Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The staff at this hostel were great. The walls of the rooms seemed to be quite thin, and after a night of no sleep thanks to some noisy neighbours, the next day the guys at reception just switched me to a new room with no hassle. The private rooms are quite basic and it has the worlds slowest lifts, but it's got a friendly bar on the 6th floor and the location is fantastic, as were the staff.

Worst hostel I have ever stayed in.

• 15th Mar 2015

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights and found it okay. The beds are horrifically squeaky and the rooms get quite stuffy but if you don't stay in them a lot it's okay!! Location is good, right on queen street. The attached bar is really nice too. Would have been nice to see more than one person on reception when 50 people check out though. It's not rocket science!!

We wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone. The only good thing about it is the location, but the staff is the worst, they don't care about any costumer and there is no love at all In this business.

The shower should be clean more often and the kitchen was a mess.

Big hostel, very unfriendly stuff ... Never go back into a base hostel

• 6th Mar 2015

Everything was generally kept pretty clean, but the amenities were minimal and the elevator situation is outrageous. I wish there was an accessible staircase.

Biraz yukarda kalıyor, odalar çok kötü havasız penceresiz ve barın üstü aşırı gürültülü uyumak imkansız.

Best backpacker I have been to. Will always go to base after this experience at base in Auckland

• 4th Mar 2015
  • India

The Reception is slower than a snail. It is just incredible that there is a line the whole day with a average waiting time of 30min, even at my check out at 7am i had to wait more than 10min. Another very annoying thing are the ridicoulus 6 fridges, little city and they provide 6!!! fridges. The sadest thing is that this could be improved very easy(more fridges and open not just 2 from 4 reception registers) but they don't really seem to wnat to.

Were locked out of our room and because of that we were refunded our full amount and aloud to stay for free. At the time i was really impressed with the customer service and how they reacted to the unfortunate situation. I was told id be refunded the deposit i paid within a week. It is now going on four weeks since i stayed and still no sign of a refund. Made several attempts to contact and on several occasions they didn't return my call. Not 100% sure what is now happening with that.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Okay place, hate the elevators though - you should be able to take the stairs up and save some time...

Excellent stay, friendly staff, fun atmosphere. We've already planned our next visit!

• 20th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Cleanliness of general areas and bathrooms were terrible! Plus there were people in the adjoining room blaring music and base all night, not the best experience.

One of the most unsociable hostels I have ever been to. The staff (except the cleaners) have no clue about customer service and are unhelpful, dismissive, rude and unwilling to help unless they would gain money from it. Terrible experience and would never go back.

• 17th Feb 2015

Queues for checking in and out are ridiculous. Up to an hour just to do so! I stayed in the sanctuary (all girls) which was a little more expensive and each guest had had different offers but all paid the same. Most got towels, complimentary shampoo and with a promise of champagne in the morning but I had nothing! Also, no windows!

Everything u need for a freshly arrived backpacker.

Busy at check in time, thus a bit of a wait which is fine. However when it's your turn, a little bit more information on the hostel would be beneficial ie. how to use the key, services available etc. The girl greeting everyone was lovely. Room was not ready on arrival, garbage and linen piled up in front of elevators is not a nice sight on arrival to your level. One female toilet was working for the entire level, the other disgusting with toilet paper everywhere and water overflowing.

They managed to mess up our booking both days we stayed there and the wait for reception was ridiculous!

Best hostel I've stayed at in Auckland! Friendly staff, very clean, central location, absolutely no negatives come to mind!

« first « Prev 1 2 3