Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Hostel war gut Top Lage und Ausstattung hilfsbereite und freundliche mitarbeiter. Nachts auch mal laut, Frühstück und WiFi muss extra bezahlt werden Waschmaschinen auch. Nice hostel, nice people, Top area in the centrum many Bars and restaurants around good facilities with Job and travel agency, (Job is 100$ membership) Laundry, WiFi, breakfast not includet. Is mostly clean showers are hot, price is first night cheep but every extra night to expensive.

• 29th Jan 2015

Staff at Base were not fun and friendly as you would expect staff to be at hostels. There was always a huge lineup at reception and it always seemed as though you were inconveniencing them with questions.

The rooms where absolutely discausting, even after a room change it still wasn't like it should be. By far worst base hostel I've seen so far.. A disappointment

The place is nice, the location was the high point of it! Staff was friendly since almost all of them are actual backpackers working for accommodation! Bathroom could use some more frequent cleaning though.. and they definitely need more fridges in the kitchen since I couldn't find a spot to put my stuff! Overall, good money value if you want a cheap and comfortable place to stay in Auckland!

The rooms with windows are good but the queues for reception are terrible

One of the better Xbases with lots of discounts & free extras. Common rooms, gym, & work space are added bonus. Facilities are hit & miss though (great kitchen but terrible bathrooms & lounge). The wifi was excellent with coverage to rooms. Rooms were very good with beds & power points. Needed fixes are: TV lounge is broken & old, showers do not drain. The staff is also a bit slow and we had to wait for an hour to check out.

Just stayed there for one night to get my flight on the next day. Nice and clean hostel. I just didn't like that they didn't have any windows in the room I stayed in. The blonde girl who checked me in was really nice.

We stayed in a private room, and for the cost it probably wasn't worth it compared to other hostels slightly out of the cbd area. The staff were generally nice and the toilets and showers were kept to a decent standard. There's a bar under the hostel which can get pretty noisy so be warned if you're not up for partying! The best feature is the location, minutes away from everything.

Every base I have been to in New Zealand has all been the same so far and this one in Auckland was no exception. It was big and dirty. Yes our room was spacious and not as dirty, but the bathrooms,kitchen, lounge area,etc were awful. When my friend and I were checking in, there was only one employee and we were like 8 in line and it moved extremely slow. The only good thing about this hostel I would say is the location, that's it. The atmosphere was also pretty bad.

The Hostel is located in the heart of Auckland Downtoeb, that's great! But since there's a nightclub nearby it was nearly impossible to sleep. Our room had no window, it felt like in a prison. Also my sheets weren't clean, they changed them after I told them about it, which was ok. All in all it was ok for one night, but I wouldn't stay there for longer.

• 2nd Jan 2015

everthing is perfect except one thing. I find that the lighters in the kitchen did not work. There were 2 lighters offered by the Hostel, but they did not work in many cases. I stayed there for one week, and no staff tried to fix this issue. And fridges were not big enough.

The hostel is clean and big, essentially 'does what it says on the tin'. However, it's a money-making machine from start to finish with rude staff and a bad attitude. Go somewhere else and have a better time!

Facilities are very average as clealiness: a lot of brocken showers and toilets limit common facilities. Rooms are average with no real charm. Location is good, just near the drop off of the airport bus, and on the main street. Everything in center at 15min walk from the hostel. Last but not the least, activities and work-searching office are available and seems useful. There are other 'Base' hostels in every major city in NZ which can be useful to plan, travel or check availabilities.

Located in central Auckland, Skycity, Base Backpackers is a place to stay, when you need a bed to sleep, no more, no less. I've chosen the "simple" room-type (cheapest) and it was all windowless, old & dirty... maybe the "standard"-rooms are more like any common hostel, I can't say. Staff is helpful, but sometimes unfriendly. The kitchen facilities are sufficient, but poor compared to other hostels. The common, though, is very nice. There are many hostels in town doing better for the same price.

Just a place to stop by if you need a night in Auckland

I cant say that it is a particularly fun hostel. Some of the staff are very nice and helpful, but for the most part there just seems to be a massive group of staff in all communal areas and bars that isn't welcoming to travellers not lucky enough to the in the group. Its quite off-putting and irritating. One lift was broken the entire time and you couldn't use the stairs. Spoke to 7 members of staff about the offer we should have received (free breakfast, drink voucher) no one had heard of it.

• 19th Dec 2014

This hostel is great for its really central location and relatively good deals for travellers, however it is quite a soulless place due to its size. The number of people in the hostel means that staff have little time to engage with guests and therefore not really creating much of an atmosphere at all. Staff are really friendly but it seems quite understaffed on the front desk and I was left waiting for 30minutes before I could check in! The bathrooms could do with a facelift.

Hi, on my reservation says the breakfast and towel are included but after I check-in I found I had to pay for both...not nice!

good hostel. nice and central. close to nightlife. would stay again

The beds and pilows are terrible. They charge you for absolutely everything. Excellent location.