Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

totally best hostel! you just feel at home from the first moment you get there, and the owner is super helpful with both practical stuff and recommendations for trips and food to try - also they have a nice garden where you can enjoy a beer and meet new people!

Balkan Han is an incredibly cosy hostel and you feel straight at home in this place. The owner is super sweet and makes you feel welcome. He also arranged an airport transfer for me as there is no public transport available. Also close to the center. Highly recommended.

I highly recommend staying here. While it was the off season, and there werent too many people- the staff made sure that it was still a completely sociable experience. Definitely spend the money to go on the driving and or walking tours as they really show you Sarajevo and all it has to offer.

I couldn't possibly fault this hostel, which is probably the best I've stayed at in a decade of sporadic traveling. After finding my way into town (later discovered they offer a car service for €10) I was pleased with the location, the welcome from the owner, and the facilities (which were cosy, comfortable and clean). After meeting the other guests we went for dinner & drinks, and I found the atmosphere to be very good. I look forward to staying here again, and to take their various tours.

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. Not only thet the facilities are great, very clean and central. No, the atmosphere in the hostel is just warm, welcoming. I really came as a guest and left as a friend. The owner and the staff do everything to make your stay comfortable, have great tips, show you around and even join you in the bars etc:) Thanks again to Unkas, Meme, Ero...

Friendly staff (free shot on arrival!) and nice relaxed atmosphere. Very good location. Only negative is if you are in the top bunks then there is no plug socket close to the bed.

• 20th May 2015

The hostel have a great atmosphere. There's always someone in the common area. We went out for dinner and drink together, there're always someone to do things with. The location is great. And Unkas is always so so helpful.

We had great time in Sarajevo thanks to Unkas and his staff! They were so great and friendly and I definitely recommend their tour "Sarajevo under siege", it's the best value for money that you can get from all other tours in the city agencies and surely something that you MUST SEE when visiting Sarajevo!

• 19th May 2015
  • Jamaica

the atmosphere is beautiful, people are open and creative, and i must say that for a long time i haven't seen so crazy host (in a positive way) :) vive la Unkas! i totally recomend this place for all the extraterrestrials backpackers and all the people looking for a great place in their lives and minds!

• 18th May 2015
  • Croatia

I've been to Sarajevo many times, but I hope I'll come to Balkan Han again, and again, and again, and again... We had great fun with Unkas (the host)... chatting, drinking, playing chess with him and listening some great music on his vinyls...

• 18th May 2015
  • Croatia

Fell in love in and with this place. One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in with the most amazing staff. Felt right at home like we were on great family.

• 17th May 2015

Good location and the owner was very friendly and accommodating. Although I would not recommend the tours he suggests.I went on the driving tour he recommended and it was overpriced and the tour guide was not informed enough about the history of Sarajevo and was shy/reluctant to engage in conversation about the history. All in all I enjoyed my stay and had good fun.

I seldom write comments for the hostels because I am lazy, but I will definitely write one for Unkas' Balkan Han. This is definitely the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Unkas, the host, is very friendly and extremely helpful on arranging the horrible Balkans transportation for us. The hostel is clean with Unkas' good interior colourful design, it is so cozy having a chat with other amazing people in the courtyard. Wifi is good and shower is at Balkans' average. Again, a must in Sarajevo!

We had a great stay at Balkan Han. The staff were fantastic, friendly and the atmosphere was great. The hostel was clean and tidy and any requests were not a problem. Would stay here again and highly recommend it.

Had a lot of fun here with the staff - they will take you out to the strangest places in Sarajevo but always had a lot of fun. Good facilities, good location, solid atmosphere and no shortage of enthusiasm. A good place to stay if you want good stories!

You arrive as a guest, you leave as a friend. Thanks to Askunkas and all his team!!!

Good location, beds are big and comfortable, very clean bathroom with hot shower, stable wifi, big lockers. And Unkas, the owner is superb nice and friendly. He knows everything and you could just ask him:)

I'm so grateful for the guys at the hostel, they were pleasure to get to know and they were so helpful Good environment and clean

A fantastic hostel right in the heart of Sarajevo. Be sure to do the tour which takes you to important sights during the siege. Absolutely fascinating.

One of the best hostels I know. Perfectly located and Unkas the owner is a great and helpful host. The hostel itself is very nicely decorated, has comfy beds and good showers and so on and is spotlessly clean. It was my second stay here and I will be back for sure!