Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

Stay here it's great! It's really clean and I met some awesome people from all over the world. The manager Norman was awesome. Helpful and friendly. And you don't have to pay for towels! Location is good, it's a bus ride to everything. It was easy navigating from there. I'll stay there again when I visit next time.

• 22nd Sep 2015

It was my first time in a backpacker and i really loved it !!! People were awesome staff too :) a lot of food party ! i already miss this atmosphere !!

Really good hostel ! Norman, the manager is a very welcoming guy. The living room was cool, every one can share his experiences with each others. The hostel is quite far from the town center (45 minutes walk) but for those who are lazy you have a bus stop near to the Bamber house :) I will come back in this hostel if I am in Auckland again

• 14th Sep 2015

I had a great stay at the bamber house. I was surprised how comfortable and nice it was. I just wanted to say thanks and to the manager, he was really friendly and helpful.

• 8th Sep 2015

This was a great place to stay. Very quiet location and only a 10 minute bus ride to Auckland Central. I would have liked there to be a study room for those needing to do homework.

• 7th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

I just wanted say thanks for the warm accomodations. I had a very comfortable stay and the staff/management were so friendly and helpful.

• 1st Sep 2015

Big house, nice staff and clean rooms. Bus just 2min walking distance, free internet which is huge and an awesome common area. Recommend it.

• 24th Aug 2015
  • Zimbabwe

I have been 3 times at Bamber House during my stay in New Zealand the past 5 months and i will always come back to this nice house. The manager was always helpful and very kind, people are open and easy talking to. Kitchen and bathrooms are clean, i loved the fireplace in the huge living room. Mount Eden is not even 20min walking distance and the area itself is clean, green and save. Thanks for making me feeling home and welcome at any time. Will be back soon.

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Finland

Pros: Nice staff. Large common rooms and lots of parking. Great deck and big kitchen. Bathrooms were nice. We had a private room that opened to the deck. Cons: In our room, the door to the outside was not very secure. Someone could easily break in. Overall, I would recommend.

Not at city centre but right at the foot old Mt Eden, in a quiet and clean neighbourhood.

We have stayed at Bamber house in the past when on work trips in Auckland. We love it as a well managed and homely place that is centrally located. The only thing we dislike is the way the large kitchen bench is often dirty. This does affect general hygiene.We thought for the price we paid for a room that we should have been able to use the power outlets more than an hour at a time, especially in winter. Overall we would recommend it as a great place to stay in Akl.

• 30th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

The hostel is definitely decent. Staff were very friendly, we were within walking distance of a bunch of cool restaurants and bars, and the place felt very secure. This place seems to be a spot where a lot of long term residents stay, so it really felt like we were staying with a big family. Everyone was lounging in the tv room together, playing games and having fun. Kitchen was great, rooms were basic with small lockers and clean.

Beautiful old building, nice rooms. Would certainly stay here again.

Stay at Bamber House for the great atmosphere - it seems to bring out the friendly in everyone and there's plenty of space to mingle (or sit on your own), whether in the dining area or one of the lounges (one with TV, one without). I like the location (walking is 5mins to Mt Eden,10mins to village shops + supermarket, 30mins to city centre - or a 10min easy bus ride) and the fact you can step outside (large deck + small outside space all round the building) and not be hit by city noise.

I really like this hostel. Especially the location, close to Mount Eden so a bit further out of the city but this was nice as I don't really like central Auckland. Facilities were amazing, showers were great! Didn't seem like a hostel at all. Very French orientated :)

A key code is required to enter the hostel. I came in and out at various times throughout the day and night during my stay. I never once had to use the key code. I never felt unsafe or in danger but it was unsettling that the front door was never locked.

Facilities are great, but let down by a couple of details. The showers are very well setup with plenty of room, good drying area and hooks for towel and clothes. However, I'm not expecting perfect temperature from a hostel, but these showers actually switch from ice cold to burning hot. At one point I had to jump into the shower curtain to get out of the way when it suddenly became scalding hot. Again, the kitchen has everything you could need, but you have to eat while swatting flies away.

Bathrooms were freezing! Would pay extra to have heaters in the bathroom

• 24th May 2015

We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Previously no one has ever complained about the bathrooms being too cold, but it isn't a normal practise to heat backpacker bathrooms in the middle of winter.

I just wanted to say thank you to Bamber house for the comfortable accommodations during the short duration of my stay. Norman, the manager was very warm, hospitable and kind. He was very helpful with providing information of things to do in Auckland and made stay in Auckland that much more wonderful. The hostel was very clean, it felt more like a home than an actual hostel and I've stayed at many. Thanks again Bamber House for the hospitality and making me feel like I'm at home.

• 2nd May 2015

It's great to hear your enjoyed you stay with us at Bamber House! Our staff try hard to be welcoming and to help give our guests the best advice about activities in Auckland. We're glad you felt and home and we hope you return soon.

Nice private twin room with ensuite. Shower definitely could have done with a scrub. Electric blankets and heaters provided. Laundry facilities available at additional cost. Kitchen was functional but a bit untidy. Wifi is only available in the common lounge and other guests were friendly to converse with and play card games with. Nice, quiet location close enough to everything via transport.