Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

262 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been travelling for 6 weeks staying in hostels all over Europe and backpackers Newcastle has been my favourite by far. Excellent atmosphere and amazing staff, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Overall, the hostel was a really nice place. Some staff weren't the most knowledgeable, but the main manager (owner?) was extremely nice and helpful. It was clean with laundry, bathroom, and nice shower facilities. The kitchen was sizable and in use by some guests. The dorm rooms did not have a lock, which leaves them open to every guest. They could add locks there. Not the nicest of neighborhoods, but most of Newcastle was dirty and littered with beer cans and rubbish.

Lovely homely hostel, staff are very friendly and relaxed. Has a nice atmosphere and very easy to meet fellow travellers. Surprised that the breakfast was as good as it was! Not a party hostel as far as I could tell, but not far to walk to town if you felt like it (which we did)

Thank you we do try hard to make guest feel at home and have a good time. Glad you enjoyed the eggs x You missed a huge pot of curry tonight that we all shared around the table. Hope your travels are treating you well!

Despite of the bad location, the place itself is very nice, with a cool infraestructure. However, it was far away of Newcastle's best places to visit. It could also be more organized and it would be better if the bedrooms got more fresh air.

It was lovely to meet you, I remember you well, a very nice man indeed. However I am perplexed as It would be difficult to be far away from the attractions as one can walk from one side of the City to the other in 30mins. We are only 5mins from the bars.

Hostel is more or less OK .... but some things are definitely problematic ... as a hostel is for backpackers we came there 12 am and we ask to leave our backpacks ...... and they ask us to pay 5 pounds per each just to keep them till 2pm (two hours) when check in was possible ..... so it was not nice welcome ..... we order night in the room 8 person and we got in 10 person .... good think you can make there good breakfast for free and they have a nice sitting room but not space for eating

Yes breakfast is free and although you where informed of the fee for storing lugage you where not charged. Also you where given a choice when you arrived on the dorm and you chose the ten bed dorm. However, I did find you a lovely fun couple I do take your point of the training needed on the new member of staff and the way he offers infomation on arrival. My appologies where given at the time and again now.

Great location and value for money. The place will look small when you get in but the owners are super friendly and happy to help you if you need anything. Would recommend.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

This hostel is one of the best hostels i have stayed in during a lengthy period of travel. central location with very welcoming staff. great facilities for the price. what this hostel does best is make you feel like you are at home away from home. michelle josh and andy were awesome staff!

We were left waiting at the door for quite some time until a fellow traveller answered the door for us and fetched a half-asleep and very unfriendly member of staff. He barely spoke with us and did the minimum necessary to check us in, did not provide any additional information, etc. Although the essentials (beds, showers) were in working order everything seemed in a state of disrepair and the hostel seemed pretty dirty overall. This did not help our impression of the breakfast either.

• 12th Jul 2014

Check in time is anytime after 2pm. It is always difficult when guests arrive unexpected at dawn. Please appreciate we need time to let the guest from the previous night get up and give us time to clean and change the beds for the next arrivals. We would have completed such things by our 2pm check in time. If your arriving earlier then please inform us so we can have arrangements in place for you. It is nice to be nice x

Extremely dirty place. Poor location. I would not stay here again.

We are close to the City center and for £14.95 including breakfast it's as cheap a pizza. Your comments are of value to us. However, it is difficult if people arrive very early in the morning and cleaning is still in process. Check in time is after 2pm as we need reasonable time to do a change over from the night before. Most people tell me our hostel is the cleanest they have visited. We do try very hard to make our guest feel at home and happy with the service.

I think the hostel has potential and the owner is a very lovely woman, but the facilities were quite dirty as she was really the only one working at the hostel. Her son was supposed to be helping but when I got there apparently he skipped work. One day he brought all of his friends to the hostel during the day so they could play pool. It was good that it was relatively close to city centre, but I wouldn't recommend this hostel. My clothes and bag still smelled like the hostel a few days after.

Huge apology for the day you visited for the staffing situation. The member of staff has now been sacked. I promise this will not happen again.

Cheap and cheerful. Good value for money.

Thank you for your accurate review. Backpackers also enjoyed meeting you. Hope the rest of your travels are equally cheerful x

The place was filthy, stank of stale cigarette smoke and alcohol. The staff were never around if any guests needed help. There was no where to lock belongings. There were no bowls in the kitchen. Do not stay here!!

Super chill place where a few of us had a drink with the owners. The owners live on site and kind rent their house out. The beds and showers were good but the wifi was down and the kitchen isn't one i would recommend. The value for money was super and I was close to the bus station and bus routes and old city. I would stay here again if passing through. Did meet some people

I really enjoyed staying here at Backpackers Newcastle. Sure the internet was dodgy while I stayed there, and the facilities can seem small at first glance, but this is a place with good bones and a great heart. They are hard at work improving with some DIY and Michelle has some great ideas on how to redecorate so the space will start to come alive again. I recommend any solo travelers to book here. Meet other solos and go find the Vampire Hare.

Small hostel running with limited staff which showed. the location was OK, situated about 15/20 minuted walk from the centre, but up a fairly steep hill which wasn't fun with luggage! the bathrooms were clean but the kitchen was tiny and always dirty. No lockers, and security on the door was poor - key code didn't change and i saw someone who had checked out earlier that day come back i the afternoon for some reason and just walk in! other than that the last who rue it is very friendly.

Awesome hostel with really nice staff.

We were travelling for 3 months and out of all the hostels we stayed at, Backpackers Newcastle was the best! The staff are amazing! So friendly and helpful! They have all the facilities you need, good location (walking distance to everywhere), and are nice and clean! Would stay at Backpackers Newcastle again, and would highly recommend it to everyone!

• 8th Jun 2014

The people who run is are great, very polite, and knowledgable. However, there was a small common room, wifi didn't work most of the time, rooms had no ventilation so it go very very hot and humid. The breakfast was just kind of thrown together, you had to look for food on your own. I would not stay here again.

Michelle was very friendly and everyone who was staying at the hostel was also friendly. Small lockers in each room if one choose to use them but everyone seemed respectful when I was there. Area seemed a bit sketchy but if you were inside at a good time everything was fine. Good location to walk to many places including train station and shopping mall.

Very nice people running the hostel, very relaxed, very helpful. Would have no hesitations in staying again.

Thank your for your review your experience is very important to us. As you know our motto is 'it's nice to be nice'!

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels