Bantry Bay Guesthouse Reviews

9 Brompton Ave, Cape Town, South Africa

Our stay at Bantry Bay Guesthouse was fantastic. Ed was an amazing host, very welcoming and friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable with a cool African inspired decor. The communal kitchen area was also always spotless. The location of the guesthouse is great, as its a quick walk to the myciti bus stop which takes you pretty much anywhere in Cape Town. We found this really helpful as it meant we didn't need to hire a car until we wanted to travel further afield. 100% would return thanks Ed

• 18th Apr 2015

WE ENJOYED OUR STAY,BUT MISSED HAVING A LOUNGE AND TV

• 3rd Apr 2015
  • South Africa
  • Couple, 41+

Perfect place for a quiet, relaxed holiday. Very good value for money. Great host and location outside the city centre. Close to the beaches, shops, restaurants, MyCity bus stop to get around town. Easy walk to Clifton beaches. Enjoyed my stay very much and will certainly be back.

Very short: We had a wonderful stay at bantry bay guest house and can recommend it very much. A bit longer: Our host welcomed us upon arrival and gave us good tips for the area as well as reliable (!) weather forecast. The room was spacious and had lots of storage space. It was nicely decorated. The area is very safe, supermarket and public transport reachable by foot within 5 mins, lots of free parking. UBER taxis are widely available and cheap if you wanna go have drinks in the city (5km).

The two guys who run this place are great and this is probably the cleanest and quietest guest house that we´ve ever stayed in. I agree with a previous commenter that staying here feels like you´re staying in someone´s house, which can be nice but can also be tiring. The one complaint that I have is that there is a kitchen but the stove is off limits to guests. The point of a kitchen is to eat cheaply but unless you can microwave all your food, the no stove sort of defeats the purpose.

Hi , Thank you for your kind comments. Regarding the use of the stove in the kitchen, we are a guesthouse and not a self-catering establishment, but we allow the use of the kitchen for making your own breakfast in the morning. Most of our guests prefer to eat out as there are an array of lovely restaurants for all budgets and tastes within walking distance. Most of our guests appreciate the the absence of smoke- and cooking smells, which are part of our clean, quiet formula.

It feels like home

I will return to Ed's guest house. It caters to the peaceful environment I prefer. I love the Afrika inspired modern interior decorating. The MyCiti busroutes are so near. The Ocean is 4 blocks away. Lovely restaurants, malls and ATM's are all around. Definitely a gem in the maize of guest houses. It is an upper class backpackers which does not take away anything from it's guest house status. Not for the noisy party-types.

• 14th Oct 2014
  • South Africa

Ed is a wonderful guest and received us with all the information we needed and a clean and cozy room. This is a quiet place, as explicitly stated everywhere, so don't expect anything like a hostel with people coming and going and noises waking you when you need to rest. I will definetly go back to Cape Town and will definetly stay at Bantry Bay Guesthouse again.

• 6th Oct 2014

The host was extremely kind and willing to give advice on things to do and places to go. There was also a nice selection of brochures available. The biggest emphasis was on keeping the noise down, so if you enjoy peace and quiet, this is a good place. Otherwise, if you're a noisy person, maybe this isn't for you. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and had no issues whatsoever.

• 21st Sep 2014

Great guest house. I was the only guest at the time (it's quiet in winter I suppose) so was upgraded to a double room. Had my own entrance and a beautiful bathroom with shower in the room as well. The host was great, even though I just stayed for 2 nights. The area is safe and quiet, a short walk to restaurants and supermarkets. Not a place for party people, but for those - like me - who wanted a couple of quiet nights away from the party kids!

warm welcome, good advices on area and on what to do in surroundings

I highly recommend to anyone who is looking for somewhere like home. Very quiet neighborhood and close to Camps Bay, which was my second address almost everyday. Alan is a top guy. If I'll ever been to Cape Town again definitely will stay here again. Not your thing if you don't want to bother yourself by being quiet and respectful to others at nights.

• 9th Jan 2014
  • Turkey

We had a wonderful time in Bantry Bay Guesthouse. Ed and Alan were very welcoming and helpful. We stayed in the en suite room which had lots of character and felt homely and cozy. Everywhere was clean and well maintained. The location is in a save neighborhood, close to the beach and the shops. There is a bus top a the end of the road and it is easy to get to the city centre. We will definitely come back again.

Damp cellar. A-beautifully-designed-with-attention-to-detail-and-good-stuff-in-it damp cellar, but still a damp cellar. We like spacious rooms with volume, so I booked this since it said "ceiling fan" on the web site. It was a small shock when we arrived that our room was without ceiling fan (because it would have cut the head even of my wife if she stood up in the room) but instead a small room with low to the ceiling. Only the two non-en suite rooms should be high-ceilinged with fans.

This guest house is in a great location with friendly staff and clean rooms. I will definitely return.

• 2nd Dec 2013

Staying at Ed's House feels like being at home! We had really great days in Cape Town!

• 17th Nov 2013

Very happy we chose to stay at Bantry Bay Guesthouse while we were in Cape Town! Ed was very helpful before we arrived, providing directions etc and while he wasn't there when we stayed, his friend David was great. The guesthouse has a very chilled out feel, as does the neighbourhood and our room was quiet and had a nice big comfy bed! The location was great - although we had a rental car so getting around was easy.

Ahhhh Cape Town, how I miss thee. But above all, I miss our cozy little joint called Bantry Bay Guesthouse! If you are someone or a couple that like peace, quiet, comfort .... this is the best place in Cape Town. The location is great, as cabs/buses are super cheap, and it's a quiet area with loads of awesome restaurants by the beach area! The host, Eduard, is a phenomenal man. Went out of his way to help with loads of stuff .... can't thank him enough! Thanks Ed for an awesome time!

Awesome change of pace, we stayed here due to a week of mayhem on long street, and thought it would be better to chill for a bit than die! Great house, clean, comfy beds and it feels good to wake up in the morning and walk into a real kitchen and brew a proper coffee. Forces you to explore a different area of Cape town too, which was great, awesome restaurants and bars in this area. The owner was cool, give you plenty of space and advice if you need it.

We had a lovely stay at the Bantry Bay Guest House, and found Ed very welcoming and happy to help with information about facilities etc. The Guest House is close to everything you need including the bus which takes you downtown Cape Town and back very easily. It's also very quiet there and we felt extremely safe. Would recommend the Guest House to anyone wanting to stay within that area.

• 16th Sep 2013