Backpacking Club Hostel Reviews

269/19 De Tham St., Pham Ngu Lao Ward, Dist 1, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Got there and our booked 5 bed dorm was full so we had to stay in the 9 bed. Dorm was damp and smelled strongly of mothballs. One guest was mentally unhinged and kept going into other peoples' rooms at night (no keys for dorms.) and scaring people awake by doing martial arts and shouting that everyone was in his bed, complaints about him were ignored

Great location near many bars and restaurants. Rooms en suited. Can book buses, tours, etc. through reception. Brekky included which is cool. Great place to stay!

• 1st Aug 2013

The room that we stayed in was a 5 person dorm and had no lock on the door. It was by far the worst dorm we have stayed in - the ensuite toilet was a dirty loo behind a screen not very far away from the beds. A bit graphic when everyone you're rooming with seems to have an upset stomach! My boyfriend got burnt when an electric wire exploded behind his head in the room. We told the staff and their solution was simply to cover said wire with plastic. Do not stay here with children.

• 31st Jul 2013

Rooms really arnt clean :( watched the cleaner come in and fluff the pillows (as a clean) the following day. No lock on our dorm door??cockroaches on floor in morning as eating breaky:( i know some ppl think this normal but it isnt- hostels cant be imaculate. Long hostel recomended :)

Great hostel bang in the middle of the backpackers area. not entirely secure since anyone can seem to just walk in. they mixed up our booking too so we can had to change to a different dorm. free bread n jam in the morning! cheap and pretty cheerful!

Does what it says. I booked a 5 bed dorm but when I got there they said it was full so I got put in a 9 bed dorm on the top floor. Not impressed.

Dorms are clean and ok. Minus for the smelly toilet without roof. Switched to double room last night which also happened to include an ant farm.

Great hostel. Really nice staff , room was clean, and its in a great location! lots of restaurants, bars and travel agents nearby.

• 20th Jul 2013

I booked a female dorm, but when we arrived they only had mixed dorms available. They promised us that we could move the next day. The next day we couldn't move. It went like this for 4 nights. When I wanted to change money to dollars they said they couldn't but the day before they could. Weird staff!

I suggest to improve the lockers in the room. I think that are kind of insecure.

Great hostel. They offered us 3 free beers each because we had to move rooms. Really nice staff

Great place, location quiet but around the corner from all the action. 5 min walk from the sihanoukville sleeper bus (don't get a taxi,people we spoke to got ripped off $40!). Staff were very kind and gave regular advice on security (bag snatching etc). My girlfriend was quite ill on the day we were meant to leave and they dealt with us constantly changing our bus with a smile and also brought her honey tea and arranged (and took us to) a private room in nearby hostel as there was no room there.

• 13th Jul 2013

Close to go out in. Fun

there was a mix up with our rooms even though they pre booked. We had booked a 5 bed private dorm and double private room. They had initially wanted to put us all into a 9 bedded dorm. After we had explained our booking again and waited a while they sorted it.The sheets was stained and towels practically threadbare and pillows were creased and looked like they weren't fresh. We even found a cockroche in one bed the next morning!!. Needless to say I wouldn't stay here again or advise others to.

location is great!

Good value for money, good breakfast (bananas, eggs and breads). A little tough to find because it's in a back alley. Could not lock the door of our dormroom because they didn't have enough keys. Locker provided but no lock so bring your own.

The hostel is nice and clean. its located in backpackers area, very easy to find tours and place for eat. Staff are nice and helpfull. They really did their best to make our stay in Vietnam as good as possible. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone visiting hcmc

• 5th Jun 2013
  • Malaysia

Stayed in five bed mix dorm. Beds were spacious and clean and so were bathroom and shower. Cleaning staff came every morning to empty bins and make beds. Free breakfast (nothing special but you can't go wrong with free!)

• 20th Mar 2013
  • Japan

Weak wifi signal sometimes, err to they benefit

I was expecting to pay with credit card. The reception had the Visa logo. When I ask if I could pay with credit card the recpionist at the desk said you must pay cash up front. I then said I will go to another hostel, and can I please have my passport back. She refused to hand over my passport, and said that I must pay her four days of room rate which I had booked for. She would not hand over my passport until I paid up four days worth of booking.