Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The hostel is on a perfect spot in the city, reception very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and tidy. Had a great time at base.

• 8th Apr 2014

Enjoyed my stay in this hostel. Made good friends with the girls in my room. The staff at the travel desk was really helpful, thanks Nikkie! The rooms were nice and clean. The showers were a dissapointment though, only one of three was working and not very well. Other than that, everything was good.

No windows in the rooms..feels like a prison!

For what you pay this place is great! Toilets and showers could do with a deep clean but overall very happy to stay here! Fantastic location for all your Auckland needs! I'd suggest paying the $2 to spin the lucky wheel too....Everyone is a winner!

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Scotland

Staff weren't the friendliest and there was a queue when checking which isn't a problem when the people at the desk call the next person in the queue when there free, this wasn't done and was upto the guests to approach them

Excellent Hostel - the best I have been to in Nz so far. Staff were very helpful and friendly - check in was quick and easy. The room was extremely tidy and clean with everything I needed. Great value for money. I will definitely be staying with Base Hostels for the rest of my 3 month trip in Nz! Highly reccomend!

• 4th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Had a lovely stay at Base Auckland and would definitely recommend. Kitchen is large but not really enough seats or tables. Staff were friendly and helpful!

• 4th Mar 2014

Stayed in 4 bed mixed, had a mini fridge and no windows, was ok for 2 night stay, but might get claustrophobic for longer stays. Key card didn't work the 2nd day (couldn't use elevator to get to room) so had to wait in line for 30+ mins to get it reactivated! Need better wait system so people don't cut in line. Would be great if there were more hangers in the showers. Didn't use the kitchen, mall on queen street had great/ cheap food options.

Great localization and good atmosphere, but the bathrooms should be better.

• 23rd Feb 2014

To stay at the base, it is quite nice, to work there for accommodation, I wouldn't. They actually asked me to fill this out and score them 100% as a part of the process of me being hired.. So the ratings might not be too accurate. Didn't enjoy most of my time there, lets just leave it at that.

• 23rd Feb 2014

Facilities were cleaned only with some dry clo and des infecting spray, Disgusting. Toilet floors haven't been cleaned with a wet mob, water and soap for months probably. When I told my concern to staff, they sent somebody immediately, but those persons didn't even have a mob with them. When I showed the cleaning staff what I meant and that they should use some wate for the floor, they told me they can't see anything dirty... I'm traveling for more than 15 yrs and haven't seen sth that dirty!!!

• Switzerland

Great for what I needed. It was good how there were signs up advising to keep the noise down after 10pm for early risers. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Bathrooms and room were clean.

• 19th Feb 2014

Biggest annoyances were the elevators (always a wait even with 3 and no stairs option), the long wait at reception

it was dirty, the room had no window, there were very cheesy shoes standing around on the corridor all the time of the stay (is there no cleaning-stuff around?) the room had no window and the aircondition was not regulatable... they have a huge wonderful kitchen, but it was so dirty, that i couldn't use it... no clean plates, pots or anything. food on the walls and on the floor. shroom-fridge was interesting to watch growing, but not save to open... smelly! i would never go there again!

A small stinky room with no windows and bad aircon. Toilets and showers - with the amount of people staying should be cleaned and fixed more regularly. Clean and white sheets though - that's a plus!

Staff very frienly,quite lenient on my group, cleaners were very good.

• 14th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Stayed here one night and that was more than enough. Showers on my floor were out of order and had to take an elevator to get to another set of bathrooms on the main lobby floor. No lockers in the room. Overall just a disgusting/dingy place. You're better suited staying somewhere else. A lot of people I spoke to said the Attic was nice.

On my first night, I could hear the bad pop music station blaring in the lobby from my room at 3am, but I was very happy that when I told the staff about it the next day they had it turned down. The location is very convenient and I had a good time at the bar downstairs.

Great location bang in the middle of town. Very clean, nice comfortable beds and crisp sheets, except for the kitchen which is a pigsty and smells pretty bad (mainly due to people not cleaning up at all). If you don't mind a soul-less atmosphere where none of the 500 or so people talk to each other and having to pay extra for every single extra facility (e.g. Wifi, computers, gym, baggage storage) then it's fine. Good for younger crowd who want to go on organised nights out.

Hostel was amazing! Staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms were the best yet of the hostels I've been to. Will definitely stay here again next time in Auckland!

• 22nd Jan 2014