Bambu Hostel Reviews

C/Virgincita San Mateo Abajo, David City, Panama

We really liked our first night there in room 9 so booked another night for 1 week away, requesting the same room. When we got there they said the room we reserved had already been taken so we were given another. The second room had a very poor bed, ineffective aircconditioning and we were kept awake all night by dogs barking and howling and people talking. The room was right by the kitchen so noisy in the morning as well.

• 30th Jan 2016

Bambu hostel was great. I originally booked 1 night and ended up staying 3. While there is not much to do in David, it is a short trip from Boquete, the hot springs, and a few beaches. Also, with the pool and tree house dorms, it felt like a jungle paradise. Staff was very friendly and the hostel was just a short walk to the markets and many restaurants. I would return if I ended up in David again!

Wasn't a fan of this place.. Sorry

Nice kitchen in the middle of the garden,, fresh coffee in the morning.

I really liked the natural feel of this hotel and it had a beautiful garden and pool. I was using this as a stop over place and had to leave early in the morning, so did not enjoy that the bambu house was right next to the bar where loud music was playing until past midnight

Lovely place to stay! I really recommend it! It's wonderful to see a place that is not touristic :)

We didn't use the pool,but it's a nice addition if you'd like to get wet.Had cold beer for a$.Not much to do in David. better to go on to Boquete. Bus to Boquete only $1.75 Good place to catch up on reading and just relaxing.Restaurant right across the street had good fresh fish for $3.50. Owner and staff very nice and helpful.

The volunteers were extremely nice and helpful, they gave us a lot of useful information. The hostel is really nice and got located, unfortunately it was quite dirty all over, especially the bathrooms.

This place looks a bit run down at first but once you get to the pool area it takes on a really nice charm. The bar area is friendly and the pool is clean and bright. There is no other place I'd rather stay in David than here. It was a great place to be and go. Air conditioning was nice in the private rooms. Got so cold we had to turn in up! Great place to stay!

Awesome air conditioning systemsystem. Although it would be nice to regulate temperature or get thicker blankets.awesome food t restaurants across!!!

Great comfortable atmosphere. Will make this our place to stay in David.

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Located at the edge of town you still have everything you need ( nice restaurant right across the street, 24h supermarket within walking distance). The beds are comfortable (especially in the Jungle Dorm) and the volunteers working there are really friendly and helpful. I'd definitely stay at the Bambu again.

This place has a special place in my heart. Its a bit odd, but it became a cozy nesting place for us. The sense of community there was great. I stayed in the private room. It could be marginally cleaner. But it depends on who is staffing the place at the time. Please put curtains up!! The light shines in at night. The outdoor kitchen is amazing! The pool is so refreshing when its 90 in David City. Stay here!! And feed the pet coati eggs!!

Bambu truly is a traveller's oasis. The staff are warm, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful. There's a nice pool. There's a great bar. The restaurant across the road serves great fish dishes (try the sopa de marisco) and they have a resident coati. What more could your want?

• 16th Dec 2015

Thanks for taking care of the leak in our private bathroom so quickly. The young Panamanian man was a sweetheart and really ON TOP of things at the crack of dawn. Kudos Greg! David charmed up for many reasons. You thought of many things to make it comfortable.

• 13th Dec 2015

Good hostel, next to the bus stop, clean and with hot showers (that is really hard to find in all central america)! We ended up staying 2 nights and we really liked it. Recommend it and wolud stay there again.

My wife and I used a private room at Bambu as a starting and ending point for a month-long visit to Chiriquí Province. We immediately felt comfortable and safe there our first time through the owner, then totally 'at home' once we returned almost three weeks later. We found the staff and volunteers welcoming and helpful, the pool very refreshing after a number of day trips to awesome destinations such as Playa Las Lajas and Los Cangilones de Gualaca, and enjoyed sharing stories with other guests.

Thank you for 'getting' what bambu is all about, a clean place with an awesome garden and pool and an opportunity to meet great people like yourselves from all over the world, the folks that focus the review on a dirty plate in our communal outdoor kitchen, are missing out on the real experience, you are welcome back anytime.

Fantastic vibe hear! Amazingly friendly staff, lockers available and a resident coati to entertain you. Awesome fish restaurant opposite - extremely cheap. Hostel sells beer for $1. Loved my stay here.

My wife and I felt immediately at home, safe and comfortable at Bambu as our first accommodations ever in Panama. We enjoyed our stay there, really appreciated the staff's hospitality, and are looking forward to returning. Sure, there's room for improvement, and when we get back we'll try to contribute some thoughts to the suggestion box. But this is a place that just has a good vibe about it.

Only stay here if you need to do a stopover. Lots of cockroaches in my room. Otherwise, it serves it's purpose.

There was only one cockroach in that room, and it was of the human variety.