7.0
Very Good 1,786 Total Reviews
7.0
Very Good 1,786 Total Reviews
Base Auckland Located at Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland.
New Zealand
Auckland 1010 Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street
70% 1786
-36.8497838 174.7645854
    Rooms available

• Canada, Female, 25-30
1st Dec 2016
5.4

Our room did not have a window, but it did have a weird crusted goop on a significant portion of the carpet, as well as a smell of ripe feet. The showers were also pretty dirty. We did not have a locker in our shared room and the cloakroom downstairs was not very secure. The staff was friendly, though.

• Austria, Male, 25-30
29th Nov 2016
4.3

Huge, dirty, impersonal. literally in a skyscraper across several floors. very basic, bad wifi and bad facilities. if you can in any way, stay somewhere else.

• USA, All Female Group, 31-40
28th Nov 2016
5.7

The staff were more concerned with socializing than helping check in guests. It smelled like cigarette smoke on every floor I visited (G,3,6,9), The no alcohol policy is ridiculous and only sporadically enforced. However, they didn't give me my bottle of wine back that I voluntarily handed over at check in. I'd like that refunded. Overall, not a great experience.

28th Nov 2016
3.1

Hostel was dirty, loud and packed. Showed up to bed where it was clear the sheets hadn't been changed (covered in hair) Part of the issue is they don't assign beds so you can chose whatever one in the dorm you want, and people will move from dirty to clean. Very loud, staff did little to help when people were screaming in the hall ways at 2am. Wifi Not free.. Unfortunately there is not much option for other places... I've stayed in hostels all over the world, this was disappointing.

• England, Female, 25-30
25th Nov 2016
7.1

It is a great central location and easy to get to places. The staff were very friendly and happy to help. However, a lot of the other backpackers were either overnight or long term so it wasn't a particularly social place to be staying. If you want social don't stay here. The showers were dirty but it was a clean bed for the nights I needed. I didn't extend my stay but would have changed hostels if was going to.

22nd Nov 2016
8.0

This is the assembly-line version of a hostel: focused on maximizing number of people/amount of money through the door. Staff are visibly indifferent to their work, wifi is expensive ($6/day or $18/wk), and the atmosphere is impersonal. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place and I have no real complaints, but it lacks the warmth and camaraderie you find in so many hostels.

• jessicakategannon5661
  • Australia, Female, 18-24
22nd Nov 2016
6.0

Base is in a fantastic location, very central to everything. There is also a rooftop bar that does cheap drinks and food. My issue was with the fact that I was not informed that my room had no windows despite paying for a deluxe dorm. That apparently means nothing because all room types can have rooms without windows. That plus the fact that the aircon was on existent meant that it was really warm and uncomfortable. I would have moved hostels if I was staying for more than one night.

• USA, Female, 18-24
20th Nov 2016
5.1

The hostel sounded great reading the description and looking at pictures online. It wasn't anything like it when I arrived. Also, the website promises services the hostel doesn't actually provide, like discounted Skybus tickets. The bathroom facilities were outdated and unclean. I paid extra for a deluxe female only room package and I didn't feel like I got any extra value from it. The room I stayed in had no window. No free wifi was a huge disappointment.

• USA, Male, 25-30
17th Nov 2016
5.4

Please ensure that there are no blood stains or urine stains on the bed sheets before distributing them to your guests. We understand that it is not your responsibility to guarantee your guests to have safe storage, but it should not cost extra. Nor should the storage closet be so easily accessible for anyone in Auckland to come inside and take anything they want. My iPhone was stolen. Additionally the rooms are insanely overpriced. I will be strongly advising others to steer clear of this site

• Australia, Female, 18-24
14th Nov 2016
5.7

Very average hostel. You have to pay for WiFi, coffee, etc. Was charged incorrectly for my stay and still have not been refunded the excess amount despite several emailing twice (staff at the desk promised a refund if I emailed). Room included towel however was told they had run out. Would not recommend.