Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Best hostel I've stayed at in Auckland! Friendly staff, very clean, central location, absolutely no negatives come to mind!

It is best for people who stay up late. I wanted to get to sleep early but most of my room did not and the lights stayed on quite long. This is for the young party group. The other thing is the check in was quite slow. But they did have a very good travel desk.

Disgraced with overall management of the place, days being woken up by staff asking you to check out because ether have double booked your noon without any notice atall or ever any remorse for actions taken. Food service was horrendous as they were often out of over 50% of the menu. Was that bad i left a day early as my stay wasn't enjoyable in the slightest.

• 1st Feb 2015

I have stayed at quite a few Base hostels in Australia and even lived at one for 3 months but this has to be the worst. The layout of the hostel is awful as its all on levels, the cleanliness was awful. I booked to stay in a female dorm when i first arrived which i paid alot more for, expecting a really clean and modern room. I was put into a dirty room with no windows. 2nd time i stayed 1 week later, they messed up my booking but did upgrade me!

It was really expensive, but a decent place to stay

Loads of people, long queues at the desk, the rest was ok.

500 beds- too big to my liking. My room has no window.

Some 8 bedroom rooms were a little small, but that didn't bother us much. when I entered the room I saw three people playing a game of cards and I joined in. The atmosphere is pretty relaxed and it is in a great spot for getting to go to tour buses or down onto the main drag of Queen St.

Hostel war gut Top Lage und Ausstattung hilfsbereite und freundliche mitarbeiter. Nachts auch mal laut, Frühstück und WiFi muss extra bezahlt werden Waschmaschinen auch. Nice hostel, nice people, Top area in the centrum many Bars and restaurants around good facilities with Job and travel agency, (Job is 100$ membership) Laundry, WiFi, breakfast not includet. Is mostly clean showers are hot, price is first night cheep but every extra night to expensive.

• 29th Jan 2015

Staff at Base were not fun and friendly as you would expect staff to be at hostels. There was always a huge lineup at reception and it always seemed as though you were inconveniencing them with questions.

The rooms where absolutely discausting, even after a room change it still wasn't like it should be. By far worst base hostel I've seen so far.. A disappointment

The place is nice, the location was the high point of it! Staff was friendly since almost all of them are actual backpackers working for accommodation! Bathroom could use some more frequent cleaning though.. and they definitely need more fridges in the kitchen since I couldn't find a spot to put my stuff! Overall, good money value if you want a cheap and comfortable place to stay in Auckland!

The rooms with windows are good but the queues for reception are terrible

One of the better Xbases with lots of discounts & free extras. Common rooms, gym, & work space are added bonus. Facilities are hit & miss though (great kitchen but terrible bathrooms & lounge). The wifi was excellent with coverage to rooms. Rooms were very good with beds & power points. Needed fixes are: TV lounge is broken & old, showers do not drain. The staff is also a bit slow and we had to wait for an hour to check out.

Just stayed there for one night to get my flight on the next day. Nice and clean hostel. I just didn't like that they didn't have any windows in the room I stayed in. The blonde girl who checked me in was really nice.

We stayed in a private room, and for the cost it probably wasn't worth it compared to other hostels slightly out of the cbd area. The staff were generally nice and the toilets and showers were kept to a decent standard. There's a bar under the hostel which can get pretty noisy so be warned if you're not up for partying! The best feature is the location, minutes away from everything.

Every base I have been to in New Zealand has all been the same so far and this one in Auckland was no exception. It was big and dirty. Yes our room was spacious and not as dirty, but the bathrooms,kitchen, lounge area,etc were awful. When my friend and I were checking in, there was only one employee and we were like 8 in line and it moved extremely slow. The only good thing about this hostel I would say is the location, that's it. The atmosphere was also pretty bad.

The Hostel is located in the heart of Auckland Downtoeb, that's great! But since there's a nightclub nearby it was nearly impossible to sleep. Our room had no window, it felt like in a prison. Also my sheets weren't clean, they changed them after I told them about it, which was ok. All in all it was ok for one night, but I wouldn't stay there for longer.

• 2nd Jan 2015

everthing is perfect except one thing. I find that the lighters in the kitchen did not work. There were 2 lighters offered by the Hostel, but they did not work in many cases. I stayed there for one week, and no staff tried to fix this issue. And fridges were not big enough.

The hostel is clean and big, essentially 'does what it says on the tin'. However, it's a money-making machine from start to finish with rude staff and a bad attitude. Go somewhere else and have a better time!