8.1
Fabulous 229 Total Reviews
8.1
Fabulous 229 Total Reviews
Backpackers International Located at P O Box 878, Avarua, Rarotonga.
Cook Islands
Rarotonga P O Box 878, Avarua
81% 229
-27.0591257 -161.0156250
    Rooms available

• England, Male, 25-30
28th Dec 2016
3.1

Bad place staff were rude from the moment I got off the plane. Was meant to stay two weeks stayed two days! The place was dirty and smelt. The kitchen had hardly anything in it. Stayed in 50+ hostels and this one is definitely the worse. Would never go back!

22nd Dec 2016
6.6

It was pleasant overall and great to meet other younger travelers. Facilities were kept tidy and rooms were ok which have an older fan that may or may not work. Kitchen space is big and kept reasonably well kept. No free internet on the whole island, but a BlueSky hotspot around corner. I will reinforce other reviews: manager Tisa is very difficult and rude part of the time, even around light alcohol consumption. Nice one second, and just horribly rude the next. Very controlling personality.

Thank you for your honest opinion, though I don't remember you mentioning anything during your time here about your fan not working, if you had I may have been able to replace it. I'm a bit offended by the "very controlling" part of your review as I we ask everyone after 10pm to either move down the beach or the garden area, as other guests are trying to sleep. Considering that I would have to ask the same people repeatedly, every night, that is part of my job, making sure the people that are sleeping as they have plans for the next day, can sleep and the others that want to stay up all night talking can do so, as long as they don't keep the others awake. The problem was not the drinking, the problem was the noise that comes from drinking next to certain sleeping areas. There are other areas in the hostel that it is fine for you to sit and talk all night, as I repeatedly pointed out to you, I don't think that was rudeness on my part, but more on yours for not having consideration for other travellers staying here and ignoring my requests repeatedly to move into a different area.

• Australia, Male, 18-24
21st Nov 2016
5.1

AVOID THIS HOSTEL, STAY AT RAROTONGA BACKPACKERS INSTEAD. Guests treated horribly. Almost every tenant had a story of being rudely abused or treated rudely by 'Tisa' the manager. The saving grace is that she is hardly there, as she apparently had better things to do. Refused to let me see the room before I paid, & seemed to have no conception of professional standards. More: Lack of kitchen utensils Leaks everywhere (don't slip) No hot water Dirty bedding

When you informed me that you were a med student and going to be on the island for 6weeks, I told you that I would put you in our big dorm as it was away from the common areas so it would be easier on you for your early mornings, but suggested when there was room if you wanted to extend, so move into a single room. I had swapped this around as the other guest that also arrived on the same flight as you, as we were full at the time. So when you asked to see the room and I explained I had no other rooms available for you and you still insisted quite rudely to see the room, so we showed you the room. You were actually very happy and asked me if you could extend your stay with us. Still not feeling right about my first impression, I asked your roommates if you were a nice person, they said you were funny, a bit brash, but nice enough. I then approached you when you were on your own in the kitchen to be honest, that my first impression of you was not a nice one, but as your roommates thought you were okay, that I was happy to wipe the slat clean and extend your stay and I would let you know when a single room was available. You then informed me the following day that you were not going to extend your stay but going to stay at the budget accommodation closer to the hospital. In my personal opinion this is a personal vendetta against me personally, as opposed to your stay at the hostel. I guess I made a mistake with trying to do the right thing and be honest with you. On another note as you well know being a medical student during this time, "other things" you are referring to in your review here, was my mother suffering a stroke and being paralyzed down one side. She is doing better by the way, she is sitting up now and feeding herself, though it doesn't look like she'll every walk again. So thank you for asking the last time I saw you.

• Czech Republic, Male, 31-40
7th Nov 2016

I had an amazing time there. Tisa is amazing woman,very funny, friendly and help full. If i come back to cook island i definitely stay in International backpackers again. Accommodation is clean, quiet,close to nice beach and on good spot I just love it

Yes, we had a lot of fun didn't we. Well you know where we are and we would love to have you come back and stay

• England, Couple, 31-40
31st Oct 2016
6.9

A small locally run and furnished hostel at the western end of Rarotonga, Cook Island. Lovely lady runs the place and collects arrivals from airport if staying for 2 nights or longer. Large kitchen with some equipment, but not many utensuals and glasses, places/fridges to store food. No free te-coffee. Private room small and basic, fan available, plugs high on wall, not much space for luggage, no hangers. Quiet street, near beach and petrol station-café. Very friendly locals. people smoke inside

• New Zealand, Female, 41+
13th Oct 2016
8.0

Tisa's warm & friendly welcome at the Rarotongan Airport set the scene for a thoroughly enjoyable and fun few days. Practical hostel ground rules, a spacious common room, simple flow kitchen and bedroom fans added comfort and ease to the stay. A 3minute walk to the beach, adjacent bike/scooter hire and grocery/takeaway facility... with the bus stop just across the main road, Backpackers International definitely attracted an interesting multicultural mix of travellers.

• Denmark, Couple, 41+
9th Oct 2016

Really good for the money. The atmosphere was good with all these young people who was kind and helpful to us old backpackers . The beautyful beach just one minutes from the hostel. Also good because of the possibility for making your own food.

• New Zealand, Male, 31-40
  • Globetrotter
29th Sep 2016

Friendly and welcoming, 2 mins to the beach and buses, good hot water, basic but has everything you need. Really enjoyed my stay. Airport pickup a bonus.

• New Zealand, Male, 31-40
2nd Sep 2016

Really great place One of the best hostels I've stayed at and I've done a lot of hostels

• Alanastewart
  • New Zealand, Female, 18-24
26th Aug 2016

Best atmosphere and staff extremely helpful