Backpackers St. Pauli Reviews

Bernstorffstrasse 98, Hamburg, Germany

Make sure you arrive when reception is open!!!! My train got delayed and I ended up arriving after reception closed and was totally locked out if the hostel! Luckily I got let inside by someone else staying there, and we contacted the owners (who sorted everything out and were super kind). But very nice hostel, in a really cool area

Heady. Far enough away from the grim Reeperbahn to remove yourself but still within walking distance. Boom.

The hostel is located on a great streetin the St. Pauli neighborhood of Hamburg. The room was great, staff was very friendly and a good social atmosphere. I wanted to go to a punk show and the staff directed me towards a super local concert in an okupa. I had a great time. The rooms were clean, beds comfy, showers warm and clean. The beers were a little expensive but they were also a-typical craft beers from Hamburg, so you get what you pay for -- Good Beer. I would love to go back!

• 2nd Jan 2015
  • Puerto Rico

Good place to stay and meet new people. Free wifi. I recommend!

Great Hostel, visited over Christmas and there were only a few of us there but everyone took advantage of the great common room it was a really cozy chill environment. Staff were very friendly, even when we didn't leave the kitchen all that clean one day (sorry). Downside was walking there alone late at night was a little worrisome my first night but it was easy enough to find. Kitchen really needs more equipment and the foosball table should be free for the small size of the hostel.

Brilliant place with a great vibe. Extremely happy with my stay. I will definitely be back at some point!

• 8th Dec 2014

Cheers! And we are happy that you stayed at Backpackers St. Pauli!! :)

We really liked the staff at this hostel, especially the lady with short blond hair that usually occupied the desk during the day, was very friendly! We stayed during the winter so not only this hostel but most other hostels in Europe are quiet. I can definitely see this place has a lot of potential for summer! Nice hangout area down the bottom. My ONLY criticism is that there was only one shower to share between our floor of 10 people, not a major issue though. Definitely recommend.

In a seemingly quiet neighborhood but it's about a 10-5 minute walk to Reeperbahn. Staff ranged from polite to superfriendly. They don't use keys, they use codes for doors which can be problematic for those of us who can't remember codes or can't keep bits of scrap paper. Bathrooms in the dorms so you don't have to compete with an entire floor for time.

Thank you very much for your comment. It helps to take a picture with the smartphone to be safe. ;)

Great hostel. I'd highly recommend it. Very helpful staff.

Great guests help to create a great hostel too. Thx for staying with us and thx for the review!! :) :) :)

Great location close to lots of cute shops and cafés. Staff very friendly and helpful. Only issue that I had was the wifi dropping out while in the dorm room.

• 18th Nov 2014
  • smcgrath14

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the issue. Maybe the repeater was unplugged in one of the rooms.

Good hostel in St. Pauli, one of Hamburg's really cool areas. It was a bit quiet, but I did visit during the off-season, and hey, I slept well. The staff is very knowledgeable and happy to give suggestions or tips; I saw some great things I'd probably have missed otherwise. Large rooms and comfortable beds. There's a lot of good food and drink options in/around St. Pauli (from cheap to not-so-cheap), but you're close to the Reeperbahn, wharf, and the bus if you want to get away. I'd stay again.

Thats why we are here. To show our guests, that St. Pauli is way more than getting drunk. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay! THX!

Staff people were very kind and helpful

As soon as I walked in the door I got busted for bringing a small sealed tent and a sleeping bag. That is the specialty of this hostel. If the hostel owner is concerned that I would be tempted to pitch a tent and crack out my sleeping bag in my room rather than sleep on the bed the hostel must be really cold with a leaking roof?? Luckily it wasn't. At least the Wifi didn't suck.

Thank you very much for understanding the hostel rules. As a Globetrotter you might know why we don't want sleeping bags and camping gear in our rooms. But your style of review showed us, you don't. Btw. when should we ask you about this if not at check-in?

Really enjoyed my stay here! Great friendly staff and very helpfull. Rooms were nice and clean and had lockers and a balcony. Would definitely stay here again!

An Amazing place with friendly staff. I made friends and found my new favourite city. I was welcomed into the community even though my german is waaaaaay below nothing. I'll be back in the spring :) Love Y

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Y, we can't wait for spring :D Thanks for entertaining us. :)

It's aight!

One of the best hostels that I have every stayed at. Super cool staff and awesome location. One must try the home made pumpkin soup. "Num num num"

I had a fantastic stay in St. Pauli! The staff were great as we wanted to find a few good bars and they helped very well, the area is brilliant full of shops and great bars. The only problems we had were in the area not many speak English, and the hostel doesn't really do breakfast. But they do have a good kitchen and there is a great coffee shop just down the road from the hostel. Will defo be back.

Seemingly out of the way, once you settle in a Backpackers St Pauli you realsie what a wonderful area this is to explore, day or night, and how well served by the public buses. Greeat cafes and food halls nearby, and just a short walk from the Reeperbahn area - but far enough away that the noise is completely unnoticeable. Lovely bar/courtyard area, and right across the road from one of the coolest cinemas - Studio Kino. Would defintely stay again

Despite not being in the city center, the transports (especially the bus) are close to the hostel, and has a supermarket nearby. The rooms looked clean, as well the bathrooms. The bar and the lounge areas had a good atmosphere. The only downside was the check out time, because my friends and I needed to catch the bus really early and we didn't notice the check out was only from 8am and that we could do it the night before. By the way, the documentary they were shooting was about what? thanks!