Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

262 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Ok location, not too good facilities. Atmosphere was bizarre. The staff was not too easily reachable.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Not so easy to find

• 26th Sep 2014

Been travelling around the UK for 2 months and this is the best hostel I've stayed at! As soon as I walked in I was greeted by a friendly staff member who was incredibly knowledgable of Newcastle and things to do. The team of staff were committed to making each individual guest's stay as positive an experience as possible and made you feel right at home. Fantastic hostel!

Really lovely place! I had a good time there whit the staff guy, Bosh and Adam. The room and toilet are very clean, also in every bed there are 2 pillow :) The hall is comfortable whit a free pool, darts, chess and a lot of table game. I recommend this hostel to every one in Newcastle !

Nice hostel. Out of town a little but not a bad walk. Only 10 minutes from train station walking. Good breakfast, and sometimes one of the ladies there cooks dinner, if you're lucky ;) bathrooms could use carpets outside of shower and soap!

A very familiar place, if I had to choose again i'd choose it again. You feel like at home. Hugs for Michele , Adam and all the staff.

• 11th Sep 2014
  • Spain

The kitchen could be a little bit more clean. Except that, I really liked the place.

• 10th Sep 2014

Out of all the hostels I have stayed in through Asia, Southamerica and Europe, this has by far been one of my best experiencences. The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful, the beds were comfortable and it had all your basic services like a nice hot shower and free wifi. The best part however was the chilled-out atmosphere that made you feel right at home from the beginning. I will definitely recommend this place to all of my friends and family.

One of the advertised hostel's facilities is the 24 hour reception. There's no such thing. Filthy kitchen and showers, the rest was acceptable. It's close to the main station, so it's a convenient location: not a nice Street, though. Rude staff: a couple who lives next to the dorms and lets their dog wandering in the hall and leisure room.

Backpackers clearly state on booking that if a guest requires an earlier check in time that this has to booked as we have to pay extra staffing costs to cover this. Turning up at 5.30am off the Mega Bus and expecting a free night is bang out of order. For the record I considered your attitude disgraceful.

Very relaxed atmosphere - I'll definitely be back!

aw what a really nice comment for a large group of boys. I am so happy to had an amazing time. Your also warmly welcomed back anytime.

Nice hostel on a quiet street in Newcastle. The staff was really nice, friendly, and helpful! We liked the wallpaper in the bathrooms (comic book!) and especially the vegan cookbook pages on the wall in the kitchen. Very considerate of the owner to be mindful of those who don't eat meat (thanks from 2 vegetarians!). The rooms were fairly roomy and lockers provided (bring your own lock). The only thing was the kitchen was a bit messy - dirty dishes piled in the sink. Overall a nice hostel.

hi you two, was lush to meet you both. Thank you for your nice review. The artistic additions are new so its great to get feedback on them. I also agree with you, it would be fab if people washed up after cooking. Maybe I should put a notice up asking for a little consideration. But on the whole most of our backpackers are warm and lovely people just like you x

This hostel is not the biggest one I have been, but for me one of the best, especially related with staff and atmosphere, that time I was there gave up the idea to go out to do something only to stay and talk with people! Amazing place, near to the train station with good price! Next time I will spend more than one night there.

I so hope you get the chance to pop back my new friend after your next trip to Mexico. We are small but we feel that is what gives us the opportunity to get to know our guests and hear some amazing stories of travels around the world. Your missing our Italians cooking ravioli on Sunday (winks) x

Accomodation was fine. It said breakfast was included but when I got up the next morning I didnt see any. I saw one guy making a cup of tea but when I looked in the fridge there was no milk so I was unsure if I should use his milk or not, but i didnt see any bread / food for breakfast, and it was never made clear to me when I arrived. I went downstairs and saw nothing there for breakfast, so I just checked out and went for breakfast in Newcastle city centre.

• 16th Aug 2014

Cereals and bread are on display in the kitchen (all 3 shelves of them). The eggs are in a bowl on the counter next to the kettle and homemade jams. The milk (all 18 pints of) are in the fridge. It is self service as explained on check in (i.e. you pour your own cereal and milk into a bowl and eat it. The staff are always happy to help if you need anything.

I have been travelling for 6 weeks staying in hostels all over Europe and backpackers Newcastle has been my favourite by far. Excellent atmosphere and amazing staff, I would go back in a heartbeat.

What a lovely review, thank you, we would also have you stay again in heart beat! It really is wonderful to have those that understand what backpacking is about and what our ethos is. We aspire to just that!

Overall, the hostel was a really nice place. Some staff weren't the most knowledgeable, but the main manager (owner?) was extremely nice and helpful. It was clean with laundry, bathroom, and nice shower facilities. The kitchen was sizable and in use by some guests. The dorm rooms did not have a lock, which leaves them open to every guest. They could add locks there. Not the nicest of neighborhoods, but most of Newcastle was dirty and littered with beer cans and rubbish.

'it's nice to be nice Brian' p.s. the staff are being sent off to do all the tourist activities so they can be more informative in the future. We do have a lovely tourist information shop in the beautiful arcade near the monument in the City center which is just five minutes away. Guests are always given a free map of the City on arrival. Thank you for your lovely review.

Lovely homely hostel, staff are very friendly and relaxed. Has a nice atmosphere and very easy to meet fellow travellers. Surprised that the breakfast was as good as it was! Not a party hostel as far as I could tell, but not far to walk to town if you felt like it (which we did)

Thank you we do try hard to make guest feel at home and have a good time. Glad you enjoyed the eggs x You missed a huge pot of curry tonight that we all shared around the table. Hope your travels are treating you well!

Despite of the bad location, the place itself is very nice, with a cool infraestructure. However, it was far away of Newcastle's best places to visit. It could also be more organized and it would be better if the bedrooms got more fresh air.

It was lovely to meet you, I remember you well, a very nice man indeed. However I am perplexed as It would be difficult to be far away from the attractions as one can walk from one side of the City to the other in 30mins. We are only 5mins from the bars.

Hostel is more or less OK .... but some things are definitely problematic ... as a hostel is for backpackers we came there 12 am and we ask to leave our backpacks ...... and they ask us to pay 5 pounds per each just to keep them till 2pm (two hours) when check in was possible ..... so it was not nice welcome ..... we order night in the room 8 person and we got in 10 person .... good think you can make there good breakfast for free and they have a nice sitting room but not space for eating

Yes breakfast is free and although you where informed of the fee for storing lugage you where not charged. Also you where given a choice when you arrived on the dorm and you chose the ten bed dorm. However, I did find you a lovely fun couple I do take your point of the training needed on the new member of staff and the way he offers infomation on arrival. My appologies where given at the time and again now.

Great location and value for money. The place will look small when you get in but the owners are super friendly and happy to help you if you need anything. Would recommend.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

This hostel is one of the best hostels i have stayed in during a lengthy period of travel. central location with very welcoming staff. great facilities for the price. what this hostel does best is make you feel like you are at home away from home. michelle josh and andy were awesome staff!

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels