Backpackers International Reviews

P O Box 878, Avarua, Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Hostel was ok... Very much disliked the woman running it. She was unsympathetic and unhelpful to her guests and at times even rude.

• 11th Jan 2016

Actually, you both enjoyed your time with us, you even came back to stay with us after your visit to Aitutaki and we gave you and your partner a free dayrate as you were both such a pleasure to have staying with us. Your problem is not the hostel or the woman at the hostel but rather because you told another guest, it will be alright to break our hostel rules, believing that because we are such nice people "we would understand" and then got angry at both the owner and the woman running the hostel when they said the guest will still need to pay. I find it very unfair and very hypocritical that you would take this one incident, where you encouraged another guest to try and take advantage of our good nature and hospitality, then blame us because your advise was wrong. The rules are clearly stated everywhere in the hostel and in all honesty, it was our hospitality and kindness that you and the other guest were trying to take advantage of, which is why I find your comment that the woman running the place was "unsympathetic, unhelpful and rude" completely hypocritical.

this is a place i totaly LOVE and tell all to try it its not 5 star and thats just fine by me social life in this hostal Rocks , You can keep the ritz you meet real cool people and the staff are the best . Cant wait to go again love you tesa anna and bill and all our frinds watch get bigger with every visit RARO ROCKS

• 4th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

My friend, we loved having you and your family stay with us, we all miss you guys so much and can't wait to have you back again. It's totally true, it's not the Ritz, but it's a great place to meet people from all around the world. We are affordable, clean place to sleep, so you can save your money to do other things, like exploring the island, going on tours and the island nights. Hope you and your fanau come and visit us again.

The hostel needs a lot of improvements. The common room / hang out area was pretty boring. They need some music playing to lighten the mood. Bedrooms are a small brick room. our bed sheets were sandy when we arrived

• 27th Dec 2015

Thank you for your suggestion with music in the common area, we've got the local radio in there now to help lighten the mood. i'm surprised you thought it was boring though, as it seemed like every night, you're all having fun doing a table tennis tournament, or just hanging out playing cards, but the main objective our of hangout area is not to party, but rather enjoy the company of other travelers and their experiences. We are an affordable, clean accommodation where people can come to chill out and sleep. But I do agree, we still have improvements in the pipelines for the hangout areas and yes, we're definitely working on that. As for the rooms, yes, they are cozy, with a comfortable bed to sleep on, and shelves to put all your belongings. Some of the double rooms have the Californian King beds, so it sometimes seems that the bed is taking up all the space, especially when you have A LOT of luggage. The rooms are cleaned and fitted with clean sheets for new arrivals and rooms are always checked before leaving for the airport. Again, thank you, we always appreciate constructive criticism.

The staff were so friendly and always happy to help with any questions or conncerns. Really loved staying here and couldn't recommend it enough. Met the best people and only 100m from the beach. Perfect

• 23rd Dec 2015

Thank you for your great review, it really made our day. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels as much as you did our island.

Basic and what you pay for. But all in all very good. Just a two minute walk to one of the best sunset spots on the island and close to good beaches. Had a great time here! Tisa is bad ass and awesome!! Thanks!!

lol I love that bad ass comment. Thank you for the rocking review, not only do you get what you pay for, but it's always more relaxing when you have awesome guests. Thank you again

Great experience. Very clean hostel. Great value for the money. JusJust enjoy and relax. Perfect spot for the sunset.

Great budget accommodation in the expensive Rarotonga. Great staff. Very nice atmosphere. Easy to meet people if you are travelling solo

The hostel is quite alright. Biggest downsizes are the cleanliness (bathrooms are really dirty) and the staff. The lady who works there was really cool, picking me up at the airport and taking me to do some groceries cause everywhere would be closed next day, until I told her I needed to shorten my stay. She was really rude and didn't understand that people change their mind!

Had the best time of my life here. Amazing staff. Amazing people. Just a sweet place to unwind and unplug. Cheap rates. Cool culture. Would go back in a heart beat. I'm sure I'll return in the future.

Unfortunately I booked the place and was unable to stay. However while visiting and assigned a temp room, I can tell youthis is good value for the money.

• 22nd Oct 2015

Thank you, we always happy to hear that people appreciate our efforts and thank you again for your review.

The staff was really artention told us the best things to do in the island.

We enjoyed having you stay with us as well. Thank you for your recommendation.

The staff and other backpackers were very nice and helpful during our stay. The cleanliness of the showers was poor and rooms were quite dark and stuffy. The kitchen utensils are in need of and update.

• 14th Aug 2015

Staff went out of their way to be helpful, taking you shopping, advising the best deals for rentals, then helping afterhours on a Sunday by getting hold of the rental company you decided to go with so that they could replace your scooter, which they did within 15mins, after you and the police officer failed. We always asked if there was anything at all we could help with and other than the scooter, you said nothing. Bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned daily.