Backpackers Newcastle Reviews

42 44 Denison St, Newcastle, Australia

The staff were very friendly when I arrived which made me feel welcome and friendly throughout my stay. The hostel itself was 2 houses next to one another which had been converted. It was not someone I would have liked to stay for very long as it wasn't very clean and the beds were poor. However, I know this hostel is going to have a lot done to it so I would like to know if the changes really do help because it sounds like they have good plans. Overall, it was an ok night in an ok hostel.

Hostel is nice and clean, staff is friendly. Dorm room (4 beds) was quite big. There were lot of pigeon holes and space in fridges but only one sink and two stoves to use! Too little for that many people.. Also few extra bathrooms would have been nice. Anyway really nice place and can recommend!

Spent a nice couple of days here. Staff were really friendly and make you feel at home. Decent location near a bus stop to town but we just walked about 20 minutes, real close to Coles. Had a nice free BBQ and nice chilled vibe, would recommend :)

Really nice hostel! Did feel like coming home, staff was super friendly and facilities good. Really nice common/kitchen areas, and of course (clean) pool! You get to know other travelers easily because of the relaxed atmosphere and intimate common areas.

Very pleasant stay, staff were helpful and people very friendly. Little bit out of the way (30mins walk to the beach at least) but would recommend for sure.

Very friendly hostel. Felt very comfortable and at home feeling

• 17th Jan 2014

I had a wonderful welcome from the owner, who talked me through a walk (showed all the best parts of Newcastle) and a bus trip to Blackbutt reserve (highly recommended). The TV room is a nice facility, and the pool and outside area are great. There were lots of long-stay residents who had suffered clothes explosions, spreading their possessions over >50% of the floor area, which was a bit off-putting, though the people themselves were nice enough. Newcastle's fabulous and laid back, do go.

It would be good to have individual lockers for each bed. Kitchen a bit small for many people to cook in . e.g. one sink and one set of burners. Could do with more kitchen pigeon holes and fridge space. Enjoyable stay.

• 27th Dec 2013

I had a really good time here even tough i had a rough start. I booked a 4 bed-dorm room, but go an eight. So the owner(anna) who also picked us up from the greyhound, switched me to a 4 bed dorm room, even tough the hostel was almost fully booked. You have good8 free wifi, a free meal on monday and wednesday and the people who are staying in the hostel are really relaxed. And not to forget Larry, the best hostel dog i've met :)

The rooms were cozy and sweet. Kitchen was ok. The bathrooms were a bit dirty

• 19th Nov 2013
  • Sweden

I really liked the staff but it was a good 10 min walk from the train station so get there before late at night and they will pick you up! Very nice and convenient if you can get picked up.

We had a great stay in newcastle!! Not only is the reception open very long, they also have really good advices on where to go out and what to see!! Great, thanks gyus!!