Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

It's a bit pricey for a hostel, but I believe the "free" (no cost to you, but be nice and remember to tip!) tours are factored into the nightly price. But damn, are the tours great! Even if sometimes they are a little short, they give you a great way to meet with other solo travelers and make plans together for the rest of your stay. I wish the location were a tad better since there aren't many places to eat nearby. Overall, it's a great social hostel and is very conducive to solo traveling!

Absolutely loved my stay at the Bungalow. Even though Wailuku wasn't my favourite place, the tours and atmosphere at the hostel completely made up for that. The staff, in particular Matt and Bridgitte, were awesome and the commom areas and tours allow plenty of opportunity to meet new people. The waterfall about a ten minute walk away was also an added bonus. Great place for solo travellers :)

This was one of the most social hostels I have stayed at. The common areas are always full of people and the atmosphere is great. The free trips that the hostel offers are the best! First great way to discover Maui as well as meet new people. The location is just OK, nothing much around. Staff were cool! I recommend this one if you choose to come to Maui!

There isn't much in the surrounding area though the daily tours make up for it. The tours are free and great fun. You should tip fairly generously but even with doing that it's great value for money as similar tours are far more expensive. The hostel has lots to do- pool table, hot tub and computers. Everyone seemed friendly too.

I liked the hostel. The idea of free tours is amazing, because the hostel is far from any beach. The tour guides were amazing!! But the staff working there were more like friends hanging out than a staff properly. They were friends that used to stay together all the time and after the quiet time (22:00), they close one part of the common area (including the kitchen) and stay there making noise and laughing very loud. Besides that, the hostel is ok.

awesome there!!! greetings to Isac and the great stuff.!! we had alot fun!!

• 2nd Oct 2014

Stayed for one night. Nice hostel, bathrooms clean, one common area with table tennis, TV... free WiFi, free pancakes coffee tea, mosquitos ;) and free trips (but you have to tip the driver). Without a car - good value... Otherwise a bit too expensive...

This property should be taken off hostel world. I had to leave immediately upon arrival as there was drug activity taking place.

• 24th Sep 2014

If you can - don't stay there. The only positive thing are the free tours but this is actually not enough compensation for what you're experiencing. When I checked in into my room my (really lovely) room mates where hunting a mouse that partly ate the bag from one of the girls. Whilst hunting for the mouse (or mice?) something else ran through the room - a giant cockroach. The bathrooms were no better experience either, moldy, dirty and haven't seem cleaning equipment for a very long time...

Had such a great time at this hostel. Though I didn't take advantage of any of the free torus I met people from all around the world!! Very chill vibe.. I will definitely be back in the future!

• 21st Sep 2014

I felt at home even though I was the only elderly guest. I enjoyed the Iao Needle tour.

Pretty expensive for the facilities available.

LOVED the banana bungalow!!!! the free tours are amazing! so much fun, you meet heaps of people and the staff are great! definitely a social hostel! only downfall was the location- if u dont hire a car or wanna do the tours you're pretty much stuck there... and the bedrooms are SO hot!! Id definitely return though! free pancake breaky was awesome and staff were great! party hostel for sure!

Excellent hostel, had a great time. The free tours are the best! You don't need to hire a car at all, these guys will take you to all the best places on the island. And the tour guides/staff were really friendly, chilled out awesome guys. Also don't let the 10pm sound curfew fool you, this is a serious party hostel.

Great hostel for the value! Great people and staff. The tours they offer for (you tip, almost) free are fantastic.

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

I was very disappointed in the pricing at this hostel. I called in advance to make sure I and my partner would just pay the 52 $ for us both,

• 2nd Sep 2014

"Free "tours are great! Had a good time, young energetic group. International guests, beautiful women, friendly atmosphere. Party time!

Terrible location, but it's all good because the free tours and great atmosphere make things ok. This is a quiet enough hostel if you want it to be, and quite the party hostel if you want that too. A very cool lounge/common area. Did I mention the free tours!? You have to tip your guide, but that's totally worth it if you are doing Maui without a car.

I had a great time! The daily free tours make up for the location. Although, the waterfall in walking distance is a little treat! The best hostel I have ever stayed at!

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Tours are amazing!!!!! Everyone played drinking games all night, it had such an amazing atmosphere. Met some of the most incredible people there, will definitely go back one day.

• 7th Jul 2014