Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

I loved staying here. It felt totally welcoming and almost like a family away from home. The staff/community made me feel like more than a tourist and I especially appreciated their knowledge of what was around. Just wish I could have stayed longer!

• 28th Feb 2015

Party hostel, unfortunatley you need a car to get to the nice beaches and around. No lockers in room, tours are nice but not for free, you have to tip the driver 15-20$ and you can't go on a tour every day because the signing list for the next day will be published right after the tour bus for the day leaves so by the time you get back from your tour the trip for the next day will most probably be booked out already. Kitchen was big, they do have laundry machines, PCs,billiard table and hot tube

We only stayed 1 out of the 3 nights we reserved. The first night, strong winds blew the roof off the hostel and heavy rain caused our private room to flood. The staff were helpful but were unable to offer us any viable alternative accommodation. The island was packed, and this left us in a terrible position. After some arguing, we were given a full refund and crashed on a friend's couch for the rest of our stay. It seems to be a nice place but they need to improve their infrastructure.

Very fun and lively atmosphere.

• 31st Jan 2015

Do not be fooled by the "free" tours. This grotty hostel is in the middle of nowhere, useless staff and cockroaches called it their home. The tours are flawed, if you don't make it onto the list you are stuck in the backend of nowhereville with nothing to do. I'm sure that's why people were boozing at 9am. I ended up hiring a car everyday in order to A) see the island and B) do it in a civilized fashion. The constant drinking and drug smoking was not my idea of fun. DO NOT DO IT.

Aloha, I'm so sorry to hear you had a negative experience at the Bungalow. Our tours are in fact free, though we do suggest you tip the tour guides at your discretion. If you don't make it on tour, we are located right next to a bus stop that can take you anywhere you want to go on the island! We want our guests to enjoy Maui however they see fit and for some, a drink at 9 AM is just that! If you stay with us in the future, I'd be happy to address any concerns you might have. Mahalo!

There are only 8 showers for everyone that stays there, was always waiting to get in the shower. Cleanliness wasn't bad but wasn't great. Location was ok. Bus stop about 15 min walk and Safeway about 20 min walk. Tried to ask staff a few questions about how to get around and told me to "use Google". However the tours and the social atmosphere defiantly make up for where other places lack.

Aloha! I'm glad you enjoyed our one of a kind Bungalow atmosphere! Our staff does their best to be helpful and I apologize if one of us didn't know the answer to your question and had to resort to Google. Just goes to show how much there is to do in Maui that no one can know it all! I hope you consider staying with us in the future and meet even more fun and interesting travelers and backpackers!

Just too expensive for what it is

• 10th Jan 2015
  • Austria

A bit pricey but worth it. Great atmosphere, everyone gets to know each other. They get a keg on Fridays, feels like living in a college dorm. Didn't get to take advantage of the tours but they all looked great. Highly recommend.

• 7th Jan 2015

Dirty kitchen, dirty room and very dirty bathrooms - including cold water sometimes. Despite that, staff are OK. Oh! And somebody stole 3 of my apples which was on the public fridge.

Great place to meet people and have fun. However, the location is a bit far from the water, if one is looking to swim. But, it's somewhat close to Iao Valley. Renting a car or hitch-hiking is your best bet!

Fantastic hostel with amazing staff! Would recommend to anyone :)

• 23rd Dec 2014

Such a party place. A really wonderful hostel. Too bad I was on a business visit and didn't feel like partying but loved the vibe in this hotel. For sure one of my top five hostels

The hostel itself was old and dirty. I think my flat pillow was from 1970. The bathrooms are small and pretty gross and the bunk beds rock every time someone moves. The location is on the wet side of the island so it's not a classic sunny Hawaii experience. But the tours are the saving grace. They more than made up for the hostel conditions. Seeing places we never would have seen on our own, great people, great guides, great tour ideas.

• 13th Dec 2014

You've travelled all over Europe and stayed at countless hostels and this is by far the best hostel I've been to anywhere in the world. Awesome social atmosphere but it's also easy to avoid if you're looking for a more relaxing experience. The daily tours they do for FREE are super fun and negate the need for a car because they'll end up taking you everywhere you want to go with the tours.

I Have to say that not cleaning privat Roms for 93 dollar Is not ok. And the little town Is Very quit nothing To do, No way to find good food around. The next town You just getting in by car, 15 to 20 min. Drive.

It's a bit pricey for a hostel, but I believe the "free" (no cost to you, but be nice and remember to tip!) tours are factored into the nightly price. But damn, are the tours great! Even if sometimes they are a little short, they give you a great way to meet with other solo travelers and make plans together for the rest of your stay. I wish the location were a tad better since there aren't many places to eat nearby. Overall, it's a great social hostel and is very conducive to solo traveling!

Absolutely loved my stay at the Bungalow. Even though Wailuku wasn't my favourite place, the tours and atmosphere at the hostel completely made up for that. The staff, in particular Matt and Bridgitte, were awesome and the commom areas and tours allow plenty of opportunity to meet new people. The waterfall about a ten minute walk away was also an added bonus. Great place for solo travellers :)

This was one of the most social hostels I have stayed at. The common areas are always full of people and the atmosphere is great. The free trips that the hostel offers are the best! First great way to discover Maui as well as meet new people. The location is just OK, nothing much around. Staff were cool! I recommend this one if you choose to come to Maui!

Best hostel on maui as you have the free trips on a daily basis.

There isn't much in the surrounding area though the daily tours make up for it. The tours are free and great fun. You should tip fairly generously but even with doing that it's great value for money as similar tours are far more expensive. The hostel has lots to do- pool table, hot tub and computers. Everyone seemed friendly too.