Bamboo Rio Hostel Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho # 45, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have seen many hostel, but this exceeded my limit. The receptionist spoke with very low voice, so it was very hard to hear what he was saying. The room looked like a prison cell: the 6 bed dorm was extremely small and the air conditioner was on only 10 pm to 6 am, at other times the room was hot like hell. There is no window glass, so insects came inside. I didn't expect Hilton, but I had to take a hotel nearby. Take this hostel only if you don't have afford to better place to overnight.

This hostel is probably great in summer but due to the lack of indoor common areas we had a tough time meeting other travellers (except when eating breakfast outdoors in the cold). The bathrooms were clean but there were two (!) showers for all female travellers in all the dorms. Our 12-bed dorm had three-story bunk beds and there was little room for our bags. Unless you are on a very tight budget I would avoid the 12-bed dorm, the smaller rooms looked much nicer!

Bamboo Rio hostel is greatful for your feedback, it is very important to make things better. We are sorry to hear that you thought that there are only 2 showers: actually, some rooms have private bathrooms and there are showers on the groundfloor and on the 2nd floor. The lounge / bar / breakfast is outside and most of the guests really apreciate being so close to the nature, the mountains and the forest. We can´t influence the weather, but in Rio it doesn´t get colder than 18 degrees!

Stayed at Bamboo during the end of the World Cup. It was a pretty average hostel, nothing spectacular. Staff was very busy but helpful when needed.

Thank you for your feedback. The World Cup period was definitely very busy and out of normal, but we hope you have enjoyed your overall experience here and are very welcome to come back!

A nice little hostel. A few times the bar was closed early and we were told to keep the noise down so definitely not a party hostel. Staff were generally friendly and helpful, only one problem on our last day with the manageress Carla, who refused to help or talk to us as 'it's my day off' when we were after a refund for a trip we booked through the hostel but was cut short and we were just told unlucky. V poor service in this instance but not a bad hostel over all. Ryan

• 3rd Jul 2014

Bamboo Rio Hostel is thankful for your opinion and critics, it is extremely important for us.

Great atmosphere, amazing shared spaces, perfect location.Enjoy!!

• 29th Jun 2014
  • Romania

Bamboo was a great youth hostel and exceeded my expectations. We didn't have high expectations before arriving there but it was very clean and the staff were very helpful. My only complaints include an incident where a staff member was speaking very loudly on the phone in the courtyard at 7-8am (my bed was right in the window) and some loud music at the bar at 1-2am. I talked to the front desk each time and there was no problem getting them to be quieter. If you want a hostel I recommend Bamboo.

• 26th Jun 2014

Thank you so much for staying at bamboo Rio hostel and glad you liked it!

Everything was great (very clean and safe area)but really disappointed with the breakfast. I stayed at a lot of hostels during this World cup and had never before been rationed one piece of ham, one piece of cheese and two pieces of fruit. Happy Bamboo Rio kept the dormitory for females as a female dorm during the World Cup so felt safer in this hostel.I booked the Rio tour (BRL250) with the tour group they work with.They arrived over 90 minutes late! The tour itself was great but shorter.

• 20th Jun 2014

Thank you for your feedback, it is very important for us to make things better everytime. The breakfast is partly buffet and partly comes in plates to make sure that everyone gets their breakfast. we are sorry to hear you had to wait for the tour but during the World Cup the traffic was very heavy and the city was out of normal. However, we are glad to hear you liked your experience here.

Very good hostel, all personal very nice.

Thank you so much for staying with us, we are glad you liked the experience!

Really fun place! Outdoor environment. The only bad thing was there were SO many mosquitos and some rude guests, but that's not quite the hostel's fault.

Thanks for staying at Bamboo Rio hostel! We are happy that you liked staying with us and hope you will come back next time.

Smelly room downstairs, a lot of moskitos. Nice staff

• 18th Oct 2013
  • Switzerland

Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear you liked our staff and will take into acount the critics to improve ou hostel.

Is a good hostel overall, but you guys need to work in the service you offer, make sure the breakfast is on time.. There was no internet in the rooms even when you have a little or more signal the internet didn't work in the rooms.. But the thing you need to work the most is being friendly with the people, Marcelo was the only person in the staff always smiling and talking with the guests..

• 29th Sep 2013
  • Venezuela

Thank you so much for your feedback, it is very important to improve our service each time, we will definitely pay attention to it.

Nice enough hostel, close to the beach. The pool is more like a bath, but the staff are friendly and the breakfast is good.

• 16th Sep 2013

Bamboo Rio hostel is very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay, very welcome to come back any time!

Nice hostel and very helpful staff - thanks!

Thank you Anna for staying at Bamboo Rio hostel, we are very glad that you liked your stay, always welcome to come back!

Not too far from the beach. Nice breakfasts but not much space to eat and not the best communal areas for hanging out. Staff very friendly. Airport transfers they offer are quite expensive, I got a taxi for much less at the airport itself!

Bamboo Rio hostel team is happy you enjoyed your stay and we are hoping to see you again!

This hostel was ok. While I was there it wasn't very social, but there were some monkeys that played in the jungle in the back near the patio, so that was cool. Overall it was not a bad hostel, but I have stayed at better. Probably would give it a 7 out of 10.

Thank you for your hosnest opinion, it is important to us in order to improve our hostel and we are hoping to see you back on day!

Great place. Only complain is its hot and humid at night when trying to sleep

• 5th Apr 2013

We are happy to hear you liked Bamboo Rio hostel. It is hot in Rio de Janeiro in the summer time, but at night we always have air conditioning on.

Everything was great! I'm definitely coming back! :D I had so much fun! The location is perfect! The hostel was very clean and bfast so good! Staff nice and helpful! Guilherme, the bartender was very helpful, fun and friendly!

We are very glad to hear that you liked our hostel, we are doing our best to make your stay a great experience. Always welcome, customers who come back have 10% discount =)

- room: slept for 3 nights in a room with 12 beds. It's ok for people who don't care about not having much space (about 10qm) and want to save money. unfortunately not enough lockers in the room for everyone! - Toilets: Cleanliness ok, but not enough toilets & showers! - Staff: during the day very nice, friendly and helpful; the guy during the night: not helpful - nice bar and barkeeper - breakfast was ok - over all. is ok for that price, maybe not take a room with 12 beds

• 24th Mar 2013

Thank you for your comment, it is extremely important for us. All rooms have 1 locker per person, but some guests use more than one, but it is easy to solve once you talk to the reception. We are glad you liked our staff and the breakfast, we are doing our best to improve and make your stay a wonderful esperience. Always welcome to come back!

I had an okay time here. The prices are pretty high and you are essentially paying for the privilege of being near Copacabana. I found there was little or no atmosphere particularly in terms of evening activities, which is a shame when you are in Rio. There was only one friendly member of staff. In my dorm there were four triple bunkbeds, which obviously made everything feel really cramped! There are big lockers outside. Breakfast could be a lot better for the price.

I have stayed in several hostels in Rio de Janeiro over the years and Bamboo is my top recommendation for Rio. The location is excellent, 4 block away from Copacabana beach. The staff was really friendly and went out of thier way to help me with everything from finding the best parties of the night to finding a cash machine. Also the private rooms are spacious and very clean. In the hostel bar you will meet lots of other travellers but the bad part is that they close it at midnight.

Bamboo Rio hostel is happy to get your positive feedback! The bar closes at midnight in order our guests could have a rest and for those that like to party, we have lots of tips and offers. Always welcome, we offer discount for those who come back!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7