Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

Amazing stay! The staff is really helpful! and the free tours are amazing! The road to hana tour is a must, it was beyond all of my expectations! We went to red and black sand beach, swam through underwater lava tubes, jumped off a cliff, eat at local restaurants along the way! :)

Loved it!

• 6th Mar 2015

I love Banana Bungalow. The free tours are great and it feels like home. The dorms are really good. There are a lot of bathrooms and a big kitchen. I enjoyed my stay there.

• 4th Mar 2015

Disgusting place. Allow drugs in room. Staff did accommodate me by letting me sleep in a single room one night so I didn't have to sleep in my car. Don't stay here unless you want to party and/or don't care about cleanliness. Also, don't let the free tours lure you into staying here… they fill up way too fast; rent a car in case.

• 3rd Mar 2015

Thank you for the feedback! Cleanliness is important to us and we are renovating four of our bathrooms to be even better! We tend to have a social atmosphere (most people's favorite thing!) but we certainly do not allow drugs in rooms or on the property. I remember speaking with you and believe you had an issue with people drinking alcohol in your room. I can understand that but certainly would not classify it as drug use. We wish you the very best on the remainder of your travels!

I've experienced a very friendly atmosphere here at banana bungalow. Everyone was friends with everyone here. The tours they have everyday show you a lot of great gems here that Maui has to offer that most tourists might oversee. Definitely see myself coming back here. It was the complete Hawaiian experience

• 3rd Mar 2015

Great place to stay in Maui, very friendly staff, great common rooms, big kitchen, good people. I will be back!

Very fun hostel to stay in, to meet people, to go on group trips. The location is in a pretty bad area but if you have a car it's no problem. The staff was really nice, welcoming. The room was pretty and clean while the common areas were pretty dirty. However, the nice atmosphere makes it up !

• 2nd Mar 2015

I loved staying here. It felt totally welcoming and almost like a family away from home. The staff/community made me feel like more than a tourist and I especially appreciated their knowledge of what was around. Just wish I could have stayed longer!

• 28th Feb 2015

I absolutely loved my stay at the Banana Bungalow! The room was clean and comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Everyone definitely helped us to have such a magical time in Maui! I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to visit Maui and explore the most beautiful spots around!

• 24th Feb 2015

This hostel is the best one I have stayed at so far on my six months of traveling! The staff and facilities (hot-tub, pool table, barbecue grill, amazing common area) here seem to have found the very essence of what a hostel is all about. Free tours every day takes you to the local places of Maui and when you return to the hostel in the end of the day there is always something fun to take part of. Aaand there is free beer every friday! Clean sheets and kitchen facilities are excellent.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Denmark

Party hostel, unfortunatley you need a car to get to the nice beaches and around. No lockers in room, tours are nice but not for free, you have to tip the driver 15-20$ and you can't go on a tour every day because the signing list for the next day will be published right after the tour bus for the day leaves so by the time you get back from your tour the trip for the next day will most probably be booked out already. Kitchen was big, they do have laundry machines, PCs,billiard table and hot tube

We only stayed 1 out of the 3 nights we reserved. The first night, strong winds blew the roof off the hostel and heavy rain caused our private room to flood. The staff were helpful but were unable to offer us any viable alternative accommodation. The island was packed, and this left us in a terrible position. After some arguing, we were given a full refund and crashed on a friend's couch for the rest of our stay. It seems to be a nice place but they need to improve their infrastructure.

Very fun and lively atmosphere.

• 31st Jan 2015

Do not be fooled by the "free" tours. This grotty hostel is in the middle of nowhere, useless staff and cockroaches called it their home. The tours are flawed, if you don't make it onto the list you are stuck in the backend of nowhereville with nothing to do. I'm sure that's why people were boozing at 9am. I ended up hiring a car everyday in order to A) see the island and B) do it in a civilized fashion. The constant drinking and drug smoking was not my idea of fun. DO NOT DO IT.

Aloha, I'm so sorry to hear you had a negative experience at the Bungalow. Our tours are in fact free, though we do suggest you tip the tour guides at your discretion. If you don't make it on tour, we are located right next to a bus stop that can take you anywhere you want to go on the island! We want our guests to enjoy Maui however they see fit and for some, a drink at 9 AM is just that! If you stay with us in the future, I'd be happy to address any concerns you might have. Mahalo!

There are only 8 showers for everyone that stays there, was always waiting to get in the shower. Cleanliness wasn't bad but wasn't great. Location was ok. Bus stop about 15 min walk and Safeway about 20 min walk. Tried to ask staff a few questions about how to get around and told me to "use Google". However the tours and the social atmosphere defiantly make up for where other places lack.

Aloha! I'm glad you enjoyed our one of a kind Bungalow atmosphere! Our staff does their best to be helpful and I apologize if one of us didn't know the answer to your question and had to resort to Google. Just goes to show how much there is to do in Maui that no one can know it all! I hope you consider staying with us in the future and meet even more fun and interesting travelers and backpackers!

Just too expensive for what it is

• 10th Jan 2015
  • Austria

A bit pricey but worth it. Great atmosphere, everyone gets to know each other. They get a keg on Fridays, feels like living in a college dorm. Didn't get to take advantage of the tours but they all looked great. Highly recommend.

• 7th Jan 2015

Dirty kitchen, dirty room and very dirty bathrooms - including cold water sometimes. Despite that, staff are OK. Oh! And somebody stole 3 of my apples which was on the public fridge.

Great place to meet people and have fun. However, the location is a bit far from the water, if one is looking to swim. But, it's somewhat close to Iao Valley. Renting a car or hitch-hiking is your best bet!

Fantastic hostel with amazing staff! Would recommend to anyone :)

• 23rd Dec 2014