Base Brisbane Uptown (formerly Tinbilly) Reviews

462 George Street, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I don't even know where to begin... The hallways were full of old and discharded (?) furniture, the kitchen was ridiculously hot and had no windows, the dorms had a strong, bad smell in them and were extremely untidy (probably caused by the many people that seemed to be living in them long term and the fact that, despite there being windows, they could not be opened) and the bathroom was plain gross (there was mold on the walls, shower curtains etc. and the hole in the sink smelled rotten).

Comfy beds and clean linen. Will highly recommend to others. Needs a larger luggage storage room so luggage is more secure when left. Maybe could charge a small nominal fee to store luggage. Otherwise fab setup.

• 28th Mar 2014

Hey there, Thank you for you comments and feedback. We pride ourselves on our cleaniness. We do definately need a larger luggage room but luckily reception is open 24 hours so there is always someone watching who is accessing the luggage room. Thank you again for your constuctive comments. Safe travels :-)

It's a very good Hostel and just a short walk away from the City - perfect ! I would stay there again !

Private room, a disaster. The air conditioning was too strong, no matter what temperature we chose, so we turned it off and were very hot instead.Water was leaking from the air conditioning on my suitcase. The noise was awful too: people screaming in the hallway and loud music at 3 am, the air conditioning next door was so loud that we almost couldn't hear each other when talking. Finally, the lights from electronic devices prevented us from sleeping. A bible was in the room, very offensive.

• 24th Mar 2014

Positive: Just across the street form the transit center and about 10 min to walk to the city center, free pasta or rice; Negative: As kind of usual in Australia - no lockers in the rooms, you can use a locker for which you have to pay, you have to pay for using the wifi as well

Hey there, Thanks for taking the time to leave us your comments. Unfortunately we don't have lockers in the rooms but we are looking at getting under bed storage which will hopefully be lockable. Free pasta and rice definately one of our best features along with friendly staff. Thanks again and safe travels :-)

Nothing really nice to say about this hostel. Walked into our dorm only 2 beds left and someone was hanging there stinky washing on mine. The whole room smelt so bad and was so hot. Slept head to toe with my sister in her bed as the washing smelt that bad. Horrendous noise at night, the ensuite was very dirty, guys in the room would use it with the door open. Couldn't leave quick enough, AVOID

Hey there, Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry you had a negative experience at our hostel. We do have dyers available in hope that people won't hang their washing in the rooms and cause them to smell. Our housekeepers work very hard to maintain a high standard of cleaniness and clean all the bathrooms every morning. If other guests don't respect the shared bathrooms it's very hard for us to maintain the cleaniness. Thank you again for your comments. Safe travels :-)

Nice cheap place to stay. Rooms are very cramped though, however they're always kept clean especially the ensuite. Kitchen was tiny and very very hot to cook in, so we avoided it as much as we could. Only ten minute walk to the hustle and bustle of the city centre, and five minutes from the bridge taking you to southbank. Bar below seemed quite good too but we aren't big drinkers so we never visited but heard good things about it.

Hello there! Thank you taking the time to leave your comments. I'm glad you can appreciate the hard work of the housekeepers. We do have extractor fans in the kitchen but when it's busy it does get very hot unfortunately. Thank you again and safe travels :-)

The location was good because it was right by the central train station. The rooms were kind of small and the en suite was pretty blah. I didn't even want to take a shower in it. They didn't have a good travel desk so even though the front desk was willing to help make bookings, they didn't really know much.

Hey there, Thanks for leaving your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the bathrooms, our housekeepers clean them throughly every morning but it is hard to keep them clean throughout the day if other guests are messy. We don't have a travel desk at reception because we have one at our sister hostel at Base Central that operates during business hours. Thank you again for your comments and safe travels, The Crew at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

Recommended. A+++

Hey there, Thank you for your fantastic comment.. short but sweet i like it!!! Thanks :-D

We stayed in a 6 bed female dorm with an ensuite. We we're very impressed with the cleanliness of the room and bathroom. There was only one other person in our room and she was hardly in, so we pretty much had the room to ourselves. Only downside was having no lockers in the room, and not a lot of plugs. Miles cleaner and a much nicer atmosphere than Base SYDNEY! We used our night refund from there to pay for one of our nights here. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

Hey there, Thank you for your comments. I love it when I hear what a great stay guest have had. I'm also very happy that you appreciate all the hard work the housekeepers putting in making this place as clean as possible. Thanks again and safe travels. :-)

I ve bien upgraded for 2 nights ! Staff is very kind and helpful. The location is perfect.

