Barra Surf Hostel Reviews

Angelina Joaquina dos Santos, 90, Barra da Lagoa, Florianopolis, Brazil

Loved the hostel!! Surely I will go back! Only two blocks away from the beach, very clean, quiet but with good vibe to meet cool people! Thanks to Rodrigo for all the recommendations of places to visit and indications of how to get there!!

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

Great hostel with really friendly owners. It has everything you need including a really good breakfast. The location is close to shops, restaurants, beaches and a bus stop. The only thing it really lacked was an atmosphere, but maybe this was because this time of year is quieter. Good if you want to relax by the beach. Would recommend.

This is a nice little hostel in Barra da Lagoa, friendly and helpful people.

This hostel was nice - good for quiet time, but maybe better for a slightly older clientele or if you just want to chill. There were shops/internet cafes/restaurants/beaches/a laundrette nearby but there wasn't so much liveliness. Breakfast was varied - yoghurt and cereal plus the usual bread/ham. The bathroom was big and there were working temperature controls on the showers. No computers were available or a reception area. Rod and Marion were lovely....it just didn't quite feel in the mix.

I went to Florianopolis to surf. That was my whole mission. I stayed at several surf hostels and I really didn't find them very surf friendly. When I went to Barra Surf and stayed with Rodrigo it was completely different. He recommended me a great place to rent a board and they took care of me because they knew him personally. He even went surfing with me one day and we had a blast. Rodrigo and his wife are owners that love having guests and it shows. Boas ondas amigo. Ate o ano que vem!

We had a great stay at Barra Surf Hostel. The owners and staff were very friendly, the facilities were great and also very clean. The rooftop was a great place to hang out at and meet others staying at the hostel. The hostel was also conveniently located in the centre of town, close to the beach, shops and a bus stop. Highly recommended!

Good: location just a few blocks off the beach, friendly owner, comfy beds. Bad: room felt a bit cramped, not much space, there weren't lockers in the room, and it felt a bit hot (fan but no ac), there were times where there was no paper in the loo, and it all felt a bit messy. Oh, and they charge extra if you pay by card. Summary: if you want to be close to the beach and get to know people, this is a good hostel. If you need some greater comfort, maybe not so much.

Combined, we've stayed in over 100 hostels in our time. Barra Surf Hostel is one of the best in the world! Rodrigo and Marianne treat you like one of their family. They went above and beyond to help us resolve a delayed baggage issue, ensure that the hostel was fun (BBQs!) and clean, and that all of their guests feel important. We could not recommend this hostel any higher, and will do so whenever we get the chance if someone mentions they are on their way to Flori! Thanks Rodrigo and Marianne!!

Owned by a great couple who made a effort to know their guests. A very chill hostel located close to the beach and great facilities. One of the best breakfasts as well. If you are traveling by bus look up the number of the bus before or at the bus terminal because it does not say in the directions. Great hostel for a great and relaxing beach town.

Very nice hostel walking distance from the beach. Staff was very friendly and helpful so were the owners. Breakfast was very good. I highly recommend this hostel.

It was a great start on the trip, I felt at home instantly. I will go back the next time I visit Floripa and pray for one of those bbqs again. Thanks for having me and making me feel welcome, finding peace aswell as relaxation. Thankfull regards Joakim

• 27th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Very nice and familiar place. Great ubication and amazing people.

• 16th Jan 2015
  • Argentina

YOU MUST STAY WITH RODRIGO AND FAMILY!!! Our stay at Barra Hostel was fantastic!! Rodrigo and Mariane made our stay super comfortable, giving us more than enough information on things to do and places to go as well as throwing an AMAZING (and cheap!!) NYE dinner! We would recommend for anyone to stay here as they have rooms for friends, singles and couples! WE cannot thank Rodrigo and Mariane enough. Love Bec, Sean, Sam and Rachel.

A really wonderful guesthouse, the staff are lovely, welcoming and very knowledgable and able to organise things for you, not to mention the guy at the bar makes a mean capirinha. It's more of a quiet hostel and the dorms, clean bathrooms, great breakfast with fast computers and wifi, close to shops and bus terminals.

I loved staying here, the owners are super helpful and friendly and you can hear the beach from the balconies which have an amazing view and a BBQ that can be used by guests. A good surf beach is so close by, as are natural rock pools and nice walks. Thank you for all your advice and kind assistance!

• 6th Dec 2014
  • El Salvador

Staff was really helpful and nice. Good breakfast, the upcoming juices will make it even better. Very nice room and balcony.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Sweden

Had a wonderful time in this nice hostel. Breakfast is included (and it is very rich and tasty as well), however Hostelworld suggested sth different... Sometimes there is even a churrasco (bbq) in the evenings - make sure not to miss that one!

• 24th Nov 2014

Great straff, makes you wanna stay forever. Close to the beach and free surfboards at the hostel. Clean and nice rooms and bathrooms. I would definitely go back!

• 22nd Nov 2014