Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Cleanliness of general areas and bathrooms were terrible! Plus there were people in the adjoining room blaring music and base all night, not the best experience.

Queues for checking in and out are ridiculous. Up to an hour just to do so! I stayed in the sanctuary (all girls) which was a little more expensive and each guest had had different offers but all paid the same. Most got towels, complimentary shampoo and with a promise of champagne in the morning but I had nothing! Also, no windows!

Everything u need for a freshly arrived backpacker.

Busy at check in time, thus a bit of a wait which is fine. However when it's your turn, a little bit more information on the hostel would be beneficial ie. how to use the key, services available etc. The girl greeting everyone was lovely. Room was not ready on arrival, garbage and linen piled up in front of elevators is not a nice sight on arrival to your level. One female toilet was working for the entire level, the other disgusting with toilet paper everywhere and water overflowing.

They managed to mess up our booking both days we stayed there and the wait for reception was ridiculous!

Best hostel I've stayed at in Auckland! Friendly staff, very clean, central location, absolutely no negatives come to mind!

Disgraced with overall management of the place, days being woken up by staff asking you to check out because ether have double booked your noon without any notice atall or ever any remorse for actions taken. Food service was horrendous as they were often out of over 50% of the menu. Was that bad i left a day early as my stay wasn't enjoyable in the slightest.

• 1st Feb 2015

I have stayed at quite a few Base hostels in Australia and even lived at one for 3 months but this has to be the worst. The layout of the hostel is awful as its all on levels, the cleanliness was awful. I booked to stay in a female dorm when i first arrived which i paid alot more for, expecting a really clean and modern room. I was put into a dirty room with no windows. 2nd time i stayed 1 week later, they messed up my booking but did upgrade me!

It was really expensive, but a decent place to stay

Loads of people, long queues at the desk, the rest was ok.

500 beds- too big to my liking. My room has no window.

Some 8 bedroom rooms were a little small, but that didn't bother us much. when I entered the room I saw three people playing a game of cards and I joined in. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and it is in a great spot for getting to go to tour buses or down onto the main drag of Queen St.

Hostel war gut Top Lage und Ausstattung hilfsbereite und freundliche mitarbeiter. Nachts auch mal laut, Frühstück und WiFi muss extra bezahlt werden Waschmaschinen auch. Nice hostel, nice people, Top area in the centrum many Bars and restaurants around good facilities with Job and travel agency, (Job is 100$ membership) Laundry, WiFi, breakfast not includet. Is mostly clean showers are hot, price is first night cheep but every extra night to expensive.

• 29th Jan 2015

Staff at Base were not fun and friendly as you would expect staff to be at hostels. There was always a huge lineup at reception and it always seemed as though you were inconveniencing them with questions.

The rooms where absolutely discausting, even after a room change it still wasn't like it should be. By far worst base hostel I've seen so far.. A disappointment

The place is nice, the location was the high point of it! Staff was friendly since almost all of them are actual backpackers working for accommodation! Bathroom could use some more frequent cleaning though.. and they definitely need more fridges in the kitchen since I couldn't find a spot to put my stuff! Overall, good money value if you want a cheap and comfortable place to stay in Auckland!

The rooms with windows are good but the queues for reception are terrible

One of the better Xbases with lots of discounts & free extras. Common rooms, gym, & work space are added bonus. Facilities are hit & miss though (great kitchen but terrible bathrooms & lounge). The wifi was excellent with coverage to rooms. Rooms were very good with beds & power points. Needed fixes are: TV lounge is broken & old, showers do not drain. The staff is also a bit slow and we had to wait for an hour to check out.

Just stayed there for one night to get my flight on the next day. Nice and clean hostel. I just didn't like that they didn't have any windows in the room I stayed in. The blonde girl who checked me in was really nice.

We stayed in a private room, and for the cost it probably wasn't worth it compared to other hostels slightly out of the cbd area. The staff were generally nice and the toilets and showers were kept to a decent standard. There's a bar under the hostel which can get pretty noisy so be warned if you're not up for partying! The best feature is the location, minutes away from everything.

« first « Prev 1 2 3