Backpackers International

6.9
Good 254 Total Reviews

13th May 2017
6.6

Except for cheap rates don't expect too much.

• New Zealand, Male, 18-24
17th Apr 2017

The atmosphere, staff, and dwellers were absolutely amazing. The environment is set to support what you make it to be. I had the best time of my life and will be back in the very near future. Thank you kindly for having me. Cheers, Tyler

• Germany, Male, 18-24
14th Apr 2017
5.4

The best thing about the hostel is the location; however everything else is below average. Tisa - the "manager" is simply not present and when she is - she acts like a principal at a high school. But in a very irrational and not logical way towards paying guests. Very confusing person.

• France, Female, 25-30
16th Mar 2017
6.0

The hostel is basically okay. It is just a shame that he owner is so moody and not really nice, friendly or helpful in general. Just felt like we were really annoying her everytime we were asking for anything! This is not a really nice feeling when you are only looking for discovering a bit of the local culture and areas.

2nd Feb 2017
6.6

The owner, cleaning lady and her chubby little boy were nice just don't like the opinionated manager/reception, put me in the rooms behind the stairs twice and save nicer same cost room for some people may or may not show up. No hot shower. Didn't go back there after finding locals to stay with no charge, cute kids, chicken and pigs. Or go stay at Rarotonga Backpackers on the beach, with pool and hammocks, dorm similar price. In general, way more interesting stop over Fiji than Cook Islands.

• Canada, Male, 31-40
2nd Feb 2017

Tisa was great loved chatting with here Very help full tries to make your experience the best ! Just clean up your dishes and you'll have the best experience. The only complaint was mister rooster at 645 am but not the hostels fault the chickens and roosters are the wild life lol 😉👌

• Canada, Female, 25-30
26th Jan 2017

My boyfriend & I stayed 4 nights and it was an awesome stay. Sweet location for a quick dip in the ocean, only 15 minute walk from a great snorkeling location, it was located in a private off the main road area & a great cafe close by. (Unreal burgers). Tisa , the manager, was awesome help & so friendly. She picked us up from the airport, she sorted out our pub crawl bus mishap & helped us locate the next resort we had book on our schedule. The hostel had a friendly vibe & was a cool layout.

• England, Male, 25-30
28th Dec 2016
3.1

Bad place staff were rude from the moment I got off the plane. Was meant to stay two weeks stayed two days! The place was dirty and smelt. The kitchen had hardly anything in it. Stayed in 50+ hostels and this one is definitely the worse. Would never go back!

22nd Dec 2016
6.6

It was pleasant overall and great to meet other younger travelers. Facilities were kept tidy and rooms were ok which have an older fan that may or may not work. Kitchen space is big and kept reasonably well kept. No free internet on the whole island, but a BlueSky hotspot around corner. I will reinforce other reviews: manager Tisa is very difficult and rude part of the time, even around light alcohol consumption. Nice one second, and just horribly rude the next. Very controlling personality.

Thank you for your honest opinion, though I don't remember you mentioning anything during your time here about your fan not working, if you had I may have been able to replace it. I'm a bit offended by the "very controlling" part of your review as I we ask everyone after 10pm to either move down the beach or the garden area, as other guests are trying to sleep. Considering that I would have to ask the same people repeatedly, every night, that is part of my job, making sure the people that are sleeping as they have plans for the next day, can sleep and the others that want to stay up all night talking can do so, as long as they don't keep the others awake. The problem was not the drinking, the problem was the noise that comes from drinking next to certain sleeping areas. There are other areas in the hostel that it is fine for you to sit and talk all night, as I repeatedly pointed out to you, I don't think that was rudeness on my part, but more on yours for not having consideration for other travellers staying here and ignoring my requests repeatedly to move into a different area.

• England, Couple, 25-30
20th Dec 2016
2.9

One of the worst hostels we have ever stayed in, which is impressive given that we have stayed in hundreds of hostels during our RTW trip. Owner is outspoken, rude and unhelpful. No airconditioning anywhere in building, rooms equipped with tiny fans that hardly work. Impossible to sleep in the heat at night. Kitchen is filthy with ants crawling all over food and plates. No hot water at all and showers just a trickle so forget about having a shower to cool off.