Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

262 Westgate Road, Newcastle upon tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Great location and value for money. The place will look small when you get in but the owners are super friendly and happy to help you if you need anything. Would recommend.

• 19th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

We were left waiting at the door for quite some time until a fellow traveller answered the door for us and fetched a half-asleep and very unfriendly member of staff. He barely spoke with us and did the minimum necessary to check us in, did not provide any additional information, etc. Although the essentials (beds, showers) were in working order everything seemed in a state of disrepair and the hostel seemed pretty dirty overall. This did not help our impression of the breakfast either.

• 12th Jul 2014

Extremely dirty place. Poor location. I would not stay here again.

We are close to the City center and for £14.95 including breakfast it's as cheap a pizza. Your comments are of value to us. However, it is difficult if people arrive very early in the morning and cleaning is still in process. Check in time is after 2pm as we need reasonable time to do a change over from the night before. Most people tell me our hostel is the cleanest they have visited. We do try very hard to make our guest feel at home and happy with the service.

I think the hostel has potential and the owner is a very lovely woman, but the facilities were quite dirty as she was really the only one working at the hostel. Her son was supposed to be helping but when I got there apparently he skipped work. One day he brought all of his friends to the hostel during the day so they could play pool. It was good that it was relatively close to city centre, but I wouldn't recommend this hostel. My clothes and bag still smelled like the hostel a few days after.

Huge apology for the day you visited for the staffing situation. The member of staff has now been sacked. I promise this will not happen again.

Cheap and cheerful. Good value for money.

Thank you for your accurate review. Backpackers also enjoyed meeting you. Hope the rest of your travels are equally cheerful x

The place was filthy, stank of stale cigarette smoke and alcohol. The staff were never around if any guests needed help. There was no where to lock belongings. There were no bowls in the kitchen. Do not stay here!!

Super chill place where a few of us had a drink with the owners. The owners live on site and kind rent their house out. The beds and showers were good but the wifi was down and the kitchen isn't one i would recommend. The value for money was super and I was close to the bus station and bus routes and old city. I would stay here again if passing through. Did meet some people

I really enjoyed staying here at Backpackers Newcastle. Sure the internet was dodgy while I stayed there, and the facilities can seem small at first glance, but this is a place with good bones and a great heart. They are hard at work improving with some DIY and Michelle has some great ideas on how to redecorate so the space will start to come alive again. I recommend any solo travelers to book here. Meet other solos and go find the Vampire Hare.

Awesome hostel with really nice staff.

We were travelling for 3 months and out of all the hostels we stayed at, Backpackers Newcastle was the best! The staff are amazing! So friendly and helpful! They have all the facilities you need, good location (walking distance to everywhere), and are nice and clean! Would stay at Backpackers Newcastle again, and would highly recommend it to everyone!

• 8th Jun 2014

The people who run is are great, very polite, and knowledgable. However, there was a small common room, wifi didn't work most of the time, rooms had no ventilation so it go very very hot and humid. The breakfast was just kind of thrown together, you had to look for food on your own. I would not stay here again.

Michelle was very friendly and everyone who was staying at the hostel was also friendly. Small lockers in each room if one choose to use them but everyone seemed respectful when I was there. Area seemed a bit sketchy but if you were inside at a good time everything was fine. Good location to walk to many places including train station and shopping mall.

Very nice people running the hostel, very relaxed, very helpful. Would have no hesitations in staying again.

Thank your for your review your experience is very important to us. As you know our motto is 'it's nice to be nice'!

thank you very much for the Staff ! i don't know her name. but she's so kind!

The staff was super friendly and helpful, and made us feel right at home. Great hostel.

• 16th Apr 2014

It was our pleasure and great to have met you. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We have a new pool table now it arrived this weekend. Hope to have a game with you on your next visit to Newcastle.

Very small kitchen with little equipments. It smells cigaret and dog. There's indeed a dog, very nice but could annoy some people. You're more or less sharing the kitchen with the owner's family. They're nice, but just so you know.

We have a strict NO SMOKING policy. Chester (the dog) just visits for cuddles and our kitchenette (as advertised) has: microwave, oven and hob, steamer, slow cooker, (herbs, oils and spices free for guests to use, wok), pots and pans and 2 fridges.

It is a very familiar hostel, very cosy though.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Spain

Thank you for your review. We do like to make our guest feel welcome and at home.

great location, staff very kind and helpful, friendly environment: all for a nice price!

A friend and I spent one night at this hostel last week. We were greeted warmly by the new manager and she told us all about the facilities etc. I was pleased to find out the hostel now has lockers in every room, there is also a big open space with sofas and places to sit as you enter the hostel. The beds were very comfortable and everything was very clean. We will definitely be staying again if ever in Newcastle.

• 13th Feb 2014