Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

42 44 Denison St, Newcastle, Australia

This hostel is about a two mile walk from the town centre and you're probably better off staying on the YHA. There isn't a lot to do in Newcastle. There were cockroaches in my room which I personally can't deal with. There was two toilets and two showers for the whole of my block which was ridiculous. The kitchen was poorly equipped with a stove that took forever. Also wifi doesn't work for international apple products!

Nice staf, Nice dog. Verry clean Good kitchen

The staff were amazing and I ended up having a night out with the girl from reception who very kindly bought me a drink and paid my entry into a club. This place is a lovely little gem and I wish I had stayed longer but I had already made travel plans. The facilities are ok but the toilet could be a little bigger as I struggled to get in and close the door and I'm small and slender. Shower room was clean and the pool and hammock area was so cool.

I don't have high standards when it comes to hostels, but cleanliness is certainly one and this hostel did not even meet the lowest standards of cleanliness, neither in the bathrooms nor in the bedrooms.

The wifi is free but you have to leave a like on Facebook, which rarely really works. Also if the owner finds too many dirty dishes she simply shuts down the wifi completely. Rooms are nice however half of the guests have to sleep on mattresses on the floor. No AC. Baths are Ok at best. Common room and outside area are very clean and nice to use. No drinking or staying outside after 10 so you either watch a movie or take the party somewhere else.

Favourite hostel so far :) mumma shar is a legend and anna and the rest of the staff work hard, are full of knowledge and generally nice people! The salt water pool is beaut, the hammocks are so relaxing, pool and table tennis are great fun! Our room (no.5) was very hot and quite small, would be even better with some fans ;) in the common area too but would highly recommend this hostel - you would be crazy not 2 stay here during your time in newcastle!!

Our experience was mediocre. The $85 double bedroom was very basic, with a crappy thin mattress bed, a couple of bedsides and a beanbag... No closet, or air con. The room was inbetween three dorms so it got a bit loud, but that is to be expected at a back packers. The outdoor areas were quite nice but the location is pretty average. It is a bit of a walk to the bus stop, then to the beach. The extra distance probably wasn't worth the $20-40 we saved on the nights accommodation.

• 2nd Jan 2015

The staff is very cool and make you feel like you belong to the place! The wi-fi network needs to improve cause the system doesn't really work especially when you're travelling without big plans or booked things.

Place needs lots of talc I moo Ed elsewhere as it was not the best of places to be

• 31st Dec 2014

Can not recommend this hostel

Very nice place

• 8th Oct 2014

Pros: good location (shops and free bus very close), very clean, well equipped kitchen Cons: never someone at the reception or to be found around (I don't expect them to sit there 24/7 but maybe you should make a few hours a day where there is definitely someone around!), for free wifi you have to log in and like them on Facebook EVERY TIME (and you loose connection quite often, so this gets really annoying!)

The hostel is not downtown but they give you a free shuttle from to the Bus/Train on arrival and departure. The kitchen is not big but the equipment is ok, as I stayed one night only I didn't care to much about that :) Unfortunately my room smelled like old cheesy shoes.