Backstreet Youth Hostel Reviews

3 Ren Min Road, Guilin, China

This is the best location hostel in China, right in the center of everything - This is the only thing I can praise about this place. We stayed in second floor and every morning you can hear people talking, breakfast preparation or even when people walk. The bed is very hard and thin. The staff is helpful but there is one girl that get annoyed easily when I asked the same question for two times! PS: breakfast and beer price is quite expensive.

Thank you for your review. While we do have the best location in Guilin, we hope it is not the only thing worth praise. We pride on customer service and will always do our best to offer a comfortable experience. We have quieter rooms available on request and our beds are firm and comfortable based on customer feedback. For all menu items, all our guests are offered 20% off. We also make the effort to use only healthy cooking oil like olive. Other restaurants will use unhealthy transfat oil.

This hostel has everything one can ask for. BIG, clean rooms, great location, very friendly and helpful staff, tours organized as well as information on public transport. The lobby is a very nice area to hang out. The only minor thing that is not perfect is that WiFi does not work in the rooms - but who needs that when there is a lobby?

Thank you so much for your kind review! We're very happy that you enjoyed your time here. We offer Wifi in the lobby in order to provide a network which allows our guests access to Facebook, Google services, Wordpress and many other websites normally blocked by China. We wanted to make sure all Backstreet guests have the opportunity to get in contact with friends and family back home. Our Wifi networks are also very reliable. Team Backstreet

Great and helpful staff. Equipment in the bathroom (tower rail) broken and not too clean but beds and blankets were clean.

Thank you for your review! We apologize for the towel rail. It was just a small issue with a loose screw that needed to be tightened. With regards to cleanliness, we are always diligent with our cleaning efforts and clean our rooms thoroughly everyday. Our hard-working cleaning staff work tirelessly to make everything spotless. If there are any concerns with your room, please address it with our staff and we will make things right. Team Backstreet

The staff was very helpful when we had to plan day trips

• 7th Oct 2013

Thank you for your review! We are the best day planners! =) Team Backstreet

The service was really good. I left my sun glasses at the hostel and they mailed it back to me in perfect wrapping with no trouble. They were also really helpful when asking around for different attractions. The receptionist even refilled my phone balance with her own phone. They are really friendly and the place itself was very clean, more than we expected!

• 30th Sep 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review! We're so glad your sun glasses arrived safely back to you. We were very nervous that they would break as we tried our very best to package it. If there is anything you need, we're always here to help. Backstreet hostel is your best friend in Guilin. =) Team Backstreet

Nice staff but the place was not the same: my room had humidities, my locker was broken... Not bad if you have to stay but I'm sure there are better ones.

We're very sorry that these things happened however, this review was very hurtful to us and was simply unjustified. Firstly, we have working air-conditioning units in all the rooms so simply turning it on will remove the humidity. Secondly, we fixed your locker immediately when you brought it to our attention. Our staff are very hard-working, and always tries their very best to address our guests concerns professionally unlike other less experienced hostels. Thank you. Team Backstreet

The staff at reception are the nicest girls!! Very helpful, good English, always smiling, I loved staying there. Rooms are very simple, but good value for money. Close to everything the city has to offer.

Thank you for your review! We are really glad you enjoyed your stay here! =) Team Backstreet

Nice hostel.

Thank you very much for your review! =)

Great hostel that has the most helpful staff in the world! We were trapped in Guilin due to a Typhoon hitting Hong Kong, and they helped us call the airline, arrange for other tickets...If it wouldn't have been for their help would have lost tons of time. Besides that, the rooms are great, the beds are incredibly comfortable, the bathrooms clean, cheap....what more can you ask for?? Plus there is a grat atmosphere!! Awesome value for money!

Thank you very much for your review! You can always rely on us to help you with anything! Have a safe trip in Hong Kong. =) Team Backstreet

Really enjoyed my stay here. The staff were friendly and spoke good English. Really good location - I didn't really plan on doing all that much in Guilin, but it felt pretty central. Close to the busy tourist area but far away enough to not be noisy etc. Definitely stay here again!

Thank you for your review and we're very glad you enjoyed your stay here at Backstreet! Our hostel is very central in the city. In fact, it is the best located of all the hostels in Guilin. We're tucked away from the busy tourist street, Zheng Yang Pedestrian Street. Beside us is the famous Li River and around the corner is the 2 Pagodas and also the Elephant Trunk Hill. We are also in a very well known area which makes it very easy for taxis to find. See you again! =) Team Backstreet

Great hostel, knowledgeable and helpful staff. I enjoyed my stay and would recommend to others.

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your support and recommendation to others. =) Team Backstreet

I would improve lightning in bathroom and wifi does not work in rooms, only at reception but the rest very good.

Thank you for your suggestion and review. We have recently implemented LED lighting to improve energy efficiency as well as improved lighting in all the bathrooms.

Nice place to chill out.

Thank you for your review! We're glad you found a nice place to chill! =) Team Backstreet

The best hostel we have stayed in so far (China) It is super clean, the food is decent, the staff are excellent. They were really helpful & gave us some good trip & travel advice. Highly recommened. I did lose some things though but its my own fault for leaving it out.

Thank you for your review! We're really glad you enjoyed your stay. We're sorry that you lost some items. Be aware that there are petty thieves everywhere and that includes hostels. We hate those who steal and take the necessary steps to minimize theft from occurring with surveillance cameras installed in all public areas of the hostel. Those caught are taken to authorities. Aside from our best efforts, all guests should always be careful with their belongings, especially when traveling.

good location, bad (bed) bugs

Hello guest, Thank you for staying at Backstreet. We have read your review and would like to let you know that we have thoroughly examined your room and have not found any bugs of any kind. If we are to encounter such a situation, we will take all necessary action to make sure it is fixed. Any guests who have any concerns, please let our staff know and we'll do our very best to help. =) Team Backstreet

Great location and welcoming communal area for socialising. Rice paddies tour was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. Could potentially do with a few more seats in the communal area, otherwise a brilliant hostel.

This was a very cozy hostel. I was so happy to lay my head down after my long train ride. The rooms were very spacious and I loved the that the shower was in the room. The hot water worked fantastic. I also appreciated that they had lockers you were not charged in anyway for. You just use the lock you brought. The computer service is also free. I ordered breakfast there and it was delicious. Great toast! The common area was really welcoming and relaxing, especially after a long day.Staff=awesome

Had a great stay

• 12th Jul 2013

awesome location, great staff. value for money great!

I wish we had stayed in greenforest another night! this hostel was fine, dorms clean and comfy. the location is not as great but easy enough to find. social area is fine but they played terrible music really loudly till late at night, meaning conversation had to be shouted to be heard. Breakfast wasn't great. little things like when we were trying to talk to staff and they started having a conversation with each other from across the room for a minute before finishing answering us.

Dear, thanks for staying with Backstreet and feedback to us your opinion, it helps us to do job better. We are located in the most central area of Guilin, all attractions are in walking distance! Our guests will ask us all kinds of questions about the travel, sometimes our staff need exchange info. before we reply you only because we want to provide you the right info. We always try our best to help everyone. Enjoy your trip in China. Team Backstreet.