Backpackers on Dundas Reviews

126 Chestnut St, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Canada

I have been in many hostels and this is by far the worst one. To sum up: NO CREDIT/DEBIT CARD MACHINES, NO ELEVATOR SERVICE(good luck with the long stairs), CANT WEAR SHOES inside the hostel(you have to leave them in a big pile of dirty shoes @ reception), VERY NOISY & DIRTY ROOMS, UNFRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT, RUDE & IMPOLITE STAFF(Except for the nice guy with dark skin), ONLY 2 BATHROOMS, THE STAFF DONT EVEN KNOW WHICH BEDS ARE TAKEN & bedclothes you have to put it yourself. Look 4 another place!

It was a nice place to stay. I liked the small rooms, only 6 people in my room. There are not a lot of beds which means it is quiet, which is very nice.

Staff was nice and helpful but the hostel itself very average (tiny space, rooms, washrooms and kitchen are very cramped), though fine for a quick 1 night stay in transit. Very close to the bus station which was great.

Backpackers on Dundas cancelled my reservation at the last minute without offering any alternative accommodation and still have not returned my deposit. Very disappointed.

I'm unable to review the above as my booking was cancelled by the hostel even before I got there. I have yet to receive my deposit back. I will not book this hostel in the future.

It seems alot of reservations get ''lost''in that hostel. I arrived there, only to be told a cold '' Sorry but there was a mistake''. The guy at the desk was rude. I have no idea if the hostel is good itself, but rude staff ruined it for me. I would avoid it next time.

• 29th Apr 2014
  • Greece

I received an email from the hostel at 23.50 h. just THE DAY BEFORE arriving in Toronto, to tell me that my booking is cancelled. I had paid the non-refundable 3 dollars deposit two days before through Hostelworld, so at the end I paid 3 dollars for NOTHING. There is a big problem among hostels, that DO NOT close the systems which allow the people make the bookings, and pages like Hostelworld which TAKE MONEY even if you don't have the room. What is this? This is a shame, and it's NOT FAIR

The varied reception folk all helpful and friendly

I really love the place. If you plan to travel around Toronto, this is the place you should stay. However, please remember that it is just a hostel, not a hotel. All facilities are enough for a backpacker; a bed, blanket, pillow, locker, shower, kitchen, and free wifi. Anyway, if you want to have a good service like you are a king, please spend more in other hotels. Here, it's just like you are staying at your friend's home.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

The owner's mother was so kind, and helped me a lot. Thank you for making it such a great experience for me.

• 4th Mar 2014

Terrible place, booked a room for 4 and they "lost the reservation" so they were going to make us stay in a room full of random people with different beds. Left immediately upon entering do not stay here.

• 31st Jan 2014

The Hostel is in a great position and personnel seemed friendly though not really concerned about the quality of services provided to guests. Floors in the kitchen and bathrooms were swept clean, still carpets in the dorm rooms were dirty and ceilings had signs of mould due to humidity leaking from above. Pillow and mattress had stains all over but at least linen and blankets were fresh clean. Kitchen: small, dirty (spotted cockroaches in the mw oven) and improperly supplied. Shabby vibe!

It is a really good hostel. I met a lot of friends there.

• 31st Dec 2013
  • China

Friendly staff, good location, would definitely stay here again.

It's very basic; the reception area, common room, kitchen and dining room are basically all just in the same room with the dorms going off that room. It's ok if all you need is a bed for the night. Busy street right outside the window made for interrupted sleep.

What a fantastic location!...3 minutes from the Eaton Centre and Dundas Square...hundreds of restaurants...the girls dorm was very clean and bright...small kitchen but clean and functional...the new owners are working hard to upgrade the facility...many changes since I was there in July...

Location only good thing. In the girls dorm the blinds don't close so no privacy from main road outside. Tramps keeping warm in the stairwell and no locks on the dorm doors. The toilets stank the whole time of urine from disgusting unwashed rugs on the floor. The kitchen was crawling with flies and bugs and I am covered in bites all over my hands and back. I had no idea who was a guest and who was staff to complain to. I usually ignore comments like these as over the top, but trust me on this!!

very good location, nice stuff. the room is very clean,but the washroom is not very clean.

What a great location!...just minutes from the action!...really clean place...freshly painted...the new management are working hard to improve the property...the pillows are amazing

good vibes, nice people, nice and friendly staff :) thanks!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7