Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

Hostel is pretty nice but not a great value for your money. Breakfast was not good

The kitchen was not clean. The hostel staff should check the kitchen from time to time to make sure the kitchen is always clean. Otherwise, it will be very hard for the hostel to make it clean because almost all guests seem to be university students.

• 12th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

Thank you for the review, our night staff clean the guest kitchen thouroughly in the evenings when there is noone using it, during the day the guests are expected to clean up after themselves....it is a shame for others when not all guests help out.

A very cool hostel has everything thing you need there and the staff were very helpful when booking activities to do during the day, would recommend this hostel!

Great place, great facilities and atmosphere. Only downsides are kitchen can get crowded and there should be lockers in the room. I had to carry my passport around the whole time as I didn't want to have to pay per hour to lock it up. But it was fine as interlaken feels very safe. Other than that awesome place.

• 10th Aug 2014

Had a fantastic time at Balmers. Easy to take the bus from there!

Happy to hear you had a great time at Balmers !!!

Stayed in double room, without locker and hanger. Shared bathroom. Shower too small and sometime hot water is not available. Kitchen is to small, especially when many guests cooking in the same time and also lack of cutlery, some stoves did not work, so we had to queue up for cooking. Location is quite far from Interlaken Ost. Free breakfast but very BASIC, only 1 kind of bread, corn flake and milk, no oats, coffee/tea. Luggage storage is available but NOT FREE, price depend on storage size.

한국사람 엄청 많고 시끄러워요. 조용한 여행하고 싶다면 비추

This hostel is not at all clean, family friendly and safe. I would not recommend staying for anyone except for teenagers.

• 9th Aug 2014

The cleanliness in toilets and showers was very poor. Due to the proximity of the hostel bar with the rooms, the nights were very loud and noisy with people drinking and making noise. I will not recommend this hostel to anyone who would like to have a peaceful night of sleep after having an entire day of sight seeing around Interlaken.

I enjoyed Balmers, but I was dismayed to hear from unhappy staff that the new management has a different philosophy from Mr. B. and are more interested in personal profit than in service to guests. Staff have been cut, leaving remaining staff overworked. They told me that Mr. B. was more involved with the staff and better understood how the hostel worked. Apparently, new management is 'less connected' to staff. Several told me that they're leaving. It doesn't sound good for the future.

• 7th Aug 2014

A far from the train, but has a wonderful atmosphere.

They had no elevators, lack of lights, and shared bathroom. Before booking the Deluxe 3 Bed Apartment we had confirmed that this a private room and bathroom but when we got there the bathroom was shared. The AC and/or fan wasn't working. The breakfast was worst of all kinds. The night and day staff was not at all friendly and helpful.

• 6th Aug 2014

Thank you for the comments however we do not advertise anywhere that we have private ensuite bathrooms, we are a youth backpackers hostel and most of our rooms are shared dormitories with a few private rooms for groups who wish to have more privacy. We wish you happy travels.

The showers were very dirty and disgusting to use, there were no soap to wash your hands in the toilets, the kitchen was dirty; the only lockers available you had to pay (7 CHF for 24hs use - all this just to leave one small bag!). I wouldn't recommend this hostel for anyone; pay a little more and stay somewhere else!

We are sorry you are obviously not happy with your stay. Hostel life is not for every one. Our staff clean the bathrooms and kitchen twice a day but in peak season these can get used quite alot by our guests who have different cultures and habits. We will look into increasing the cleaning shifts for these times. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels,

My favorite hostel of my time abroad! The staff was friendly, the facilities were nice, and the location was exactly what we were looking for! Would love to come back again in the winter!

I have always been booking hostels through this website, and most hostels seemed fairly rated on the web. However, Balmers Hostel was FAR WORSE that it is rated. First, the the male staff at night was terrible. As I am Asian, I could see that he was annoyed by many Asians in the hostel. He was not friendly AT ALL. Also, the hostel needs some renovation. The shower room and bathroom are not that clean and it's inconvenient. Location was not bad, since it takes 10~15 minutes from main station.

We are sorry to hear you had problems checkin in, please in future could you ask for a manager from reception so we may help solve any problems? It would avoid any dissapoinment on your part and we could rectify any issues.Thank you

Booked in for 4 nights after a recommendation from people.who had stayed in the past. The staff were friendly. Rooms were what you expect in a hostel and average shower facilities but still managable. The main problem with the hostel was lack of atmosphere. Place was full.of Koreans and Korean families who don't talk and leave mess in the kitchen. Good location though.

Great hostel. They provide maps and good recommendations as well as reservations for Outdoor Interlaken, which I further recommend as a provider of some great action activities that are definitely worth doing in Interlaken.

The hostel is very nice.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Spain

We loved it.

• 1st Aug 2014

Happy to hear you loved it !!

It is bit far from the ost or west station but they give you free bus tickets! The shower booths are bit uncomfortable to use but still rooms were really clean and staffs were all friendly! Nice kitchen but they didnt have basic stuffs like oil or salt, etc :( computers are not free... Breakfast was 'ok' too many koreans though!