Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

I had an amazing time at Bamber House, the staff was very helpful and welcoming. The dorms werent the cheapest but it was alright. It maybe was not the cleanest place but they sure put some effort into it so it was not too bad. The atmosphere was great, people were just wonderful!

• 19th Nov 2014

I had the best time at Bamber House!! I felt at home and so comfortable the entire time :) The house is very unique and beautiful, with a big cozy commonroom. The staff, especially the Bamber family, were so welcoming and helped me out with any questions I had. Transportation into the city/airport is close by too. I would recommend Bamber House to everyone!! I'll definitely be back!! :)

• 7th Nov 2014

Nice place, outside the city, about a 15 min walk to the supermarket and a lovely stroll to Mt Eden. Staff was very nice and helpful - thank again for the good advice! Room, showers and toilets are very clean - the kitchen was cleaned daily but lots of people staying at the hostel didn't care and left a mess. Thank you for having us!

I stayed here for 2 nights in a twin room. The room was separate from the rest of the house in it's own little hut. It was very clean and I had a great stay there. The staff are nice and there is a good mix of people passing through and people who must stay in the house slightly more long term. The mix of people give Bamber House a homely and friendly atmosphere, we even did a group trip to the pub! I would definitely stay again.

Great location outside of the city and close enough to all the amenities you would require. Friendly and knowledgable staff

Best Place to stay if you just arrived in Auckland. Silent at night.

I have stayed and enjoyed Bamber House in the past but this time I think it was overcrowded with too many young partyers. In the morning the kitchen was so filthy it was impossible to cook.It was so overcrowded in the evenings that cooking dinner was not an option so I ended up spending money eating out. I shared a room with a guy who snored all night so ended up on the couch. Not the hostel's fault maybe I have outgrown my backpackers days.

• 23rd Oct 2014

The kitchen does tend to get a bit crowded around 7pm but you'll find if you cook dinner before or after this rush at 7 then the crowds aren't a problem. Sorry we can't control the sleeping habits of our guests, one risk of sleeping in a hostel and sharing a room with other people is that they will snore.

nice stay for 2 days in a private dorm. helpful staff and the location is perfect if you don't want to be right in the centre.

• 16th Oct 2014

An activity in the hostel might make it easier to get to know the other people in the hostel.

At Bamber House we try to put on 3 to 4 activities during the week including trivia nights, hostel meals, poker, movie nights etc... However, during the weekend we usually let our guests do their own thing. Sorry if you weren't around to participate in our weekly activities but we're glad you enjoyed your stay!

Definitely the best hostel I have been in. Excellent atmosphere, very cozy rooms, there's no lack of space, the staff is very friendly, they would help you on anything you need. Hot water constantly for shower, and good pressure of it too. It's clean and the beds really comfortable. Also free wi-fi. I couldn't ask for more. I absolutely recommend it!

• 21st Sep 2014
  • Argentina

Really enjoyed my stay at Bamberg House! Good cummunity Rooms and activities. Overall, nothing to complain about. Good equipment in the kitchen aswell. 200mb free wifi/day and the reception staff was nice at any time. For me the best Hostel in Auckland.

• 20th Sep 2014

Really nice time passed here ! Rebecca helped me a lot to find car and accomodations for my trip.

• 16th Sep 2014

Felt welcome and enjoyed the stay-thanks. Will stay again for sure. The only thing I would add to the private rooms is a radio- it would be nice to come home and be able to put the radio on- well a tv would be even better of course. Just a thought

• 16th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Super cute little hostel, seems to be run by a family. Security is a little iffy on the private ensuites since they're separated from the main house and only held with a glass door, but they do offer to hold anything you like at the front desk. If they put safes in the rooms I'd feel even better. They're SO friendly. The private ensuites are really wonderful, they feel like a real home, and they're very isolated from noise and traffic which I loved. I'd stay here again anytime.

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. These ranch slider doors are common in residential homes, in fact my family has one in our own home located right next to the hostel. The only theft we've had in the ensuite cabins was when these doors were left wide open. Mt Eden is considered a safe residential area but we always recommend to all our guests that they take extra care while traveling. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Unfortunately we had a long stay next to our room and they woke up at 5 in the night to start chatting away. Also their box with stuff was in front of our door to the balcony. First of all a trap in case of a real fire, secondly they were rambling around in it about 7 in the morning. Told them to do it in their room, which earned me strange looks.

We're sorry you had this experience, we wish you'd told us about it so we could have done something, we think it was a group we had staying that also had a balcony room and lots of gear. We don't take this type of booking, it was booked several months ago by a manger who did not follow our standard procedures.

I chose Bamber because of its high rating and great price, and it delivered in full. Very comfy, like-home atmosphere. Friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommended

• 27th Aug 2014

This hostel is well located in a pleasant suburb close to the city centre. It is family run and staff and very helpful and friendly. Great place for travellers to New Zealand. Big communal rooms for meeting other travellers

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Thanks for the great review, we hope to see you again soon!

Good off road parking.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Amazing hostel at Mount Eden area. Close to city center but in a quite area, cozy hostel. Only complaint would be about cold room. Our heater wasn't working properly (or at all) and everybody who would come to stay in the room would wear extra clothes to sleep. Quite attentive staff and great common areas

Thanks for the great review! Sorry to hear about the heater, next time just tell us and we'll do our best to replace the heater as soon as possible. We also have extra blankets available on request.

Nice team , very friendly. It s a good place.