Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel Reviews

310 N. Market St., Wailuku, Maui, Maui, USA

I arrived on a Friday night; free keg night. The party was in full swing and pretty wild. Other nights are more chilled out. The neighborhood is a little sketchy, as gangs are a thing around there. That being said, guest security is always paramount. The free tours are definitely the highlight of this place. Sign up fast or find someone to hitch a ride with and follow that tour van.

I actually had an awesome time in Maui. The people are really really nice and fun! The cleanliness could be so much better though! The kitchen isn't really clean and the bathrooms in the mornings are gross. There is dirt and hair everywhere.. The free tours are just awesome and you get a lot to do. All in all I had a great stay, and if it would be so much more clean I would come back!

• 21st Aug 2015

Very friendly and lively atmosphere. Management effort and responsiveness to the guest needs were excellent. Recommended for young age group who are looking for a lively location where they can meet new people and have fun while staying in the hostel and enjoying Maui's fabulous nature.

• 19th Aug 2015

Good place. Bit of an odd location. Not near the beach, in suburbia therefore there is no noise after 10pm every night. Atmosphere is awesome. Do not leave your drinks around, they will get taken

• 17th Aug 2015

Perfect for people who just wants to have fun on their vacation and aren't afraid of a little dirt. Really good tours every day, which made my stay there awesome! Fun and friendly staff. Not recommended for anyone with high/medium standards on cleanliness and hygiene. Aside from that, a really cool and unique place!

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

Great vibe, tours organised every day by the hostel for free, social/interactive staff.

• 14th Aug 2015

I was to stay at Banana Bungalow for a week. My first night there, the room was too hot to sleep in. The next day, I bought ice packs to surround myself and a personal fan to mack it more comfortable. By the next afternoon, I had become extremely sick and went to the emergency room. From there, I was informed I needed surgery and spent the rest of my stay in Maui in the hospital. I have asked for a refund since the women in my room say they rented out my bed, but haven't even got a call back!

• 5th Aug 2015

Dirty, bad location, to hot to sleep. Party place for 20'.

Aloha! Thank you for the feedback. We are centrally located in Maui, close to the airport and comprehensive bus system! We also offer free daily tours, taking you places even commercial tour operators do not go. Wailuku is not the typical tourist town but is filled with great shops and restaurants. It has indeed been a hot summer in Maui and you are not alone in noticing that! We work hard to stay clean but I'm sorry we did not meet your expectations. Mahalo and safe travels!

If you want to party this is the place to be. The staff are all really friendly and the tours are great but it's pretty over priced for what you're getting, we were originally in a tiny shared dorm but hated it so went into a private double for a fair bit more money. It can get pretty dirty though and there's not enough ammenities for how many people stay there. Overall the atmosphere was amazing and you'll meet some fantastic people but don't expect a good nights sleep.

Aloha! So glad to hear you had fun! Our priority is guest satisfaction and we know a big part of that is the atmosphere and HAVING FUN! Maui unfortunately comes with a "paradise tax" and tends to be expensive. Our prices are very competitive , and we offer so much more including our FREE DAILY TOURS! We appreciate the feedback about cleanliness and are implementing new systems and procedures to ensure the hostel meets cleanliness expectations. Thank you for the feedback and safe travels!

Amazing tours, very nice staff. Kitchen closes way too early, not much to do around the hostel.

This is a really cool hostel for having a great time! However the management could put more effort into cleanliness and facilities

The tours and the staff was just amazing!!

• 14th Jun 2015
  • Switzerland

Room and commom areas cleaning can improve.

Simply speaking - amazing experience.

All in all this hostel is not bad if you dont care about a clean and hygiene place! the restrooms are terrible and if you dont wear boots you will probaly walk/stay in pee while your brushing your teeths! the room was almost clean, but there is nothing wrong with the rooms.Staff was weird, as it seems that half of the used beds were Staff members - so no one really knew whos working there and who not. that was strange! location and offers were good! Kitchen was dirty and someone ate my food!

• 9th Jun 2015
  • Switzerland

The bathrooms were very dirty and not enough and had mold growing in a lot of places, renovation is necessary

• 26th May 2015

This was one of the greatest places I have ever stayed. A true Hawaiian experience in Wailuku,Maui. The staff is absolutely great. Tour man Dan is a absolute delight and will go out of his way to make sure you have a great time. The manager, Azi, is passionate about the hostel she runs and is great at making sure people are respectful/having a great time. Truly a amazing place, with amazing people, and amazing free tours. Go there, see for yourself, you will agree. BANANA BUNGALOW EVERY TIME!

• 24th May 2015

Best Hostel ever! The tours are amazing and super fun! I got to see so many breathtaking places. Thanks again to the super cool staff. The atmosphere is just unforgettable. I would go again to the BB anytime!!

Great hostel and staff! Different tours every day with two awesome tour guides, Dan and Cat. Allows you to really experience Maui without having to rent a car. The beaches are only reachable by bus or car, otherwise. Great atmosphere here as most people chill and drink in the backyard. Which is good as there's no real bar scene in Wailuku, at least none that are open past midnight. Highly recommend Banana Bungalow!

On Friday they had a free keg and burger night, which was a blast, and cut the music at 10, which was perfect because we were still able to get rest night to be fresh for island adventures the next day. The perfect balance of fun and sleep. And who doesn't love free burgers and beer and good island vibes?!