Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Kitchen and dining area is dirty. Very few showers. There was only 1 shower cubicle for men available on the whole floor. Toilets were dirty and water dripping through the ceiling. Room was fine and location is good.

The best hostel I've stayed in Auckland! 24h reception, huge kitchen, clean toilets with great showers, big spacious living room.

Hi Pedro, Thanks for the feedback, I will make sure that our team read your comments!11111111111111111111111

The location is really good for centre of town, view of the sky tower as you step out the main door. Stayed in the girls sanctuary form which was nice and quiet but only two toilets for whole floor and the showers were very basic so bathroom facilities could be better. You have to pay for wifi. No security lockers. Common rooms areas are good.

Hi Victoria, thanks for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your stay. We actually have security lockers underneath each bed - ones that you can put your own padlock through (or we have padlocks for sale at reception if you need them). I hope you enjoy your travels, and we see you again at some point. Kind Regards, Amanda

The hostel is on a perfect spot in the city, reception very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and tidy. Had a great time at base.

• 8th Apr 2014

Thanks for the review Lizette, hopefully we will see you again soon.

The entire place was absolutely filthy, the room had no windows, panels were falling off the ceiling and for some reason there was a fridge in the room which was full of rotting food - not sure when it was last cleaned out. We took one look in the kitchen and decided that neither of us could bare to cook anything.

Great place to stay. Awesome location and a very helpful staff.

Bathrooms/showers are very dirty and in need of proper cleaning.Place definately needs a bit of a refresher. The staff were helpful and lovely though. Taps in toilets could not turn off completely so water is being wasted.

• 29th Mar 2014

Enjoyed my stay in this hostel. Made good friends with the girls in my room. The staff at the travel desk was really helpful, thanks Nikkie! The rooms were nice and clean. The showers were a dissapointment though, only one of three was working and not very well. Other than that, everything was good.

No windows in the rooms..feels like a prison!

For what you pay this place is great! Toilets and showers could do with a deep clean but overall very happy to stay here! Fantastic location for all your Auckland needs! I'd suggest paying the $2 to spin the lucky wheel too....Everyone is a winner!

• 9th Mar 2014
  • Scotland

Staff weren't the friendliest and there was a queue when checking which isn't a problem when the people at the desk call the next person in the queue when there free, this wasn't done and was upto the guests to approach them

Excellent Hostel - the best I have been to in Nz so far. Staff were very helpful and friendly - check in was quick and easy. The room was extremely tidy and clean with everything I needed. Great value for money. I will definitely be staying with Base Hostels for the rest of my 3 month trip in Nz! Highly reccomend!

• 4th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Had a lovely stay at Base Auckland and would definitely recommend. Kitchen is large but not really enough seats or tables. Staff were friendly and helpful!

Stayed in 4 bed mixed, had a mini fridge and no windows, was ok for 2 night stay, but might get claustrophobic for longer stays. Key card didn't work the 2nd day (couldn't use elevator to get to room) so had to wait in line for 30+ mins to get it reactivated! Need better wait system so people don't cut in line. Would be great if there were more hangers in the showers. Didn't use the kitchen, mall on queen street had great/ cheap food options.

Great localization and good atmosphere, but the bathrooms should be better.

• 23rd Feb 2014

To stay at the base, it is quite nice, to work there for accommodation, I wouldn't. They actually asked me to fill this out and score them 100% as a part of the process of me being hired.. So the ratings might not be too accurate. Didn't enjoy most of my time there, lets just leave it at that.

• 23rd Feb 2014

Facilities were cleaned only with some dry clo and des infecting spray, Disgusting. Toilet floors haven't been cleaned with a wet mob, water and soap for months probably. When I told my concern to staff, they sent somebody immediately, but those persons didn't even have a mob with them. When I showed the cleaning staff what I meant and that they should use some wate for the floor, they told me they can't see anything dirty... I'm traveling for more than 15 yrs and haven't seen sth that dirty!!!

• Switzerland