Backpackers on Dundas Reviews

126 Chestnut St, 2nd Floor, Toronto, Canada

This hostel is well located! You can walk around or take the public transportation. The hostel is clean and organized. I didn't like the no shoes rule, but whatever. The hostel opens at 8am and closes at 11pm, so grab a key.

It was a pain to stay there and it wasn't as clean as it was advertised. First of all, they don't let you wear shoes inside. I get that they are trying to keep the place clean, but it was a huge nuisance to take off when trying go in and out. Also it's really unhygienic to have bare feet in the showers. We were fairly grossed out that we never showered there. We forgot to take our shoes off and we yelled at. They also had Cockroaches in the bathroom! It's cheaper to use Airbnb.

• 12th Jul 2015

There was insects in the bathrooms

Place was so comfortable and I met good friends! Staff is the best and most helpful. It's spotless because Serge cleans ALL THE TIME! Also, Josh is awesome he helps me with whatever I need :)

During my stay for a week, I was pretty satisfied with the hostel. Staff was friendly and helpful, and they were constantly cleaning. Facilities were good, at least I got to use everything I needed to, from hair dryer, ironing board, to kitchen utilities. If you're on a budget trip, you can always cook in the hostel. However, using the washing machine costs CAD $5. Location was strategic, about 5 mins walk to the nearest subway station.

• 30th Jun 2015
  • Malaysia

Serge is so amazing! He will always make sure you have a good time in this great city. You will feel like you have your own personal city guide along with you.

The guy at the desk was unpleasant. Everything else was according to the price you pay, not interesting or special in any way. The location is great, however.

The staff do not start working before 8:00 am in the morning, If you would like to check out before 8am, return your key on the night before so you can have your deposit back, otherwise, you will lose you deposit just because the staff is not working between 11pm - 8am

I thought this was a generally very good hostel and an excellent value for the money. Surprisingly (to me, as a non-clean-freak), what impressed me most were 1) the great location (right by the bus depot) and a very convenient area to downtown & Toronto's Chinatown and 2) the cleanliness of the common areas (esp. the bathrooms and the shower rooms). Other strong positives were good atmosphere for interaction and entertainment room with nice TV (watched game 5 of the NBA finals with others).

Only thing I didn't like was the automatic air freshener in the dorm. Spraying into to air at intervals making a noise and filling the air with scent, not good for lungs I would have thought. Better used in a toilet.

As mentioned, no breakfast included and therefor low value for money. Also, there were some tensions between staff members which resulted in a dramatic wake up discussion. There are better options in the neighborhood for more money but far better value.

LOL I had an awesome time, staff is great! They are the best cunts around ;)

• 2nd May 2015

Great stay! I was only there for two nights but the rooms were clean as well as the facilities. A little smaller than the other hostels in town but nice for a short term stay!

It it very close to Megabus coach station. It was very loud in lounge room at night. I saw cockroaches at kitchen.

The hostel was okay for a one night stay. The location is very good and it was nice that we could do a real early check-in. I didnt like that they have air freshener in every room that spray out a very artificial smell every 30 minutes. One of them was located next to my bed, that wasnt very nice. The washrooms are very small and there are just two toilets. I saw a cockroach in the kitchen.

The man on duty was friendly. The men I shared an 8 bed room with were from Germany & Japan. Very nice friendly men. Interesting conversation.

Excellent staff. They were totally helpful assisting me on my planning thru the city for being my fist time in Toronto. That hostel is a good one I recommend

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Mexico

The hostel was excellent. good location right on dundas st, and has netflix so all the movies you want . John the Aussie bloke made our stay awesome , just don't try and play scrabble against him !!!!!