Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

A key code is required to enter the hostel. I came in and out at various times throughout the day and night during my stay. I never once had to use the key code. I never felt unsafe or in danger but it was unsettling that the front door was never locked.

Facilities are great, but let down by a couple of details. The showers are very well setup with plenty of room, good drying area and hooks for towel and clothes. However, I'm not expecting perfect temperature from a hostel, but these showers actually switch from ice cold to burning hot. At one point I had to jump into the shower curtain to get out of the way when it suddenly became scalding hot. Again, the kitchen has everything you could need, but you have to eat while swatting flies away.

Bathrooms were freezing! Would pay extra to have heaters in the bathroom

• 24th May 2015

We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Previously no one has ever complained about the bathrooms being too cold, but it isn't a normal practise to heat backpacker bathrooms in the middle of winter.

I just wanted to say thank you to Bamber house for the comfortable accommodations during the short duration of my stay. Norman, the manager was very warm, hospitable and kind. He was very helpful with providing information of things to do in Auckland and made stay in Auckland that much more wonderful. The hostel was very clean, it felt more like a home than an actual hostel and I've stayed at many. Thanks again Bamber House for the hospitality and making me feel like I'm at home.

• 2nd May 2015

It's great to hear your enjoyed you stay with us at Bamber House! Our staff try hard to be welcoming and to help give our guests the best advice about activities in Auckland. We're glad you felt and home and we hope you return soon.

Nice private twin room with ensuite. Shower definitely could have done with a scrub. Electric blankets and heaters provided. Laundry facilities available at additional cost. Kitchen was functional but a bit untidy. Wifi is only available in the common lounge and other guests were friendly to converse with and play card games with. Nice, quiet location close enough to everything via transport.

Had a great stay, only left beccause they were full! Free internet is huge in NZ so that was a treat. Location right by Mt. Eden is nice, but I got tired of doing the 30 minute walk into the city center each day. Bathrooms nice and clean, as well as the rooms. People are not super social but if you try people are friendly. Kitchen nice and has tons of spices!

Room was clean, came with a balcony which was pretty cool for a hostel. Really nice living room/chill out areas. Kitchen is big and really well stocked.

Well situated away from the centre of town. Easy access by bus and with the bonus of a free car park. Two different managers while I was there, one helpful, one not so. I had an ensuite in a cabin at the back. Clean and comfortable but safety issue with access. The path to where the units were was never lit and really dark. The cabins are raised on wooden decking with a drop to the ground and a gap bridged by some timber. Very easy to fall. Kitchen often dirty in morning.

Not routinely cleaned during the day, no permanent staff to maintain the place. Not enough space to sit in the lounge. No space to prepare and cook. Too many people and not enough facilities. Our room had two bunk beds and was barely big enough accommodate one.

• 14th Apr 2015

As is usual in most hostels, we clean the entire house in the morning and then give the kitchen a quick clean up in the evening. We take pride in cleanliness and we also have two permanent managers, as well as cleaners, who live on site. We have two lounge rooms with lots of space to relax as well as a large dining room, outdoor seating and a larges garden.

I loved my stay in one of the cabins out the back. Bed was really comfortable, great mattress. Room was quiet and well ventilated - slept really well. Loved the friendly, relaxed atmosphere of the main hostel. Nice leafy suburb and setting. I will definitely come back again! Thank you.

• 3rd Apr 2015

A very nice hostel, clean rooms, comfy beds with good facilities. Away from the city centre but with good transport inks

Great little place away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Great staff! Would recommend!

Eventhough it is not situated in the centre, the area is beautiful and there are some nice places to eat nearby. It has a good atmosphere, just like a family in a huge house.

• 11th Mar 2015

The hostel is very nice, stuff is very friendly and helpful. We got to the hostel very late at night ... after midnight... but the key was waiting for us and direction to our room. In the morning stuff helped us check in and out without problems. There is plenty of parking if you have a car. The house in which the hostel is at in nice and pretty. I'd defiantly stay there again if I'm back in town.

We liked it, it was kind of quirky and nice and quiet, which was great for sleeping off jet lag. We only stayed for two nights but would stay there again.

• 5th Mar 2015

2 bed mixed dorm doesn't work. As a female made me uncomfortable ... Particularly the male I shared with but that is no fault of the hostel

Fairly basic hostel. I did enjoy the small room options. It's located close to Mt Eden park and several stores, but it is quite a hike from downtown.

Great stay at Bamber House! Spent 5 days there in a 4 bed room with my boyfriend and that was very nice! People working there are friendly and helpful, bedroom is big enough to have our 4 big bags inside, and are comfortable. Good facilities, useful kitchen and great place outside. Plus very easy to go downtown with the buses, and Mount Eden is really close.

A little further out of the city than intended (the walk home took a bit longer than the 30 mins and uphill) but otherwise fine. Easy parking and close to local restaurants/street shops and Mt Eden. Perfectly silent for a great night's sleep. Would definitely come back again. Thank you 😊

Beautiful building with a homely feel. Facilities, rooms and bedding are kept very clean. A long walk in to town cetre but only a 10 minute bus ride from right outside the door. The view from nearby Mount Eden is a must