Base Brisbane - Central Reviews

308 Edward Street, Brisbane, Australia

This hostel is in a great location, but is in urgent need of renovation. Whilst the cleaning staff were friendly and did their best to keep the place looking good, the hostel's sleeping areas had a horrendous damp and musty smell that reminded me of some of the worst student accommodation from my uni days. Yes, it's cheap but many other competitors are able to provide a nice and pleasant area to sleep for a similar price. Why not this hostel?

• 6th Jan 2014

Unfriendly staff. My room stunk! The sheets on my bed had not been changed from the last occupant. Terrible internet connection, even though I paid for it. No air con so the room was beyond hot and stuffy. And best of all, my room mates had 'guests; coming it and out of the room all night! I booked in for two nights but left after one. WORST NIGHT EVER!

Lockers n the rooms are dreadful.I have stayed 4 times, purely because of the location. The location is fantasic.Unfortunately the cleanliness in the mixed dorms is poor,and the lockers are appalling.I am well placed to form an opinion as I have stayed in 4-5 different rooms across my stay&its pretty consistant.The nr of sockets is woefully inadaquate for this day and age when people have some much technology.The sockets that are there are almost on the floor!People use the corridors to top up

Great location! it was extremely close to the bus depot (only a 10 minute walk) and central to shops and restaurants. The food menu in the bar had amazing deals for the money, and had great prices for beer. The reception staff was extremely knowledgable and friendly.

Great location right near the train depot, and fantastic food menu. The reception staff were also very helpful.

These guys were ace. Great, central location, perfect for passing through and recharging. The staff were brilliant, gave me a great room when I told them I needed a good nights rest and held onto some things I accidently left behind for over a week, safe and sound. A bunch of good peeps, thanks! :)

I had my mobile phone stolen from my dorm on my first night, the staff were less than helpful when I asked them what to do and if they could help. And when I asked them for an progress they said they were 'too busy'.

• 23rd Dec 2013

As a person who likes old architecture I like the location and the nearby Botanic Park provides a pleasant relief from the city bustle. The Zibar in the basement provides good value food also.

OK hostel for the money. Great location. I have been there a few times but the last night I had to wake up early for a flight, and there were people running around the room until 5am drunk. The staff needs to be a little more friendly.

Generally a pleasant experience, but service could be improved by putting more staff on during busier periods, also the check in/out system isn't great, check out by 10am and no check in till 2pm? Not great if you've just come off a long coach ride and are in desperate need of a shower, again maybe more cleaning staff could cut down this window? Otherwise location is good, rooms are more spacious then many other hostels, showers are warm and plenty of power sockets!

Cleaning lady threw my shoes away (!!) because i left them outside the room next to the door (smelly room with all those shoes and locked window in room 105). Shocking experience especially after having travelled india.nepal.thai.la os. vietnam.cambodia where Nobody d ever touch anything. Management promptly investigated and refunded me 2 nights. Location is good, rates are ok. Would go back again if cleaning lady minded her own business and not throw away a GOOD italian pair of shoes.

Fantastic staff!!! Nice rooms but you pay extra for internet and towels

The location of this hostel is ideal, that's why my bf and I booked here. The double room we booked was a disappointment, slightly derelict and lacking completely in atmosphere. I don't expect much from a hostel but our room looked nothing like the one from the online pictures. So if your wanting a couples weekend away paying a bit extra for a hotel might be the go, or not leaving your booking to the week before your trip. There were some nicer places for couples that were booked out, sniff ;(

Can be noisy in the corridors at night and the ancient lift is a real challenge for the older generation of users. it would be nice to have a leaflet telling strangers where they can find good cheap food and similar outlets in the near vicinity - the pub downstairs is awful, noisy and not at all congenial.

• 14th Nov 2013

Thanks for leaving a review on hostelworld. We do pride ourselves on being a party hostel, with the downunder bar going full on flat out most nights. Most people that stay here are here to party! For those that do prefer a bit of quietness we do have another property base Brisbane Embassy just down the road, that doesn't have the bar attached! It's also a newer building with a modern lift. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! Peace & Love, the Base Brissy Crew

Definably a party hostel; don''t plan on getting a decent nights sleep here if you are staying on the 1st or 2nd floor.. The bar downstairs played music until 4 AM for the 3 nights I stayed. Not a bad place though; interesting old building with lots of character. Good staff also.

Thanks for leaving a review on hostelworld. We do pride ourselves on being a party hostel, with the downunder bar going full on flat out most nights. Most people that stay here are here to party! For those that do prefer a bit of quietness we do offer private rooms - singles, doubles & twins. Alternatively we do have another property base Brisbane Embassy just down the road, that doesn't have the bar attached! We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels! Peace & Love, the Base Brissy Crew

Very disappointed by this accommodation that seemed nice when we booked it. We had a double room. Really the minimum equipment for the room. A low acoustic isolation, so we hardly slept given the noise during the night... The cleanliness in the communal parts leaves much to be desired. The only positive point is its location.

• 30th Oct 2013

Was a good hostel for a weekend away in Brisy. Good mix of people and great fun. The of course there is Dunder

1 2 Next » last »