• 17th Feb 2014

Hey there, Thank for your comments. I'm gald your appreciate the free upgrade and the best staff in Brisbane! Thanks again and safe travels :-)

Room was very small and cramped, bathroom was dirty, no air con or fan.

Hello there! Thanks for your comments. We do actually have AC in every room and floor in the building. If your AC however wasn't working during your stay we would have happily upgraded you to a room where it was working. Thanks again and safe travels :-)

10 bed share dorm could do with more plug sockets (only 2 to serve the whole room) and in other Base Hostels I have stayed in there have been lockers available for free in the rooms rather than ones you have to rent in the lobby. Kitchen could do with a bit of improvement. Other than this, a great Hostel and good value for money, great location opposite Roma Street Station and short walk to the main center. Met some great people here, and the hostel bar is great. Would definitely reccomend

• 4th Feb 2014

Hello! Thanks for your comments I am aware that we need more power points in the rooms. We are looking at a few solutions with the electricans at the moment. We are also looking at getting secure under bed storage which will help the security in the dorm rooms. Other then that I'm glad you had a fun stay here and met some awesome people, it always makes the trip alot better with good friends. Thanks again and safe travels :-)

I stayed in this hostel for 3 month and it was a very nice place to stay the staff were very helpful and friendly and they were probably the best thing about my stay there, Shout out to Sabo!!! The rooms were clean and it was really easy to meet people there, the kitchen area was fine but did get crowed at times but that's normal in a hostel, also the plate box set was a very good idea as it meant always having your own stuff. The bar also had good deals like $10 jugs Awesome time thanks guys

• 31st Jan 2014

Great hostel, friendly people and good deals in the bar downstairs. Only bad point is the kitchen equipment needs a refurb and a new toaster is needed! but overall great stay!!

Hey there, Thank you for your lovely comments! I will organise a new toaster ASAP so thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'm very happy you had a great stay and enjoyed not only the hostel but the bar aswell. Safe travels and hopefully we'll meet again, Sabina at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

Good nothing special hostel. Staff was friendly and helpfull. Kitchen and facilities are alright. Only thing missing is a free locker that everyone needs. You don't want to spend 3 dollar a day on a locker if you just paid 30 dollar for your room (same with internet, PeterPan is across the street for that).

Hello! Thank you for no only staying at our hostel but for leaving a review aswell. Good news, we are working on getting under bed storage in the dorms but until then we unfortunately only have the paid lockers. I'm very happy you thought the staff were friendly and helpful that puts a big smile on my face. Enjoy the rest of your time in Australia! :-)

Great location, with good facilities! Hostel rooms are spacious with good bathrooms! The hostel facilities are very good, but the kitchen gets very packed due to te number of guests. There is a good bar down stairs though with good food. Hostel is kept very clean and tidy

Hey there, Thanks very much for taking the time to leave your comments. It's me so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the hostel and yes I agree the food at the Guilty Rogue is great and cheap prices for backpackers. Thanks again! Sabina at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

Very nice and clean hostel, WiFi is extremely expensive and the kitchen the worst equipped I have ever seen - 2 big knives are not enough :-D But it compensates this with an awesome location, just across the street from the train/ Greyhoundbus station, as well as McDonalds were you can get free WiFi and cheap icecream. The Hostel is in the middle of the city everything is in walking distance and the common room has a friendly and cosy atmosphere.Would stay there again!

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I love reading comments like yours! Thank you for letting me know about the equipment in the kitchen, I will make sure that I order some more kitchen utensils ASAP. I agree our location is definitely one of the best (if not the best in Brisbane). Thanks again and safe travels, Sabina at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

It was the second time i stayed at Base Uptown and i really enjoyed my stay. I booked a female room and i was very surprised that i got a towel and things for the toilet when i arrived. It felt like a stay in a hotel! The room was very nice and big. By the way, the location is perfect, especially when you are travelling by bus because it's right next to the transit center and it's so close to the city.

• 22nd Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

Hey there, Thank you so so much for your lovely comment!! It absolutely makes my day when I read feedback like yours. All the best and safe travels. Sabina at Base Brisbane Uptown :-)

Location is excellent , staff very friendly, cheap internet which works and its fast. Bar downstairs which discounted drink + food. Rooms have air-con and ensuite. The kitchen is the only negative . No air vents in there making the room get very hot when all hobs are running, but its manageable .

Hey there, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. I do understand how hot that kitchen gets and it is something that we are working on. Thank you for bringing that to our attention. I'm very glad you enjoy staying at our hostel and especially that you think our staff are very friendly. See you around, Sabina at Base Uptown :-)