Balkan Han Hostel Reviews

A fantastic hostel right in the heart of Sarajevo. Be sure to do the tour which takes you to important sights during the siege. Absolutely fascinating.

One of the best hostels I know. Perfectly located and Unkas the owner is a great and helpful host. The hostel itself is very nicely decorated, has comfy beds and good showers and so on and is spotlessly clean. It was my second stay here and I will be back for sure!

I really enjoyed my stay here. The hostel is pretty small, which I found to be great for solo travelers. It was really easy to meet people. There's a bar area with free coffee and tea. There's only one full bathroom, but I didn't find that to be an issue since the hostel isn't that big. Unkus is very helpful and even let me pay in multiple currencies, which I really appreciated. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. The location is maybe a 5 minute walk in to the Old Town - super convenient.

Defiantly recommend.

Ask Unkas, and he will go above and beyond to make sure you have a great stay. The smoke in the common room can be a bit of an issue for non-smokers, but it isn't horrible. My only suggestion would be adding reading lights to the bunks!

As I hostel worker, I DEFINITELY recommend Balkan Han Hostel to the fellow travellers. It's an amazing place! It's one of the best hostels I've ever stayed. Perfect location, really secure and super clean. Beside of all GREAT staff! You immediately feel the spirit once you step in the Balkan Han. Unkas is amazing host, he knows the best spots in and out of Sarajevo. Don't you ever miss the tour that he offers to Mostar. Looking forward to be there again and challenge to him on backgammon :)

This is possibly the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at. Everything has it's place, and it is very welcoming. Unkas, the owner is an amazing man. He has great energy and does all he can to make his guests feel welcome. He has many interesting stories and really enjoys discussing music and playing records. Balkan Han is an experience in Sarajevo not to be missed.

This hostel is everything you could want while staying in Sarajevo. Spend time with Unkas! He has great stories and will go out of his way to help you in any way he can :)

• 25th Jan 2015

this hostel is not the typical flashi new hostel, but it has all the typical hostel facility's and a bit more atmosfeer then the "flashi" hostels in town. If there are now people snoring beds sleep very good, big badroom and good beers in the bar.

As many people already said about BalkanHan; the best host, the best hostel! 100% true! Fully recommend!

• 4th Jan 2015
  • Croatia

This is one of the best hostels I stayed in. Very good located, facilities are clean and has a nice bar, with a great atmosphere to meet new people (it can be loud or calm depending on the guests). Unkas, the owner, is one of the best hosts I've met, very friendly and willingly to answer doubts and suggest places to visit in the city. He will make sure that you have everything you need and hangs out in the bar, talking to guests and telling anything about the Balkans. I highly recommend it.

I have been in many hostels before (Americas, Europe and SE Asia) and I can say my overall experience in the hostel was great. The owner was very very helpful, the location is perfect and the place is pretty cool. Good choice!

It was a great experience!Unkas, the host was the best! He taught us a lot about the history of the city as well as he showed us some bar at night! The hostel facilities are really good, clean and safe;there is one great bar there too!The staff is polite;Unkas was there all the time and was always doing the best for us.The location is excellent. The atmosphere is everything you expect of a hostel! The hostel also provides a garage (there is a fee, but it is ok!). We tottaly recommend Balkan Han!

We passed an excellent trip into Sarajevo. We feel welcoming on the hostel and on the city.

One of the most depressing basements in Bosnia. Out of date.

Dear Mr.Steffen! We are very unpleasantly surprised for a bad comment from you, as all our other guests are really so enthusiastic about atmosphere and cleanliness in our hostel, and as we can not find your name in our guest book, we are wondering if you've been to our hostel at all? Or maybe this is misunderstanding because there is one more hostel with very similar name and as we really care about each client we have! All the best, Unkas Could you please explain more about your bad review?

AMAZING!!!!! coming to Balkaan Han was an amazing experience, i loved it because it's not a place where you just drop your staff and u go, but IT'S THE PERFECT PLACE TO MEET NEW TRAVELERS,it has big and charming common aereas where u can stay and drink coffee and tea (that are free) all day! Unkas,the owner is an easy-going man, really welcome and always ready to help. I always think that "home is where people makes u feel like at home" and Unkas really did. I will never forget this experience!

Balkan Han has to be one of the best hostels I have stayed at. It's small enough to get to know everyone staying there, and the owner, Unkas, is one of the friendliest, funniest, most helpful people I have met. If you are going to Sarajevo and you don't stay here then you are making a huge mistake. Sharing a beer with him and listening about his time in the war or watching him dance in the bar to Bosnian music was an absolute trip. Also, facilities are very nice and the beds are comfortable.

It's a very good hostel, near the city center (you do not need to take any bus or taxi to go around the city) , cheap and has a very good atmosphere that makes you feel at home :) the hostel has a nice garden and I loved to stay there!

• 9th Oct 2014

It was a little bit smelly with the cigaretts.

Great hospitality and really fun vibe with a good location, try it yourself

• 28th Sep 2014