Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

The door of the room is not logged and there are no loggers or something like that. And the bathroom is dirty.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Switzerland

Aloha and thank you for the feedback. All our rooms have locks on the doors. I checked the room you were in and it has a deadbolt that works so I apologize if you had trouble locking it. Next time please see reception so we can show you how to lock the door! We also have a safe for anyone to lock up any valuables. We wish you the best on the remainder of your travels and hope you come stay with us again!

Nice hostel with a great atmosphere, very friendly staff, and fun activities. A bit rough around the edges where some facilities appear old but usually kept clean. A great place to meet other people, either on the tour or over drinks at night. Location is not near any beaches or major sights but can be easily accessible by public transport.

The hostel is poorly maintained, their restrooms and bathrooms are very small and look unclean. The roof also looks old neglected place and general area looks neglected . The aspect of them that they could not get more vehicles to take us to the Hakeala mountain was unacceptable to me having come all the way to go to the mountain and they fail to do so despite saying on their website they do so. Today, i am still very pissed off.

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • Kenya

Thank you for the feedback! We did have a major storm blow off our roof which has since been completely redone and repaired. I believe you had the rare misfortune of being on a tour where we had an issue with one of our vans. Unfortunately, if we are unable to safely take everyone on a trip we must cancel. We did offer an alternate tour that day but I understand the frustration. I hope you get to visit us again and get the full experience without the glitches out of our control!

The banana bungalow is the nexus of all friendship and fun in the universe. The staff will blow you away with their personalities and the tours are one of the funnest things I've ever done.

• 31st Mar 2015

Cool hostel, common garden is a fun place to hang out during evenings. Common showers downstairs are not great, but the private bathrooms upstairs are spacious and have good showers. Staff is quite chilled out and friendly. The only thing is, the reception shuts down at 11pm and it's hard to find anyone to help after that, which is confusing if you arrive late. A good place to stay nonetheless.

Great spot. Fun, close to the airport, with plenty to do at the hostel plus free tours daily.

Aloha Zach! So glad to hear you had a good time! Hope you come see us again soon.

I had an amazing time at the bungalow! Funky atmosphere, friendly staff, free trips around Maui. I took the Saturday tour to Haleakala Volcano and it was fun trip and an excellent view. I definitely recommend anyone who comes to Maui to check out the Banana Bungalow.

• 20th Mar 2015

Clean up bathroom s Property could be tyder Overbooked Front desk staff more clear and organized

• 19th Mar 2015

Amazing stay! The staff is really helpful! and the free tours are amazing! The road to hana tour is a must, it was beyond all of my expectations! We went to red and black sand beach, swam through underwater lava tubes, jumped off a cliff, eat at local restaurants along the way! :)

Aloha Annie! Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay (and you are right, the Road to Hana is definitely a favorite!) Good luck on the rest of your travels and hope to see you again soon!

Loved it!

• 6th Mar 2015

I love Banana Bungalow. The free tours are great and it feels like home. The dorms are really good. There are a lot of bathrooms and a big kitchen. I enjoyed my stay there.

• 4th Mar 2015

Disgusting place. Allow drugs in room. Staff did accommodate me by letting me sleep in a single room one night so I didn't have to sleep in my car. Don't stay here unless you want to party and/or don't care about cleanliness. Also, don't let the free tours lure you into staying here… they fill up way too fast; rent a car in case.

• 3rd Mar 2015

Thank you for the feedback! Cleanliness is important to us and we are renovating four of our bathrooms to be even better! We tend to have a social atmosphere (most people's favorite thing!) but we certainly do not allow drugs in rooms or on the property. I remember speaking with you and believe you had an issue with people drinking alcohol in your room. I can understand that but certainly would not classify it as drug use. We wish you the very best on the remainder of your travels!

I've experienced a very friendly atmosphere here at banana bungalow. Everyone was friends with everyone here. The tours they have everyday show you a lot of great gems here that Maui has to offer that most tourists might oversee. Definitely see myself coming back here. It was the complete Hawaiian experience

• 3rd Mar 2015

Great place to stay in Maui, very friendly staff, great common rooms, big kitchen, good people. I will be back!

Very fun hostel to stay in, to meet people, to go on group trips. The location is in a pretty bad area but if you have a car it's no problem. The staff was really nice, welcoming. The room was pretty and clean while the common areas were pretty dirty. However, the nice atmosphere makes it up !

• 2nd Mar 2015

I loved staying here. It felt totally welcoming and almost like a family away from home. The staff/community made me feel like more than a tourist and I especially appreciated their knowledge of what was around. Just wish I could have stayed longer!

• 28th Feb 2015

I absolutely loved my stay at the Banana Bungalow! The room was clean and comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Everyone definitely helped us to have such a magical time in Maui! I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to visit Maui and explore the most beautiful spots around!

• 24th Feb 2015

This hostel is the best one I have stayed at so far on my six months of traveling! The staff and facilities (hot-tub, pool table, barbecue grill, amazing common area) here seem to have found the very essence of what a hostel is all about. Free tours every day takes you to the local places of Maui and when you return to the hostel in the end of the day there is always something fun to take part of. Aaand there is free beer every friday! Clean sheets and kitchen facilities are excellent.

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Denmark

Party hostel, unfortunatley you need a car to get to the nice beaches and around. No lockers in room, tours are nice but not for free, you have to tip the driver 15-20$ and you can't go on a tour every day because the signing list for the next day will be published right after the tour bus for the day leaves so by the time you get back from your tour the trip for the next day will most probably be booked out already. Kitchen was big, they do have laundry machines, PCs,billiard table and hot tube

We only stayed 1 out of the 3 nights we reserved. The first night, strong winds blew the roof off the hostel and heavy rain caused our private room to flood. The staff were helpful but were unable to offer us any viable alternative accommodation. The island was packed, and this left us in a terrible position. After some arguing, we were given a full refund and crashed on a friend's couch for the rest of our stay. It seems to be a nice place but they need to improve their infrastructure.