Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

Nice place, run by a friendly and welcoming host - Unkas. He's in the process of arranging a outdoor terrace. The only negative point for me as a non-smoker was that common area (like everything else in the Balkans, it seems) was with a heavy tobacco smell

I really loved this hostel! Unkas was great and it really felt like home, didn't want to leave!!

I wish I could have stayed longer! Unkas cooked for everyone in the hostel one night and it was delicious. He also organised a tour for us with one of his friends. Sarajevo is a beautiful city. The hostel is clean, the bar a good place to meet travellers and the kitchen is well equipped. I'd definitely come back.

very nice hostel! unkas even cooked us a free bosnian dinner one night!

the hostel owner unkas welcomes his guesst personally. you feel like home from the very first moment. the location is perfect and the hostel itself clean and well decorated.

Chose to stay there after reading the good reviews online. Completely agree with the positive reviews. I had a wonderful stay there and the owner was more then happy to help me with suggestions on what where to grab some nice local food!

• 15th Feb 2014
  • Sweden

I had a great experience with Hostel Balkan Han. Unkas was a wonderful host. He gave me tons of recommendations of things I could see and do in the city and surrounding area, arranged a tour for me, and booked my hostel and transportation to my next destination. I would recommend his hostel to anyone.

Fantastic hostel! I would recommend this place to anyone travelling to Sarajevo. The highlight of the hostel was definitely its owner, Unkas. On multiple occasions he was able to help my group with many things making our stay in Sarajevo all the more enjoyable. The welcome drink on arrival was also a very nice touch.

• 16th Jan 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

a very good place to stay, the hostel is cosy and warm, the location is great, everything was tidy and clean. the city is wonderful and very interesting!!

Looks like the best Hostel in Sarajevo, thanks to its owner ! We arrived in the afternoon and he arranged tickets for the G.Bregovic show the same day at a discount price.

Balkan Han was by far and a way the best hostel I have ever stayed at. The location is ideal and everything inside is new and meticulously cleaned. The bar is the ultimate place to kickstart your evening and make new friends after you've enjoyed your free welcome shot with a perfect social vibe. Unkas really is the host with the most and made me feel more like an adopted son than a guest throughout my stay. If you want a warm, homely place to stay and enjoy this awesome city look no further.

Great location, only 5 minutes from the old town. Unkas (the owner) is a friendly guy, welcomed me with a nice shot of rakija which warmed me right up on the cold autumn day. Big room, even got a free upgrade to a double bed which I was extremely grateful for. Would definitely stay here again

new facilities in great location. comfortable stay and I would be back!

friendly and roomy, I did a tour of mostar with the hostel and it was very good, money well spent, thankyou!

nice welcome, nice host, very good beds ready to sleep in!

Absolute ripper of a hostel! Unkas, the owner, makes any situation fantastic and keeps the hostel lively even if it's only you and him. Everythig was super clean with a nice big bathroom. Unkas would happily give any amount of information and is actually doing me a massive favour for me now by sending a jacket I left behind to my next destination! No complaints about this place and don't forget to enjoy the 'delicious' welcome shot!

If you want a home away from home this is the place to go, great facilities, always clean, great common areas and friendly guests and staff, would stay here again

Its a very nice place to stay, very easy to get there from the bus station and very close to the city center , unka is really friendly and makes his guest feel like at home, the hostel offer a good balance between party and rest, everyone can find find its place and eel respected

This hostel is great! And Unkas is a legend:) The atmosphere is fun & lively. Rooms and facilities are big and clean. Great recommendations on things to do in the city. And if you can talk Unkas into going with you -DO IT! He took care of me while I was sick, his kindness is unmatched. Stay at Balkan Han!!!

Staying at Balkan Han will not only give you a nice place to sleep, but the whole package! Best tips, best staff and best night atmosphere. That's the beauty of it. It works as a party hostel if you want to (separate bar/common room) but also quite enough to sleep and chill if you need to