Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

I enjoyed my stay in Auckland, however I didn't find the staff at the reception desk very friendly or approachable. The girls that I dealt with answered my questions as though I was stupid for asking. Neither of them smiled or had a welcoming approach... The bathrooms weren't cleaned there was hair and band aids on the shower floor (for more than 2 days) Auckland was a beautiful place and their set up is great, it was just a shame about the people as I'm sure the rest of the staff are lovely

• 6th Feb 2016

This is the worst hostel I've stayed in. The rooms are not clean and the staff was not very friendly.

Great hostel, cool people, great location. Very clean, convenient, and safe.

• 29th Jan 2016

We booked a private room with a queen bed. Once we entered the room we first noticed that the blanket on top of the bed was covered in hair, skin, and white mystery spots. We were disgusted by the top blanket so we pulled it off carefully only to notice that the sheets beneath were only slightly more clean. We had a bus out of Auckland four hours after our arrival at the hostel so we toughed it out for a few hours, showered and checked out of the hostel. We were extremely disappointed.

• 27th Jan 2016

Good location. Wouldn't say value for money as the room had no windows, it was a bit like a cell. However, it was clean and it did state budget room. Security was good, can't get to dorm levels without a key card. Nice, big kitchen and comfy area with pool table. Friendly reception staff, would stay again.

I've stayed in 23 hostels & BASE hostel was by far the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. 1st, when I first arrived only 1 person was behind the counter for 30+ people waiting. I got my room assignment (the wrong room), wasn't given a map nor told anything about the city, then I got my correct room and the building was falling apart. The bathrooms were the worst I've ever seen- I even took pictures to show front desk! Mold everywhere- hadn't been clean for days. No trash can- no soap. Sta

The room felt like a prison cell, With no windows and a very dark bedroom. The room however was very well air conditioned this would be the only positive. There was blood or dark red circles on the sheets and odd looking stains on the mattress. Then there was the bathroom which i'm 90% sure didnt get cleaned the whole time we were there for 3 nights. There was dirt and a toothpick in one shower that had not moved the whole time, pool table sucked would not recommend this place.

Very basic hostel - you get what you pay for. But it was comfortable and in the city Center with parking nearby which was great

I stayed at Base for three nights while in Auckland. The rooms are decently vented and the beds are relatively comfy. However, the bathrooms were unclean and worn out. The showers are the worst for water going hot and cold, and there is not much space for putting your stuff which often gets wet from a lack of a shower curtain. The carpet in the hallway was always wet (possibly from a leak?). Internet did not work on 4th floor either. I would not stay again unless I had to.

Not the most expensive, not the best. They offer a lot of info about work and trips, which is good. Location is good as well. Staff wasn't very friendly. Bathrooms filthy. It's ok if you need a cheap night. Better to go elsewhere if you'd like to spend some more time in the city. Beware of your stuff. Silly things like earplugs, eyemasks and food got stolen from me and my friends, by Some extreme cheapskates.

Bathrooms very dirty

I complained about my mattress, ridiculously thin compared to everyone else's in the room, no response from the hostel as of yet. Extremely uncomfortable nights sleep.

We paid for a private room and received toiletries and fluffy towels! Nice surprise! Friends in dorms had a few bad experiences so def worth the upgrade.

• 11th Jan 2016
  • Wales

We stayed in a 4bed dorm room, which was quite small with old, broken beds, but at least it had a window :) Bathrooms were dirty. The fact that you have to pay for wifi is beyond my comprehension. It seemed like a good place to meet people though, and the location is great, which is the reason why we booked this hostel in the first place.

Room without windows, showers and toilets in terrible condition. I knew this had bad reviews so I wasn't surprised, but had no choice and sucks it up for one night there.

• 11th Jan 2016
  • Switzerland

Very large and "industrial" hostel. Lots of people there, can almost always get a room. Bar on 6th floor is always a hit ,easy way to make friends. Habana Joes in basement is than most. This a party hostel at its core. Come here to find a party

massive social area and kitchen, loved it not too social, because of the size of the hostel friendly staff I'd say best hostel in Auckland!

Another chain Base hostel. Generally not a great experience, but limited good choices in Auckland make this place busy. Staff weren't all that helpful and it was quite dirty. Lots of long term stayers/workers in the rooms I stayed in made it difficult as a lone traveller.

Its just a big machine, people not welcoming at all, room dirty, really expensive regarding the quality...

• 4th Jan 2016

Fantastic facilities and location for visiting Auckland City. Not one for those looking to to get a good nights sleep however. It's very much a party hostel with thin walls and you can hear everything from the surrounding rooms... And I mean EVERYTHING. If booking a private room I would advise paying more for the deluxe ones as our had no window which was quite depressing. On the plus side the room had a fridge which is useful and the lobby floor kitchen and laundry are well equipped.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4