Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

Balmers is an amazing place for people who want to go on outdoor adventures! The place is incredibly fun, and buses come every morning to take you on any kind of adrenaline-fueled activity you could dream up in the beautiful Swiss alps. It also helps that the Balmer's bar is the most popular in town, and you'll meet cool locals in addition to other backpackers. Highly recommended!

• 11th Apr 2014

Very pleasant stay at Balmers, lovely staff, good location, great facilities. They even have a beergarden and an underground disco. Mixed group of guests from all over the world. Just the perfect backpackers :)

Thank you for the great review! We hope to welcome you back on another occasion-

Possibly the cheapest hostel in all of Switzerland, and a great place to stay. I was there in march during the off season, so not that many guests.

My stay there was great. My only complaints were that the bathroom was right by my door and I had to walk through it to get downstairs. Additionally, you had to pay for lockers but they had a variety of sizes and you can split it between people. Other than that, this was an amazing hostel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Even in off season, it was an amazing place to stay. Full of activities and events to keep any and all desires at bay. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. For example, I got back from the mountain too late, and the rental place was closed. My train was in the morning before the store re-opened. They allowed me to store the gear overnight, and they turned it in the following day. In the basement they have a club, but i couldn't hear it from my room. Great place!

Happy we could help you out! :-) have a great day!

Lovely, quaint hostel that provides services that are a cross between a hostel and a hotel. The walk was longer than expected from the train station, but once we found it, we were glad we had chosen to stay here! Appreciated the bus pass and free cold breakfast, as well as the full kitchen.

Happy to hear you had a good time here, we hope to welcome you back on another occasion!

I heard great things from friends about Balmers, but I didn't have such a great experience. I think this hostel shines at certain times, specifically when it's busy. I stayed here on a night when the hostel had been booked by a huge group of Korean travelers and hardly anyone else, so it was hard to meet anyone. The staff were friendly enough on arrival. I was really unimpressed by the quality of the rooms and facilities. Only the bare minimum in the rooms (no lockers, few outlets).

good atmosphere, comon kitchen for cooking, bars after hours, friendly staff. COOP supermarket just 5 mins walk away. From Interlaken OST station, its about 5 to 10mins bus ride away ( bus 105 --Hotel Sonnel station - if not mistaken ), so the location is not really central, but I suppose its ok given that Interlaken is really a small town. This hostel is suited to young backpackers only - small room, very small bathrooms, no elevator and the floorboards are noisy plus the walls are thin.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Malaysia

Nice hostel. Great kitchen. Interlaken is a nice town to visit.

My favourite hostel during my Europe trip, comfy, good kitchen, good staff, good location. The ski resorts are very close and easy to access as are many other activities!

Thanks for the great review!!¨We hope to welcome you back!

This hostel's staffs are very kindly. The room is very clean and warm. But the shower facility was worst ever i've been. It is not good for women. The location was very good! And they gave to me the transport card, so i used the bus for free.

First I booked a single which was given away to someone else. So, they put me in a quad by myself. The room did not look like it had been cleaned. Beds were clearly slept in and there was still trash in the trashcan. I found a tick by the sink and the next day combed a tick out of my hair! It was also very loud in the hostel and my room was right above the club connected to the hostel. So, very good if you want to party all night. I was just expecting better.

• 1st Jan 2014

We thank you for your comments, however we do wish that you had come down to reception immediately after checking into your room to tell us it had not been made. We very busy over New Year and obviously missed a room.We would have either changed your room or cleaned it immediately. Regardless of a single room or a quad room you would have been by your self, so not sure if you had preferred being in a dormitory? We have checked thoroughly for any insects and have not found any in the room.

The showers need to be fixed, the water doesn't stay on long enough and the metal drip tray things are disgusting. Also there is a need for more powerpoints in the dorms, one is no where near enough. Also how can people be told to quieten down at 10pm in the common room when you have a club going all night? Seriously WTF?

• 30th Dec 2013

Nice atmosphere. feel like home very closed to the station for going to Grindelwald

Lockers are paid by every 6 hours, or 24 or more. Expect to spend at least 10 francs on a locker for one night two full days. They are also outside Do not expect a full night sleep between the bar, early risers for the mountain, flimsy walls and lack of insulation you can hear absolutely everything including moaning next door. Wifi only works in the main building which closes at 9. Good for tours but prices seem hefty, talk to outdoor interlakin directly, they're great. Awesome location.

• 27th Dec 2013

Ohh the lovely atmosphere, loved it ! Thank you for the wonderful stay and would love to come again! Good job people!

• 24th Dec 2013
  • Malaysia

Staff were great, especially Marcus. Cant wait to go back.

• 18th Nov 2013

I wish the hostel had night lights and more plugs to charge my phone and stuff. Otherwise it was pretty standard, clean rooms and showers, nice common's area. Ok breakfast. But very nice staff and great location!

Some staff were really hospitible, some must not have been given much love from their parents as kids...

• 14th Nov 2013

My friends and I had an excellent experience at Balmers. Great staff, location, facilities, and the people staying there were all friendly and fun. Really chill environment for young people and backpackers. They offered discounts and helpful tips for all the adventurous things to do in Interlaken - which was very appreciated. BRING EAR PLUGS! Not a place for families.

• 9th Nov 2013