Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

One of the worst hostels I've ever experienced. The hostel is clearly "maintained" with the minimum of effort, on the smallest possible budget. The staff are either rude or incompetent or a mixture of both. As for the facilities, nothing in this place works properly, weather it's the driers or the showers. Our $92 p/n "private" sweatbox (with mixed facilities) consisted of four partition walls, no windows and no ventilation - it was unbearable, and unclean. Just an awful experience a

It's an ok hostel, located very central which is really nice. The main downside of the hostel is that there are so many people it doesn't have such a lovely atmosphere.....

Very helpful staff. Everything was clean

This hostel is overpriced compared to other hostels in the area. The facilities are really bad and everything is falling apart. The bathrooms have taps that won't stop running and wasting water. I was booked into a budget room. It didn't say anywhere online that it doesn't have windows. These tiny rooms with are more like a jail cell. The internet is very expensive and didn't work all the time (I moved to nomads and the WiFi was free and always working) The staff are not friendly and don't care.

Probably one of the worst hostel Ive stayed at!

Great location right in the middle of the city, our room was spacious and the bed was okay. Both staff members we talked to were rude and uninterested, the bathrooms were dirty and the showers were gross.

The only issue I encountered was cleanliness. The showers weren't very clean, and neither were the toilets. The room itself was okay. I was skeptical to even use the showers, as they didn't look clean at all.

• 22nd Oct 2015

This hostel is not too bad as long as your are not too exigeant about the cleanliness. Great location, difficult to make better.

• 16th Oct 2015

Great location (although it took a little while to find it),good kitchen, comfortable beds

Arrived to a broken bed, had to argue with the staff for them to do something about it as opposed to me sleeping on a floor. Couldn't even climb up said broken bed because the ladders were against a wall, no windows. Staffs attitudes were rude to say the least. Moved rooms, no air con which in this heat was unbearable. There was a guy in our room who wasn't staying in hostel and repeatedly attempted to climb into my friends bed. No soap or hand towels in the bathroom. Would never stay here again

• 14th Oct 2015

On arrival, the hostel was average. We then made our way to the room we were given 610. On approach we began to smell an awful stench. As we opened the door we could not believe our eyes. The mess and smell was horendous!! The thought of haven't to sleep here made us feel physically sick. I then got into my bed, the sheets looked dirty and my duvet stank of BO. And my friends bed had hairs all over it. We have stayed in many hostels and they have all be to a much higher standard!!!

• 13th Oct 2015

Staff are very friendly, good place to stay :)

• 12th Oct 2015
  • British Virgin Islands

Bathrooms are pretty bad. Third floor showers have doors that are really high so the privacy is a bit dodgy. Don't know what that's all about. And the one toilet in there has a hand towel dispenser that DOES NOT WORK! The paper towel always gets stuck and never comes out. The women's washroom has a sink with a leaky faucet that not just dripping but LITERALLY streaming ALL. THE. TIME.

Awful. I was warned against staying here, but did anyway, and it was literally one of the worst nights of my life. Gross, the room smelled and was filthy, people smoking in the room, ceiling falling apart, very dirty bathrooms. The place itself was like a labyrinth of dark hallways and I got lost -no real signs. Had two nights booked, but left after one even though they wouldnt refund my CC. I didnt care, just had to get out! Needs to be torn down and cocmpletely redone. DONT STAY HERE

bathrooms were very dirty!!!

• 7th Oct 2015
  • Switzerland

Staff were inexperienced and very rude. Facilities were disgusting. Bed sheets weren't clean, showers were full of hair and toilet floors were sticky. Location was near a noisy nightclub, so it was hard to sleep. Really bad experience.

• 7th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Dirty room. Bar shuts down too early because they want you to go downstairs and pay even more for a drink. Great location.

I think the hostel was really good!. The location of it being in the city centre was great and the staff were very helpful and I enjoyed my stay.

• 30th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Dirt everywhere! Room, showers, kitchen Also I had a room without windows and not very much fresh air from the fan.

We checked in very early in the morning and were all put in separate rooms which would not have been a problem if we had access to each others floors or were all given free wifi. The person checking us in also seemed clueless and took forever and didnt seem to know what he was doing (although everyone else we talked to at the desk was wonderful-friendly and helpful!) Overall it was good but not great