Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in, the owner Unkas always has plenty of time for the guests and has so much information about the area, also Ivan is fantastic as he gets all the New guests talking to each other making this a very social and fun hostel. The trip around Sarajevo is fantastic value, you learn so much about the war and the history of Bosnia and there are beautiful sights. I extended my stay and would love to come back!

Fun and lively, lovely stay! A bit of noise from cars on the street, but I slept well.

The Balkan Han War Tour was incredible; so interesting, thought-provoking and fantastic value for money, make sure you do it! Possibly the best thing we did on our whole two month trip.

I had a nice time here and the staff are friendly ! It's just a bit annoying to have nowhere at night to chill due to noise problems...

Absolutely lovely place, nice atmosphere and charismatic owner of the hostel. I ve really enjoyed the stay in the hostel and in the city

Great hostel. Uncas is amazing, listen to his dinner recommendations! Instructions to the hostel aren't as obvious as they first seem but easy to find when you know where

Awesome place to stay in Sarajevo! it is located right off one of the main streets, and well placed between the Old Town and the more modern parts of the city. A tram runs right down the main street. Note that the actual name of the street can be difficult to find on a map, as it seems it remains the name for only a block or two.

We had a really nice stay at Balkan Han and enjoyed our time a lot! Thanks for taking such good care and not murdering us for showing up in the very early morning hours :)

Really nice hostel and couldn't ask for more in many ways. Staff in general were brilliant and helpful, if a little pushy for us to go on their tour. Owner was irritating at times and constantly being told to be quiet when talking outside past 9pm got on our nerves. Wifi temperamental at best during our stay.

Great hostel with a great guy running it! Unkas looked after us very well during our stay here!

The owner is staggeringly unprofessional. After pressuring me to sign up for his overpriced tours all weekend, he charged me an extra euro for paying with a card, despite not having charged the two guys who paid (also with cards) right before me. When I mentioned this fee to the other guests, the guy YELLED at me. Like, actually yelled. And didn't stop yelling until I told him I'd post about it, at which point he told me that 'after all he'd done for me' (?), I wasn't being fair.

Common area on second floor is very small and only has 4 chairs to sit at table. They do have a outdoor common area downstairs but it shuts down early. The showers are push button and ice cold if others are showering at the same time. You may have to share your bed with a stranger as well and that is strange and uncomfortable.

Balkan Han hostel is brilliant. Beautiful hostel with excellent common areas, plenty of showers and toilets, and a superior staff. Unkas takes care of his guests very well and will help you in any way possible. Ask him about Unkas' special dinner at Djezna (spell check) and grab a few hostel mates and go. The Siege of Sarajevo tour they offer is extremely worthwhile too. What a great experience!

Lovely atmosphere, spotlessly clean and central location. The local owners are so engaging with restaurant tips, city transfers and we did their €30 tour where they drive you around the city and mountains for 6 hours sharing stories and bringing you to spots with no other tourists. With 50 beds you'll meet loads of people too.

Very cramped. 8-bed rooms are more like 16-bed rooms because you have to walk through one room to get to the other, and they just separate by a door. Not a very social hostel. Hostel staff not very helpful. Tour was OK albeit you can find better and cheaper ones in the city. Staff did not provide air-con remote (in July) - suggested that we asked for them to turn it on (they were never around). Made booking for 2 persons - they said they weren't able to provide us with 2 keys.

Good experience overall. Only inconvenience was the bad Wifi (not available in bedrooms).

Terrific atmosphere in this hostel. Perfect place for backpackers and for anyone who likes a chilled, friendly enviroment. The veranda/courtyard is really a sweet spot. Facilities were okay, staff is helpful. The owner seems a bit of a Lebowski guy, very eccentric, he loves to have a chat and a drink with anyone!

Location and cleanliness were perfect! Wifi was a bit of a battle at times and because of the surrounding apartment blocks we couldn't hang out after 11pm but overall a good stay.

I would not stay here again. Staff is nice. Atmosphere is friendly. BUT facilities are not up to par. Wifi: only works in one room in the basement. Air conditioning: you have to continually ask to use it. They tell you to open the windows at night so you don't slew due to busy road outside of window. Showers: only have an on button. Water is cold and shower doesn't drain properly so you're left standing in cold water with dead flies.

My bedroom window opened up onto the footpath/street and was inches away from cars as they drove past. You could see people's feet and hear them as they walked past the window. Staff is relatively helpful, but any issue you may have will be your fault- no matter what. There's no air conditioning but it remains relatively cool despite the heat. I definitely don't think I would stay here again, though. I met others who paid the same for far better value closer to the city centre.

Dear guest, we really have no comment to this review after all care that we did for you. There is never one single question or issue that we are not giving our best to solve and to help our guests. And we are like that for last four years since we were opened and with all our people who were so very happy with our hospitality. Just the opposite -guest are always right!