Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

262 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

For the price I wasn't expecting the ritz by any means and I've stayed in hostels before but we turned up and it was disgusting, it is so dirty, 2 of the girls found some questionable things in their bed even though it was meant to be clean bedding, the toilets are so gross and the showers don't work properly, no locks on the doors so we had random people coming in and out of our room all the time at all hours which is really concerning! Will never stay here again for as long as I live!!

• 30th Dec 2014
  • Wales

Staff were great!! They will help you with everything you need. The atmosphere was really nice and the breakfast was in the kitchen all day, so you could help yourself anytime you wanted. It is also very safe place. The location is close to all the places by walking, the only thing is that is in the hill. I totally recommend that!!

Seen better at same price.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Malaysia

Main entrance was locked with password but room doors had nothing on them. No keys or password. About 15min walk from bus station and a bit out of town and on the hill. Staffs were kind to greet you and around. Not much of a place to lounge other than a sofa and a table in reception. Beds are tidy but other places weren't tidy enough(e.g. fridge and bathroom). Heater in the room was hard to control as the knob was missing. Throughout, it has basics, nothing much.

Really friendly staff who gave us excellent tips on things to do in Newcastle

• 15th Nov 2014

Very nice staff and very nice people met in the room. The kitchen could have been kept cleaner and with a bit more choice of food for breakfast.

• 7th Nov 2014

Thank you for your review. Yes, the staff work very hard with making the guests have a lovely stay. The kitchen is shared by all the guests and I agree with you it would be far more pleasant if all the guests had respect and cleaned up after themselves which is expected at a Hostel. The breakfast is not part of your fee so what you get is an added free bonus. We offer, bread, eggs, cereal and milk thus it is what you make it. We also offer herbs, oils and spices for those who wish to cook x

The women who helped me was amazing. She showed me to my room and showed me around the hostel. She also told me where to go and what to see in the area with my allotted time. There are free lockers to use in the room. The hostel is slightly messy but they are trying to correct the situation.

Ok location, not too good facilities. Atmosphere was bizarre. The staff was not too easily reachable.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Not so easy to find

• 26th Sep 2014

Been travelling around the UK for 2 months and this is the best hostel I've stayed at! As soon as I walked in I was greeted by a friendly staff member who was incredibly knowledgable of Newcastle and things to do. The team of staff were committed to making each individual guest's stay as positive an experience as possible and made you feel right at home. Fantastic hostel!

Really lovely place! I had a good time there whit the staff guy, Bosh and Adam. The room and toilet are very clean, also in every bed there are 2 pillow :) The hall is comfortable whit a free pool, darts, chess and a lot of table game. I recommend this hostel to every one in Newcastle !

Nice hostel. Out of town a little but not a bad walk. Only 10 minutes from train station walking. Good breakfast, and sometimes one of the ladies there cooks dinner, if you're lucky ;) bathrooms could use carpets outside of shower and soap!

A very familiar place, if I had to choose again i'd choose it again. You feel like at home. Hugs for Michele , Adam and all the staff.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Spain

The kitchen could be a little bit more clean. Except that, I really liked the place.

• 10th Sep 2014

Out of all the hostels I have stayed in through Asia, Southamerica and Europe, this has by far been one of my best experiencences. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful, the beds were comfortable and it had all your basic services like a nice hot shower and free wifi. The best part however was the chilled-out atmosphere that made you feel right at home from the beginning. I will definitely recommend this place to all of my friends and family.

Lovely woman who runs this hostel! Not a lot of space in rooms but loads of bathrooms/showers and huge common room. Bit far from city centre and up a hill but loads of buses and good atmosphere

One of the advertised hostel's facilities is the 24 hour reception. There's no such thing. Filthy kitchen and showers, the rest was acceptable. It's close to the main station, so it's a convenient location: not a nice Street, though. Rude staff: a couple who lives next to the dorms and lets their dog wandering in the hall and leisure room.

Backpackers clearly state on booking that if a guest requires an earlier check in time that this has to booked as we have to pay extra staffing costs to cover this. Turning up at 5.30am off the Mega Bus and expecting a free night is bang out of order. For the record I considered your attitude disgraceful.

Very relaxed atmosphere - I'll definitely be back!

aw what a really nice comment for a large group of boys. I am so happy to had an amazing time. Your also warmly welcomed back anytime.

Nice hostel on a quiet street in Newcastle. The staff was really nice, friendly, and helpful! We liked the wallpaper in the bathrooms (comic book!) and especially the vegan cookbook pages on the wall in the kitchen. Very considerate of the owner to be mindful of those who don't eat meat (thanks from 2 vegetarians!). The rooms were fairly roomy and lockers provided (bring your own lock). The only thing was the kitchen was a bit messy - dirty dishes piled in the sink. Overall a nice hostel.

hi you two, was lush to meet you both. Thank you for your nice review. The artistic additions are new so its great to get feedback on them. I also agree with you, it would be fab if people washed up after cooking. Maybe I should put a notice up asking for a little consideration. But on the whole most of our backpackers are warm and lovely people just like you x

This hostel is not the biggest one I have been, but for me one of the best, especially related with staff and atmosphere, that time I was there gave up the idea to go out to do something only to stay and talk with people! Amazing place, near to the train station with good price! Next time I will spend more than one night there.

I so hope you get the chance to pop back my new friend after your next trip to Mexico. We are small but we feel that is what gives us the opportunity to get to know our guests and hear some amazing stories of travels around the world. Your missing our Italians cooking ravioli on Sunday (winks) x

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels