Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Every base I have been to in New Zealand has all been the same so far and this one in Auckland was no exception. It was big and dirty. Yes our room was spacious and not as dirty, but the bathrooms,kitchen, lounge area,etc were awful. When my friend and I were checking in, there was only one employee and we were like 8 in line and it moved extremely slow. The only good thing about this hostel I would say is the location, that's it. The atmosphere was also pretty bad.

The Hostel is located in the heart of Auckland Downtoeb, that's great! But since there's a nightclub nearby it was nearly impossible to sleep. Our room had no window, it felt like in a prison. Also my sheets weren't clean, they changed them after I told them about it, which was ok. All in all it was ok for one night, but I wouldn't stay there for longer.

• 2nd Jan 2015

everthing is perfect except one thing. I find that the lighters in the kitchen did not work. There were 2 lighters offered by the Hostel, but they did not work in many cases. I stayed there for one week, and no staff tried to fix this issue. And fridges were not big enough.

The hostel is clean and big, essentially 'does what it says on the tin'. However, it's a money-making machine from start to finish with rude staff and a bad attitude. Go somewhere else and have a better time!

Facilities are very average as clealiness: a lot of brocken showers and toilets limit common facilities. Rooms are average with no real charm. Location is good, just near the drop off of the airport bus, and on the main street. Everything in center at 15min walk from the hostel. Last but not the least, activities and work-searching office are available and seems useful. There are other 'Base' hostels in every major city in NZ which can be useful to plan, travel or check availabilities.

Located in central Auckland, Skycity, Base Backpackers is a place to stay, when you need a bed to sleep, no more, no less. I've chosen the "simple" room-type (cheapest) and it was all windowless, old & dirty... maybe the "standard"-rooms are more like any common hostel, I can't say. Staff is helpful, but sometimes unfriendly. The kitchen facilities are sufficient, but poor compared to other hostels. The common, though, is very nice. There are many hostels in town doing better for the same price.

I cant say that it is a particularly fun hostel. Some of the staff are very nice and helpful, but for the most part there just seems to be a massive group of staff in all communal areas and bars that isn't welcoming to travellers not lucky enough to the in the group. Its quite off-putting and irritating. One lift was broken the entire time and you couldn't use the stairs. Spoke to 7 members of staff about the offer we should have received (free breakfast, drink voucher) no one had heard of it.

• 19th Dec 2014

This hostel is great for its really central location and relatively good deals for travellers, however it is quite a soulless place due to its size. The number of people in the hostel means that staff have little time to engage with guests and therefore not really creating much of an atmosphere at all. Staff are really friendly but it seems quite understaffed on the front desk and I was left waiting for 30minutes before I could check in! The bathrooms could do with a facelift.

Hi, on my reservation says the breakfast and towel are included but after I check-in I found I had to pay for both...not nice!

good hostel. nice and central. close to nightlife. would stay again

The beds and pilows are terrible. They charge you for absolutely everything. Excellent location.

I found this hostel to have no atmosphere whatsoever. The staff were very hostile and not welcoming. I was still charged the full amount for a room which was confirmed as cancelled with just a loss of deposit. The place seems extremely unorganised, especially the reception desk, luggage storage and kitchen, and I would not recommend Base Auckland to any fellow travellers

Check in staff incompetent. Slow. Put me in wrong room. Queue up to complain. Then put me in room with no free bed. No atmosphere here at all. Only stay here if everywhere else is full...

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Wales

Staff is nice, our room wasn't good because it had no windows so it was really hot and claustrophobic. The bathroom on our floor was flooded and really small, not a lot of space for 5 girls to get ready. I've stayed here and at Nomads in the city and I have to say id go to Nomads next time as the facilities were a lot better and price was better! I paid $20 deposit only to be told that wasn't included in the final price of the room so had to pay $48 plus $20 for the key to our room. GO TO NOMADS

• 31st Oct 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

The hostel was ok but it lacked character and had a lot of recent graduates staying so it was more for students than travelers wishing to meet fun new people. The hostel staff where also a little brash, perhaps this was because seemed very over worked. This meant the serivce could have been better at times.

1 2 3 Next » last »