Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

Big house, nice staff and clean rooms. Bus just 2min walking distance, free internet which is huge and an awesome common area. Recommend it.

• 24th Aug 2015
  • Zimbabwe

I have been 3 times at Bamber House during my stay in New Zealand the past 5 months and i will always come back to this nice house. The manager was always helpful and very kind, people are open and easy talking to. Kitchen and bathrooms are clean, i loved the fireplace in the huge living room. Mount Eden is not even 20min walking distance and the area itself is clean, green and save. Thanks for making me feeling home and welcome at any time. Will be back soon.

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Finland

Pros: Nice staff. Large common rooms and lots of parking. Great deck and big kitchen. Bathrooms were nice. We had a private room that opened to the deck. Cons: In our room, the door to the outside was not very secure. Someone could easily break in. Overall, I would recommend.

Not at city centre but right at the foot old Mt Eden, in a quiet and clean neighbourhood.

We have stayed at Bamber house in the past when on work trips in Auckland. We love it as a well managed and homely place that is centrally located. The only thing we dislike is the way the large kitchen bench is often dirty. This does affect general hygiene.We thought for the price we paid for a room that we should have been able to use the power outlets more than an hour at a time, especially in winter. Overall we would recommend it as a great place to stay in Akl.

• 30th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

The hostel is definitely decent. Staff were very friendly, we were within walking distance of a bunch of cool restaurants and bars, and the place felt very secure. This place seems to be a spot where a lot of long term residents stay, so it really felt like we were staying with a big family. Everyone was lounging in the tv room together, playing games and having fun. Kitchen was great, rooms were basic with small lockers and clean.

Beautiful old building, nice rooms. Would certainly stay here again.

Stay at Bamber House for the great atmosphere - it seems to bring out the friendly in everyone and there's plenty of space to mingle (or sit on your own), whether in the dining area or one of the lounges (one with TV, one without). I like the location (walking is 5mins to Mt Eden,10mins to village shops + supermarket, 30mins to city centre - or a 10min easy bus ride) and the fact you can step outside (large deck + small outside space all round the building) and not be hit by city noise.

A key code is required to enter the hostel. I came in and out at various times throughout the day and night during my stay. I never once had to use the key code. I never felt unsafe or in danger but it was unsettling that the front door was never locked.

Facilities are great, but let down by a couple of details. The showers are very well setup with plenty of room, good drying area and hooks for towel and clothes. However, I'm not expecting perfect temperature from a hostel, but these showers actually switch from ice cold to burning hot. At one point I had to jump into the shower curtain to get out of the way when it suddenly became scalding hot. Again, the kitchen has everything you could need, but you have to eat while swatting flies away.

Bathrooms were freezing! Would pay extra to have heaters in the bathroom

• 24th May 2015

We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Previously no one has ever complained about the bathrooms being too cold, but it isn't a normal practise to heat backpacker bathrooms in the middle of winter.

I just wanted to say thank you to Bamber house for the comfortable accommodations during the short duration of my stay. Norman, the manager was very warm, hospitable and kind. He was very helpful with providing information of things to do in Auckland and made stay in Auckland that much more wonderful. The hostel was very clean, it felt more like a home than an actual hostel and I've stayed at many. Thanks again Bamber House for the hospitality and making me feel like I'm at home.

• 2nd May 2015

It's great to hear your enjoyed you stay with us at Bamber House! Our staff try hard to be welcoming and to help give our guests the best advice about activities in Auckland. We're glad you felt and home and we hope you return soon.

Nice private twin room with ensuite. Shower definitely could have done with a scrub. Electric blankets and heaters provided. Laundry facilities available at additional cost. Kitchen was functional but a bit untidy. Wifi is only available in the common lounge and other guests were friendly to converse with and play card games with. Nice, quiet location close enough to everything via transport.

Had a great stay, only left beccause they were full! Free internet is huge in NZ so that was a treat. Location right by Mt. Eden is nice, but I got tired of doing the 30 minute walk into the city center each day. Bathrooms nice and clean, as well as the rooms. People are not super social but if you try people are friendly. Kitchen nice and has tons of spices!

Room was clean, came with a balcony which was pretty cool for a hostel. Really nice living room/chill out areas. Kitchen is big and really well stocked.

Well situated away from the centre of town. Easy access by bus and with the bonus of a free car park. Two different managers while I was there, one helpful, one not so. I had an ensuite in a cabin at the back. Clean and comfortable but safety issue with access. The path to where the units were was never lit and really dark. The cabins are raised on wooden decking with a drop to the ground and a gap bridged by some timber. Very easy to fall. Kitchen often dirty in morning.

Not routinely cleaned during the day, no permanent staff to maintain the place. Not enough space to sit in the lounge. No space to prepare and cook. Too many people and not enough facilities. Our room had two bunk beds and was barely big enough accommodate one.

• 14th Apr 2015

As is usual in most hostels, we clean the entire house in the morning and then give the kitchen a quick clean up in the evening. We take pride in cleanliness and we also have two permanent managers, as well as cleaners, who live on site. We have two lounge rooms with lots of space to relax as well as a large dining room, outdoor seating and a larges garden.

I loved my stay in one of the cabins out the back. Bed was really comfortable, great mattress. Room was quiet and well ventilated - slept really well. Loved the friendly, relaxed atmosphere of the main hostel. Nice leafy suburb and setting. I will definitely come back again! Thank you.

• 3rd Apr 2015

A very nice hostel, clean rooms, comfy beds with good facilities. Away from the city centre but with good transport inks

Great little place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Great staff! Would recommend!