Base Camp Antigua Reviews

7th Street poniente, 17, Antigua, Antigua, Guatemala

Staff are lovely, breakfast is good, security is very good, and it's a nice bonus to have the ping pong table and free netflix for chill time.

Everything was great, my only complaint is that the staff are all volunteers. While they were all super friendly and helpful they did not know enough about Antigua to give any advise on how to get around and answer some of the questions we had. However they were all extremely friendly and nice so we didn't mind having to figure it out ourselves/

The staff was amazing and friendly!

Base Camp is a super chilled out place. Friendly staff, moderately clean and definitely worth the money. Although I would recommend that you check the availability for the hikes before you book the room. They retain your passports until you return the key. I was leaving early the next day, so they insisted I return the key by 5pm the previous evening so that I could get my passport back. That restricted my ability to move around, which was slightly painful! But otherwise, a good pick!

Ideal place to go on a volcano hike !

Little quiet and only place I've been where they wanted to keep my passport at reception. besides that great place with Netflix to chill out

they don't have a kitchen for use. nice otherwise

The beds are very comfortable and there were black-out shades in the room which helped with sleeping in. Sound travels pretty well but we were so tired that it didn't really matter. The hostel volunteers were very nice but the other official staff seemed more interested in talking with us only when they were trying to sell us on a volcano trip.

A great team works here. excellent for taking the volcano trips.

I was staying the first time at OX Base Camp hostel and it was awesome ! I planned to stay one night but extended 4 nights more ! Actually never felt this welcome during my travels. The OX team is like a family. I even got a lollipop when I arrived. I can highly recommend this hostel: perfect location, nice rooms, free netflix (yeaaaah :D !!), ping pong, nice terrace with hammocks, AWESOME BREAKFAST !! Also if you want to hike a volcano you are in best hands with OX !! Thanks OX base camp !

• 8th Jan 2015

We had requested two nights but they only had room for one (it was a discrepancy between HostelWorld & their booking system; not fault of the hostel). We were dismayed and inconvenienced, but they graciously discounted our night's stay for us and helped us try to find another hostel. The hostel itself was quaintly set up. The negatives were that the room did not have enough blankets, it was loud as the rooms were located around the common room, and there was no privacy outside of the bathrooms.

I was very unimpressed with this place. The smell from the dirty toilet turned me off my very basic breakfast. The vibe was pathetic, even at Christmas. Having a couple as volunteers is a big mistake, watching them watch Netflicks is like social napalm. The rooftop terrace is a dive. Thank god i had friends in others hostels to hang with. There are some awesome hostels in Antigua (Tropicana, Terrace, Zoola) and of all the ones i saw this was the worst in every respect.

Great staff very friendly helpful and knowledgable. The hostel is NOT a party hostel, it is geared up for people who like to adventure and may be getting up early, consequential not full of drunken disrespectful idiots.

We had a great stay at the hostel. The free breakfast is great eggs and beans and the happy hour deals are an added bonus :)

A fantastic hostel for hanging around, chilling out and meeting people, either around the large breakfast table, while playing ping pong or on the terrace. If you are planing to do any hiking this is definitely the place - so you can leave early and come back tired directly from and to your hostel. One of my best stays so far.

• 14th Dec 2014
  • Denmark

real nice hostel in the center of everything, the taco place in front is excellent. they organise amazing tour also.

Be aware that they DO NOT honour hostel world deposits... Meaning you have to pay full price anyway when you get there. Nice place to stay for a night or two, no vibe really, good location, no kitchen, nice tv area.

O.X. Basecamp in Antigua not only fulfilled, but exceeded my expectations! The hostel is placed in a perfect environment, it takes only minutes to walk wherever you want to go. It is clean, warm and welcoming and I even got a lollipop when I arrived! The volunteers are very helpful and the free breakfast was so yummy. I remember sitting every morning at the table, having great conversations with fellow travelers and hanging out on the awesome terrace in the evenings.. Simply loved basecamp!

• 26th Nov 2014

Great stay here, nice chilled-out vibe with a good crowd. Lovely crew who worked there - special thanks to Rosie and Sylvia for putting on a fun Thanksgiving dinner for all of us, Maribelle is a star and Ox tours were brilliant for my hike up Acatenango Volcano. Would stay here again!

I stayed in a dorm at Basecamp. The beds and bathroom facilities are basic, but the hostel has nice touches: Rooftop garden, 'chill cave' with Netflix, ping pong in the courtyard. Pros: Cool staff, A+ location, tasty tipico breakfast. Cons: Hot water theoretically available in showers, but never worked (only an issue in winter), a bit noisy (music played from circa 7AM-10PM). Be mindful of the trek schedule—trekkers will all get up around 5:30 AM to organize their things. Bring earplugs!