Bamboo Rio Hostel Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho # 45, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

9 bed dorm with triple stack bunk beds and no a/c or fans. Not pleasant at all. Breakfast is super minimal and rationed out (looks nothing like the picture on here). Very average wifi.

The staff at the hostel were amazing - very friendly and happy to help. The breakfast was ok, but if you were there after 9.15am (the breakfast went from 8-10) you missed out on eggs as they were all gone. The rooms were extremely hot and it was hard to sleep (the 9 bed dorm does not have aircon it only has a tiny fan on the floor that reaches 2 people not the ones on the 3 level of beds who are almost touching the roof). There were also no lockers left available in the hostel

Very expensive hostel during christmas and new year. Everywhere in Rio prices explode. Buy all in all I can recommend this hostel. The staff was friendly and helpful with all our needs. They do try to make money with you. Recommended to take a van (pick up hostel) to paraty and didnt tell us that the publoc transport is way better. Breakfast as good but it could happen that there wasnt enough... The hostel has a good young and open atmosphere to hang oit with some other hostel guests :)

Staff were super helpful and the all you can drink free caprinha hour was a big hit. However when I stayed was nearly empty even though it was mid December and I was the only native English speaker. Made it harder to meet people. Location was fantastic though.

1h free caipis are cool

The staff was nice and friendly but they never supervised noise volumes or insuring people to clean their mess in the chicken. The result was that we had to do it... The wifi wasn't working in the room and there was just 2 showers and 2 bathrooms for all the guests. On the other hand , location was great and the free caipirinha even better!

It is close to everywhere and their staff is willing to help you every time, it's a nice place to stay

• 4th Dec 2015
  • Chile

Pros: good breakfast, very nice staff and helpful staff, big open air common area, clean toilets and useful kichen Cons: room was packed with people and smely, with no much space, pool is the smallest I ever see, not really usable.

• 8th Nov 2015
  • Serbia

The staff here are absolutely amazing! So friendly and helpful and helped us with everything we needed

• 5th Nov 2015

I can't rate this hotel high enough I absolutely love this place!! My flight was delayed coming over and they moved my booking for me so I didn't lose out. Staff are friendly and helpful and always cleaning. Breakfast was good and filled you up. Location is brilliant - a few minutes to the metro and to the beach with shops and restaurants around and on the way. A big thanks to Manuela you are amazing, thank you for making my stay and my first time to Rio and Brazil excellent! You are a star!

The rooms aren't anything special, but everything is mostly clean. We were expecting a bit more of a backpacker vibe (there was a lot of Brazilians and some families) but the bar is great (unlimited free caiprinhas from 7-8). Best part of the hostel was the staff and their friends. We partied with them every night and they always hooked it up and had the best parties. Would recommend!

We loved bamboo Rio hostel, such a lovely place, very clean and amazing helpful staff!!

• 13th Oct 2015

Great staff!!

Great hostel with Very helpful and nice staff!! Wifi was fast, rooms were clean and it's only a short walk to cococabana!! Highly recommend and can't wait to get back....

Good value for money but the breakfast should be bigger quantity. The room was a bit smelly due to the humidity. The pool was a bit dirty. The personal in reception sometimes had the music too loud early in the morning.

• 12th Sep 2015
  • Spain

Thank you for staying with us. We have a lot of rooms for all the types of travellers. For breakfast we have coffee, tea, juice, 2 types of bread, butter, marmalade, fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese and ham - for the hostel with the economic beds we believe it is not that poor. Hope you come back and stay in a better room to enjoy better what we offer.

Best hostel of my entire trip, I kept extending my stay. Great location, best atmosphere of my trip, made great friends here that I'm still in touch with, the staff are great, free caipirinhas at happy hour = good times

Great hostel, great staff! Good location, staff was really helpful when needed! And of course, free caipirinhas!haha I loved my stayed at Bamboo Hostel!

Thank you so much for staying with us, always welcome to come back!

We spent 4 nights in a private double bed room, which had its own balcony with a glass wall facing a hill behind the hostel. I guess not every room is this nice, but our experience was great. We definitely recommend this hostel.

Thank you so much for staying with us, always welcome!

The staff was awesome! one of the best I found going round. They gave us really nice tips and were all really helpful. Cons: they made us pay to leave the bags there for two hours after leaving; the private room is quite small. Pro: One hour free caipirinha every night!!!

At Hostelworld web page I was asked to put arriving time, I set 9am, when I arrived to the hostel front desk person said that check-in was at 1pm (1pm!!!!!!!) so I asked to leave my stuff there to wander around the city without heavy luggage until the check-in timer, but staff asked me to pay 5 Reales for it!! So, what's the deal?? Late Check-in and pay for leaving personal belongings there? The rest was fine.

Dear Fernando, 1PM is absolutely not late time for the check in and luggage storage is an optional service that we offer, with no obligation whatsoever to pay if you do not want to use it. People who arrive earlier or have to leave later are more than welcome to stay in the common areas of the hostel.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels