Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

I had the most fantastic time at this hostel!! The staff were unbelievably friendly and helpful, definitely the best hostel I've ever stayed at!! Everyone was so fun andd welcoming, it felt like you could have known them for years. The hostel was also always clean andd well kept

• 29th Jan 2016

Nice place, good atmosphere, friendly staff. Location close to the airport, but not close to the beach, which might be inconvienient if don´t have a car.

• 20th Jan 2016

Minus the showers not having any warm or hot water and parking was a bit difficult to find after 7pm, the hostel was livable. Nothing fancy, nice town, close to airport

My husband and I , both in our 60's, slept great, even going to bed before the music downstairs stopped. Showers were great, single person shared down the hall. Good Old Macks Earplugs . The private room we used was situated at the far corner from the public area, on the 2nd floor....the ideal spot. Very smart. We enjoyed the young folk on the day trip to see kanapali and Lahaina, we snorkels, saw turtles. And he guide was a very organized young man. Deserved our $20 tip!

• 18th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

pros: people are amazing, bathrooms cleaned every morning, free pancakes coffee and tea, free tours, helpful and friendly staff Some things need to become better though: maybe offering some fruits in the morning, cleaning of bathrooms maybe also in the evening when everybody showers Second van was broken at the time of our visit however they managed to take as many people as possible. Since there are not many opportunities on Maui and the vibes are sooooo good I would definately recommend it

All around a good stay. Staff was decent (assistant manager and also some of the more temporary employees were fantastic). Facilities were pretty clean, though the entire place could use a good once over. Things are easy to miss. Clean showers and restrooms were appreciated! As a business owner, my main advice would be to reinvest some of the income (there is substantial income, obviously) and make it the best place on the island - because it has the potential to be. New tile looks great! Thn

Aloha and thank you for the feedback! We will be sure to keep a better eye on the little things we might miss as we strive to be as clean as we can be! Thank you for the fellow businessman advice, we will be sure to keep investing in ourselves as you do! Mahalo and best of luck on your future travels.

This hostel was the last hostel during my round trip an it was definitely the worst! The price for the double room is unjustified! The room stinks, the kitchen is really dirty, our food was stolen (the excuse from the Hostel Worker "some People don't have Money to Buy Food ). and the showers were always cold! Stay away if you would like to have a nice vacation.

Aloha and thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed as we strive to give the best experience to all our guests! I've checked your room and there doesn't seem to be any strange smells so perhaps it was a little stuffy as the windows were closed. When you told us your food was stolen, I apologized and offered to replace what we could but you said it was no matter as you were checking out the next morning. I then offered to foot the bill for a breakfast in town for you the next day as well, but you said that you didn't want that either. Unfortunately we do our best to prevent these kinds of things happening but we don't have a security guard in our kitchens at all times and sometimes people are not as respectful of others' things as they should be. I agree this is very unfortunate and we do our best to minimize this by locking the kitchen at 10, keeping staff refrigerators separate and asking people to label their food clearly. We do apologize if you were getting a cold shower and have adjusted our hot water thermostats accordingly to make sure every guest can have a hot shower at any time of day! Mahalo for the feedback and best of luck on your next adventures!

Tour guides : awesome Staff at the hotel : soso at the reception

• 7th Jan 2016

-Overpriced for a "hostel" -Staff werent approchable, weren't too friendly either -Pretty sure staff was entering our room and turning our fan off - ?security/privacy -The complimentary breakfast, a bag of pancake mix, pretty lame

• 6th Jan 2016

I stayed for 2 nights without any problems. The staff were friendly and helpful. I did not participate in the many of the social activities, mainly because I had things planned before I arrived. However, if I would have been able, I would have definitely taken advantage of the free daily tours that were offered.

• 6th Jan 2016

Too many cats, and a really dirty place. Also too noisy!

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We have two outdoor cats (Jungle Cat and Jungle Kitty) that provide us with entertainment and occasional cuddles but we understand not everyone is a cat person so we apologize that you found them overwhelming! It is a struggle to find the perfect balance between the festivities that some people crave on vacation and the quiet solitude others seek but we like people to have fun so we apologize if you found that to be too loud! We do enforce quiet time at 10 pm. We do our best to keep things clean but will continue to try and be better!

Quiet time is too early

• 4th Jan 2016

This place was falsely advertised. It was completely overpriced and had pretty dirty facilities. Their "breakfast" was pancake mix that you used yourself to cook on dirty old dishes. They offer tours which are cool but you still have to pay for them so they aren't "free." They don't really control who comes in and out of there and there were some random older men that hung out and drank there on a daily basis. Aside from that there was a crazy girl working at reception who was so mean!!!

