Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

This hostel is not at all clean, family friendly and safe. I would not recommend staying for anyone except for teenagers.

• 9th Aug 2014

The cleanliness in toilets and showers was very poor. Due to the proximity of the hostel bar with the rooms, the nights were very loud and noisy with people drinking and making noise. I will not recommend this hostel to anyone who would like to have a peaceful night of sleep after having an entire day of sight seeing around Interlaken.

I enjoyed Balmers, but I was dismayed to hear from unhappy staff that the new management has a different philosophy from Mr. B. and are more interested in personal profit than in service to guests. Staff have been cut, leaving remaining staff overworked. They told me that Mr. B. was more involved with the staff and better understood how the hostel worked. Apparently, new management is 'less connected' to staff. Several told me that they're leaving. It doesn't sound good for the future.

• 7th Aug 2014

A far from the train, but has a wonderful atmosphere.

They had no elevators, lack of lights, and shared bathroom. Before booking the Deluxe 3 Bed Apartment we had confirmed that this a private room and bathroom but when we got there the bathroom was shared. The AC and/or fan wasn't working. The breakfast was worst of all kinds. The night and day staff was not at all friendly and helpful.

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank you for the comments however we do not advertise anywhere that we have private ensuite bathrooms, we are a youth backpackers hostel and most of our rooms are shared dormitories with a few private rooms for groups who wish to have more privacy. We wish you happy travels.

The showers were very dirty and disgusting to use, there were no soap to wash your hands in the toilets, the kitchen was dirty; the only lockers available you had to pay (7 CHF for 24hs use - all this just to leave one small bag!). I wouldn't recommend this hostel for anyone; pay a little more and stay somewhere else!

We are sorry you are obviously not happy with your stay. Hostel life is not for every one. Our staff clean the bathrooms and kitchen twice a day but in peak season these can get used quite alot by our guests who have different cultures and habits. We will look into increasing the cleaning shifts for these times. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels,

My favorite hostel of my time abroad! The staff was friendly, the facilities were nice, and the location was exactly what we were looking for! Would love to come back again in the winter!

I have always been booking hostels through this website, and most hostels seemed fairly rated on the web. However, Balmers Hostel was FAR WORSE that it is rated. First, the the male staff at night was terrible. As I am Asian, I could see that he was annoyed by many Asians in the hostel. He was not friendly AT ALL. Also, the hostel needs some renovation. The shower room and bathroom are not that clean and it's inconvenient. Location was not bad, since it takes 10~15 minutes from main station.

Booked in for 4 nights after a recommendation from people.who had stayed in the past. The staff were friendly. Rooms were what you expect in a hostel and average shower facilities but still managable. The main problem with the hostel was lack of atmosphere. Place was full.of Koreans and Korean families who don't talk and leave mess in the kitchen. Good location though.

Great hostel. They provide maps and good recommendations as well as reservations for Outdoor Interlaken, which I further recommend as a provider of some great action activities that are definitely worth doing in Interlaken.

The hostel is very nice.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Spain

We loved it.

• 1st Aug 2014

Happy to hear you loved it !!

It is bit far from the ost or west station but they give you free bus tickets! The shower booths are bit uncomfortable to use but still rooms were really clean and staffs were all friendly! Nice kitchen but they didnt have basic stuffs like oil or salt, etc :( computers are not free... Breakfast was 'ok' too many koreans though!

I had a great stay at Balmers! This hostel has a great atmosphere with a good happy hour (2 for 1) and a club downstairs! Plenty of other good facilities like a ping pong table, pool and hot spa at the tent village and a kitchen (although the kitchen was a bit dirty..). Rooms were average but it didnt bother me at all, plenty of power points and shared bathroom had good pressure and the hot water worked fine. I would definitely stay again!

Large hostel with many different common areas including kitchen, hammocks, bar, lounge area. Some staff are very helpful and great with advice, a small few are less helpful. Main downside is no light or PowerPoint near your bed, and terrible showers which is sad if you've been hiking in the rain or rafting/canyoning in cold water to not have a hot shower when you get home. Handy that you can book all activities at reception. Bar has happy hour and also offers cheap food. Bar staff are great!!

이곳 샤워 시설이 정말 열악해요. 일반 적인 샤워실이 아니라 간이 샤워실이 설치 되 있는데 배수가 잘 안되서 씻기 싫어지는 그런 시설 이었어요.

There's a bar downstairs that plays music all night that you can definitely hear in all the rooms, so bring ear plugs if you're not planning on being downstairs. The staff was great! They always helped us with whatever we needed. There's a good kitchen and big refrigerators. Lot's of good hang out rooms to meet people. No lockers but locks on every door. Balmers tent village is down the street, also a good hang out spot and there's a hot tub.

Balmers was great. The kitchen is basic (hotplates, no oils / spices provided). The hostel has a club in the basement that is live on the right nights. Friendly staff, worn in pool / ping-pong tables, and nice outdoor spaces to relax made this a great stay. Great vibe, good crowd staying at the hostel. The hostel offers access to many activities (i.e. skydiving, white water rafting) which are all very expensive.

Loved the Hostel, only complaint is the bike storage stated in the description is just an outdoors bike rack.

Noisy but great hostel. Cool atmosphere.

• 26th Jul 2014