Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

Great location near bars and restaurants and across the road from buses to the alps. Rooms are large and comfortable. Great bar to party at at night. Guest kitchen to cook your own food. Game room. Fun place, we highly recommend it!

The atmosphere is really good that ppl chatting outside the building or in the garden. There were lots of common space to share. The breakfast is bread, cheese, jam,coffee and tea. I just didnt enjoy the shower rooms that it's like taking showers in the corridor and they are not super clean to me.

It’s like a party hostel around 10pm onward and loud music heard from the rooms nearer to the bar just outside. However, I had quiet roommates and had a good stay there. Hygiene facilities were lacking. However, they have got free breakfast (make sure you come down early as it will run out towards 9.30am). The receptionists were really nice. Wifi connection was good! Location wise - could improve on the directions given online.

Awesome staff - you can book all your activities through them. Cool club within the hostel which gets pretty poppin at night. I wish the hostel arranged more events to get to know people, but if you are outgoing, that will not be a problem at all. Great facilities in terms of public computers, showers, etc. I was sad I had to leave, but will def be back.

Everything necessary was clean & well organized. As advertised, this place has a strong hippie-backpacker vibe & I had the impression that things could get rowdy, but all was relatively calm on the night I stayed. The staff are capable & friendly.

Awesome staff and great facilities. Couldn't have asked for much more than what we got. No complaints.

Great big busy hostel! Room was big, beds were comfy, wifi was great throughout entire hostel. The only thing lacking was the shower facility, it's a little cubical in the hall. Bar was a great addition with a nice vibe. Breakfast was pretty good.

Enjoyed most of our time here, but the staff was very unhelpful when we were looking for mid-budget activities in the area.

It was quite a walk from the train station to the hostel, because of our luggage. There should have been instructions on how to take a bus there. Otherwise, location was good, there are food around the area, an atm and a supermarket. Some of the staff were very helpful and knowledgable, but they seemed overwhelmed with the number of people asking for information. We had to wait really long for engraving and it would have been nice to offer it to be ready the next day instead of an hour later.

Pretty good, bad roommates

• 29th May 2014

Very fun Hostel, ability to meet alot of great people and share great memories. Hostel is located in a great place.

We enjoyed our stay at Balmers. Our rooms were clean and felt safe leaving our belongings there for the day while we were out. No in room lockers was a bummer but didn't feel the need. Great atmosphere! Showers were not ideal but overall it was a good stay.

The underground club is closed on Sunday and Monday nights.. There are 2 bathrooms and 2 showers/floor for 16 people. Breakfast was free and consisted of toast, cheese, and cereal (and instant coffee mix). The staff was hit or miss. The original girl at the front desk was very helpful and kind. When they switched shifts the girl was snappy and not helpful. They charge you 5 euro to wash your clothes, 5 to dry, 2 for detergent, 2 for a towel, and charge for lockers. Guy in our group got bed bugs.

• 25th May 2014

The hostel was a little old, but I really liked my staying there. The staffs were extremely helpful!! I've never seen staffs like them during my entire trip. And the location was pretty nice as well. Just a few stations from the main train station and the hostel was really close from the metro. And even the guests were very nice too. Thank you! I'd definitely stay there agian.

Fun place to stay. Good vibes. Be prepared to spend lots of money on the outdoor activities.

This would be a great place if you wanted to stay up late and party. The rooms were small and we had to keep the window open to stay cool. We heard people from the food place next door and from the basement bar all night. The quiet by 10 pm rule was not enforced. We forgot to lock our door one night and had a loud group of kids barge in because they thought it was the bathroom. The staff was helpful and the breakfast was simple but good. Pretty clean but the showers were small and awkward.

Great staff who are very good at what they do.the facilities are a bit ordinary but it's a good way to save some money in an expensive area.They are very strict on keeping quiet outside at night,basically forcing you down into their dingy little nightclub rather than enjoying a drink outside.

• 19th May 2014

Thanks for the great review, happy to hear you had a good time at Balmers! Unfortunately being in a residential area we have to enforce the local Law as well as keep the neighbours happy by keeping the noise levels down after 22.00 pm :-)

I had such a great stay at Balmer's!! The rooms were clean, and I felt very safe in the hostel and the surrounding area. Everything is very close, and Balmer's is set in a great location within the town. The only thing I did not like was that there were not lockers in the rooms. Also, the receptionists weren't particularly kind, but they were very helpful. I 100% recommend Balmer's to anyone staying in Interlaken!

Happy to hear you had GREAT stay!!

Great spot and hostel! Wish you didn't have to pay for lockers

I really liked the atmosphere at Balmers, the open areas make it easy to talk to other travellers. The swiss cheese at the breakfast was SO nice! And the receptionists have been very helpful. Good wifi connection. Would recommend this hostel to any backpacker.