Balmain Backpackers Working Hostel

Very Good 543 Total Reviews

• Canada, Female, 18-24
15th Sep 2017
6.6

You'll get what you pay for here! If you want super cheap accommodation it's alright!

• Northern Ireland, Male, 25-30
13th Sep 2017
7.7

Cheap and in a decent location. Beds are comfy enough and the facilities are suitable for daily use. Car parking facilities, a bit tight but workable. Good craic once you get to know the people you are staying with. Staff were helpful and friendly Downside is because if so many people you're likely to get someone snoring loud. The place is rather dirty, especially in the morning before it gets cleaned. I had a few things that went missing, like my phone charger. No biggy, just annoying

• Germany, Male, 18-24
20th Aug 2017
7.7

Lets make this short, the hostel itself is pretty run-down and in desperate need of an overhaul. (What did you expect for this price?) As the backpackers themselves can work for accommodation, the cleanliness depends on who is "managing" right now; Although I must say, Wyomi is doing an awesome job right now! BTW: No locker! The friendliness of the people was awesome as most have been long-term travelers from around the world and always open for a chat. We spend some awesome nights together!

• USA, Male, 25-30
26th Jul 2017

I stayed here for several months last year when the place was really rough. I'm back now, and its come up quite a bit since then under new manager Tom. The facilities are noticeably cleaner with renovations under way in various parts of the hostel and Staff are friendly and accommodating. Also, the Wifi is actually functional.

• Denmark, Couple, 18-24
9th Jul 2017
5.7

I stayed here three nights with my boyfriend in a private room. There was not enough cutlery and dishes/bowls and all the kitchen facilities were unclean. Worst of all, we had both giant cockroaches and bugs in our room.

• Australia, Female, 18-24
10th Jun 2017
2.0

Arrived at 10pm. I had CALLED earlier to MAKE SURE that someone would be there to check us in. HOWEVER upon arrival, waited OUTSIDE for 10 minutes after calling the number and ringing the doorbell. We were answered NOT by an employee or manager, but by a RANDO GUEST staying there. Facility was SKETCHY AF..narrow hallway, DARK, smoky! The Random Guest let us in, however one of us stayed near the doorway because we felt UNSAFE. NEVER found the DESK OR MANAGER. LEFT to find accommodation ELSEWHERE!

• Australia, Male, 41+
21st May 2017
4.9

In the eighties I lived in squats, this place reminded me I those times although the squats were a bit cleaner than this.

• England, Male, 25-30
13th May 2017
3.4

No locks at all on the rooms and a simple code to get into the building. No doors on the common rooms and it's freezing all over the hostel. Faulty oven and hob, where guests have to turn it on and then off at the circuit breaker. I had clothes lost/stolen after I was told I could use the dryer, and the staff wasn't interested in helping. I've not seen them since.

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
12th May 2017

Great atmosphere, people and location. The place itself has improved lots since I first arrived here months ago. They have been doing lots of cleaning and general tidy up. The staff are amazing especially Nick, Dylan, Jess, Yuri etc. Definitely recommend this place if you want somewhere chill and to meet awesome people.

• Canada, Female, 18-24
10th May 2017

I was originally going to stay two nights and almost cancelled on first appearance. I have been here four months now and im sad to say goodbye. The hostel itself is very simple (with limited forks :P ) however the amazing travelers, helpful friendly staff and lovely location (only 20 min bus into city, or 40 min walk if your up for it) make up for it. Its become a lot cleaner and enjoyable to hang out in under new managment, with regular deep cleans (offering work for accom) and pest control.

×