Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

42 44 Denison St, Newcastle, Australia

Friendly and well-organised place, probably best location if you want to get more out of Newcastle than just going to the beach (nightlife, shops, the university, transport...)

• 1st Jul 2014

We had to wait at the reception for over an hour to check in, because nobody was there.... our window was broken so everybody could enter our ground floor room...

Mama Shar so friendly and welcoming! First stop on my own, she made me feel welcome and it's like she actually enjoys talking to guests!!! Lovely first stop before the craziness of the coast. Free BBQ some nights and Mama Shar is happy to advise on sights to see etc. lovely place!

The staff were very friendly when I arrived which made me feel welcome and friendly throughout my stay. The hostel itself was 2 houses next to one another which had been converted. It was not someone I would have liked to stay for very long as it wasn't very clean and the beds were poor. However, I know this hostel is going to have a lot done to it so I would like to know if the changes really do help because it sounds like they have good plans. Overall, it was an ok night in an ok hostel.

Hostel is nice and clean, staff is friendly. Dorm room (4 beds) was quite big. There were lot of pigeon holes and space in fridges but only one sink and two stoves to use! Too little for that many people.. Also few extra bathrooms would have been nice. Anyway really nice place and can recommend!

Spent a nice couple of days here. Staff were really friendly and make you feel at home. Decent location near a bus stop to town but we just walked about 20 minutes, real close to Coles. Had a nice free BBQ and nice chilled vibe, would recommend :)

Really nice hostel! Did feel like coming home, staff was super friendly and facilities good. Really nice common/kitchen areas, and of course (clean) pool! You get to know other travelers easily because of the relaxed atmosphere and intimate common areas.