Balmers Herberge Reviews

Hauptstrasse 23-25, 3800 Interlaken, Interlaken, Switzerland

A classic hostel that lives up to its reputation. Very fun atmosphere and a great base for many Switzerland adventures. It's a little expensive but everything in Switzerland is.

Very few bathrooms otherwise it was awesome!

• 18th Sep 2015

Very cute and fun hostel but the staff was very unfriendly and unhelpful with finding things to do.

• 18th Sep 2015

Personally I don't really understand why this place had so many fantastic reviews. Hated the showers, it was cold while I was there and one of the days I went canyoning, all I wanted was a hot shower and the water was freezing (it often was!) just a very annoying set up for the bathrooms. The "nightclub" was full of 18 years olds and often closed very early. I'm sure it was because it was the end of the summer season, but eh.. The hostel was ok. Wouldn't really recommend.

DISCLAIMER: I stayed during the off season Overall, the hostel was fine, but there were several things that kept happening that made the overall experience not ideal: No Atmosphere I'm sure it's fun during peak season, but not the case in the off season. Several listed facilities were closed (e.g. the hot tub, relaxation room, etc) Staff rather unhelpful - One dude recommended a restaurant he never went to. At least be discrete about the collusion lol

Thank you so much for your review, it's true that we are in our off season now so we may not have had as many people staying here but the atmosphere is generally created by the guests themselves too :-) The hot tub had been cleaned and takes a day to heat up, unfortunately it happened during your stay , we are sorry you didnt get to enjoy that. We hope you liked Interlaken regardless :-)

Nice place within easy walking distance to bars, restaurants. Sociable atmosphere. Hot powerful showers were a bonus. Could do with more power sockets in the dorms.

Overall, pretty great.

• 11th Sep 2015

Don't stay here on a weekend if sleep is something you intend to do. I love a social hostel, who doesn't, but if a hostel is social, they must make sure that they do something to address the noise. The walls are paper thin--I could hear snoring from four different rooms when using the shared bathrooms--the bass from the "club" downstairs couldn't be blocked out no matter my efforts. When people awoke at 7am to start outdoor activities day, that again woke me up. I'm not even a light sleeper.

Hello and thank you for your review, you are right we are a party hostel and our building in in an old wooden chalet which is typical Swiss style, and thats why we offer FREE ear plugs at reception. Sorry to hear your room mates woke you up super early.....unfortunately we cant be held responsible for that.

Great place! It's probably the best bang for your buck in the Interlaken area - seemed like most of the other hotels were at least $200/night when I was there in early September 2015. Also, the club attached to Balmers was a blast (closed on Sunday's though).

• 5th Sep 2015

Thanks for the review! Wishing you safe travels!

Was fun on the weekend having the club downstairs. Although that's not a great reason to stay in Switzerland. Staff weren't that friendly. Layout of the buildings was pretty bad. Would be very cold walking outside to get to the bathroom in the Winter.

Very nice staff. Easy to book any activity that you wanna do. Nice hostel to meet people and have a good time. Bedrooms are a nice size but outlets don't work well. Bathrooms/ showers are disgusting.

Wonderful hostel- easy to meet friends, extremely helpful staff! Only 15 min walk from both train stations. Very clean, good breakfast.

I stayed in the hammock room for 2 nights, which was awesome. Really affordable, great location and staff were really nice. This is one of my favourite hostels. Only downside of the hammock room is that there isn't any lockers and people seemed confused that after 8pm this room switched from a hangout room to a place where people were sleeping, so we had a few visitors. Definitely stay here though, loved it!!

Stay in the 5 franc hammock room!!! Save a ton of money and they will give you a blanket to stay warm! The atmosphere is pretty awesome with the club downstairs. Easy to meet people, go to lauterbrennen when you're their!!

Dirty bathrooms, very noisy as it is a pour party hostel and average breakfast. If you only want to meet people and party all night then this it's the place for you.

My stay at Balmers was great. The rooms were surprisingly cozy compared to other hostels I stayed in. Location was good, although Interlaken is not a huge town so everything was within walking distance. The kebab restaurant next door was a plus.

• 25th Aug 2015

It had the makings of being the perfect place with nice common areas & setups. But besides the friendly American that hosts the breaky + bar outside the staff need to show some enthusiasm. There is not much vibe outside & no one enticing you with the nights/ events they run. We waited 5 hours to check-in because we were told that our room was being cleaned. After returning to check-in & made our way to the room, the floor in our room was dirty with hair etc. showers/toilets also need more upkeep

There was a friendly/party atmosphere. I don't drink so that atmosphere wasn't for me, I'm sure to most that is a plus! The only two complaints I had were: 1) The noise level...it stays very loud until 1-2 in the morning and the noise level is not policed at all. Because it's an old building walls and ceilings are thin and there are a lot slamming doors/yelling. 2) I stayed at the front of the building - a spotlight shone directly through my window all night making it hard to sleep.

• 20th Aug 2015

Conveniently located, great value for money and extremely friendly and helpful staff.

• 16th Aug 2015
  • India

One of the best hostels I have ever been to, great for any need: solo traveller or with friends. The onsite bar and club is great and it is the busiest bar in interlaken on the weekends. Great facilities in the hostel; table tennis, pool, foosball, kitchen, bar, free breakfast, plenty of showers and toilets, great reception and handy 24h service incase you leave your room in the night but forget to take your key!! SO good we left for lucerne then came back teh next day. Strongly recommended.