Base Camp Antigua Reviews

7th Street poniente, 17, Antigua, Antigua, Guatemala

Beds are 3x high, rooms are tiny with concrete floors, facilities were bare minimum and zero atmosphere.

The dorm rooms were spacious and had small lockers, but no windows so were gloomy. Towels are provided and there are 2 bathrooms and a 3rd shower shared between all guests - before 7am I didn't have to queue but did later. So if you want to get up later be prepared to wait or go to a cafe to use their bathroom! The breakfast is simple and served from 8amThe kitchen is quite well stocked but small so workspace is limited. Better hostels nearby for the same $ and better facilities.

Ping pong table, warm showers, free lockers for valuables and small bags, good free breakfast of eggs, beans and rolls, volunteer staff and permanent friendly and efficient, comfy beds, and the all important chill-out Netflix cave make this a great choice for us.. So much so we returned to make sure we did the overnighter to Acatenango which I highly recommend. Wish there were more than two toilets when it's busy and three showers get filled up in the morning but it just means timing.

• 20th Mar 2014

I stayed in a six bed dorm and there were really thoughtful little touches like curtains around each bunk, a little shelf next to each bed with a power socket and reading light. The hostel is inside the OX tours office so I didn't see it easily from thestreet. Big kitchen, roof terrace and reasonable communal areas with ping pong table and TV room. Lots of information about activities. I was only there one night midweek and it was very quiet.

8 of us arrived lat - 10pm - and it took 20 minutes for someone to let us in, then the volunteer - who had not had any training - had no idea what to do with us. Needs to be better organised. Facilities were good.

There are only two toilets and since they also are also showers, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get in there in the morning. All the guys were peeing in water bottles because of the insanely long waits in the morning. Other than that, this place is really not very clean. I really wanted to like it here because the staff were extreamly friendly and helpful (and the showers were hot!) but we still had to switch hostels after a couple days because of how gross the place was and because of the bathroom sit

Staff super friendly, and helpful. Breakfast included in the price. Tours are expensive but not more than elsewhere I guess.

• 21st Jan 2014

I stayed at Base Camp on my first night in Guatemala and had a wonderful time. The staff really makes this place welcoming, and I enjoyed spending time with everyone. Thanks guys :)

Good location and the tours they offer are awesome. You can get the best of both worlds here, you can come back after a hike and chill out, play some ping pong and sleep in a really comfy bed. On the flip side if you want to party there are bars and restaurants all around but just not a lot of partying going on inside the hostel so you can get a good nights sleep. I'd stay here again for sure. The tour up acatenango was awesome as well, highly recommend it!

The staff at Base Camp were some of the most warm and welcoming people we met in Guatemala. They were extremely helpful to us while we got our bearings in Antigua. The facilities are very clean and comfortable. All of the mattresses are tempurpedic quality. Seriously, they were the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hostel! The free breakfast is also very filling, and more generous than the typical fruit/bread breakfast you find at most hostels. Base camp is like home away from home.

Fun atmosphere with very friendly staff. Very convenient if you are participating in an early morning tour because you wake up and you are already there.

• 27th Dec 2013

Look for OX, Basecamp is not displayed on the building. Very helpful staff, especially Jude!

The place to stay to DO something around Antigua!

Really nice hostel. Good beds . The staff were always helpful and friendly. Loved it.

It is always a pleasure to have great guests like you who stay with us for almost a week. We are glad you had a great time. Please visit us when you come back through Antigua. You always have a home at BASE CAMP. :)

I stayed at bace camp for a few nights and it was awesome.Being an adventure company and a hostel makes the atmosphere really good. The place looks really cool, the rooms are unique (for example, Bruce Lee room!) and the breakfast was delicious .Plus the tour we took was the best tour I took, high quality - guide and gear! The hike was challenging and a lot of fun. And I have mention the staff ,volunteers and workers, really friendly and helpful ! Highly recommended if you're going to Antigua:)

After staying at two other hostels in Antigua we found Base Camp, we were asking about the volcano tours and luckily we found out they also had a hostel. We ended up climbing the Volcano Acatenango and staying at Base Camp for 4 days. It was great! It has nice rooms, a ping pong table and a great breakfast! When we stayed there it was only the first week it was open but it was easily the best place we stayed in Antigua. Relaxed fun atmosphere with really friendly staff. Highly recommend!!!

• 3rd Nov 2013

I stayed at O.X basecamp for 2 weeks and it's still one of my favorite hostels I've stayed at on my trip so far. The staff are welcoming and super chill and always down for a game of ping pong or a beer. I loved staying in location that was relatively close to all the hot spots in Antigua and If you're interested in volcano treks or mountain biking these guys take there tours very seriously and strive to give you the best experience for what you payed for. Yes I would recommend this hostel.

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Nicaragua

Awesome place! Rooms and facilities were super clean, beds were really comfortable too! Staff were friendly and knowledgeable, always happy to help. Really cool hostel, good price, great people, ping pong table and an awesome vibe, would definitely recommend!