Backpackers Inn on the Beach Reviews

29 Shirley Street, Byron Bay, Australia

The bedroom we stayed in had stacks of dirty plates in the corner - and under my bed too. Pretty gross really. The hostel was pretty stark and we didnt find it particularly welcoming. It does have a gate which leads down a path to the beach though which s nice to not have to walk along streets etc in beach gear. It was pretty cold while we were there so it would've been nice if there was a coffee machine or something to warm up.

First ever hostel and thought it was great. Would have spent long there if I could fit it in

Had a really nice stay with girlfriend for 4 nights. The hostel was in a great location and it had a good relaxed, social feel to it. Highly recommended.

The atmosphere was the best I never got in a hostel, everyone was friendly and motivated to evolve you in activities and nightlife with special discounts in many pubs... You could even rent a bike for free and with the private access to the beach you are literally staying by the beach, I really enjoyed it when I wanted to see the sun rise :) Definitely recommended

If you want to party whole night long it's a hostel for you...Don't expect to sleep there at all, even in earplugs! Stayed only 1 night and was glad to leave next day...Quite an expensive hostel I must say. Big kitchen & garden + close to the town & beach. Friendly staff.

Nice enough hostel. Convenient location near town and the gate to straight to the beach. There's a good atmosphere here, other guests have been friendly. The bathrooms are ok; most are a bit worn. $5 deposit to rent crockery, no free wifi. They are really strict with noise, you have to be out of the garden at 10.30, which is a bit annoying, but nice for guests who need an early night and it gives you an excuse to go and look at the stars on the beach! Overall I'd stay here again.

Decent hostel with a great surf school! The instructor we had was brilliant and a really nice guy, can't recommend him enough! Only 1 good set of showers in the place... The rest of them are a little worn and a bit dirty if I'm honest. Atmosphere was good but again it depends on the people. The staff seem to try get you involved but the BBQ was a bit poor especially for $10. Rooms were nice and clean and we managed to have a heater so we were warm. Lockers in your room were secure.

Great stay there.

Generally quite a good hostel but one member of staff was really unnecessarily rude to me the day I left which my stay on a bad note. Renting cutlery and plates is a bit of a pain but other than that most facilities are decent enough.

Please get wifi!

• 15th May 2015

Had a wicked stay in byron right on the beach great hostel lots of fun

One of the best backpackers I've ever stayed at. Great place to stay, friendly staff, bikes and boards for free. Pool and super close to the beach, cozy garden. The only thing is, the wlan is not for free. Would definitely stay there again! Loved it!

Not great value for money and everything needs a deposit (parking, cultlery and plates etc). Good location and staff but weren't impressed with the facilities (e.g. Kitchen very messy and all communal areas packed even though we are off season).

• 19th Apr 2015

We stayed here while going to the Blues Fest over the Easter long weekend and found facilities good and staff and fellow guests nice and easy going. The place was quiet by the time we got back at night as they close the common areas around 10. The room next to the main reception can get a bit noisy early in the morning though with people checking out. There's direct beach access, a bus stop across the road (which the festival shuttle buses also use) and 10min walk to town.

The parking permit was pointless as we had one and couldn't get a park, but everyone else who didn't have a permit got parks

• 2nd Apr 2015

Loved this hostel, so close to the beach and town. Staff were friendly and helpful. Really good hostel if you travel solo as it's very easy to meet peeps and have a laugh. I'll be staying here again next time I hit Byron Bay!!!!

I love this backpackers - nice and close to town and has a great atmosphere.

Great Hostel. Really helpful and pleasant staff. Plenty to do in and around the hostel and it's right on the beach. Love Simon on reception! What a babe!

Had to pay for the wifi, but it wasn't very good BBQ too expensive, you just got one plate No air condition Shuttle service at day