Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

Dirty bathrooms, very noisy as it is a pour party hostel and average breakfast. If you only want to meet people and party all night then this it's the place for you.

There was a friendly/party atmosphere. I don't drink so that atmosphere wasn't for me, I'm sure to most that is a plus! The only two complaints I had were: 1) The noise level...it stays very loud until 1-2 in the morning and the noise level is not policed at all. Because it's an old building walls and ceilings are thin and there are a lot slamming doors/yelling. 2) I stayed at the front of the building - a spotlight shone directly through my window all night making it hard to sleep.

• 20th Aug 2015

One of the best hostels I have ever been to, great for any need: solo traveller or with friends. The onsite bar and club is great and it is the busiest bar in interlaken on the weekends. Great facilities in the hostel; table tennis, pool, foosball, kitchen, bar, free breakfast, plenty of showers and toilets, great reception and handy 24h service incase you leave your room in the night but forget to take your key!! SO good we left for lucerne then came back teh next day. Strongly recommended.

Overall good hostel. I didn't have enough time to go to the bar/nightclub there but quite liked that it was there.

Please put one chair in the bunk rooms so people sleeping on the top bunk can have some place to sit while dressing. Sitting on someone else bed was not always the best option.

• 11th Aug 2015

Loved it! Met some great people.

• 8th Aug 2015

Lovely hostel with a good atmosphere! find it slightly annoying that at 10pm everyone is dragged down into their 'club' where you have to shout at people instead of just normal socialising upstairs! i understand it is to reduce noise levels but the atmosphere in the club felt awkward and was never that much of a party!

the website said that you can check in 3 pm but staff told me 4 pm

There is no free locker in the room nor in the hostel. It was as if we just pay for a bed for a night because there are only beds in the room. The outlook of the hostel is good, but the facilities inside, the cleanliness of the washroom, are lower than my expectation or average 80%-rating-hostels. A Korean Girl in my room turned on the flashing light of her mobile phone until 2am and I was awakened by her early at 6am. The room is next to the washroom, it is easily awakened by others too.

Considering that this is a $30 per night hostel in Switzerland, not a $6 per night hostel in Cambodia, there needs to be air conditioning during the summer. I realize that this is only a problem in Interlaken maybe 2 months per year, but trying to sleep was miserable (if sober). Everything else about this hostel is top notch. Helpful staff, great facilities, fun club in the basement.

• 4th Aug 2015

Balmers has a fun set-up for the typical backpacker. Small rooms, basic facilities but lots of opportunities to meet and mingle with other travellers in the fun bar and restaurant. Unfortunately the place seems mostly booked out with package-tour travellers who come in huge groups and tend to stick together rather than mingle. Oh and if you're a solo traveller, don't bother upgrading to a private room. You still bet all the noise and stuffy rooms but for a much higher price. Not worth it.

• 3rd Aug 2015

I really enjoyed my week at balmers. Met heaps of great people. Big thumbs up to the staff!!! Super friendly and helpful even with annoying questions. Hammock room is good for the price especially in Switzerland. Only down side was the showers and being only 1 toilet for the whole floor so it got a bit gross by the end of the night. I'd stay here again. Interlaken is outdoor paradise!!

breakfast from plastic cutlery and crockery just didn't seem to be up to it.

• 31st Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

We did not like our stay there. Thank goodness it was only one night. Worst stay during our Euro trip. Wanted to sleep in early to catch train next day but noise came from all sides of the walls, upstairs and downstairs and from outside as well because of the club music nearby. Walls are too thin, floors are creaky, too crowded; didn't feel clean and secure. Did not sleep until 2am. Hated the experience there. The reception said it's a hostel and it's old so I guess that's what you get.

• 29th Jul 2015

Great fun hostel. No lockers in rooms but you feel safe. Very good staff who are willing to help. Free breakfast is nice. Good number of facilities. I liked it. Met. Tons of fun people there.

• 29th Jul 2015

We loved our stay at Balmers while visiting the beautiful Interlaken. It was a nice place to come home to after a long day of outdoor activities- BOGO happy hour beers, plenty of space for social gathering, and a friendly staff made for a pleasant experience. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, and the staff was very good about staying quiet "after hours" so people could get a good night's rest. Overall a stellar experience, will recommend to all of our friends! You get your money's worth!

• 28th Jul 2015

I think I had heard such great things about this hostel andy previous hostels have been great that I was expecting more. I had HORRIBLE roommates so it made the experience not very good, which I know isn't the hostels fault. Overall it wasn't the best experience but it could have been worse.

so sorry to hear you had Horrible room mates.....I wish every traveller was nice, friendly and respectful! Shame that your review is poor due to your experience with them..

Great place to stay. Very helpful staff. Clean facilities

The place has a great set up with lots of communal areas to meet and mingle with fellow travelers. It doesn't quite work though as the main clientele are young top deck guests and the bar is overpriced so very few people ate or drunk there. if you are 18-25 and looking to party every night & don't need a good nights sleep, stay here you'll love it. If you're 25+ and wanting to spend days being active enjoying the outdoors and have a few drinks in the evenings then maybe look elsewhere.

• 27th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

Loved my stay at Balmers! It's a big hostel, with its own outdoor bar and club on site. Good location in Interlaken, and you could easily book activities through the front desk. The hammock room was a definite plus! Although the bathroom facilities could have been a little bit better, it wasn't a huge drawback. Would definitely stay here again if I ever go back to Interlaken.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7