Bamber House Reviews

22 View Road, Mt Eden, Auckland, New Zealand

nice stay for 2 days in a private dorm. helpful staff and the location is perfect if you don't want to be right in the centre.

• 16th Oct 2014

An activity in the hostel might make it easier to get to know the other people in the hostel.

At Bamber House we try to put on 3 to 4 activities during the week including trivia nights, hostel meals, poker, movie nights etc... However, during the weekend we usually let our guests do their own thing. Sorry if you weren't around to participate in our weekly activities but we're glad you enjoyed your stay!

Definitely the best hostel I have been in. Excellent atmosphere, very cozy rooms, there's no lack of space, the staff is very friendly, they would help you on anything you need. Hot water constantly for shower, and good pressure of it too. It's clean and the beds really comfortable. Also free wi-fi. I couldn't ask for more. I absolutely recommend it!

• 21st Sep 2014
  • Argentina

Really enjoyed my stay at Bamberg House! Good cummunity Rooms and activities. Overall, nothing to complain about. Good equipment in the kitchen aswell. 200mb free wifi/day and the reception staff was nice at any time. For me the best Hostel in Auckland.

• 20th Sep 2014

Really nice time passed here ! Rebecca helped me a lot to find car and accomodations for my trip.

• 16th Sep 2014

Felt welcome and enjoyed the stay-thanks. Will stay again for sure. The only thing I would add to the private rooms is a radio- it would be nice to come home and be able to put the radio on- well a tv would be even better of course. Just a thought

• 16th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Beaucoup de français à la bamber house. pas idéal pour arriver et vouloir parler anglais

• 15th Sep 2014

It is a shame you rated us due to French people being in our hostel.... and not on how your experience was in terms of location, staff, facilities, etc.

Très bonne ambiance !!

• 10th Sep 2014
  • Belgium

Je te remercie de prendre le temps de nous laisser une commentaire si gentille! :)

Super cute little hostel, seems to be run by a family. Security is a little iffy on the private ensuites since they're separated from the main house and only held with a glass door, but they do offer to hold anything you like at the front desk. If they put safes in the rooms I'd feel even better. They're SO friendly. The private ensuites are really wonderful, they feel like a real home, and they're very isolated from noise and traffic which I loved. I'd stay here again anytime.

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay. These ranch slider doors are common in residential homes, in fact my family has one in our own home located right next to the hostel. The only theft we've had in the ensuite cabins was when these doors were left wide open. Mt Eden is considered a safe residential area but we always recommend to all our guests that they take extra care while traveling. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Unfortunately we had a long stay next to our room and they woke up at 5 in the night to start chatting away. Also their box with stuff was in front of our door to the balcony. First of all a trap in case of a real fire, secondly they were rambling around in it about 7 in the morning. Told them to do it in their room, which earned me strange looks.

We're sorry you had this experience, we wish you'd told us about it so we could have done something, we think it was a group we had staying that also had a balcony room and lots of gear. We don't take this type of booking, it was booked several months ago by a manger who did not follow our standard procedures.

I chose Bamber because of its high rating and great price, and it delivered in full. Very comfy, like-home atmosphere. Friendly, helpful staff. Highly recommended

• 27th Aug 2014

This hostel is well located in a pleasant suburb close to the city centre. It is family run and staff and very helpful and friendly. Great place for travellers to New Zealand. Big communal rooms for meeting other travellers

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Thanks for the great review, we hope to see you again soon!

Good off road parking.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Amazing hostel at Mount Eden area. Close to city center but in a quite area, cozy hostel. Only complaint would be about cold room. Our heater wasn't working properly (or at all) and everybody who would come to stay in the room would wear extra clothes to sleep. Quite attentive staff and great common areas

Thanks for the great review! Sorry to hear about the heater, next time just tell us and we'll do our best to replace the heater as soon as possible. We also have extra blankets available on request.

Nice team , very friendly. It s a good place.

It's a nice place to spend a night or two, but the management is the worst I've seen in a backpacker in the last 7 years.You're like a kid at a boarding school, with a curfew and with stupid rules and they ask you for 10$ fine for anything. Because of that there is no atmosphere, and everybody is leaving the place even the people who stays in Auckland. If you want to meet people and have fun avoid this hostel, but if it's just for one night, why not.

• 18th Jun 2014

Bamber House is not a party hostel, which is why people come to stay with us; for a nice quiet and pleasant stay. We recognise that people who stay up until the early hours being disruptive to other guests trying to sleep will be asked to go to bed or leave the hostel for the night. I am sorry if asking you to be quiet for being loud has offended you and it is a shame you rate us based on your experience of us trying to make it a pleasure for other guests.

a tree rubbed against the unit (35) all night in the wind. the toilet seat was broken. the hand basin was completely block under the built in plug so i had to unblock the hair and grim myself. the jug cord didn't reach the plug from the bench so i had to place it on a chair to make a cuppa. a light bulb in my room was blown. the fridge in my room froze the milk. but otherwise it was a pleasant stay for the 3 nights i stayed.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Thank you for leaving your feedback. It was very stormy during your stay and we apologize for the noise the tree was causing. About the light bulb and sink etc. I wish you would have come to us and we would have fixed those things for you straight away or even moved you to a new room, which we had available.

Happy to go back! We stayed in a EnSuite for three nights. It was very good, had everything we needed. The cabin just got a new mattress and MAN it was a brilliant sleep. Amazing shower head with 4 different settings. Staff was very friendly and welcoming. I recieved a call, that we forgot a big bag of fruit and veges. Received free WiFi through booking with hostelworld :-D One thing I would have liked to know, but it was no biggie: the kitchen got closed for cleaning at 10:30 a.m.

• 17th Jun 2014

J'ai choisi cette auberge car il proposait un transfert de l'aéroport à l’hôtel, 1ère déception, aucun transfert n'est prévu. Deuxièmement le wifi gratuit est extrêmement limité à 200 mb, je ne suis pas venu pour télécharger mais pour trouver du travail donc envoyer des cv, des lettres de motivation et des messages. Or les 200 mb ne m'ont pas été suffisant j'ai donc dû racheter de l'internet supplémentaire donc je n'ai pas été vraiment content.

Location was further out of downtown than I would've liked, but close enough to a bus stop that it didn't really matter. It was reasonably close to food & other shopping, as well as a nice short walk to the Mt. Eden area. Security seemed fine. I had minimal interactions with the staff, so I can't really say much about them one way or the other. There wasn't a whole lot of atmosphere, at least from my perspective; the other guests seemed a bit clique-ish.