Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Staff were rude, toilets didn't flush properly, and the prices were inflated by 60% because there was some concert in town.

• 23rd Nov 2013

For whatever reason they could not accept either of my credit cards which was an inconvenience (my cards worked perfectly both immediately before and after my stay).

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

really business like atmosphere. more $$$$$ may make more enjoyable

• 20th Nov 2013

Unfortunately we had a double room without windows. The men's toilets were pretty crappy but the women's fine. The location is great and the staff friendly.

I am very impressed with the Sanctuary section of the Hostel - Girls Only rooms. I also like that a guest can have access to a variety of services all under one roof.

• 19th Nov 2013

X Base Hotel is a good hotel in Auckland. You could reach all the city areas in the minutes. Although mostly you faced young people stayed in this hotel, you would also meet many mature people. You have to share some of the facilities like bathrooms in this hotel. However, these share facilities were enjoyable. If you have some additional money, you may choose private. So far I love this hotel. The staff are also lovely persons. You can talk with them with your languages easily.

• 17th Nov 2013
  • Indonesia

There were 3 women showers on my floor and 2 were out of order for days. The third one had no hot water. When I informed the staff at reception, they didn't do anything to fix the problem. Kitchen facilities are not the best and there was no cold water at a point. Sure, location is great, but it's not much greater than any other hostel, in fact it is one of the worse I've been. Very business like.

The basic dorms seem to have no windows, and the kitchen was filthy. You have to pay for the gym to :( But the staff were lovely and the location is good. The noise doesn't travel up from the bar either, which is good.

The staff were very friendly and the location was nice. However, the bathrooms were horrible. One girls shower on the floor (the other two were out of order) and it smelled and was quite dirty. Not a pleasant experience.

Great infrastructure, very sophisticated and huge, nice view of the city. Central location. 24/7 front desk with friendly staff. It owns a bar and travel agency. Not free WIFI.

The first room given to us was disgusting(1134) - nothing worked there, second room thanks to Eve was good. I put staff as average because nobody from young people at reception wanted to do anything to change our situation. The location excellent. Kitchen was not very clean and there was not enough utilities.

BED BUGS - they were in our room - need I say more and the protocol in place for this is absolutely disgusting. There was no management around and they said they wouldn't come in until Monday (this was saturday)...the staff member initially said unless we could prove they legally needed to give us a refund, then they wouldn't be. I had to find my inner voice and tell him how bullshit this was and I wasn't leaving without it cos I needed the money for another place to stay that night.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • New Zealand

The staff team got into the room at 9 am cleaning, shaking the beds like a storm. I was already awake but my room partner was sleeping and ask to them to do that later but they keep cleaning and shaking his bad. I don't understand that. .. Maybe that is the NZ way.

• 6th Nov 2013

Basic room was tiny but it had a fridge which was good. Atmosphere is a bit lacking probably due to the size of the place.

Hi Nigel, Thanks for the feedback, we do have larger rooms some with even water views, if you are back in Auckland get in touch and I will see what I can do about a bigger one next time. Kind Regards, Amanda amanda.roxburgh@stayatbase.com

Excellent place to stay when you first arrive in Auckland. Could offer more free help in the job office though, $10 to help fill out the IRD form is scandalous!

Hi Harriet, Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to catch up with Iain who runs our Job Search Office about the IRD set up as well - thanks for letting us know your thoughts! Hopefully we will see you again soon. Kind Regards, Amanda

Great hostel. Perfect location. Good value for money, friendly staff, lively atmosphere. Everywhere is clean and comfortable apart from the kitchen which was absolutely disgusting when I was there. Wouldn't put me off going again though as everything else was so good.

• 31st Oct 2013

Hi Rebecca, Thanks for the awesome feedback, I will make sure my team see this. Sad to hear the kitchen let us down, I'm going to follow up with my clean team to see who was responsible for this area during your stay. Kind Regards, Amanda

Great Facilities, Friendly Staff!

• 26th Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks Brendon, Great to hear you enjoyed your stay - hopefully we will see you again soon.

1 2 3 Next » last »