Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

Best hostel in Auckland. Staff is very nice. I lost the key on the day I left but he didn't charge me for that. It was cold because there is only a small heater in the room so he gave me extra blanket. Shower is clean. Dorm is super clean and spacious which is what I like most. There are also drawers and lockers in the room for storage. The atmosphere is ok, not much of a party hostel. There are some long-term guests and they seem to keep it to themselves.

Thank you for writing a review and providing good feedback. We're proud of our clean and friendly environment and work hard to make activities throughout the week that are inclusive of everybody. We're definitely not a party hostel but we have a great atmosphere none-the-less :-) Safe travels!

A very good option for Auckland stay. Lovely house, good facilities, a real home from home. Tim on reception was excellent and top guy. Small bus ride to town not a problem and cheap enough. Would recommend. Only gripe is Internet costs........sure you get 200 meg free (not per day but only when you check in...... Which doesn't last very long)...... Bit too expensive but I am sure in line with rest of Auckland.

The best hostel in New Zealand

• 3rd Jul 2013

Beautiful house located in a lovely, residential location, with just about all the amenities (including kitchen facilities) that one could want. Friendly, helpful staff, and lovely location - just about a stones throw away from perhaps the best vista in Auckland - Mt. Eden. What more could one ask for?

In my room there was some stupid people but maybe I was just unlucky. To go downtown you need to catch a bus.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry a fellow guest was less than considerate of his room-mates on this occasion but we hope it didn't spoil your visit too much. We certainly hope you get another chance to stay with us and wish you well for the rest of your travels!

What a lovely place I stay in the Ackland! I think this is the best one of all the hostel I stayed in the Ackland! Like a warm Home! Thank you Tim and Grace.....(sorry I forgot how to spell it, forgive me! and I will be back here and I will figue it out!) Best wishes for Bamber House.

• 20th Jun 2013
  • China

A very friendly, well-run hostel. Also very helpful, which is perhaps the most important when you're travelling in a new city!

• 17th Jun 2013
  • Couple, 41+

Great hostel, lots of long-termers so it's a bit awkward if you're only there a few nights, but most people are very friendly and nice. Really nice media room, and the $5 dinners are great. Not right downtown but that's a benefit, as people are generally more laid back. Access to town is easy with the bus, only about $2 to the city center. Rooms have locks but most people leave them open, seems like a very safe place.

I truly recommend Bamber House. Tim, the manager, was very kind and helpful in anything I needed. This was the first hostel I stayed in and no regrets!

Staff great and so lovely, so homely and spotless there. Room was lovely and great shower. bus right oustide the hostel. And we got a complimentary internet, which we lost and hotel manager replaced it!

great place to stay and Mt Eden village is within walking and lovely place to go mooching - also lots nice eating places Bamber House was very funky and relaxing - really recommend it

Excellent mood and cool vibe.

Great hostel location is good and everyone was lovely

Nice hostel, enjoyed a one night stay here. Good social areas

You can see why Bamber House achieves such high ratings, the hostel is set in a beautiful old house that is kept very clean. The staff and guests are very welcoming of new arrivals. The rooms themselves are fine with plenty of storage space, I was upgraded on arrival into a twin room which was nice. The $5 meals are brilliant, I had enough left over for lunch the next day. Location is perfect if you don't want to stay in the city center. A short bus ride away and near to great parks & shops.

• 17th May 2013

I stayed for only 1 day but i enjoy the experience. The grocery is a bit far from the hostel but its ok.

Returning to Bamber House was just like I was returning home. Everyone who is staying at Bamber House (short and long termers) are so friendly, the managers are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are comfy and the whole place is very clean! The kitchen is great if you want to cook as there are so many pans/utensils to use. I must say that Bamber House is my favourite hostel in New Zealand and I think that everyone should stay here.

• 13th May 2013

A very clean and friendly hostel. Really well equipped. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Pretty good place. A lot of long-termers. I think I might have gotten pink eye from the sheets or towel though :-(

Sounds like you may have encountered our two cats, Bonnie & Clyde, and had an allergic reaction to them rather than picking up anything from the towels and sheets which are cleaned daily. We feel our resident cats and Zeus the dog lend a homely feel to the place but appreciate not everyone gets along with them quite as well as we do! Our sister property Oaklands Lodge is feline-free if you need another good option for future visits to Auckland :-)

Really loved it there. Very friendly staff members, very careing, nice rooms and common room. Will definitly come back!