Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Best backpacker I have been to. Will always go to base after this experience at base in Auckland

• 4th Mar 2015
  • India

The Reception is slower than a snail. It is just incredible that there is a line the whole day with a average waiting time of 30min, even at my check out at 7am i had to wait more than 10min. Another very annoying thing are the ridicoulus 6 fridges, little city and they provide 6!!! fridges. The sadest thing is that this could be improved very easy(more fridges and open not just 2 from 4 reception registers) but they don't really seem to wnat to.

Were locked out of our room and because of that we were refunded our full amount and aloud to stay for free. At the time i was really impressed with the customer service and how they reacted to the unfortunate situation. I was told id be refunded the deposit i paid within a week. It is now going on four weeks since i stayed and still no sign of a refund. Made several attempts to contact and on several occasions they didn't return my call. Not 100% sure what is now happening with that.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Okay place, hate the elevators though - you should be able to take the stairs up and save some time...

Excellent stay, friendly staff, fun atmosphere. We've already planned our next visit!

• 20th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

Cleanliness of general areas and bathrooms were terrible! Plus there were people in the adjoining room blaring music and base all night, not the best experience.

One of the most unsociable hostels I have ever been to. The staff (except the cleaners) have no clue about customer service and are unhelpful, dismissive, rude and unwilling to help unless they would gain money from it. Terrible experience and would never go back.

• 17th Feb 2015

Queues for checking in and out are ridiculous. Up to an hour just to do so! I stayed in the sanctuary (all girls) which was a little more expensive and each guest had had different offers but all paid the same. Most got towels, complimentary shampoo and with a promise of champagne in the morning but I had nothing! Also, no windows!

Everything u need for a freshly arrived backpacker.

Busy at check in time, thus a bit of a wait which is fine. However when it's your turn, a little bit more information on the hostel would be beneficial ie. how to use the key, services available etc. The girl greeting everyone was lovely. Room was not ready on arrival, garbage and linen piled up in front of elevators is not a nice sight on arrival to your level. One female toilet was working for the entire level, the other disgusting with toilet paper everywhere and water overflowing.

They managed to mess up our booking both days we stayed there and the wait for reception was ridiculous!

Best hostel I've stayed at in Auckland! Friendly staff, very clean, central location, absolutely no negatives come to mind!

It is best for people who stay up late. I wanted to get to sleep early but most of my room did not and the lights stayed on quite long. This is for the young party group. The other thing is the check in was quite slow. But they did have a very good travel desk.

Disgraced with overall management of the place, days being woken up by staff asking you to check out because ether have double booked your noon without any notice atall or ever any remorse for actions taken. Food service was horrendous as they were often out of over 50% of the menu. Was that bad i left a day early as my stay wasn't enjoyable in the slightest.

• 1st Feb 2015

I have stayed at quite a few Base hostels in Australia and even lived at one for 3 months but this has to be the worst. The layout of the hostel is awful as its all on levels, the cleanliness was awful. I booked to stay in a female dorm when i first arrived which i paid alot more for, expecting a really clean and modern room. I was put into a dirty room with no windows. 2nd time i stayed 1 week later, they messed up my booking but did upgrade me!

It was really expensive, but a decent place to stay

Loads of people, long queues at the desk, the rest was ok.

500 beds- too big to my liking. My room has no window.

Some 8 bedroom rooms were a little small, but that didn't bother us much. when I entered the room I saw three people playing a game of cards and I joined in. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and it is in a great spot for getting to go to tour buses or down onto the main drag of Queen St.

Hostel war gut Top Lage und Ausstattung hilfsbereite und freundliche mitarbeiter. Nachts auch mal laut, Frühstück und WiFi muss extra bezahlt werden Waschmaschinen auch. Nice hostel, nice people, Top area in the centrum many Bars and restaurants around good facilities with Job and travel agency, (Job is 100$ membership) Laundry, WiFi, breakfast not includet. Is mostly clean showers are hot, price is first night cheep but every extra night to expensive.

• 29th Jan 2015