Bamboo Rio Hostel Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho # 45, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have seen many hostel, but this exceeded my limit. The receptionist spoke with very low voice, so it was very hard to hear what he was saying. The room looked like a prison cell: the 6 bed dorm was extremely small and the air conditioner was on only 10 pm to 6 am, at other times the room was hot like hell. There is no window glass, so insects came inside. I didn't expect Hilton, but I had to take a hotel nearby. Take this hostel only if you don't have afford to better place to overnight.

Thanks for your feedback and we are sorry to hear that the hostel did not meet your expectations. We have varios rooms that differ in size and in price so you always have a choice. The air conditioning is on from 10PM to 10 AM and is off only when the absolute majority of our guests are not in the rooms. As for the insects and the heat there is very little we can do as we are in a tropical country with high temperatures, so it is always good to know where are you going and get a repelent =)

This hostel is probably great in summer but due to the lack of indoor common areas we had a tough time meeting other travellers (except when eating breakfast outdoors in the cold). The bathrooms were clean but there were two (!) showers for all female travellers in all the dorms. Our 12-bed dorm had three-story bunk beds and there was little room for our bags. Unless you are on a very tight budget I would avoid the 12-bed dorm, the smaller rooms looked much nicer!

Bamboo Rio hostel is greatful for your feedback, it is very important to make things better. We are sorry to hear that you thought that there are only 2 showers: actually, some rooms have private bathrooms and there are showers on the groundfloor and on the 2nd floor. The lounge / bar / breakfast is outside and most of the guests really apreciate being so close to the nature, the mountains and the forest. We can´t influence the weather, but in Rio it doesn´t get colder than 18 degrees!

Stayed at Bamboo during the end of the World Cup. It was a pretty average hostel, nothing spectacular. Staff was very busy but helpful when needed.

Thank you for your feedback. The World Cup period was definitely very busy and out of normal, but we hope you have enjoyed your overall experience here and are very welcome to come back!

A nice little hostel. A few times the bar was closed early and we were told to keep the noise down so definitely not a party hostel. Staff were generally friendly and helpful, only one problem on our last day with the manageress Carla, who refused to help or talk to us as 'it's my day off' when we were after a refund for a trip we booked through the hostel but was cut short and we were just told unlucky. V poor service in this instance but not a bad hostel over all. Ryan

• 3rd Jul 2014

Bamboo Rio Hostel is thankful for your opinion and critics, it is extremely important for us.

Great atmosphere, amazing shared spaces, perfect location.Enjoy!!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Romania

Bamboo was a great youth hostel and exceeded my expectations. We didn't have high expectations before arriving there but it was very clean and the staff were very helpful. My only complaints include an incident where a staff member was speaking very loudly on the phone in the courtyard at 7-8am (my bed was right in the window) and some loud music at the bar at 1-2am. I talked to the front desk each time and there was no problem getting them to be quieter. If you want a hostel I recommend Bamboo.

• 26th Jun 2014

Thank you so much for staying at bamboo Rio hostel and glad you liked it!

Everything was great (very clean and safe area)but really disappointed with the breakfast. I stayed at a lot of hostels during this World cup and had never before been rationed one piece of ham, one piece of cheese and two pieces of fruit. Happy Bamboo Rio kept the dormitory for females as a female dorm during the World Cup so felt safer in this hostel.I booked the Rio tour (BRL250) with the tour group they work with.They arrived over 90 minutes late! The tour itself was great but shorter.

• 20th Jun 2014

Thank you for your feedback, it is very important for us to make things better everytime. The breakfast is partly buffet and partly comes in plates to make sure that everyone gets their breakfast. we are sorry to hear you had to wait for the tour but during the World Cup the traffic was very heavy and the city was out of normal. However, we are glad to hear you liked your experience here.

Very good hostel, all personal very nice.

Thank you so much for staying with us, we are glad you liked the experience!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels