Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The atmosphere was very gloomy with not a lot of friendly faces. The hostel was not what I expected. Less nice than expected.

• 1st Sep 2015

There was no window in the room that could be open just the A/C, so the air was not good and actually too hot during the night to sleep..

Convenient. Perfect for a cheap stay in central Auckland. Staff were friendly.

• 15th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Good things - great location - I met some great people in the dorm Not so good things -2 loud and drunk people coming in and out of the dorm all night and 1 urinated in the room -When I went to reception there was a confrontation in which someone had broken into someone's room and stole a wallet. After an altercation the wallet was returned.

I was only here for one night, but I was not totally impressed with the place. I'm not sure if it depends on who's your room mates. But my room was very unsanitary when I first walked in. I saw a turd on a bed, I wasn't sure if that was normal. So I put my stuff in my locker and walked out. As soon as I came back in, the turd was gone and my roommate was there lying on that very bed. The staff was very helpful though when it came to planning my tours in the bay of islands. Kudos to that.

I was here for four nights and every morning the showers were cold and other long stay guests said that happened frequently. On the day of check out when I came back to my room at 0930 my bedding was changed and all my stuff placed on the floor, what if I wanted to extend? And the rooms have no windows.

Room was great. Stayed in the girl sanctuary. Clean beds with enough plugs for everyone! No windows but not the end of the world. Showers were a bit grim, old and not within the sanctuary.

Had to pay $4 for slow wifi or $6 for fast internet, this is quite a substantial amount for backpackers who rely on wifi.

This hostel is way to expensive! Dorm room does not even has a window, smells funny in there. No free wifi paying on top for this ridiculous.

• 6th Aug 2015

The location was excellent and the cleanliness of the room was fair, as well as the cleanliness of the lobby, elevators, and check-in floor. Unfortunately, the bathroom facilities were quite old and dirty. The staff woke us up in the morning at 10:30 by entering our room without us letting them in, and they kicked us out of the showers in the morning because they thought that the "homeless" were using the showers. (Something they said happened often.) Needless to say we won't be staying again.

• 31st Jul 2015

The area immediately around this hostel is now full of homeless people, making Queen St unsafe at night. Staying in the sanctuary is absolutely worth it, particularly as being higher in the building made it quieter than previous stays on lower levels, so I got a much better sleep. A highlight was the cooked breakfast from the dashing Frenchman Sylvain, who is fun to tease over trying to make the perfect coffee. If you stay, totally have breakfast there too, bring a smile and enjoy.

I think that the Base crew are very nice to me and go the extra mile for me, & that Base Auckland is a bright, lively, exciting place to stay! Sanctuary is very lovely with very sweet treats from Base, for girls. : )

• 26th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

Great hostel. Location is brilliant. Friendly staff. Enjoyed my stay.

• 31st May 2015

Awesome place to stay really enjoyed my stay and the staff were amazing as well

• 22nd May 2015
  • New Zealand

Very clean and organized hostel. Location is perfect, and there's a bar downstairs.

Base Auckland is in a great location and the room was great. The staff were lovely and always willing to help.

• 7th May 2015

Base is in a great location on Queen st. The kitchen had everything you'd need. It was very clean, although our room didn't have a window which wasn't ideal. Overall though a good hostel.

Thanks Caroline, We do actually have a lot of rooms with windows, let us know if you are back in Auckland and we will make sure you get one next time! Hopefully see you soon. Amanda Base Auckland

I unclear where to find the reception when I first arrived, otherwise totally satisfied with the hostel.

• 26th Apr 2015

A very central location, but it will b better if its name sign and diretions sign will b clearer & more attractive. It rather took time for me to find it.

Was a nice location... room could have had some light! And the bathroom was probably worse I have ever seen in Hostel... in fact I felt cleaner before I had a shower! But the staff were awesome... the breakfast was decent...