Base Auckland Reviews

Corner of Queen St and Darby St, Darby Street, Auckland, New Zealand

I cant say that it is a particularly fun hostel. Some of the staff are very nice and helpful, but for the most part there just seems to be a massive group of staff in all communal areas and bars that isn't welcoming to travellers not lucky enough to the in the group. Its quite off-putting and irritating. One lift was broken the entire time and you couldn't use the stairs. Spoke to 7 members of staff about the offer we should have received (free breakfast, drink voucher) no one had heard of it.

• 19th Dec 2014

This hostel is great for its really central location and relatively good deals for travellers, however it is quite a soulless place due to its size. The number of people in the hostel means that staff have little time to engage with guests and therefore not really creating much of an atmosphere at all. Staff are really friendly but it seems quite understaffed on the front desk and I was left waiting for 30minutes before I could check in! The bathrooms could do with a facelift.

Hi, on my reservation says the breakfast and towel are included but after I check-in I found I had to pay for both...not nice!

good hostel. nice and central. close to nightlife. would stay again

The beds and pilows are terrible. They charge you for absolutely everything. Excellent location.

I found this hostel to have no atmosphere whatsoever. The staff were very hostile and not welcoming. I was still charged the full amount for a room which was confirmed as cancelled with just a loss of deposit. The place seems extremely unorganised, especially the reception desk, luggage storage and kitchen, and I would not recommend Base Auckland to any fellow travellers

Check in staff incompetent. Slow. Put me in wrong room. Queue up to complain. Then put me in room with no free bed. No atmosphere here at all. Only stay here if everywhere else is full...

• 4th Nov 2014
  • Wales

Staff is nice, our room wasn't good because it had no windows so it was really hot and claustrophobic. The bathroom on our floor was flooded and really small, not a lot of space for 5 girls to get ready. I've stayed here and at Nomads in the city and I have to say id go to Nomads next time as the facilities were a lot better and price was better! I paid $20 deposit only to be told that wasn't included in the final price of the room so had to pay $48 plus $20 for the key to our room. GO TO NOMADS

• 31st Oct 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

The hostel was ok but it lacked character and had a lot of recent graduates staying so it was more for students than travelers wishing to meet fun new people. The hostel staff where also a little brash, perhaps this was because seemed very over worked. This meant the serivce could have been better at times.

Bad equipped and dirty kitchen. Most of the stuff isnt working properly.

• 22nd Oct 2014

Room was a bit claustrophobic with no windows

Was really lovely, thanks for the great nights sleep.

• 15th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Great fun!

Sleeping in a room without any windows feels a bit like sleeping in a closet.. there was space though, and it was not cold, so that was good. Toilets and showers would need a bit of refreshing I think. Only stayed for a night.

This is the best hostel in town! Staff are so friendly and its central location is perfect! Can't wait to go back!

I booked on hostelworld.com and later tried to change my booking (which hostelworld states i could do up to 24hours prior). When I called Base to change the booking i was told I had to give 48hours notice. Hostelworld.com are therefore advertising and selling a service that Base do not provide. Big lines at the reception every time i went there too.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Extra important info: -You need an elevator pass to use the elevator but don't need to go via reception which is great if you have your own room and want to bring a friend up -There's an alcohol ban in the hostel (including rooms). Which means no common areas to just relax, drink and socialise. Your only option is the underground club below the hostel (loud) -REALLY slow check in -Wifi $4 day/$12 week -$20 deposit on EACH roomkey Was great but would try dif hostel for better atmosphere

• 18th Sep 2014

This hostel should have more staff as there were around 20 customers every time I need assistance.

Be friendlier!!!

• 6th Sep 2014

Right in the centre of Auckland and huge hotel like place. We had a double room with window and big fridge which was perfect for keeping your own food in rather than the shared ones in the kitchen, which were often jammed full. Shared bathrooms were good, clean enough. Kitchen ok but some users really didn't respect others, leaving a mess around, but to be expected in such a large place unfortunately. Reception was always under staffed!- would feel sorry for one girl trying to deal with it all.