Banana Backpackers Reviews

61 Pine Street, Ambassador House 1st Floor., Durban, South Africa

The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. Thanks a lot!

• 21st Mar 2014
  • South Africa
  • All Female Group, 41+

A bit tatty round the edges but great location with very friendly and helpful staff

It’s true it is well-located( close to many attractions ) and the staff is very helpful but the dorms weren’t clean and the linen had seen better days. The kitchen is spacious but it is very old and many of the pots and cutlery are dirty. The toilets are relatively clean but it’s old. I haven’t seen rats or cockroaches as I had read in other reviews.

Busdriver already called it "Devils House" or something like that... Some Windows are destroyed. Rooms look a bit like a prison and at some spots it smells like one. The Kitchen is so disgusting, that you don't want to make food in it. Common Room is ok. There are 6 hints at reception that they don't refund / "No refunds when check out earlyer" - That says everything...

How should I respond ? You arrived with 6 others , taking our numbers for the night to 53 . You never lodged a complaint during your brief visit , however 1 out of 53 . Thank you for informing us of the drivers comments and will take the matter further . Sorry we did not provide you with a better service

Perhaps the place has undergone renovations since some of these reviews were written, but I thought that the reviews I saw before I went to Banana Backpackers were highly inaccurate. The hostel isn't the most luxurious in the world, but it was clean, organized and the atmosphere was chilled and friendly. The only thing I could critique the place on would be the security. Having your own car means having to park it on the street which isn't ideal. A great place overall and great value for money!