Banilah Reviews

11 Sotesueksa Road., Changphuek, Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Lovely hostel with amazingly lovely staff. Loved the towels, the detailed maps, and the free bicycles! ONLY gripe is that it's a little far from the main area of the city, but those brave enough to brave the traffic on a bicycle or strong enough to walk there should be fine. Thanks for a lovely stay :)

Make sure the bathroom screen is completely shut or cockroaches and lizards will come inside.

• 26th Jun 2014

Staff is fabulous - most attentive staff we have encountered yet. Spent 20 minutes at the beginning of our stay outlining where to find things in the area and around Chiang Mai. Helped us book a tour and set up tuk tuks which we really appreciated !

Ob and Pun(sp?) were awesowe! I never write reviews but they deserve it. The place is just outside the city center and there are plenty of options around to eat cheap (30-40baht). They clean and remake the beds daily and provide complementary bottled water daily as well as shampoo and soap. Also have a security gaurd at night who watches the place for added security. Ob even gave us ponchos and a banana when we took off for a day on scooters. Banilah was great!

Absolutely loved staying here, very friendly staff. One of my favorite places I have stayed while traveling.

• 10th Jun 2014

I really enjoyed staying for 5days. Rooms are so clean and staff are so helpful. A little bit far from old city but you can lent a motor bike 250b per a day. There is a thanin market near this hostel and so many cheap but delicious thai restaurant also. Staffs leave the hostel after 8p.m so it could be little bit a problem. But it's really great hostel to stay!

Everything about Banilah was amazing. It was not the most modern hotel with AC, but honestly that doesn't even cross your mind when you're there. Ap and her cousins are the most wonderful hosts - I have never felt more at home and by the end of our stay I would have followed any and all advice they had to give. From places to eat, motorbikes, buses out of town and entertainment, there wasn't a single thing they didn't help us with. I would come back here in a heartbeat and recommend other do so.

• 1st Jun 2014

The host is very nice, patient and helpful

This place was great. The staff was amazingly kind and the location allows you to see a different side of Chiang Mai. You could still walk to the old city to explore there but the immediate neighborhood is filled with local vendors and cheap markets. Vendors aren't trying to seek you out for your money in this area. The staff are very helpful in booking things, giving you directions and maps to the cities, and making suggestions for what to do, but aren't pushy, just available for help!

The owners are fantastic very helpful but above all they care about you as if you are family. they gave us plenty of very useful information. which meant that we got the most out of our stay. They also booked our trek and stored our luggage of no cost. When we returned or heavy backpacks were back in our room waiting for us, the accommodation was more like hotel with soft towel, fresh soaps & water. would highly recommend this lovely place.

An excellent budget guesthouse. It's a little out of the way from the Old City, but Chiang Mai is easy to get around by bike, tuk-tuk, etc., and there's plenty of stores, restaurants, and a market around the guesthouse. The staff was extremely helpful, and the common room lent a more hostel-like feel to the guesthouse and had beautiful, clean cats. I was unaware, however, that I had booked a room without AC. It was fine, especially since there were two fans, although keep that in mind.

Absolutely fantastic stay here, amazing staff, very clean and secure. Would be good if you could offer one or 2 simple dishes for times when you want to rest in some evenings

• 20th May 2014

Banilah is not located centrally (you walk about 15 min to the old city, 20 min to Nimmanhaemin rd.), but this actually made it more interesting as you could see more of the real chiang mai. The staff was amazing, helping you a lot with great maps and other questions! Really enjoyed our stay here!

Staff is extremely helpful. Staying outside the old city also gives you a taste of local life and go where they hang out. Highly recommend this!

Stayed here for 4 night and it was so nice! They really make you feel at home. The staff is awesome and so good! Best hostel I have ever had and i've been travelling for 2,5 months now. Had a great stay!!

This hostel is more like a hotel . Upon arrival the owner cordially invites you with herbal tea then gives you 3 maps of Chiang Mai and tells you the best way to travel around the city and the correct prices you should pay for everything. This is one of the best hostels that I've ever stayed at and. would highly recommend it to any traveler .

Stuff was quite nice! They gave us a lots information and help!

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Taiwan

Can honestly say this is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in, in the last 10 months of travelling. The staff are AMAZING!!!! When we arrived the owner sat us down and devised us a map showing us the best (cheapest) places to go. The hostel is not right in the centre but this was ideal as we got to explore so many more places we wouldn't have done if we were in tourist centre! They also sell amazing coffee and their attention to detail is second to none leaving notes in our pillow.BRILL

This was the best experience I've ever had. Banilah is a reasonable walk away from the old city, but the staff and facilities more than make up for that. The staff is incredible! When I checked in, the lady who owns the site gave me an incredible orientation about the city. She even made some great recommendations for food- the best I had in two weeks!

Best place I stayed in 10 days in Chiang Mai. Great value, nice clean individual rooms with en suite showers. As soon as I got there the owner (Ap?) sat me down for half an hour with a few printed out maps and asked me all about what I wanted to do in the city and gave great recommendations. Based on TripAdvisor other tenants have had the same experience. Excellent location as well - can walk to the Old City but is also close to the cool cafes near the university (don't miss Ristr8to Cafe!).