• 31st Dec 2015

Aloha. I'm sorry you felt misled in any way. Our website clearly outlines what to expect from our breakfast, pricing and tours but I'm sorry if you were expecting something else. Our tours are in fact free, but, as clearly stated on our website, there are fees for Hana and Haleakala national parks as well as the whale watching tour. Unfortunately, we don't own the national parks or a boat so we cannot offer those things for free but we still think our tours are a pretty great deal (a whole day of activities for just an $8 national park entrance fee, for example). The "random older men" were actually guests of our hostel as we do not think travelling should be limited to younger generations and welcome travelers of all ages. I am very sorry to hear you had any issues with our staff as we strive to be courteous, helpful and fun! We will be sure to address that in our next staff meeting to ensure that it does not happen again. Mahalo and best of luck on your next adventures!

One of the staff specifically was very rude and definitely not helpful - which as we talked with various other guest, we found out was perceived by most of them too. The hostel is mostly a party hostel, which was great for our new year there. Pancake for breakfast was only pancake powder that you can use to make them yourself. Location was quite away from beaches (closest one was Paia) and also not so close to airport

Aloha and thank you for the feedback! We apologize if you found any of our staff to be rude as we strive to be courteous and helpful always! We have addressed this issue to ensure it does not happen again. We are the closest hostel to the airport at 5 miles away where there also happens to be a great beach (Kanaha) that takes about 7 minutes to get to by car. Glad to hear you had a good New Years!

Staff was super nice & so was the outdoor hang out area - had a nice atmosphere to chill at night. Roommates were very inconsiderate and loud&obnoxious in the room super late at night. I think it's because they were super young. Average age was around 18-21. If you're a bit older and want to actually catch some sleep I suggest you go to the other hostel in Paia. Major shortcomming was how dirty /disgusting the bathrooms were. I almost puked when I stepped inside! Needs to be cleaned way more!

• 30th Dec 2015

Aloha and thank you for the feedback! We try to clean our bathrooms regularly and will be sure to do so even more! We ask for everyone's cooperation in keeping bathrooms clean and picking up after themselves but I can see how that might not happen sometimes and we will be sure to keep a better eye on them. I'm sorry that you had any trouble with your roommates. In the future, please feel free to see reception and we'd be happy to change your rooms or address the issue to make sure everyone is comfortable and able to sleep as well as have fun. Thank you again for the feedback and best of luck on your next adventures!

We found a bed bug crawling around on the floor under a bed, and when we took the sheets off the mattresses we saw lots of stains on both the sheets and the pad/cover. I suppose these things happen, but I think the sheets need to be more thoroughly cleaned. And the thin stained pillows are gross. Can you get new ones with nice covers to protect them? Or at least give them a solid washing? And moving the shower curtain rod higher would cause less pooling. And plastic bath rug would be nicer.

• 26th Dec 2015

Aloha and thank you for some great suggestions! We encourage anyone who suspects bed bugs to see us immediately as we do not take the issue lightly and have spent thousands of dollars and man hours putting stop gaps in place! We checked your room and didn't see any signs of an issue. Bed bugs are generally not found just crawling around open areas (they like to hide which is what makes them so annoying!) so I suspect you might have been seeing something else! We clean and wash all sheets but will be sure to keep a better eye on them. And we did just invest in many new pillows to replace any past their prime. Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the Bungalow!

The bungy is the bomb. Such an awesome hostel with equally awesome staff! stay here if you know what's good for you. the tour guides are particularly friendly

• 21st Dec 2015

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We like our tour guides too :) Best of luck on your travels and hope to see you again in the future!

very good wifi-availability. 💪👍

• 21st Dec 2015
  • Switzerland

Glad to hear you were able to access wifi well!

The free trips are such fun and the people and staff are very friendly and welcoming. Couldn't ask for a better hostel to stay in.

• 16th Dec 2015

So happy you enjoyed your stay! Hope to see you again in the future.

Had a fantastic stay at the hostel, the daily tours are a great asset to the hostel as guests get to see much of the island! The hostel was very clean and friendly, would definitely stay again and recommend it!!

• 15th Dec 2015

Thank you for the kind words and glad to hear you enjoyed our friendly atmosphere! Hope to see you again in the future!

« first « Prev 1 2 3