Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

You can see why Bamber House achieves such high ratings, the hostel is set in a beautiful old house that is kept very clean. The staff and guests are very welcoming of new arrivals. The rooms themselves are fine with plenty of storage space, I was upgraded on arrival into a twin room which was nice. The $5 meals are brilliant, I had enough left over for lunch the next day. Location is perfect if you don't want to stay in the city center. A short bus ride away and near to great parks & shops.

• 17th May 2013

I stayed for only 1 day but i enjoy the experience. The grocery is a bit far from the hostel but its ok.

Returning to Bamber House was just like I was returning home. Everyone who is staying at Bamber House (short and long termers) are so friendly, the managers are very welcoming and helpful. The rooms are comfy and the whole place is very clean! The kitchen is great if you want to cook as there are so many pans/utensils to use. I must say that Bamber House is my favourite hostel in New Zealand and I think that everyone should stay here.

• 13th May 2013

A very clean and friendly hostel. Really well equipped. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Pretty good place. A lot of long-termers. I think I might have gotten pink eye from the sheets or towel though :-(

Sounds like you may have encountered our two cats, Bonnie & Clyde, and had an allergic reaction to them rather than picking up anything from the towels and sheets which are cleaned daily. We feel our resident cats and Zeus the dog lend a homely feel to the place but appreciate not everyone gets along with them quite as well as we do! Our sister property Oaklands Lodge is feline-free if you need another good option for future visits to Auckland :-)

Really loved it there. Very friendly staff members, very careing, nice rooms and common room. Will definitly come back!

Had a great time at Bamber House. The staff were helpful and the hostel was very clean and quiet during my stay. It is well located being only a 5 minute bus ride to the city and has loads of character. Hope to have the opportunity to stay there again in the near future.

I was only there overnight but I found the hostel to be tidy, near to shops/airport shuttle/cafes, and encouraging of a social atmosphere. There was a lovely patio where people were chatting and playing music into the evening, a large common area where people could eat/use internet, TV room and quiet area. My roomates were a bit sloppy so can't comment on the room's cleanliness but the kictchen/bathroom/commons were lived-in yet tidy. Quite a nice spot for a stop-over.

They organise so many activities for you to do, events inside the hostel and nights out visiting local bars or bowling, and the guys cook great dinners too. A quiet and relaxed hostel with very friendly staff and guests, really inclusive of everybody, I like that a lot. A beautiful and clean hostel, they even have a couple of nice cats which really makes it feel like home!

• 27th Apr 2013

A nice hostel to stay. Not to far from the city. Only one thing i didn't like about this hostel was that it was not quit around 11 pm. It was quit around 3 am or sometimes 4 am.

Hi Nadia, thank you for taking the time to post a review. You booked an economy dorm for a Friday and Saturday night. We make clear that these rooms are cheaper because they are close to the entrance and social areas and this is a compromise you chose to accept by saving money. We endeavour to manage excessive noise throughout the week but you can appreciate on a Saturday night people will come in at all hours and more often than not want to use the kitchen (which your room was next to). We will continue to keep the kitchen open 24 hours as it is beneficial to early risers as well as night owls. We regret you didn't bring your trouble sleeping to our attention during your stay as we could have moved you upstairs into a more suitable room. Nevertheless, we hope you have a great time travelling NZ!

This was an excellent hostel and is right next to mount eden; this offers great views of the entire city. I would highly recommend it

Great hostel and staff were awesome

The beds were extremely creaky and the hostel was very noisy in the evenings with people gathering outside, making for very sleepless nights.

Were I to stay in Auckland again, that's definitely where I'd go.

A spacious and well laid out hostel in a good location for walking into Town and making the most of the Mount Eden area. The staff were friendly, inclusive and informative. We particularly liked the themed food nights and sharing of fruit grown on the grounds. There was a busy road outside but you wouldn't know it!

Bamber House is an excellent hostel. I did not want to stay in central Auckland so their Mt Eden location was perfect for me, close to the Domain as well as shops and resturants with good bus connections for both the airport and getting into the CBD. A friendly and welcoming hostel, the staff here were very helpful.

• 14th Apr 2013

I don't know what my problem is for not reviewing Bamber House sooner because it is without a doubt one of the nicest, possibly THE nicest hostel I've ever stayed in. It's in a quiet neighborhood- LOVED Mt. Eden, and Tim, the manager, is a really lovely guy. Super helpful, super friendly, and the rooms were clean and nice, with a great kitchen! The only strange thing was that the rest of the staff seemed like a posse, and would stay up really late and be quite loud drinking outside.

The ensuite-rooms are great, the privates with shared bathrooms are a bit aged, but still quite alright. Kitchen could have been a bit cleaner, but comes with a good variety of spices! 200 mb free internet per person. Supermarket and restaurants within 15 min, bus to city 2 min (takes 10-15 min downtown).

I loved this hostel, everything was great, especially the staff (Tim the manager is awesome) and the atmosphere (it's like a family).

• 10th Apr 2013

good location, central, friendly staff. only personally, i like smaller hostel (it s huge one compared to others).

• 3rd Apr 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our location is great, nestled in the heart of Mt Eden, although not central (we're a 10 minute bus ride away from the city) and at 42 beds we're rather small in the grand scheme of things - city centre hostels have well over 100 beds each!