Base Brisbane Uptown (formerly Tinbilly) Reviews

462 George Street, Brisbane, Australia

The hostel is in a great location near the transit centre. The bar downstairs serves really nice food and you get discount if you're staying in the hostel. Staff were nice too.

Ok for a night or two, not very sociable and the smoking area is ridiculous! Staff were rather rude and impatient. Good location in centre of brisbane though

Can't say much because I literally came in late one night and left early in the morning. But staff wasn't too friendly, and as it being in the same building as a bar, felt uncomfortable with it blaring it's loud music/was not fun to listen to all night. Also don't know if this is from that night or not but Deff work up with bug bites all over me the night day. But maybe there was just a mosquito in the room. They weren't the cleanest ...

Very cliquey

Really quite Hostel... Not much going on at all. The beds have rubber mattress covers or something similar on them making them very uncomfortable and every time you move they make loads of noise. The dorm was a decent size but given the choice I wouldn't stay here again. It just wasn't for me.

Base Brisbane was clean and overall good value for the money

• 1st Apr 2015

We were in a 4bed dormitory with private bathroom. We were expecting it to be much worse,but the bathroom was very clean as well as the room. Overall the hostel isn't in very good conditions, the air conditioned was loud and freezing. The worst was the kitchen which had no cutlery or plates,you had to lend them from the reception!! There was dvds and board games as well but you had to lend them as well,for a deposit. It is a huge hostel,very industrial but was good for a night.

Read regulations and what you are entitled to ,don't b ashamed to ask Because Nobody explains things on arrival. Regarding security, you get a card that wirks as a key to the elevator and to your room(as well as disscounts on drinks in two bars)there were no lockers so everything in your room is in the mercy of those who stay with. I haven't heard of any incidents during my 5 Days. Atmosphere depends largely on who stays with you, the staff r worth getting to know, friendly people

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Shower dripped all night. Toilet bowl could not be flushed as all water went straight through, Card switches are very sensitive so not operating comfortably. No cups or cutlery in kitchen.

• 27th Feb 2015

The hostel was really nice and well-located! Very near to transport centre and lots of sightseeing places.. Unfortunately you have to pay for wifi, you can only get cutlery for a deposit - but there is free pasta and free rice for all hostel-residents which is a very nice idea :) The hostel itself is really big with a few floors.

Was upgraded into smaller room which I was delighted about. Beds steady

Good head clearance for bunks and clean bedding. No locker in room (hence Average score for security). Location is an easy 10mins (or less) walk from Brisbane museums and galleries in South Bank, and very close to Roma Street train station (with direct connections to the airport) and transport interchange. Quite decent food in the attached pub/bar.

Gteat location for trains and transit center plus walking into central! Couldn't fault this place! Can't comment on atmosphere as we were only here one night but the bar looks pretty good (although they need to have a lesson in cooking a full English properly).

Room generally ok, bathroom clean however there was no hot water at all. We stayed there for 3 nights and I complained on the first night about the no hot water from the shower, the staff actually knew about this problem but still continued to book people into this room. No other room or discount in price of the room was offered to us. Reception staff were grumpy and unwelcoming. The kitchen was very very dirty, hated using it. Food store extremely hot as it's close to the washing room.

The Hotel is located right at the train station. A big advantage for people who need to go to the airport or the greyhound pick up. You shouldn't expect too much but the rooms are ok and the cleanliness is ok too. The room had an aircondition and it worked well. It depends on the room how much space you have for your luggage- it is not much ;) It was pretty expensive for a four bed dorm but I received a towel, and bathroom supplies that was nice. A safe in the room

I have been to many hostels during the last two month but I never had such a dirty bathroom. Even my boyfriend said it is disgusting. The double rooms are a bit nicer (and cleaner) and the air condition was doing a good job cooling the room down. I didn't use the hostel kitchen but after seeing the bathroom in the dorm I decided not to use it. I have been to thee different base hostels and they all were pretty dirty. Can't recommend the chain when it comes to cleanliness. The staff was friendly

Nice hostel, in the CBD of Brisbane. A good point is that it was one of the few hostels in Australia with air conditioner (that works) in the room. However, it doesn't have lockers in the room, only in the third floor, and it cost 3 AUD/24h and there wasn't lockers for everybody in the hostel, so I have to keep my things in the backpack or take then with me. Sugestions: more sockets and (free) lockers in the room.

Great hostel only thing is it is far too hot to sit in the common area and eat as no air con and washers/dryers on with no windows ahhh..try the salmon frm the guilty rogue restaurant it is beautiul

This is the second time I have stayed here. I like this hostel due to the fact it is close to Roma Street station very secure aswell as you need a key card to get in the lift to get to rooms.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I have to agree that our location and the security are two of the best features of our hostel. I'm very happy that you decided to come back and stay with us again. Safe travels, Base Brisbane Uptown

Not very clean. Our room smelt like someone had urinated in the corner. Toilet/showers not very clean.