Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

A great hostel in Auckland with an amazing staff. Happy to stay there.

Bamber House is pretty awesome. The atmosphere is like a second home and people are very interested in activities. Worth the price, which is a bit more than in the city centre.

• 26th Jan 2016

Jen was welcoming....helpful and friendly..and Kay.I did a course in Mt. Eden for the week, so Bamber suited my accommodation needs. The evening drinking was noisy because of my studying...but appreciated that staff closed that down at 10 p.m.each evening. I realise that most hostel stayers are young people looking for fun. The reason I chose average for atmosphere is purely personal. I was a lot older than most people and felt it.

• 24th Jan 2016
  • New Zealand

Staff were very helpful and friendly. Kay was very good at getting everyone together and created a great atmosphere

Awesome location in the nice district of Mont eden !

• 17th Jan 2016

One of the best hostels I've stayed at in 4 years of backpacking, I only stayed in 3 person room so not sure about the bigger dorms, but the 3 person room felt like a nice bedroom rather than a hostel, place was carpeted and had real beds - not those annoying metal bunk beds. Kitchen had reasonable fridge and storage space, staff were very nice and helpful. Was nice and quiet at night, wasn't a crazy 24-7 boozy party hostel which I was glad to see

The power outlets here are timed, which can be a bit of a bother when trying to charge cell phones/cameras and the power keeps shutting off, but other than that my stay was fabulous! Thank you so much!

Had an awesome stay here. The staff were great, very helpful. I was applying for my IRD number and setting up a bank account and they were able to answer a lot of my questions. The hostel is really chill with great indoor and outdoor spaces to hangout. It's definitely not a party hostel but it's still quite social and a really good place to meet new people. It's a bit far from downtown, but it's still very convenient to get around with buses and it's very close to Mt Eden and places to eat.

Clean hostel with a nice atmosphere away from the party hostels. Easy going staff. Nice place to chill out after a day in the city.

• 4th Jan 2016

Nice enough. Big kitchen, big lounges, comfy beds, and good showers. The lack of toilets was frustrating and the wifi was kind of sketchy. Easy to get to and a medium walk to the center but in a quiet neighborhood.

It was a very nice homey place, more of a B&B feel than a hostel.

Cleanliness was a big issue. Most of the kitchenware and fridges really need to be replaced. Old and grimy. The carpet throughout also made the place feel unclean. The beds were ok but the showers were dirty. The owner came across as unfriendly. The internet was really slow too. Average at best. Nice house and has potential particularly if the owner was a bit more guest friendly and fixed the issues described above.

• 2nd Jan 2016
  • Switzerland

Jenifer, the gate keeper was amazing! Friendly, accommodating and well informed.

Could the owners consider putting a grill on outside of the rooms so occupants could safely keep the windows open, as the smell of peoples' shoes is at times unbearable and we have to sleep in a stuffy room due to the windows that must be closed? The bathroom shower mats: could they be changed more than once daily, please. Some guests do not observe hower etiquette i.e. dry yourself before emerging from the shower to avoid saturating the mat - or else I will just have to bring my own mats :)

• 19th Dec 2015

The hostel is still under construction and hence does not look very clean from outside. It is a little further away from the city center, 30 min by walk or $3.50 by bus which stops right infront of the hostel. The staff is one person who is neither friendly nor unfriendly. Kitchen is organized, but can be a little cleaner. Large common area and so it is nice place to meet people. I would stay here again, hopefully the construction will be over the next time I visit.

I loved Bamber house. I wish I had booked more nights here but alas, they were full up by the time I wanted to extend my stay. The environment is quiet, not super social, but friendly enough if you start up a conversation. It is a bit of a distance from the city center but close to a bus stop and the market for food and anything you forgot to pack. The bathrooms are clean (cleanest I've found!), may get crowded around peak times. If I am back in Auckland there's no question I'd stay again!

• 11th Dec 2015

Small 4 bed dorm always smelled of damp. Duvet cover did not smell fresh. A busy hostel. 1 toilet between 16 people on the ground floor. Damp stain on carpet outside of shower room.

a very nice place to stay, outside of the center, but still in good reach to the center. nice kitchen, living room & terrace.

Lovely staff, lovely people, felt secure, showers were great. Really lovely!

• 18th Nov 2015

Really lovely hostel, nice big kitchen kept very clean, comfy beds, kind and helpful staff. Great atmosphere when we were there and very fair prices. Thirty minute walk from the city but the suburb it is in is really nice. I'd definitely recommend ! :)

« first « Prev 1 2 3