Base Brisbane Uptown (formerly Tinbilly) Reviews

462 George Street, Brisbane, Australia

We were in a 4bed dormitory with private bathroom. We were expecting it to be much worse,but the bathroom was very clean as well as the room. Overall the hostel isn't in very good conditions, the air conditioned was loud and freezing. The worst was the kitchen which had no cutlery or plates,you had to lend them from the reception!! There was dvds and board games as well but you had to lend them as well,for a deposit. It is a huge hostel,very industrial but was good for a night.

• 11th Mar 2015
  • Portugal

Read regulations and what you are entitled to ,don't b ashamed to ask Because Nobody explains things on arrival. Regarding security, you get a card that wirks as a key to the elevator and to your room(as well as disscounts on drinks in two bars)there were no lockers so everything in your room is in the mercy of those who stay with. I haven't heard of any incidents during my 5 Days. Atmosphere depends largely on who stays with you, the staff r worth getting to know, friendly people

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Shower dripped all night. Toilet bowl could not be flushed as all water went straight through, Card switches are very sensitive so not operating comfortably. No cups or cutlery in kitchen.

• 27th Feb 2015

The hostel was really nice and well-located! Very near to transport centre and lots of sightseeing places.. Unfortunately you have to pay for wifi, you can only get cutlery for a deposit - but there is free pasta and free rice for all hostel-residents which is a very nice idea :) The hostel itself is really big with a few floors.

Was upgraded into smaller room which I was delighted about. Beds steady

Good head clearance for bunks and clean bedding. No locker in room (hence Average score for security). Location is an easy 10mins (or less) walk from Brisbane museums and galleries in South Bank, and very close to Roma Street train station (with direct connections to the airport) and transport interchange. Quite decent food in the attached pub/bar.

Gteat location for trains and transit center plus walking into central! Couldn't fault this place! Can't comment on atmosphere as we were only here one night but the bar looks pretty good (although they need to have a lesson in cooking a full English properly).

Room generally ok, bathroom clean however there was no hot water at all. We stayed there for 3 nights and I complained on the first night about the no hot water from the shower, the staff actually knew about this problem but still continued to book people into this room. No other room or discount in price of the room was offered to us. Reception staff were grumpy and unwelcoming. The kitchen was very very dirty, hated using it. Food store extremely hot as it's close to the washing room.

The Hotel is located right at the train station. A big advantage for people who need to go to the airport or the greyhound pick up. You shouldn't expect too much but the rooms are ok and the cleanliness is ok too. The room had an aircondition and it worked well. It depends on the room how much space you have for your luggage- it is not much ;) It was pretty expensive for a four bed dorm but I received a towel, and bathroom supplies that was nice. A safe in the room

I have been to many hostels during the last two month but I never had such a dirty bathroom. Even my boyfriend said it is disgusting. The double rooms are a bit nicer (and cleaner) and the air condition was doing a good job cooling the room down. I didn't use the hostel kitchen but after seeing the bathroom in the dorm I decided not to use it. I have been to thee different base hostels and they all were pretty dirty. Can't recommend the chain when it comes to cleanliness. The staff was friendly

Nice hostel, in the CBD of Brisbane. A good point is that it was one of the few hostels in Australia with air conditioner (that works) in the room. However, it doesn't have lockers in the room, only in the third floor, and it cost 3 AUD/24h and there wasn't lockers for everybody in the hostel, so I have to keep my things in the backpack or take then with me. Sugestions: more sockets and (free) lockers in the room.

Great hostel only thing is it is far too hot to sit in the common area and eat as no air con and washers/dryers on with no windows ahhh..try the salmon frm the guilty rogue restaurant it is beautiul

This is the second time I have stayed here. I like this hostel due to the fact it is close to Roma Street station very secure aswell as you need a key card to get in the lift to get to rooms.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I have to agree that our location and the security are two of the best features of our hostel. I'm very happy that you decided to come back and stay with us again. Safe travels, Base Brisbane Uptown

Not very clean. Our room smelt like someone had urinated in the corner. Toilet/showers not very clean.

The atmosphere was not very good, staff was really nice though but the rooms were small and had not enough space to put your luggage somewhere where it does not bother anyone. Kitchen was average but no cuttleries and the facilities were poor. I really did not enjoy my stay there. Would not recommend it if you're into a little bit of space and a bit of comfort.

Very good location, only a short walk to the Queens St Mall. Friendly staff. Rooms okay, except for the airconditioning which you can't adjust. It was freezing so had to turn it off altogether which meant having no lights as well, as they are both operated with the same keycard. Kitchen doesn't have enough knives etc. - difficult to cook. You get a set of dishes for 10$ which is not enough to cook and you have to keep them in your room and carry it around which is annoying.

Very good location. The staff are very nice. The rooms are nothing special, but there is a living room and dining room quite spacious. Also the kitchen is well equipped. regarding the daily free pasta,... In recepcion they give you a bag or two bags of pasta that you have to cook it.

This was my first stay in a hostel and I found it a very cost effective accommodation option. Although I can't compare it to other hostels, I found this establishment to be safe, friendly and comfortable. If I travel through here again, I would certainly choose it again.

• 26th Nov 2014

Too many beds in one room, so cramped, dark, no space, communal area is poor, about a 10 minute walk into the city centre and no places to eat close by other than the bar downstairs!

Really good location (2 mins from Greyhound, 10 mins from shops and 15 mins from lagoon).. clean rooms, kitchen felt like a sauna