Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

Really cool hostel, nice chilled out atmosphere, located right in the town centre, helpful staff, all good! Unkas the owner is great, helped arrange my trip to Belgrade as well. 10/10, would hostel again.

We had a fantastic stay at Balkan Han. It is a small hostel, so it was very personalised service and we were made to feel very welcome. The dorm room was very comfortable and the bar was a lot of fun. The location was great and easily accessible to many sights, bars and delicious food. I also recommend the driving tour that can be organised through the hostel.

• 13th Jul 2014

Easily the best hostel I've stayed in; the owner is very friendly, basically acts as an excellent travel agent, and has a well stocked bar.

The owner was very nice and helpful! The hostel was clean and had a good atmosphere. There was a great patio outside and the owner set up an amazing tour of the city.

Awesome place. Owner is really chill, and takes care of the place. Be sure to take the hostel's seige tour with Hassan. Amazing experience, and it gave me memories to remember for the rest of my life.

Hotel in great location with everything you need- clean rooms, lockers, computers, outdoor garden and a bar complete with welcome shots! Host Unkas is so welcoming and helpful, recommending a great tour (one of the highlights of your trip), and eating options.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Unkas is a legend innkeeper. The hostel is easy to find, free lockers are provided, there is a great bar and patio included in the hostel. I had a very good time in Sarajevo and The Balkan Han was a driving factor. Would not stay anywhere else in Sarajevo. The value for the money is exceptional.

The hostel was perfect! Very clean and comfortable, nice atmosphere. I think it has been the perfect option to enjoy the beauty of Sarajevo. Unkas, the owner, is amazing! If you go there, listen carefully to his good advice to enjoy every aspect and detail of the city.

• 30th Jun 2014

Really good hostel, and the owner, Unkas, does everything he can to make you enjoy your stay, including free bbq at nights followed by live music in the common room, but it's allowed to smoke in the there which made it hard for me to hang out there. The rooms are also a bit noisy as the windows need to be open to let air in and the street is a bit loud, and it was hard to charge the phone if you had a top bunk. But the beds were super comfy and everything was clean!

Had a really great time at Balkan Han Hostel, I would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Sarajevo. It is very clean, the garden is very beautiful and the location is great :)

Nice hostel. Very friendly owner. Small walk to old town. Offers a guided tour wich I would recommend. Nice garden and also basement where you can chilll out.

• 18th Jun 2014

Balkan Han Hostel is perfect for a group of friends that want to stay un Sarajevo. In the city centre with a nice and helpful staff it has also car park facilities if you ask to the manager. Definitely good value for your money.

I had such a good time! The owner and his family are very welcoming. It is simply charming. Hands down, it's one of the coolest hostels I have ever stayed at. The decorations, the design, the whole way it functions is extremely original and creative. I wish I could have stayed longer!

• 15th Jun 2014

Fantastic hostel, I strongly recommend the special tour that the the hostel owner Unkas recommends. Extremely helpful and attentive staff, I felt very at home. Extra activities were all organized for me as well by the hostel.

Great host in Unkas (hostel owner) and excellent location not far from the city centre. Secure, clean, internet a little slow but that was a minor thing really, could be hard to get showered if hostel is full. Not many people seemed to speak English when I was there so it was hard to make conversation. Unkas is a great guy - I left my phone there and he sent it on to Belgrade where I was stopping over for a transfer so I could be reunited with it the same day. Brilliant service. Thanks.

The best place to stay in Sarajevo! Great location in the centre of the city and 1 minute walk from the famous club Sloga, really friendly owner Unkas who takes care of the hostel and his guests very well, rooms very clean and colorful and a nice common room where you can sit and mingle with other guests, drinking local rakija :) Oh, and the garden is really the top! Probably the best hostel I´ve ever stayed at, feeling almost like at home :)

I really enjoyed my stay at the Balkan Han. I was only there for one night, but the rooms where spacious and nice and Unkas is a really really cool guy! I'd imagine that once the season starts this is an even better place for getting together with great people and having a wonderful time in Sarajevo. I'm pretty sure I'll return.

Really big rooms and super clean. Anna is great, made me feel very welcome. Would definitely come back.

This is a great little hostel! While Unkas is super nice and helpful and the tour you can do with his friend is 100% recommendable. The bedrooms were nice and clean and the outside area is nice. The shower however is pretty much cold barely gets to Luke warm and although there is a full kitchen Unkas tells you he doesnf want you to use it, which I didn't really like. Otherwise I would very much recommend this place

Had a great time at this hostel. The host Unkas was really helpful and even an arrival at 5 in the morning was no problem at all. Breakfast in the garden was really nice as well!