Base Brisbane - Central Reviews

308 Edward Street, Brisbane, Australia

Hostel that charge for wifi need to die. Hostels that charge for wifi that doesn't properly work need to die twice.

I stayed here (fortunately) only 2 nights. It's the worst hostel I've been to in Australia yet. It's a really old building and it just looks shabby. All rooms have an open window over the door so you can hear everything what's going on outside. The Down Under Bar is right below so the loud music/bass kept me awake all night. Only 2 power plugs for 4 people. A cockroach chased me in the kitchen. Would not recommend this place if you're looking for some sleep... It's a party hostel!

If never want to sleep is the perfect hostel. Room you can hear the music from the club, slaps windows with the vibrations of the music club. There are parties every night so impossible to sleep. staff is not pleasant. When I asked to change rooms, the receptionist was lost and did'nt find me other room. The cleanliness left to be desired in the bathrooms. The kitchen is dirty, I board not even dared to cook. a good thing it is the location of the hostel. The vacuum cleaner is a past 8 o'clock

• 22nd Aug 2014

Pulito accogliente ed economico!

• 15th Aug 2014

Ciao Alessandro, grazie per aver aver lasciato il tuo commento. Siamo contenti che ti sia trovato bene in Brisbane Central. Buona continuazione per il tuo viaggio. Base Central Crew

I did not like the stay, though cleaners were about and they had an hour and half to clean kitchen, it felt dirty. The theft of food is out of control, the atmosphere is terrible, the price of Internet for 24hrs is good, and the gym pass is excellent. However I'm currently at base uptown and whilst it's slightly out, the atmosphere is much better as is the cleanliness and atmosphere. Pity about central

The rooms were noisy at night, panel above door had a pattern cut out which meant you could hear everything. Some staff were good others seemed like it was too much hassle just to get a wifi card. Bit of a walk from the station (20 mins with a heavy bag isn't fun, no shuttle service) No free wifi or internet Tv room ok but hardly any DVDs, the ones they did have were very scratched. Good location to get around Brisbane

Thank you for leaving a review. You must be meaning the Roma street station, it's actually only a 10 min walk from there or just 1 stop on the train, maybe you just took a wrong turn. We use to have lots of good DVD's in our TV lounge but of course people steal them and ruin them which then ruins it for the other guests. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Brisbane Central crew.

The location of the hostel is great - in the middle of the city center. Nice hostel - a bit too big for my taste though. Staff was a bit rude, could have been nicer. All in all I had a good time in Brisbane at Base Central.

Thank you for leaving a review. We love our location also, it's the best in Brisbane. Our hostel is large but our staff do their best to help everyone as much as they can. Glad you had a good time here though and hope to see you back if you're ever back in Brisbane. Brisbane Central crew.

The staff wasn't too nice for the costumers. Some staff members were grumpy. Thereby the kitchen smells terrible, especially the fridge I had my cool bag in.. They cleaned it everyday 1,5 hour but I guess they don't clean the fridges what I would recommend to do! The location was good, the security was good. Because I was used to hostels which are open, social and with a swimmingpool/garden this was a bit sad. But maybe that's because it felt a bit sad.. Maybe that's cuz it's in the city.

• 27th May 2014

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We think that our staff are great, we do try our best to be friendly and helpful to all guests, so sorry to hear you feel that way. Our fridges do get a good clean once a week but with so many guests in our hostel some do leave food behind. It's a bit hard to have a swimming pool or garden in the city unless you go to a hotel. Hope you have a better time for the rest of your stay with us. base Central crew.

plus: lockers in every room, people always on reception, plenty of space, great location. always book online for stays less than a week as its much cheaper, but weekly rates are dirt cheap if you turn up there. negatives: i dont do either, but not being able to drink, or smoke in outdoor areas is stupid. not enough showers, kitchen tiny for the size of the place. poor atmosphere apart from the bars.

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We don't allow guests to drink in the hostel because of our liquor licence doesn't allow it. We use to but we had too many drunks damaging the property so unfortuniately had to change it. With Smoking, it's Australian law that says you can't smoke anywhere including balconys or the roof top with our building. We are currently upgrading our kitchen this week, it's an ongoing thing. Thanks base Central crew.

Awful nights sleep and rude, really slow reception staff when I checked in. Was in a dorm with two girls who were there long term and room was gross - dirty cups, plates and food lying around with their stuff everywhere - staff should keep a check on this sort of thing. Bunk beds were really wobbly and felt like they were going to topple over. So noisy at night - had to get people in corridor at 3am to be quiet which again should be staff/security should be doing. Never staying at a base again!

Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We do have rules saying the cups and plates do not leave the kitchen and we do check up on it but unfortunately we can't catch everyone. We also do noise checks during the night but because of the bar down stairs there are some rude drunk guests that we can't always catch straight away either. We are sorry that other guests made your stay unpleasent, hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. base Brisbane crew.

The location couldn't be better, right next to central station and the downtown area. The bar downstairs provided a convenient option for breakfast and drinking. During my visit someone threw a rooftop tecno party, which was awesome, but apparently not very common. Other than that a pretty unremarkable backpacker hostel, hard to find anything that makes it stand out, for better or worse.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Finland

Thank you for leaving a review. Our location is pretty great we think. You are right, the roof top parties are very rare but we have our bar downstairs that does cheap food and drinks. base Brisbane crew.

have stayed here before and just like the location and people you can meet

Thank you for leaving a review, we think we have the best location in Brisbane and our hostel is a great place to meet new people. Happy Travels, base Brisbane crew.

Nice and clean hostel. The best thing is that they pick you up from the central bus stop where all the grayhound buses stop. They also have push bikes for rent and the bike path is right in front of the entrance.

Other than the lobby smelling like urine and being kept up until 3am by the bass from the club below, not bad. Great staff and clean rooms

Thank you for leaving a review. Our hostel can be a bit noisy with a club we have below us. If you come back to Brisbane maybe try our other hostel just down the road, it's very similiar to us but it doesn't have a bar so you don't get as much noise. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. base Brisbane crew.

Nice historical building in the heart of CBD

Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We also think our building is nice, glad you enjoyed our hostel. Enjoy the rest of your travels. base Brisbane crew.

Sorry, can't comment on all the facilities as I didn't use the kitchens. Could have done without the loud music playing at 3am. Thought it was the pub in the basement but actually turned out to be reception. Was down in reception on my second night to use the internet and the music was playing loudly despite there being nobody at the desk or anybody in the foyer. Otherwise lovely building, lots of atmosphere. Very clean and well cared for.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Scotland

Thank you for leaving a review. Sorry about the music at reception, it should never be up loud so we will make sure that doesn't happen again. Other than that we are glad you liked our hostel. Enjoy the rest of your travels. base Brisbane crew.