Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

In my room there was some stupid people but maybe I was just unlucky. To go downtown you need to catch a bus.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry a fellow guest was less than considerate of his room-mates on this occasion but we hope it didn't spoil your visit too much. We certainly hope you get another chance to stay with us and wish you well for the rest of your travels!

What a lovely place I stay in the Ackland! I think this is the best one of all the hostel I stayed in the Ackland! Like a warm Home! Thank you Tim and Grace.....(sorry I forgot how to spell it, forgive me! and I will be back here and I will figue it out!) Best wishes for Bamber House.

• 20th Jun 2013
  • China

A very friendly, well-run hostel. Also very helpful, which is perhaps the most important when you're travelling in a new city!

• 17th Jun 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Great hostel, lots of long-termers so it's a bit awkward if you're only there a few nights, but most people are very friendly and nice. Really nice media room, and the $5 dinners are great. Not right downtown but that's a benefit, as people are generally more laid back. Access to town is easy with the bus, only about $2 to the city center. Rooms have locks but most people leave them open, seems like a very safe place.

I truly recommend Bamber House. Tim, the manager, was very kind and helpful in anything I needed. This was the first hostel I stayed in and no regrets!

Staff great and so lovely, so homely and spotless there. Room was lovely and great shower. bus right oustide the hostel. And we got a complimentary internet, which we lost and hotel manager replaced it!

great place to stay and Mt Eden village is within walking and lovely place to go mooching - also lots nice eating places Bamber House was very funky and relaxing - really recommend it

Excellent mood and cool vibe.

Great hostel location is good and everyone was lovely

Nice hostel, enjoyed a one night stay here. Good social areas

You can see why Bamber House achieves such high ratings, the hostel is set in a beautiful old house that is kept very clean. The staff and guests are very welcoming of new arrivals. The rooms themselves are fine with plenty of storage space, I was upgraded on arrival into a twin room which was nice. The $5 meals are brilliant, I had enough left over for lunch the next day. Location is perfect if you don't want to stay in the city center. A short bus ride away and near to great parks & shops.

• 17th May 2013

I stayed for only 1 day but i enjoy the experience. The grocery is a bit far from the hostel but its ok.

Returning to Bamber House was just like I was returning home. Everyone who is staying at Bamber House (short and long termers) are so friendly, the managers are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are comfy and the whole place is very clean! The kitchen is great if you want to cook as there are so many pans/utensils to use. I must say that Bamber House is my favourite hostel in New Zealand and I think that everyone should stay here.

• 13th May 2013

A very clean and friendly hostel. Really well equipped. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Pretty good place. A lot of long-termers. I think I might have gotten pink eye from the sheets or towel though :-(

Sounds like you may have encountered our two cats, Bonnie & Clyde, and had an allergic reaction to them rather than picking up anything from the towels and sheets which are cleaned daily. We feel our resident cats and Zeus the dog lend a homely feel to the place but appreciate not everyone gets along with them quite as well as we do! Our sister property Oaklands Lodge is feline-free if you need another good option for future visits to Auckland :-)

Really loved it there. Very friendly staff members, very careing, nice rooms and common room. Will definitly come back!

Had a great time at Bamber House. The staff were helpful and the hostel was very clean and quiet during my stay. It is well located being only a 5 minute bus ride to the city and has loads of character. Hope to have the opportunity to stay there again in the near future.

I was only there overnight but I found the hostel to be tidy, near to shops/airport shuttle/cafes, and encouraging of a social atmosphere. There was a lovely patio where people were chatting and playing music into the evening, a large common area where people could eat/use internet, TV room and quiet area. My roomates were a bit sloppy so can't comment on the room's cleanliness but the kictchen/bathroom/commons were lived-in yet tidy. Quite a nice spot for a stop-over.

They organise so many activities for you to do, events inside the hostel and nights out visiting local bars or bowling, and the guys cook great dinners too. A quiet and relaxed hostel with very friendly staff and guests, really inclusive of everybody, I like that a lot. A beautiful and clean hostel, they even have a couple of nice cats which really makes it feel like home!

• 27th Apr 2013

A nice hostel to stay. Not to far from the city. Only one thing i didn't like about this hostel was that it was not quit around 11 pm. It was quit around 3 am or sometimes 4 am.

Hi Nadia, thank you for taking the time to post a review. You booked an economy dorm for a Friday and Saturday night. We make clear that these rooms are cheaper because they are close to the entrance and social areas and this is a compromise you chose to accept by saving money. We endeavour to manage excessive noise throughout the week but you can appreciate on a Saturday night people will come in at all hours and more often than not want to use the kitchen (which your room was next to). We will continue to keep the kitchen open 24 hours as it is beneficial to early risers as well as night owls. We regret you didn't bring your trouble sleeping to our attention during your stay as we could have moved you upstairs into a more suitable room. Nevertheless, we hope you have a great time travelling NZ!