Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

A small stinky room with no windows and bad aircon. Toilets and showers - with the amount of people staying should be cleaned and fixed more regularly. Clean and white sheets though - that's a plus!

Staff very frienly,quite lenient on my group, cleaners were very good.

• 14th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Stayed here one night and that was more than enough. Showers on my floor were out of order and had to take an elevator to get to another set of bathrooms on the main lobby floor. No lockers in the room. Overall just a disgusting/dingy place. You're better suited staying somewhere else. A lot of people I spoke to said the Attic was nice.

On my first night, I could hear the bad pop music station blaring in the lobby from my room at 3am, but I was very happy that when I told the staff about it the next day they had it turned down. The location is very convenient and I had a good time at the bar downstairs.

Great location bang in the middle of town. Very clean, nice comfortable beds and crisp sheets, except for the kitchen which is a pigsty and smells pretty bad (mainly due to people not cleaning up at all). If you don't mind a soul-less atmosphere where none of the 500 or so people talk to each other and having to pay extra for every single extra facility (e.g. Wifi, computers, gym, baggage storage) then it's fine. Good for younger crowd who want to go on organised nights out.

Hostel was amazing! Staff is very friendly and helpful and the rooms were the best yet of the hostels I've been to. Will definitely stay here again next time in Auckland!

• 22nd Jan 2014

Showers and toilette area require some maintenance operations

An excellently located hostel in the city centre with excellent facilities. Also offers good value for money compared with other inner city hostels. The rooms are fine; well-serviced and cleaned regularly. The staff were adequate but not great. I got the impression Base places more emphasis on long term, working visa guests as opposed to short term, passing through guests. Not that this was much of an issue for me, it was fine for what I needed it for.

Good location, only spent one night there so hard to judge overall.

• 18th Jan 2014

We had a broken light in our room that we contacted reception about twice and it was never seen to. It wouldnt have been a huge deal except the light flickered so it was a constant annoyance rather than just a dim room.

Rooms and toilets are super clean!!! The only thing I didn't like was the bed mattress as it was too thin but overall I enjoyed my stay!

The location of this hostel couldnt be any better! Bus from the airport drops you off at the doorstep to Base. It's located in the heart of downtown, close to everything you want (food, shopping etc). It was walking distance to transfer buses and bungy. The hostel was clean and well maintained. We stayed there on 2 separate nights. both when we arrived and when we left Auckland and we didnt have any issues :)

Base Auckland was a great time. Prime location by Queen St, and the staff were very kind. The room was very tidy, and the bar was a lot of fun. The DJ was fantastic!!

Huge hostel, in a great location. The guy on night duty was very helpful.

Worst mattress ever!!!!

A Very enjoyable stay in Auckland. It was close to all the activities we did, and the reception staff was very helpful with tips on how to get to places, and things to try/do. The lounge area is great, and the luggage storage was a massive help and a well run system!!

The location of this hostel is amazing. In the heart of downtown, close to everything. Airport bus drops you off right in front of the hostel, and the bus stop (if you travel around NZ by bus) is just down the street. The bar was also fantastic!! Really great DJ on Friday nights! Would definitely go back!

All of the housekeeping staff were awesome!

• 10th Jan 2014

Amazing property, I came from the United States with minimal expectation and received a mind blowing experience into backpacking. Wonderful Staff, friendly workers and work environment. Its the #1 Sesitination in my book of places to stay around Auckland. If adventure is your THEME, this is your place! Culture and happiness, what else more can you ask for :D

• 10th Jan 2014

I stayed on the 2nd floor. My dorm room did not shut or lock. It was reported to staff but nothing was done about it. The rooms hasn't been cleaned well as one of the under bed lockers was full of rubbish and empty beer bottles. All the female showers on my floor were out of order and only 2 of the 3 unisex showers worked but did not lock. You have to use the lifts as you can't use the stairs between floors and you generally wait a long time for one. One lift was always out of order. Overpriced.

• 9th Jan 2014