Barra Beach Club Oceanfront Hostel

9.2
Superb 1270 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 18-24
13th Feb 2017

Not sure where to begin - I originally booked for two nights and ended up staying for nine. Dorms great, all secure with lockers, and each bed has its own light and plug socket. Staff so friendly and helpful, always making sure you're having a great time! Easy to meet other travellers and the parties you go to are insane. The food provided by the hostel is delicious (and comes with a free caipirinha!) My favourite hostel in South America, can't rave about this place enough.

• Australia, Male, 25-30
12th Feb 2017
7.1

I don't understand how it won best hostel in South America. Pros-location close to beach, friendly staff, free surf boards, great bar and socialising Cons- dirty, no air conditioning, dirty kitchen and just old

Hey! I felt I needed to respond as your comment is a bit rude, and not just to myself but to the hundreds of former guests that stayed with us, sent in their reviews, and gave us the honor of being #1<https://hwhelp.hostelworldgroup.com/hc/requests/1> in SA. Our Guest Kitchen was literally installed brand new this past August. I have 4 cleaners that have been with me for many years that do their job very well. We have a sign in the kitchen that says, "Your mom doesn`t live here. Please wash your dishes and clean up after your done". Did you wash your dishes? Not sure what your cleaning standers are, but don`t give the impression that my hostel is dirty and old. It is not. You also said " no air conditioning". We do. Our 3 privates have. The 10 bed that you reserved does not, as explained in HW website. I guess you didn`t read that. So anyway Trent, glad you liked the amazing ocean views, awesome staff, uncommon free use of surfboards and our always enjoyable TOWER bar and restaurant .... Take care, Jim

10th Feb 2017

Very good hostel. The view from the bar over the bay is fantastic. And the food from the kitchen is the best I've had a from a hostel for a very long time - tasty, big portions, and not expensive. Good party atmosphere. Don't use the surf school the Hostel recommend - use Nexus surf school half way down the beach. Best surf school I've used around the world and the same cost as the hostel one.

• England, Male, 18-24
5th Feb 2017

The hostel has a good atmosphere and the staff are very friendly. The club nights the staff suggest aren't great and the transfers are overpriced compared to an uber. The public rooms lack air conditioning and are very humid. The bar serves meals which are lovely and cost around £8 each. There is no atm within 30 minutes of the hostel and they have additional card fees. The hostel has surf boards which you can rent but they're too short for beginners. Despite this, it's a great hostel though.

28th Jan 2017

Amazing staff with vibrant energy and willingness to go out and party with you (missing Maiya already). Amazing onsite chef with excellent healthy and savoury options for all tastes and allergies. Semi-private beach with solid waves just out in the back yard. Chill vibe here. Great clubs for dancing a small communal cab ride away. I would definitely go back. Made some great friends. Friendly spot for solo back-packers. Be careful about the P12 party - very expensive/superficial.

• England, Female, 25-30
22nd Jan 2017

Amazing view, friendly staff, great food at reasonable prices. One minor issue was that I was staying in the female dorm but on my second night they placed a guy in the bunk above me - I wasn't overly bothered by it but it was strange that none of the girls in the room were asked whether they minded before he was moved in, indeed it was only when I brought it up the next day that it was acknowledged. Highly recommend any of the 4 bed dorms in any case!

Hey Rebecca! The reason Rafael was placed in your room was that he is transgender. Was a tough call for reception but i feel it was the right one. Glad you had a good time during your stay with us, take care and have fun! JIM

• England, Male, 25-30
18th Jan 2017

Best hostel I've ever stayed at. Staff are seriously wonderful people. The location is perfect. The view is insane. I can't say enough good things.

• Germany, Male, 25-30
27th Dec 2016

Nice hostel in a cool location. Appreciated the free surfboards and the breakfasts with oceanview. Overall a great choice though a bit overpriced. Would go back.

• Ireland, Male, 31-40
24th Dec 2016

I spent Christmas here and it's felt like home expect it was warm good people great food beach within meters what's not to like !

• England, Couple, 25-30
24th Dec 2016

dont read another review or view another hostel.... just stay here.