Base Auckland

6.8
Good 1928 Total Reviews

• Canada, Female, 25-30
16th Feb 2017

Was only in the hostel to sleep, didn't even use the kitchen so can't give it a review as I didn't even see it. Got a free drink voucher with the room I booked (I think they call it female sanctuary) so went to the rooftop bar. Preferred the atmosphere of the bar next door. No real complaints.

• lauraabigale
  • England, Female, 18-24
15th Feb 2017
5.4

Staff were not very helpful, I arrived at 6.30am (when booking I told them this) and they would not give me a room until 2pm. Their check in time is 2pm, but I have not stayed in another hostel that doesn't try to accommodate you as soon as possible when arriving early hours. The staff were generally unhelpful with any questions I had. Rooms weren't kept clean, bed sheets were dirty and and the bathrooms were disgusting! Other than location I would not recommend this hostel.

12th Feb 2017
4.9

Probably the worst hostel I've ever stayed at. I had a 4 bed room and it was the smallest room I've ever seen. No room for people's bags at all just the beds. There is no AC and it is extremely hot and everyone basically had to sleep naked. The area outside the hostel didn't feel safe and I'm a male. The hostel itself was huge. Didn't seem like they had anyone to clean it EVER. Found used condoms in the showers and toilets paper all over the floors. Showers were alright but only 3 for many guest

• Netherlands, Male, 25-30
9th Feb 2017
6.6

Only two showers for 60+ persons. They weren't nice and clean either. Beds and dorm were ok. The door squeezed a lot

• Israel, Couple, 18-24
7th Feb 2017
5.7

We had a bad experience with the staff. A bit rude and not so nice. The room itself wasn't clean,and we asked several times at the reception to fix our beds until they actually came. There were Burger King cups on the floor, and bottom line- we had so many better experiences in other places.

5th Feb 2017
4.3

Hell on earth. Signs throughout the property warn no alcohol is allowed and threaten $200 fines for transgressions. But these, evidently, are idle and empty threats. I spent two nights in this place made bleak by the hellishness of other "guests" who cannot, apparently, behave in a civilized manner. My roommates spent most of the entire evening and night swilling vodka and copious bottles of beer while playing loud and dreadful "music" on amplified demonic machine. Once a decent place .. now not

5th Feb 2017
7.7

Too me personally this place was just way too big. People everywhere! I prefer an intimate hostel setting. Not really a fan of waiting in line to pee.

• USA, Female, 25-30
3rd Feb 2017
4.9

Aside from the great location, and the helpful staff, I cannot recommend this hostel. My floor reeked of beer and the music was blaring until 2am. It reminded me of trying to sleep in a frat. Thank god for ear plugs!

• New Zealand, Mixed Group, 18-24
2nd Feb 2017

Always a great stay at the base! Clean, modern - all the necessities are there.

• New Zealand, Female, 18-24
1st Feb 2017

Overall it was really good! The atmosphere was amazing!!! and being centred in the middle of town was super convenient! Down sides were the air conditioning in the rooms was non existent... we had to pin the door open so the air from the hall could circulate! Also the bathrooms (on our floor) could have done with a decent clean. Would stay here again though!