Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

Cannot fault this hostel. Big, bright, airy, colourful, location, common room, location. Do yourself a favour

One of my favorite hostels in this trip. The dorms, common areas and showers are super clean, comfortable with lively colours. The location is close enough to the city center. The owner helped me to book transportation as I needed to get back to Belgrade, and he handles landry. I recommend it a lot more than the other hostel I tried in Sarajevo!

Loved this place. Unkas is a fantastic guy - so welcoming. The hostel is lovely - very colorful, clean. All of the beds were comfy (I moved around a bit because I was there for a while), particularly one which was like a cloud. When we moved upstairs, he had a full house, so I got to sleep on a double bed, usually for couples. My only warning is don't jump into the shower straight after someone else!!!!

We had a great stay at this hostel as it was a brilliant location, clean and our host was extremely friendly and even gave us some local delicacies to try we would definitely recommend staying here.

Really nice owner, super comfy beds and extremely close to everything in town = pluses. Minuses, very quiet, newish hostel. No common area except a windowless room/bar that is smoke-friendly so you can't just sit in there and chillout even if u wanted to because you can't breathe. Bathroom not great and rarely enough hot water. All things that could be improved, and if so will stay again, as Sarajevo is a really cool city.

Urkan is an absolute legend. He takes everyone out for dinner and shows them where to go out. He tells you really interesting stories about what he and the country has been through. Great hostel.

Definitely stay here if you are visiting Sarajevo. The place is clean, the beds are comfy, the location is perfect and the owner and staff are amazing people. Go to the places the staff recommend to eat, the food is really good. I had a great time and would recommend anyone to stay here.

Great stay! Really friendly hostel owner with great morning drinks! Amazingly colourful decor, and good location :) Thanks for your hospitality

• 5th Sep 2013

Unkas was a wonderful host and his hostel is top-notch. This place is great: there's a common room where people gather to watch football and generally hang out, but it's far enough from the sleeping areas that those who need rest can get it in spades. I can't recommend this enough.

Clean, central location, homely atmosphere and helpful staff. Stay here if you want to stay away from the mainstream touristy hostels also. Highly recommended! Unkas, thanks a lot for the hospitality, stories about your life in Bosnia and rakia!!

Thank you very much for your hospitallity!!! I had a great time in the Balkan Han Hostel, you were really nice with me =) Beijos from Brazil!!! Maíra

We spent three days in this fantastic city and Balkan Han Hostel was a perfect place to stay. Staff was so friendly, the welcome drink was good and it just felt like being home. Nice, clean and new facilities. I will definitely come back soon.

• 21st Aug 2013

I loved this hostel. (One of) the best hostel I've ever been. Great staff, great atmosphere, great location... has it all!! If I go back to Sarajevo I'll go there again, no doubt about it.

Loved the atmosphere - excellent host with a fun garden and bar area. There are no lockers so I recommend bringing a computer / suitcase lock, but the rooms and facilities are excellent.

We are sorry you didn't find the lockers, but actually as soon as you come to the hostel and as soon as you get your hostel key you will get your locker key and recomandation to use it for everything valuable that you have on you. Lockers are divided into 2 parts, but you can make it in one big locker just by removing the board that divides it in 2. Respectfully yours Balkan Han Hostel

Best hostel I have ever been in my life. Unkas was such an excellent host, he arrange us another room despite the inconvinience of having us for an extra night and he even booked us a mini bus in order to reach Croatia for a really awesome price stopping in Mostar for some sight seeing. Sarajevo is an amazing city and Unkas, his staff and his hostel honours wonderful Bosnia.

• 16th Aug 2013
  • Spain

We had a great time in Balkan Han Hostel. The owner and the staff where so nice, they brought us to a very nice balcan party, had very good food and drinking hints, the atmoshpere in the hostel (with its bar etc.) was very good, friendly and welcoming. I would all my friends recommend the place.

Brilliant hostel and very friendly and approachable staff. However there is no air con/ fan in the rooms upstairs and this, along with the lack of blinds on windows, makes it very difficult to sleep.

Cute small hostel. You are allowed to smoke in all the common areas, so it smells very strongly of cigarettes. Really helpful staff.

This is a really nice hostel. Very friendly staff, clean with excellent dorms. The nice backyard makes it easy to make new friends too. I would definitely recommend this hostel!

Very good hostel! Unkas, the owner is a very welcoming and generous person. I warmly recommend this place to backpackers who like chill out places.

Dear Fanny, Thank you very much. It was a pleasure having you here :) Whenever you are in Sarajevo we hope we will host you. Respectfully yours, Balkan Han Hostel