Banilah Reviews

11 Sotesueksa Road., Changphuek, Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand

We really enjoyed the time at Banilah Hostel. Thank you for your help to plan our trips. The room was nice and clean. Not in the City Center, but we liked the non-touristic surrounding. We recommend Banilah to everyone !

• 28th Jul 2015

This place is great value for the money, not too fancy but with everything you need, well kept, and with lots of nice little touches, like homemade soaps that smell delicious. The best thing about it--and worth the small drawback of it being a little bit of a hike from the more happening parts of town--are the women who run it, who are incredibly kind and go out of their way to be helpful. If you're looking to be close to the party this is not the place, otherwise I cannot recommend it more.

Excellent excellent excellent staff. They sat us down when we got here and highlighted everything we needed to know on a map. They helped plan all our day trips and we're very knowledgeable in general about the area and always had suggestions on things to do and places to eat. There were laundry facilities next door and great breakfast around the corner at nana's. The location could be better, twice our taxi drivers got lost. Bathroom is outside your room on the porch and the locks are not good.

The staff here are absolutely amazing. As well as having incredible local knowledge and recommendations, they will bend over backwards to help you in any way they can. Rooms are nice and clean although the locks on the doors don't seem very secure. Location is a decent walk from the old town so would recommend using the complimentary bicycle hire otherwise you will get very tired.

One of the best hostels I've stayed at. The staff is so friendly and helpful! They provided everything I needed to know in order to explore Chiangmai. Their map tour is extraordinary! Detailed and extremely easy to understand, even a directionally challenged person like me managed to avoid getting lost. The staff made my stay in Chiangmai one that I'll never forget. I would definitely recommend Banilah to anyone that want to fully enjoy Chiangmai.

The hotel staff were brilliant from start to finish and were really hands on in helping get to know the area and booking any tours. The only downside was that the main office closed at 8pm and didn't open again until 8am which left you a little stuck if you needed any questions answered.

Stayed at Banilah for 5 nights whilst exploring Chiang Mai. Thoroughly loved the hostel, the value for money was superb and the ladies that run it couldn't help you anymore! When we arrived we were given a talk about where the nearest markets and 7-elevens were. They helped us to book tours which were great value for money and I'd recomend! They gave us advice about taxis and tuktuks etc. They also gave us maps with different landmarks on in which they highlighted as they spoke about them.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Absolute best part about Banilah is the staff- the ladies at the front are SO nice & helpful + they speak great English. They helped us set up trips/book cars etc. fans/ac in rooms work great, nice to have our own room but not as lively as dorm style hostels ie no parties.15 min walk from city center but i prefer this- gives you a chance to walk the neighborhood and see more locals. Beds are a little firm/showing some signs of age, but overall great- close to street food/cafe/laundry/7-11.

A fridge would be useful in order to store water and snacks. Washing facilities would be great too so that clothes can be washed quickly and very convienient for backpackers. Lack of aircon was a major problem as the rotation of the fan was very noisy, would be better if you could have the fan fixed on the bed. Also the bathroom was very basic and the water can turn randomly extremely hot. These things were manageable for a few days and we still had a great stay.

Nice boutique style hotel, a little bit out of town but if you're looking for some peace and quiet this is the place to go!

• 12th Jul 2015

Absolutely amazing hostel. The staff went above and beyond their way to greet us, show us the best local eateries and provided us with extremely detailed maps. You girls were the best!!! A bit far from the old city but didn't consider it a problem at all. In fact, it was more of a blessing providing us with a much more immersive experience. Thank you so much for everything!!

Loved this hostel! It's away from the touristy area, yet it's easy to access. It's near some good food and you can meet plenty of sociable locals in the area. It's not much of a social place since the common area closes at 8 pm, so you have to meet other people during the day. The ladies are FANTASTIC! Help you with everything and I couldn't ask for anything better. I love how they diagram the city with a map, which is handy! I highly recommend this place! Great Thai tea too! :-)

Best Hotel I stayed in in 1 months of travelling! Great staff!

Staff were the most helpful we had in Thailand. Offered lots of suggestions but never told us what to do. There are cats in the office too :) Room was decent, nothing special.

This was one of my favorite hostels in SE Asia! It made me feel like I was living in a spa - the facilities are beautiful and the little details are great, such a cute little soaps in the room everyday. The staff is so friendly and helpful, such as their Chiang Mai recommendations. The rooms are extremely clean and comfortable, and we always felt so safe. The location, even tho it's relatively close to the main sights, is in a very local part of Chiang Mai - you barely see tourists!

nice and helpful staff with good english; confortable bed with cool fan, doesnt feel hot even without a/c in the room; best part is it is a cat cafe! many lovely cats inside! love it!!!

It's worth it for the price I've paid to get a private single room, though the shower room with toilet being outside the bed room.

Having the shower head face the toilet paper meant it was hard to keep it from getting soggy. Overall it was a great stay - amd the staff were the most helpful and kind of any hostel I have stayed at. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a quiet place, close to the old city, and with a great atmosphere.

• 25th Jun 2015

A very nice place. The staff are very lovely and they help you with everything. They have the best Ice Thai Tea. Location is 15 min walking to the city center but you can borrow bikes for free. I would stay here again. Loved it.

We had the most wonderful stay here in Chiang Mai! The staff were wonderful and helpful with all of our questions (from getting around, bookings, calling tuktuks and taxis for us, and finding laundromats, etc.) and gave a really thorough and authentic introduction and mapping of the city when we arrived-- make sure to check out all the places they recommend as they are locally run and cheap and super awesome. We loved it here so much we extended our stay from 3 to 11 nights!