Backpackers on Castle Reviews

57 Castle Street, 8001, Cape Town, South Africa

By accident I`ve looked to my mails and I found the late cancellation, although I got a confirmation. I`ve had a lot of trouble to find another accomodation.

• 14th Feb 2014

There were hairs on my bed and I got bit by bedbugs. The common room and bar are lacking.

We waited around 20 min for the receptionist. There was no basin and toilet in our en-suite room (only shower). The bed wasnt clean and the mattress was uneven. The linen had holes in it. The room is very small. It looks as if this hostel is used for long term local guests more than for tourists as there was never anybody to give you information whatsoever. Despite is located in long street the building is just at the beginning of it so it is necessary to walk around 15 min to get to bars.

Best Hostel experiance in my whole life. But only because of Paul, one of the staff members. As long as he works at Castle Inn, it is a wonderful pace to stay...

Nobody opened the door. Somebody answered the phone and we got sent to 2 Ocean around the corner. The lady there opened the door for us at Castle and very briefly explained us where everything is without showing us around because she had to go back to her reception of course. Nobody knew about our booking even though i got a confirmation email from you so we paid full price. Toilets and showers where dirty. It was one night, maybe we were just unlucky. Could be a nice place with a little effort.

• 29th Jun 2013

We were locked out of the premises when we first arrived in a dangerous neighbourhood, noone answered their 'emergency' number. It took 2 days to get clothes washed when i was told 2 hours. Kitchen was always filthy. We booked an ensuite

i have paid more than the agreed valeu. hostel staff said that the 10% fee for the reservation was for hostelword and thay charged us more than the agreed amount. the place was very durty and no kitchen facilities were available. we actually came back to brazil with some skin issues because the place was not call at all.

• 19th Mar 2013

I booked the hostel via Hostelworld and paid a deposit. On the day I arrived the Hostel was booked out and I had to look for something else. The stuff was not really helpfully and was not guilty at all. The best of all was, that the women at the reception showed me my deposit at her internet bank account, but told me she cant give it back, because hostelworld is responsable for it. If a can give you a advice, dont book with hostelworld!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 29th Dec 2012

anglais français arabe Cheap place, well located in the center, is especially close to the gay area ... but for the rest it is not top ....

• 21st Nov 2012

Front desk is only openede a couple of hours per day. Ensuite bathroom is only shower but not private wc. Staff is not helpful.

This hostel is extremely dirty, loud and unpleasant. The bathrooms are on a separate floor from the rooms, tiles are chipping off the floor and walls, it smells disgusting, and the staff (with the exception of one girl) are very rude. There is absolutely no reason to stay here when you can stay next door at two oceans which is much better.

• 29th Feb 2012

Since there is not much space for writing, i will put bullet points. * Cockroaches * Broken wash basin in room * Broken Floor * Very old shaky beds * Door was open at night i check in. * Bath rooms w/o locks - ladies beware * Toilets on lower floor * Cleanliness poor * No TV in room * Price is around 340 for a room, while at sea-point you get better deals & is 5 rand by bus. * Good only for a 1 night stay * Better choice around * Staff are very good * Common TV room always busy * party lov

• 1st Feb 2012
  • India

The bathrooms do of course have locks. Thats ridiuclous! We have a cleaning service in every single day, we ask that our guests help keep the place clean by not leaving dirty dishes and rubbish around, but some things are beyond our immediate control. PRIVATE ROOMS are R320, dorms are R90, the cheapest in the city. Hotels have TVs in rooms, were you will pay up from R850 per room.not hostels for R320. Thank you for the comment on the staff, we try our best.

Small hostel, not many other guests. Good location. All hostels on Long street can be noisy but it wasn't too bad. Staff helpful but only available 9-5. Bathrooms are very old and need to upgraded. Lounge area is nice. Hostel, kitchen and room was clean. The double bed private shared bathroom "Fisherman" room is cute. I liked the fan, 2 towels, and a small closet with drawers to unpack.

hostel ok, bit small. Staff only available between 9 -5. towel service is nice but didn't got any clean one (stayed over for 5 nights)

I had a great time at Backpackers on Castle, thank you. The kitchen was a let down as the stove didn't work. Thank god for the microwave. The rooms were clean and adequate. The building was warm. The staff was welcoming and helpful. I will tell others.

Average but very friendly

Weren't as many people there as I thought, wasn't a lot going on in the hostel but there was so much to do right out on Long Street anyway. Make sure if you are arriving after 5 to let them know as staff is not there 24-7.

Thank you for your great rating, I hope you enjoyed your stay and return to Cape Town again some time. Jocelyn Manager of Backpackers on castle

We stayed at this hostel during the world cup. This backpackers had bed bugs - would not recommend staying here.

I love services and unique and magical atmosphere of Backpackers-on-Castle. It has these assets: - prime location on corner of Long-Street and Strand, in heart of city; - easy access to railway-station and bus-station - combi taxis on main road - they will take you to Seapoint in 10 mins for just 5 rand - being located in vibrant Long-Street but away from noise of busy night clubs in middle of Long-Street - friendliness and efficiency of staff - feelgood factor and security are top-no

Such a dirty hostel. Cigarette butts all over, dirty dishes and nasty toilets. The dorm for 9 people was tiny and the keys to the safety-lockers could open all the other lockers as well! The staff was friendly on request. Would not recommend!

Im so sorry for your bad experience. We have recently changed management and installed many new policies including no smoking i the building, which rids the cigarette buds. Our cleaning staff are on the ball with dishes and the kitchen is spotless and the bathrooms are in the process of renovation. The lockers have had the locks replaced and I have tested myself each key making sure of the safety of our guests belongings as security is a priority. And we are no longer friendly on request, its constant, i promise :) If you are ever in town come by and have a look! apologies again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3