Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

262 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

It wasn't upsetting and it got the job done, but I don't think I'd stay there again. The staff seemed very unorganized and didn't know when people were checking in or out. There wasn't any wifi in the rooms and the kitchen was pretty gross.

• 31st Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The place is lacking safety in the streets being filled with homelessness, cleanliness it left out matter including tablets, booze and unclean people which sees it a high risk zone especially to lonely travellers.

This is an animal world where nobody should live.

• 28th Aug 2015
  • China

At here, door dorm will not be close let alone lock. But there's a cage locker to a person in the room. Lack of ventilation in the room. The environment was lively due to the guys traveler during my stay. Convenient to city and National Express station. Kitchen is small

Shane and Adam were very friendly and overall great hosts, really made my stay in Newcastle special. Free breakfast which is available all day which was great. The common area is excellent with free pool table, board games, music.

Amazing staff, really friendly. I left a day earlier than my friends, and I could stay with them as long as I stripped my bed so they could clean it. It was no problem at all! The showers are in seperate rooms so you can dress and undress in privacy. The atmosphere was great, very chill. We stayed at the Backpackers the first day we arrived in Newcastle and returned after our walk across the Hadrians Wall and it felt like coming home. Everything is clean. Great job guys!

There's no enough ventilation in the room with only one window.And no enough power plugs which is highly needed to charge your gadgets and if your bed is far away from the main power plug in by the window.Apart from that no other issues with the room.

I would never stay at this hostel again. There were no locks on the doors to the rooms, and the lockers were too small to fit your bags. The staff were not very friendly, and kept coming into the room I was in quite late at night. It was about a 20 minute walk to the city centre, and a 10-15 minute walk from the train station.

Value for money. Cleanliness and Hot water is a big problem in washroom area. Staff behaviour is more than up to the mark.

There's no enough ventilation in the room with only one window.And no enough power plugs which is highly needed to charge your gadgets and if your bed is far away from the main power plug by the window.Apart from that no other issues with the room.

Some guys of the staff were smoking weed upstairs. I've got asthma and got sick from the smoke. I really want compensation for this. I could have also called the police so it's their choice.

• 23rd Jul 2015

Great hospitality. Nice and simple backpacker rooms with a welcoming family own place. Easy to deal with and if you want a sandwich or a cup of tea that's alright. I got no complains and i think it's a great place to stay for a couple of nights

I really liked the staff guys!! And the free breakfast and the free toast rice and whatever at every time!!!! And the best thing was the free pool. Was little bit from the city centre but not that bad! And there was no room key, but because the hostel only has 26 beds I don't feel very unsafe! Would definitivly come back and stay again!

• 19th Jul 2015

I had booked and payed for all 8 beds in the room as I wasn't 100% how many was coming but also as couple of my mates were uncomfortable with staying in a room with people they didn't know and was shocked to get back and find the bed had been let out anyways, so one of my friends got next to no sleep, I would of spoke to the staff but they were sleeping downstairs and didn't seem to impressed when we returned quite late and had to wake them to get That's why I marked poor above.

• 18th Jul 2015

The drains in atleast one of the showers were clogged, and we weren't able to lock the rooms. Yeah there were community lockers but it was extremely hard to fit our luggage in there. It wasn't bad, but I expected a little more after a wonderful stay in Edinburgh the night before

• 17th Jul 2015

I'm an American backpacker who's traveled all over the USA, Europe, and southern Africa, usually on a shoestring budget at the cheapest places I can find (when not couch surfing). Backpackers Newcastle is a little out of the way, and it's definitely a very small business. The staff were goofy, willing to drink with us, and just super friendly and down-to-earth. If you're in Newcastle, go here! I'd really only recommend that they get another washer/dryer.

Great hostel. The staff is very friendly, welcoming, and always here to help. Good atmosphere too, everything that you could wait from à hostel.

• 13th Jul 2015

I had the best stay here, the staff were welcoming and the free pool really got people mixing. It's a small family run place and you'll get to know other travellers really easily. The guys who work there are very liberal and just let you do whatever you like, they also love a good party and some (?) drinks.

• 12th Jul 2015

Facilities are nice and I really appreciate that the breakfast is included. I chatted a bit with a young lad from Australia who works there and he was friendly. However, I just can't get over how untidy this place is! There were no bins in our room and the rubbish on the night cupboard that was there when I arrived was not moved during 4 days that I was there. The floor in the room was disgusting, as if it hadn't been hoovered for a year... It's really a pity, this could be a nice hostel.

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels