Barra Surf Hostel Reviews

Angelina Joaquina dos Santos, 90, Barra da Lagoa, Florianopolis, Brazil

A very nice hostel. Very close to the beach. Probably the hostel for you if you want to learn how to surf. The staff are people that seem to be very serious about surfing, and they are very nice too. If you come at the winter time, most of the stores (Except for some supermarket and a place to buy fruits) will be closed. Also there is no ATM around, so come prepared. There is a bus that shows up occasionally that can take you to Florianopolis. Rodrigo, thank you for the cab, it saved us :)

The standard, atmosphere, and overall vibe of this place goes beyond words. It's special and you meet the exact people you resonate with. Like a cosmic magnet for the best kind of people. Are you one of them?

• 3rd Aug 2015

One of my favourite hostels in South America, Rodrigo makes a great effort to make sure that everybody is happy, including hosting a superb barbecue!. Perfect location, you are two minutes walk from the beach, shops/restaurants, bus stop, etc. Great atmosphere, the communal areas decent and ideal for meeting other travellers and doing some communal cooking, a game of cards, chess (give Rodrigo a game!), chill out with a movie, etc. Could have easily stayed here longer if not for my flight.

• 30th Apr 2015

Hi Thank you for staying with us.... give me a chess game!! you beat me up 6 times in the row lol. You are a great guest and very cleaver. Good luck

Very good little hostel. We had the double room with ensuite which was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was amazing. The staff, including the owners Rodrigo and Marianne, are very friendly and helpful. Barra da Lagao is a beautiful spot :-)

Rodrigo and Mariane make this hostel a home from home! A fantastic hostel if you are looking for a very chilled vibe, right by the beach. I loved the small size which made it easy to make friends and hang out with everyone, which Rodrigo encouraged by having fab BBQs. The breakfast is the best I had whilst travelling (in Brazil and Argentina). You can borrow surfboards to head down to the beach, and I also went sand-boarding ! Also shout-out to Ana and Chrysoula for keeping it so sparkly :)

• 2nd Apr 2015

Loved the hostel!! Surely I will go back! Only two blocks away from the beach, very clean, quiet but with good vibe to meet cool people! Thanks to Rodrigo for all the recommendations of places to visit and indications of how to get there!!

• 2nd Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

Great hostel with really friendly owners. It has everything you need including a really good breakfast. The location is close to shops, restaurants, beaches and a bus stop. The only thing it really lacked was an atmosphere, but maybe this was because this time of year is quieter. Good if you want to relax by the beach. Would recommend.

This is a nice little hostel in Barra da Lagoa, friendly and helpful people.

This hostel was nice - good for quiet time, but maybe better for a slightly older clientele or if you just want to chill. There were shops/internet cafes/restaurants/beaches/a laundrette nearby but there wasn't so much liveliness. Breakfast was varied - yoghurt and cereal plus the usual bread/ham. The bathroom was big and there were working temperature controls on the showers. No computers were available or a reception area. Rod and Marion were lovely....it just didn't quite feel in the mix.

I went to Florianopolis to surf. That was my whole mission. I stayed at several surf hostels and I really didn't find them very surf friendly. When I went to Barra Surf and stayed with Rodrigo it was completely different. He recommended me a great place to rent a board and they took care of me because they knew him personally. He even went surfing with me one day and we had a blast. Rodrigo and his wife are owners that love having guests and it shows. Boas ondas amigo. Ate o ano que vem!

Great breakfast!