Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

On Friday they had a free keg and burger night, which was a blast, and cut the music at 10, which was perfect because we were still able to get rest night to be fresh for island adventures the next day. The perfect balance of fun and sleep. And who doesn't love free burgers and beer and good island vibes?!

Great Atmosphere, great people, perfect to meet new people and perfect if you don't have your own car. They do different tours everyday! Lively Atmosphere, never boring- go to breakfast early enough, otherwise all the good pancake are gone!

Good place to meet international people. Staff people are very nice and helpful. Located near the airport ( taxi U$ 20). My Dorm bed wasn't really comfortable, receptionist office opens at 8 am. Call them to compare prices ( online booking website and theirs on-site).

• 29th Apr 2015
  • Peru

Amazing place, cool staff, free tours every day and party every night. The Bungalow is more than just a hostel, it's a backpackers wonderland.

BEST VACATION EVER - staff was amazing, great tours daily, can't wait to go back!

• 21st Apr 2015

I love this place!! Great vibes! Party party party. Dan the tour man. Free breakfast, free keg night (booze and food on Fridays), free tours (tip your tour guide and get in dans van), large kitchen area, bbq, hot tub, hammocks. Large outdoor space (does need some tlc maybe some more features and modernisation but that's down to the owner). Great hostel especially if you're travelling alone/ in small groups and need somewhere to meet people. Would deffo return!

The door of the room is not logged and there are no loggers or something like that. And the bathroom is dirty.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Switzerland

Aloha and thank you for the feedback. All our rooms have locks on the doors. I checked the room you were in and it has a deadbolt that works so I apologize if you had trouble locking it. Next time please see reception so we can show you how to lock the door! We also have a safe for anyone to lock up any valuables. We wish you the best on the remainder of your travels and hope you come stay with us again!

Nice hostel with a great atmosphere, very friendly staff, and fun activities. A bit rough around the edges where some facilities appear old but usually kept clean. A great place to meet other people, either on the tour or over drinks at night. Location is not near any beaches or major sights but can be easily accessible by public transport.

The hostel is poorly maintained, their restrooms and bathrooms are very small and look unclean. The roof also looks old neglected place and general area looks neglected . The aspect of them that they could not get more vehicles to take us to the Hakeala mountain was unacceptable to me having come all the way to go to the mountain and they fail to do so despite saying on their website they do so. Today, i am still very pissed off.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Kenya

Thank you for the feedback! We did have a major storm blow off our roof which has since been completely redone and repaired. I believe you had the rare misfortune of being on a tour where we had an issue with one of our vans. Unfortunately, if we are unable to safely take everyone on a trip we must cancel. We did offer an alternate tour that day but I understand the frustration. I hope you get to visit us again and get the full experience without the glitches out of our control!

The banana bungalow is the nexus of all friendship and fun in the universe. The staff will blow you away with their personalities and the tours are one of the funnest things I've ever done.

• 31st Mar 2015

Cool hostel, common garden is a fun place to hang out during evenings. Common showers downstairs are not great, but the private bathrooms upstairs are spacious and have good showers. Staff is quite chilled out and friendly. The only thing is, the reception shuts down at 11pm and it's hard to find anyone to help after that, which is confusing if you arrive late. A good place to stay nonetheless.

Great spot. Fun, close to the airport, with plenty to do at the hostel plus free tours daily.

Aloha Zach! So glad to hear you had a good time! Hope you come see us again soon.

I had an amazing time at the bungalow! Funky atmosphere, friendly staff, free trips around Maui. I took the Saturday tour to Haleakala Volcano and it was fun trip and an excellent view. I definitely recommend anyone who comes to Maui to check out the Banana Bungalow.

• 20th Mar 2015

Clean up bathroom s Property could be tyder Overbooked Front desk staff more clear and organized

• 19th Mar 2015

Amazing stay! The staff is really helpful! and the free tours are amazing! The road to hana tour is a must, it was beyond all of my expectations! We went to red and black sand beach, swam through underwater lava tubes, jumped off a cliff, eat at local restaurants along the way! :)

Aloha Annie! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay (and you are right, the Road to Hana is definitely a favorite!) Good luck on the rest of your travels and hope to see you again soon!

Loved it!

• 6th Mar 2015

I love Banana Bungalow. The free tours are great and it feels like home. The dorms are really good. There are a lot of bathrooms and a big kitchen. I enjoyed my stay there.

• 4th Mar 2015

Disgusting place. Allow drugs in room. Staff did accommodate me by letting me sleep in a single room one night so I didn't have to sleep in my car. Don't stay here unless you want to party and/or don't care about cleanliness. Also, don't let the free tours lure you into staying here… they fill up way too fast; rent a car in case.

• 3rd Mar 2015

Thank you for the feedback! Cleanliness is important to us and we are renovating four of our bathrooms to be even better! We tend to have a social atmosphere (most people's favorite thing!) but we certainly do not allow drugs in rooms or on the property. I remember speaking with you and believe you had an issue with people drinking alcohol in your room. I can understand that but certainly would not classify it as drug use. We wish you the very best on the remainder of your travels!

I've experienced a very friendly atmosphere here at banana bungalow. Everyone was friends with everyone here. The tours they have everyday show you a lot of great gems here that Maui has to offer that most tourists might oversee. Definitely see myself coming back here. It was the complete Hawaiian experience

• 3rd Mar 2015

Great place to stay in Maui, very friendly staff, great common rooms, big kitchen, good people. I will be back!