Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Room was a bit claustrophobic with no windows

Was really lovely, thanks for the great nights sleep.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Sleeping in a room without any windows feels a bit like sleeping in a closet.. there was space though, and it was not cold, so that was good. Toilets and showers would need a bit of refreshing I think. Only stayed for a night.

This is the best hostel in town! Staff are so friendly and its central location is perfect! Can't wait to go back!

I booked on hostelworld.com and later tried to change my booking (which hostelworld states i could do up to 24hours prior). When I called Base to change the booking i was told I had to give 48hours notice. Hostelworld.com are therefore advertising and selling a service that Base do not provide. Big lines at the reception every time i went there too.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Extra important info: -You need an elevator pass to use the elevator but don't need to go via reception which is great if you have your own room and want to bring a friend up -There's an alcohol ban in the hostel (including rooms). Which means no common areas to just relax, drink and socialise. Your only option is the underground club below the hostel (loud) -REALLY slow check in -Wifi $4 day/$12 week -$20 deposit on EACH roomkey Was great but would try dif hostel for better atmosphere

• 18th Sep 2014

This hostel should have more staff as there were around 20 customers every time I need assistance.

Be friendlier!!!

• 6th Sep 2014

Nothing in the kitchen works. Security doors don't work and I found a homeless man just walking about the floor once. Told the staff and they didn't do anything about it. The rooms are tiny and just filled with as many bunk beds as they can get in. Staff are unfriendly and not willing to help. They leave u to it and expect to find everything out for yourself. Had to ask where the kitchen, bathrooms, everything was. For the price they could do better.

It was a bit noicy from the bar above in the night - and some fresh air in the room was needed, since it didn't have any windows and the guys had been staying in there for several weeks, which made the air a bit tight. But apart from that it was good.

• 1st Sep 2014
  • Denmark

Although, I've been at the ACB one night, I spent an awesome time. Very good people, the staff very friendly, comfortable facilities and a great location. I highly recommend it guys!

• 31st Aug 2014
  • Argentina

The kitchen is horrific (not enough stoves, dishes, tables, room in the fridge etc.), the matraze had holes, the beds were really unstable, rooms are either freezing cold or boiling hot, there are some really weird people in the Hostel (Long termers) And some idiot stole my charger including adapter.

Expect if you ever need reception to wait at least 20 minutes. Slowest service ever. Atmosphere is very dry and sterile here. The only hostel I've stayed at that requires a 50$ bond before your stay along with a key deposit. Location is good right in the middle of the city.

Good place to stay...so long as you aren't in what's called 'the strand' which is a horrible place with garanteed noise all night long. The kitchen facilities are great so long as you get one of the working hobs. There's also what could be described as the resident dj (although isn't actually) who persists on hanging in the kitchen and playing snippets of loud RnB music and nothing more. Other than this, yeah it's a great place to stay.

Auckland is an odd place. It seems to be mostly people living in hostels while they work. I got put in a room with two old men in their 60s and one had household things with him (kettle, toaster, other weird stuff). They snored all night. It sucked. I asked to change rooms the second night and was told no. The toilets were a bit average, but usable. Ended up moving the second night to the one up on K Road which had a better atmosphere and was a bit smaller. Would not recommend for a solo person

Stayed for 1 night. The guy who checked me in was cranky and not friendly at all. Room had no windows. Would never go back again. Didn't like the atmosphere.

Sorry to hear that the person who checked you in was not friendly. Good customer service is one of the cornerstones of our philosophy here at Base Auckland. We usually receive very good customer reviews about the friendliness of our staff, so I am sorry that on this day we let you down. We will look into this and follow it up with the staff member. I hope you will stay with us again and give us another chance to show you the Base experience as it should be. Thanks again for the review.

It should be more friendly spaces, it's look to much like a Hotel and not a backpackers

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Chile

Know you get what you paid for but was surprised the carpet was damaged throughout the floor, from water and wear. The hair dryer also didn't work. The bunkbed ladders were difficult to get up and down due to high side bar.

Good party hostel for a weekend getaway. Right next to the sky tower, so location is perfect. I wouldn't mind the room to have a window to enjoy the view though:)

Hi, Thanks for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here, the bars we have on site provide great drinks deals and activities every night of the week. Good to know you made the most of our central location, with the whole city easily accessible. Our budget dorms do not have windows, which is why they are so cheap, but we also have dorm rooms with great views of Queen Street, Sky Tower and the Harbour. Hopefully you'll come stay with us again and experience them for yourself!

Great staff at the check in desk.Room was great for the cost,comfortable bed and really nice shower, couldn't ask for anything more! Will happily come back again.

• 22nd Jul 2014