Barra Surf Hostel Reviews

Angelina Joaquina dos Santos, 90, Barra da Lagoa, Florianopolis, Brazil

One of my favourite hostels in South America, Rodrigo makes a great effort to make sure that everybody is happy, including hosting a superb barbecue!. Perfect location, you are two minutes walk from the beach, shops/restaurants, bus stop, etc. Great atmosphere, the communal areas decent and ideal for meeting other travellers and doing some communal cooking, a game of cards, chess (give Rodrigo a game!), chill out with a movie, etc. Could have easily stayed here longer if not for my flight.

• 30th Apr 2015

Hi Thank you for staying with us.... give me a chess game!! you beat me up 6 times in the row lol. You are a great guest and very cleaver. Good luck

Very good little hostel. We had the double room with ensuite which was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was amazing. The staff, including the owners Rodrigo and Marianne, are very friendly and helpful. Barra da Lagao is a beautiful spot :-)

Rodrigo and Mariane make this hostel a home from home! A fantastic hostel if you are looking for a very chilled vibe, right by the beach. I loved the small size which made it easy to make friends and hang out with everyone, which Rodrigo encouraged by having fab BBQs. The breakfast is the best I had whilst travelling (in Brazil and Argentina). You can borrow surfboards to head down to the beach, and I also went sand-boarding ! Also shout-out to Ana and Chrysoula for keeping it so sparkly :)

• 2nd Apr 2015

Loved the hostel!! Surely I will go back! Only two blocks away from the beach, very clean, quiet but with good vibe to meet cool people! Thanks to Rodrigo for all the recommendations of places to visit and indications of how to get there!!

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

Great hostel with really friendly owners. It has everything you need including a really good breakfast. The location is close to shops, restaurants, beaches and a bus stop. The only thing it really lacked was an atmosphere, but maybe this was because this time of year is quieter. Good if you want to relax by the beach. Would recommend.

This is a nice little hostel in Barra da Lagoa, friendly and helpful people.

This hostel was nice - good for quiet time, but maybe better for a slightly older clientele or if you just want to chill. There were shops/internet cafes/restaurants/beaches/a laundrette nearby but there wasn't so much liveliness. Breakfast was varied - yoghurt and cereal plus the usual bread/ham. The bathroom was big and there were working temperature controls on the showers. No computers were available or a reception area. Rod and Marion were lovely....it just didn't quite feel in the mix.

I went to Florianopolis to surf. That was my whole mission. I stayed at several surf hostels and I really didn't find them very surf friendly. When I went to Barra Surf and stayed with Rodrigo it was completely different. He recommended me a great place to rent a board and they took care of me because they knew him personally. He even went surfing with me one day and we had a blast. Rodrigo and his wife are owners that love having guests and it shows. Boas ondas amigo. Ate o ano que vem!

Great breakfast!

We had a great stay at Barra Surf Hostel. The owners and staff were very friendly, the facilities were great and also very clean. The rooftop was a great place to hang out at and meet others staying at the hostel. The hostel was also conveniently located in the centre of town, close to the beach, shops and a bus stop. Highly recommended!

Good: location just a few blocks off the beach, friendly owner, comfy beds. Bad: room felt a bit cramped, not much space, there weren't lockers in the room, and it felt a bit hot (fan but no ac), there were times where there was no paper in the loo, and it all felt a bit messy. Oh, and they charge extra if you pay by card. Summary: if you want to be close to the beach and get to know people, this is a good hostel. If you need some greater comfort, maybe not so much.

Combined, we've stayed in over 100 hostels in our time. Barra Surf Hostel is one of the best in the world! Rodrigo and Marianne treat you like one of their family. They went above and beyond to help us resolve a delayed baggage issue, ensure that the hostel was fun (BBQs!) and clean, and that all of their guests feel important. We could not recommend this hostel any higher, and will do so whenever we get the chance if someone mentions they are on their way to Flori! Thanks Rodrigo and Marianne!!

Owned by a great couple who made a effort to know their guests. A very chill hostel located close to the beach and great facilities. One of the best breakfasts as well. If you are traveling by bus look up the number of the bus before or at the bus terminal because it does not say in the directions. Great hostel for a great and relaxing beach town.

Very nice hostel walking distance from the beach. Staff was very friendly and helpful so were the owners. Breakfast was very good. I highly recommend this hostel.

View all Florianopolis Hostels