a bit under the weather but when we saw the state of the rooms we couldn't stay there. The light fixtures where falling off and the fans didn't work. The whole room smelt like people where smoking weed inside the room. The floor was sticky and looked like it hadn't been cleaned, there was dead insects in the corners of the room. Bathroom was once again filthy and hadn't been cleaned in at least a few weeks, still waiting on a refund I was promised two weeks ago.

• 30th Oct 2015

I enjoyed staying at the hostel the best nights were Wednesday and Saturday when they do a joint pub crawl with the other hostels nearby. The party dies pretty early on the other days. The hostel has a bar, restaurant, shop and swimming pool inside and they play awesome music.

WIFI did not work properly, but u get used to this, when youre in Australia ;)

People not friendly, staff were not very organized, shop/cafe was very expensive. Would not recommend.

This is very much a party hostel, so noise from other guests (and staff) were on excessive levels at times and completely uncontrolled. I noticed some of the beds were well past their primes and definitely needing to be replaced. Paid to go on one of the nights out to melbas and was told i was supposed to get 2 free drinks and a pizza when I got there but only received 1 drink. Looked for our party host but he had disappeared so I let it be. Paying for wifi is ridiculous as well.

This place is great! Friendly staff, great location with all the facilities right there, had exactly what you need from a hostel! Its like being at mini resort on a backpacker's budget.

• 16th Sep 2015

Great location

• 12th Sep 2015

Staff were so lovely and welcoming :) definitely be going back, the whole atmosphere was good here. Was there for one night and did not want to leave this morning! A very social hostel compared to others I've been to on the gold coast

• 4th Sep 2015

Awesome hostel! Staff are great! Adam the manager was lovely. Would highly recommend this place

• 4th Sep 2015

Nice hostel, close to everything, Lee at reception was great, Highly recommend going on the pub crawl had the most amazing time

View all Surfers Paradise Hostels